Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » Concert you WISH you had attended? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Grumpyoldlady
Username: Grumpyoldlady

Post Number: 176
Posted on Sunday, July 20, 2008 - 8:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What was the concert that you most wish you had attended but didn't? For me it was Elvis at Olympia. I had to opportunity to go with the TV2 film crew, but was working that night. They brought back a program for me. Second choice would be The Beach Boys back when Dennis Wilson and all other originals were still together. I still want to go to see them, even though they aren't the same.

Alley
Username: Alley

Post Number: 422
Posted on Sunday, July 20, 2008 - 8:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jimi Hendrix and Otis Redding @ Monterey. I wasn't even a thought at the time, but if I could go back in time, I would die happy

Thnk2mch
Username: Thnk2mch

Post Number: 1335
Posted on Sunday, July 20, 2008 - 8:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eagles "Hell Freezes Over" at Tiger Stadium

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 3429
Posted on Sunday, July 20, 2008 - 8:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dresden, 14 April 1789, during Mozart's Berlin journey. The debut of his 40th Symphony in G Minor was on that occasion.

Frankg
Username: Frankg

Post Number: 423
Posted on Sunday, July 20, 2008 - 8:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nudestock - at the Turtle Lake Nudist Resort in Union City MI.

Lnfant
Username: Lnfant

Post Number: 65
Posted on Sunday, July 20, 2008 - 9:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Franz Liszt, anywhere

Django
Username: Django

Post Number: 1410
Posted on Sunday, July 20, 2008 - 9:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Any show of the Minutemen during their last few years.

Lnfant
Username: Lnfant

Post Number: 66
Posted on Sunday, July 20, 2008 - 9:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Liszt had a peculiar posture while he played the piano (and flirted)– t'wood've been entertaining to see him in action (he was a hottie I hear).

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 2275
Posted on Sunday, July 20, 2008 - 9:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The T.A.M.I. concert of 1964. I remember seeing the James Brown video, and that the Rolling Stones, upon seeing his performance, refused to go on after him.

* The Barbarians
* The Beach Boys
* Chuck Berry
* James Brown and The Famous Flames
* Marvin Gaye
* Gerry and the Pacemakers
* Lesley Gore
* Jan and Dean
* Billy J. Kramer and The Dakotas
* Smokey Robinson and The Miracles
* The Rolling Stones
* The Supremes

The concert was held at the Santa Monica Civic Auditorium over a 2 day period in November, 1964. Free tickets were distributed to local high school students. Jan and Dean emceed the event and performed it's theme song, "Here They Come (From All Over the World)". Jack Nitzsche was the show's music director. The acronym "T.A.M.I." was used inconsistently in the show's publicity to mean both Teenage Awards Music International and Teen Age Music International.

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 9438
Posted on Sunday, July 20, 2008 - 9:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Woodstock, my friend and I planned on going, but both our cars were iffy, so we passed.

I was at Goose Lake, does that get me points?

(Message edited by jams on July 20, 2008)

Bigb23

Post Number: 2278
Posted on Sunday, July 20, 2008 - 9:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You ARE old. :-)

Pgn421
Username: Pgn421

Post Number: 717
Posted on Sunday, July 20, 2008 - 9:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

J GEILS @ The Cinderella Ballroom on Jefferson back in the 70's

Eriedearie
Username: Eriedearie

Post Number: 2395
Posted on Sunday, July 20, 2008 - 10:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mine was Elvis at Olympia. I had the chance - tickets were $25.00, but I had to buy new tires at the time and just couldn't spare the extra expense. One of my major regrets in life that I'm still kicking myself for. The tires are long gone and so is the car I put them on - but the memory of seeing Elvis in person would have lasted me my whole life.

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 9439
Posted on Sunday, July 20, 2008 - 10:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Bigb23

Post Number: 2278
Posted on Sunday, July 20, 2008 - 9:55 pm:

------------------------------ ------------------------------ --------------------
You ARE old.

Not by my choice
It just happens

Bigb23

Post Number: 2283
Posted on Sunday, July 20, 2008 - 10:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey - **it happens, relax. (I'm 53)

It takes longer to rest than it did to get tired.
Your back goes out more than you do.
You're proud of your lawn mower.
Your arms are almost too short to read the newspaper.
You are cautioned to slow down by the doctor instead of by the police.
You give up all your bad habits and you still don't feel good.
You sing along with the elevator music.
You learn where your prostate is.

http://www.dribbleglass.com/jo kes/you_are_old.htm

Grumpyoldlady
Username: Grumpyoldlady

Post Number: 177
Posted on Monday, July 21, 2008 - 5:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Better to get old than NOT get old!

Gingellgirl
Username: Gingellgirl

Post Number: 184
Posted on Monday, July 21, 2008 - 9:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Raconteurs on June 8th. Had tickets. Couldn't get out of my neighborhood due to the storm. Damn storm.

