Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » What was the first concert you went to? « Previous Next »
Archive through July 19, 2008Johnlodge30 07-19-08  10:18 am
Archive through July 20, 2008Mama_jackson30 07-20-08  11:23 pm
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Terridarlin
Username: Terridarlin

Post Number: 64
Posted on Monday, July 21, 2008 - 9:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Doors in 1970 was my first concert, and my first date. I can't believe my parents let me go at 14. Fantastic concert, and not a bad date either.

Jiminnm
Username: Jiminnm

Post Number: 1735
Posted on Monday, July 21, 2008 - 1:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

First concert (ignoring the DPS days at the Detroit Symphony) was The Righteous Brothers and Peter Nero at Hill Auditorium in AA in 1965. The Righteous Bros were super hot at the time, but Peter Nero amazingly stole the show with his incredible piano work.

Dianeinaustin
Username: Dianeinaustin

Post Number: 73
Posted on Monday, July 21, 2008 - 1:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think my first concert was Alice Cooper at Cobo in 70 or 71. Can't remember clearly back so long ago. :-) I think the tickets were $3.00 and $5.00.

Dannaroo
Username: Dannaroo

Post Number: 205
Posted on Monday, July 21, 2008 - 1:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My first was Lollapalooza in 1994 at Pine Knob with the Beastie Boys, Smashing Pumpkins, L7, Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, the Boredoms, George Clinton and the P-Funk All Stars, A Tribe Called Quest, Guided by Voices, The Breeders, The Flaming Lips...

What a great show for somebody's first real exposure to live music!

Carolcb
Username: Carolcb

Post Number: 4478
Posted on Monday, July 21, 2008 - 1:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My first concert was Chicago at Pine Knob around 1971 or 72. Ditto on being at the Olympia Elton John and the Belle Isle concerts. I think the Beach Boys might have been with Chicago but I cannot remember.

I do remember getting a ride from EMU to Olympia - I stood up and the end of every class that week asking if anyone was going and could we ride with them. Finally got a ride with a girl and her boyfriend in a jacked-up Plymouth......it was quite a ride.

Awfavre
Username: Awfavre

Post Number: 272
Posted on Monday, July 21, 2008 - 2:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ronnie Milsap at the Ionia Free Fair in 1979, followed by Shaun Cassidy a couple days later. I was 10. (That’s my excuse, & I’m sticking to it.) I saw the Charlie Daniels Band & the Beach Boys there the next year.

By the way, the Ionia Free Fair has a cool page on their website showing concerts by year.
http://www.ioniafreefair.com/h istory/ifgstand.htm

Steelworker
Username: Steelworker

Post Number: 1116
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 11:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

dannaroo im jealous of your first concert.

Belleislerunner
Username: Belleislerunner

Post Number: 421
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 2:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Clay Walker - Pine Knob - 1995. Yawn...

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 6684
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 2:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My Dad took me to my first show. I saw Gordon Lightfoot at Massey Hall in Toronto... Must have been around 1984?

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 1059
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 2:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gordon Lightfoot was also my first concert - he will be in East Lansing in september, and you can bet I will be there

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 10233
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 3:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rush in about '81 or '82 I was about 8 years old.

Detroitmaybe
Username: Detroitmaybe

Post Number: 146
Posted on Monday, July 28, 2008 - 9:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

new edition and al b. sure

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 2214
Posted on Tuesday, July 29, 2008 - 3:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

grateful dead at rich stadium in '92, sting was the opener, i was 16

Wanderinglady
Username: Wanderinglady

Post Number: 52
Posted on Tuesday, July 29, 2008 - 5:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Jackson Five at the Michigan State Fair in 1971. I was six, but my older sisters were teenagers, so they brought me along. I can remember the screams of thousands of teenage girls drowning out the music.

Sharmaal
Username: Sharmaal

Post Number: 1336
Posted on Thursday, July 31, 2008 - 10:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Radiohead - '97. I believe this was the last time they came to Detroit.

Django
Username: Django

Post Number: 1505
Posted on Friday, August 01, 2008 - 4:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe I was at that show at Rich Stadium Gravity. I dont remember any details though, I do remember someone giving me a brownie.

I believe the GDs stop after Buffalo was Albany NY. I saw all three shows and theyve now been put on disc under the name "Dozin at the Nick"
I happend to be dosin at the Nick myself for at least one of those shows. I was never a big fan of their East Coast shows.

Django

Post Number: 1506
Posted on Friday, August 01, 2008 - 4:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ill be lookin for Gordon Lightfoot tix in Sept. Im a big fan of his work. Thanks Spirit, I had no idea he was coming.

Steelworker
Username: Steelworker

Post Number: 1118
Posted on Friday, August 01, 2008 - 11:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

sharmaal im jealous. I had to travel to tennessee to see radiohead. Then they are coming to indy soon but on a sunday night.

Long_in_the_tooth
Username: Long_in_the_tooth

Post Number: 108
Posted on Friday, August 01, 2008 - 12:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1968. I was 9.
Johnny Cash with the Carter Sisters at Cobo Hall.
Jerry Reed was the opening act.
I remember when he sang "The Green, Green Grass from Home", he changed the words to "it's good..to smoke.. the green, green grass from home."

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 2368
Posted on Friday, August 01, 2008 - 7:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

"it's good..to smoke.. the green, green grass from home."

Gives "Walking the Line" a whole new meaning.

Oliverdouglas
Username: Oliverdouglas

Post Number: 186
Posted on Sunday, August 03, 2008 - 1:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1974 or 75 - Michigan Theater (now Detroit Opera House) Fleetwood Mac still playing a lot of their bluesier stuff and Flo and Eddie.

