Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » Why Did The Pot Call The Kettle Black? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 2898
Posted on Sunday, July 20, 2008 - 9:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I mean, what if one isn't white?

Better yet, what if both of them are stainless steel.

However, the black kettle might call the white pot racist because he called him black.

On the other hand, the pan feels left out because it's dirty.

Oh what to do...

Alley
Username: Alley

Post Number: 423
Posted on Sunday, July 20, 2008 - 9:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

how 'bout smoke a BOWL?

lolol, nah, I'd never advocate THAT!

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 2279
Posted on Sunday, July 20, 2008 - 10:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Diane12163
Username: Diane12163

Post Number: 205
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2008 - 4:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As long as the pot and kettle match and look nice on top of the cooker that is the main thing.

Now, where did the expression "Now you're cooking with gas come from?" I mean you could have an electric cooker, or a wood burning one. And if you are cooking with gas, you need a GasX. Perhaps it was someone who ate beans for lunch and then when they cooked dinner were told by their spouse or something that they were cooking with gas which would be quite distasteful and smelly and cover up the nice smells of the food cooking. It might be loud too and if done too close to the cooking heat could cause a very bad event indeed.

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 1679
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2008 - 9:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Diane, I believe the phrase "cooking with gas" came from a advertisement promoting gas ovens in New York City. Gas, of course, is cleaner than coal or wood so the phrase came to mean doing something that was new, efficeint and and clean.

Which sort of brings up the term "range" as it relates to cook stoves. A cook stove has the firebox on one side of the oven and on the other side was the water tank. You filled the water tank from the hand pump and it was kept warm by the fire. In between was the bake ovens and stove. The closer to the firebox the hotter it was; hence, you have a range of heat from very hot near the firebox, to warm water on the far side.

Least that's what mom told me.

So one side of the oven was hot

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 8303
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2008 - 11:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You can type "garbage" on a keyboard without using your right hand.

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 1394
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2008 - 11:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't own a cell phone

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 1555
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 5:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

YOU DON'T OWN A CELL PHONE?

Me neither! My cell phone owns me. :-(

Diane12163

Post Number: 216
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 11:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Can you hear me now?"

"Can you hear me now?"

"Can you hear me now?"

"Can you hear me now?"

Alfie1a
Username: Alfie1a

Post Number: 52
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 7:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just realized, on my keychain are nine keys. I only need 3 of them. Do you think that, on a subconscious level, it makes me feel more important?

hey Gnome. i've often sat and wondered why it was called a range. Thank you so much for that. Now i can finally move on to more important matters.

Nainrouge
Username: Nainrouge

Post Number: 3143
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 11:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Turning in my keys one by one when I move gives me a feeling of release from my old life and a sense of adventure to face the new. You should always face a new phase of your life with an empty key chain.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 8373
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 2:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you do that, I guess you'll have to walk to your new phase.

Nainrouge
Username: Nainrouge

Post Number: 3198
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 6:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Up until now, I have flown - or rented a truck. If I rented a truck, I got a new key. That counts. :-)

Diane12163

Post Number: 227
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 8:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I got a brand new pair of rollerskates and you've got a brand new key

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 1421
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 9:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

johnlodge, see what you started!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.