Downriviera
Username: Downriviera

Post Number: 821
Posted on Monday, July 21, 2008 - 11:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Sensational Alex Harvey Band and Mott The Hoople at Masonic. Still pissed I missed this show.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 3431
Posted on Monday, July 21, 2008 - 12:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Mott The Hoople"

Huh? What the hell's a "Hoople"?

Django
Username: Django

Post Number: 1420
Posted on Monday, July 21, 2008 - 12:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have to change mine.

The Doors, at least any Doors concert where Jim Morrison could stand up.

Dianeinaustin
Username: Dianeinaustin

Post Number: 72
Posted on Monday, July 21, 2008 - 12:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I saw Johnny Cash at a Willie Nelson concert in the mid 80's, however I would have liked to have gone to a concert where he was the main act. Also, I would have liked to have seen Ray Charles.

Downriviera

Post Number: 823
Posted on Monday, July 21, 2008 - 1:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dianeinaustin,

Did you ever see the Austin based reggae band the Killer Bees back in the mid to late 80's?

Scout
Username: Scout

Post Number: 16
Posted on Monday, July 21, 2008 - 1:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jane's Addiction at St. Andrew's for $5 in 1988 (IIRC). I was in college and my reason for not going was that I was tired. How lame.

This is especially egregious, as I was the one person who had a car in the group that was thinking of going. So, none of them got to go, either.

I hear it was a great show!

Dianeinaustin

Post Number: 74
Posted on Monday, July 21, 2008 - 1:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DR Yes, and a lot of other good reggae bands since the late 70's. The last concert I saw in Detroit was Bob Marley at the ?Olympia? in 1978. Have you seen them and where?

Downriviera

Post Number: 824
Posted on Monday, July 21, 2008 - 1:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The keyboard player from the Killer Bees is a good friend of mine. He's now in Shreveport. Spent some time on the road with the K Bees, took in one of their shows at Liberty Lunch. Great band. Only none Jamaican band to play Reggae Sunsplash in Jamaica.

Dianeinaustin

Post Number: 76
Posted on Monday, July 21, 2008 - 2:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

liberty lunch
I miss Liberty Lunch. Last show I remember seeing was John Lee Hooker in the 90's. You must have had fun on the road with those guys.

Crash_nyc
Username: Crash_nyc

Post Number: 1086
Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - 5:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Woodstock '94

We had tickets and were in New York!

One year before I moved from Detroit to NYC, I drove to NYC to stay with a friend for a few days before our planned drive up to Saugerties (about 110 miles north of NYC). The night before the festival began, someone plowed into my car (parked on the street in the East Village) and wrecked it, rendering it undrivable.

I had to spend the weekend dealing with with police reports, a tow yard, and repair shop. We were relegated to watching the festival on TV.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2945
Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - 2:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sinatra...on any of his last stops in Detroit. In '82, we bought tickets for our parents to see him at Joe Louis Arena. Now I wish we had gone with them or maybe one of his later shows at the Fox Theatre.

Mama_jackson
Username: Mama_jackson

Post Number: 381
Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - 4:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

David Bowie in his Ziggy Stardust days.

Stones in the 70's.

Jimi Hendrix, Janice Joplin and The Doors.

Obviously, the last three were not available due to their untimely death. But I wonder at quiet times, where would Jimi's music have taken him if he hadn't died. What a talent and what a sad waste.

Raptor56
Username: Raptor56

Post Number: 400
Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - 5:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

--J GEILS @ The Cinderella Ballroom on Jefferson back in the 70's (agreed)

--The MC5 at the Grande Ballroom

--The Ramones at CBGB's in the early days

--Iggy pop and the Stooges (early 70's)

--The Original Woodstock

--The Doors at UofM

--Queen (pre aids)

--Led Zeppelin (mid 70's)

--Kiss at Cobo (saw them at COPA a few years ago. I can only imagine how bad @ss the original lineup was)

--Monsters of Rock 1984 and 1985 (UK), 1991 (Russia)

--Johnny Cash and/or Merle Haggard at some podunk country bar somewhere.

--New Years 2000 at the Silver Dome (Metallica, Kid Rock, Ted Nugent)

--Yanni Live at the Acropolis

And I'm sure there are a few more that will pop in my head as I'm driving home from work tonight. A few of the greatest concerts I've been to:

--Stone Temple Pilots and red Hot Chiili Peppers together at Pine knob

--Aerosmith at the Palace (1998 or 99)

--David Bowie 2004

--Nine Inch Nails 2005 (happy mosh pitting)

--Yanni at Pine knob (mid 90's)

--Nugent/Kiss/Aerosmith comerica park 2003 (kiss was better than expected adn made up for Aerosmith's slightly lack luster set)

Alley
Username: Alley

Post Number: 430
Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - 6:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wow, NIN and Yanni in the same post!