Optima
Username: Optima

Post Number: 20
Posted on Sunday, August 03, 2008 - 7:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I saw Uriah Heep open for Jethro Tull at Cobo. During their encore the Heep destroyed the stage and some repairs had to be done before Tull came out. It must have been 1977 or so...

The last show I saw was Joe Jackson sans guitar with his original drummer and bassist of 30+ years at Michigan Theatre in AA...quite an awesome trio and show in general...back in the spring...

Kennyd
Username: Kennyd

Post Number: 26
Posted on Sunday, August 03, 2008 - 9:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My buddy and I saw Rush, "Fly by Night" with Manfred Mann at the Michigan Palace about 1974. We got dropped off and had no ride home to Warren. Good thing my mom gave me ten bucks just in case. We took a taxi.

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 884
Posted on Monday, August 04, 2008 - 12:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

REO Speedwagon with 38 Special as the opening act at IMA sports arena in Flint circa 1980.

Gibran
Username: Gibran

Post Number: 3442
Posted on Monday, August 04, 2008 - 12:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rod Stewart and Small Faces: or JGiels same year can't remember who was first..did remember Rod rolling down his window and asking us what we thought of the show and if we wanted to come to his party...:-) said we can't my dad is here to pick us up....man just think...

saw the Who in the silverdome..must have been a rash of people not wanting to give up their seats..remembered many people peeing and puking in the audience....

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 4363
Posted on Monday, August 04, 2008 - 7:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

asking us what we thought of the show and if we wanted to come to his party... said we can't my dad is here to pick us up....man just think...

Funny. Maybe you could have brought your Dad along too? :-)

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 1131
Posted on Monday, August 04, 2008 - 8:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Django - check out whartoncenter.com
I ordered tickets last week, and the lower level was nearly filled already. The website lets you know how many seats are available, so you might want to check and see how quick they are going.

Django

Post Number: 1531
Posted on Monday, August 04, 2008 - 9:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good tip Spirit, thanks.

Gibran
Username: Gibran

Post Number: 3447
Posted on Monday, August 04, 2008 - 10:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I could have seen that .... :0 he and Ronnie Wood were have had so much to talk about...

Jita1
Username: Jita1

Post Number: 37
Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2008 - 7:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, I believe my first concert was the Temptations sometime in the mid 70's. My dad took me and I think it was either at Cobo or Olympia. I think David Ruffin was back with the group then. All I remember was a big screen that showed them putting on their outfits backstage in fast motion and then they came out. Does anybody else remember that show?

Lodgedodger
Username: Lodgedodger

Post Number: 361
Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2008 - 9:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Huey Lewis and the News, Sports Tour '84

Moetown
Username: Moetown

Post Number: 7
Posted on Saturday, August 30, 2008 - 1:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think it was 1979 or 1980, rainbow at cobo, with pat travers opening.

Cozmikdebris
Username: Cozmikdebris

Post Number: 114
Posted on Saturday, August 30, 2008 - 10:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My first show was the Moody Blues at Cobo in March 1972. I think John Denver opened. My second was Led Zeppelin in June 1972, also at Cobo.

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 563
Posted on Sunday, August 31, 2008 - 2:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Aunty Alice & Megadeath 2/13/87 @ AT THE JOE.

Thames
Username: Thames

Post Number: 220
Posted on Sunday, August 31, 2008 - 3:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1977, Bob Segar and the Silver Bullet Band. I still have the tee-shirt. :-)

Lodgedodger
Username: Lodgedodger

Post Number: 483
Posted on Sunday, August 31, 2008 - 7:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Huey Lewis and the News
Sports Tour '84

(Message edited by Lodgedodger on August 31, 2008)

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 1449
Posted on Sunday, August 31, 2008 - 4:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sonny & Cher - Michigan State Fair 1972 or so.

LOL, I beat everyone for SUPER-COOLNESS! tee hee

I was like 12 or whatever and wanted to BE Cher so badly.

Sharmaal
Username: Sharmaal

Post Number: 1353
Posted on Sunday, August 31, 2008 - 5:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sports '84! Boy, am I jealous! I have seen Huey and Co. a few times in the past decade and it's always a great show. I can only imagine what it was like then!

(Message edited by sharmaal on August 31, 2008)

Qweek
Username: Qweek

Post Number: 559
Posted on Sunday, August 31, 2008 - 9:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

First concert was Roxy Music at the Winterland Hall in San Francisco, I was in the eight grade. I think I had a life changing experience & after that I was never the same. Maybe it was the music, maybe it was the cloud of smoke and the swaying people and the beating in my chest...all I knew for sure is that I wanted more as long as I am breathing!

I want to share a web site with you all, a concert extravaganza...just about anything your ears wish they could hear again! Log in and enjoy.

http://concerts.wolfgangsvault .com/

Alfie1a
Username: Alfie1a

Post Number: 71
Posted on Monday, September 01, 2008 - 12:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Johnny Winter 1972 Cobo Arena.

The coolest was seeing ELP "The Works" tour in 1977. They did 3? consecutive nights at Cobo. I worked at Cobo at the time and was able to see all the shows. They had a full orchestra with the conductor on a hydraulic platform. Drums and piano were also mounted on hydraulics, raised up 15 or so feet from the stage and Keith Emerson's grand piano would revolve. It was quite a spectacle. They musta had 20 semi trailers out back.

Bongman
Username: Bongman

Post Number: 1600
Posted on Wednesday, September 03, 2008 - 3:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

March, 1976 - Aerosmith, Foghat, Ted Nugent, and The Outlaws @ the Pontiac Silverdome.

Er' I mean Pontiac Metropolitan Stadium. Those of you too young to remember, they had to change the name. The "PMS" jokes as related to the Lions was too much for the City of Pontiac to endure.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.