Flanders_field
Username: Flanders_field

Post Number: 747
Posted on Wednesday, July 23, 2008 - 1:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

NIN: New Years Eve @ The Palace 1994 BIG mistake missing that one!!

Humble Pie: early 70s @ Cobo

Alice Cooper w/original band: mid-70s @ Cobo

AC/DC w/ Bon Scott: late 70s @ Cobo

New York Dolls mid 70s wherever they were

Deep Purple: early 70s @ Cobo

Alice In Chains: early-90s Pine Knob

Black Sabbath w/Dio: (Dio w/o Black Sabbath also) late 70s @ Cobo

The Who: 1980 @ the Silverdome

Heart: late 70s @ Cobo

The Cars: likewise

California Jam 1974

Damn...got a bit carried away there, I could list a dozen more but that will do...LOL!!

Diane12163
Username: Diane12163

Post Number: 55
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 12:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

David Bowie--Serious Moonlight Tour
Iggy Pop--Bookies Club 870 for all 7 nights
Woodstock(1969)
Monterey Pop
The last Memorial Day techno fest in Downtown.

Gibran
Username: Gibran

Post Number: 3510
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 12:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

van Morrison...Austin
missed Bowie in 1974 (got grounded)in D

..but saw JGeils instead...

had to miss Nora Jones and Stones two years ago,...

Gary
Username: Gary

Post Number: 329
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 2:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The original Temptations Reunion Tour (circa 1981, maybe '82) when the late David Ruffin and the late Eddie Kendricks re-united with the group. Had tickets in hand, but got into a major verbal altercation with my then fiance that night, so we didn't go. I should have left her sorry a$$ at home and found another date for the evening.

I still regret not seeing that concert to this day. DAMN.

Gibran

Post Number: 3530
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 4:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yeah Gary that would have been a good one..at least just in my "imagination"

Gibran

Post Number: 3531
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 4:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

remember the Bowie concert Butch and Tim? I think you guys got to go....

Diane12163

Post Number: 66
Posted on Friday, August 08, 2008 - 5:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If that was 74, it would have been the Return Of The Thin White Duke tour as he had "killed" off Ziggy Stardust back in 73. In 75-76, he had the tour that featured the albums Low, Heroes and Lodger. I'm pretty sure it was a more limited tour than the Thin White Duke one. He would have featured Diamond Dogs, Aladdin Sane, Hunky Dory and The Man Who Sold The World in Thin White Duke. He concentrated on the Rise And Fall Of Ziggy Stardust And The Spiders From Mars album for the Ziggy era along with Space Oddity. His Serious Moonlight concentrated on his Let's Dance album. His Glass Spider tour focused on his Day In Day Out album with inferences to Scary Monsters And Super Creeps and his previous classics. Then there was The Sound And Vision tour which had him doing a smattering of songs from the past. I got to go to Glass Spider, Sound And Vision and Outside. His Outside tour had him and Nine Inch Nails doing the Outside album and their hits. Since the Outside tour he has done Area 2 with Moby, VH1 Storytellers, A&E live concert where viewers could call in requests and numerous personal appearances like Live Aid. He had a heart attack about three years ago but is back in the best shape he's ever been. He has www.bowienet.com which is his own personal site and he is also a ISP provider when you join Bowienet, you can get internet for $9.99 extra every month. He's married to Iman and they had one daughter, Alexandria together. She has a daughter otherwise and he has his son Duncan Heywood Zowie Bowie from Angela.
Well, before I can give this a title and call it a novel, I shall quit typing. :-) Much to the relief of her readers.

Gibran

Post Number: 3553
Posted on Friday, August 08, 2008 - 11:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wow great memory... I was just sad thatI has sitting in my basement listening to him on the record player...I am doing good just to remember the year..

Diane12163

Post Number: 68
Posted on Friday, August 08, 2008 - 12:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you Gibran. I'm just a major Bowie fan. I was listening to him on public radio when I was just 5 and they played his stuff from The Mannish Boys, The Lower Third and KingBees when he still was David Jones, his original birth name before he changed it to Bowie because of Davy Jones of the Monkees.

Gibran

Post Number: 3568
Posted on Friday, August 08, 2008 - 3:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

isn't it amazing the lives or should I say the bands that these guys came from that are still going strong..Van Morrison, Eric Clapton, Rod Stewart,,et al...then you realize how old they are and yikes...social security time...

Douglasm
Username: Douglasm

Post Number: 1119
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 5:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I used to drive Michigan Avenue to Ypsi as a change from the expressway when I'd go back to EMU after a weekend in the city.

One Sunday evening as I was driving back to school, I passed a little bar with Bobby "Blue" Bland's bus parked by the side door. Always wish I'd stopped to listen.

Joni Mitchell's early shows at The Chessmate would fit into that catigory too......

Jita1
Username: Jita1

Post Number: 40
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2008 - 4:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wish I had gone to at least one of the seven opening shows of Prince's Purple Rain Tour at the Joe.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.