Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » Ghosts from 40 years back. » Archive through May 10, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 3064
Posted on Monday, April 28, 2008 - 8:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I miss Tponetom's musings. Maybe I can fill the gap a bit with a story about what occurred over my computer during the past fortnight.

In another life when I was with the DPD, I accumulated a box of writeups by and about me during my career. Lots of them were citations and commendations, all of which will get you a cup of coffee if you have a dollar to go with it. I finally got around to putting them into looseleaf form last year.

About the first of this month, I was looking through them, and thought it would be interesting to Google some names of people I'd had contact with years ago.

Got quite a few hits, mostly gentlemen who I arrested for one thing or another who are still guests of Michigan's prison system. Anyway, I typed in the name "Warren Albert Galoner", and got this hit from a Genealogy web site:

"Looking for any and all information on Warren Albert Galoner, born in 1936, died 1988. He was my father who left his family and I'm trying to get information on his life."

Well, the paper I had was a commendation I received for arresting him in a stolen car in 1968, and he was 31 at the time. It fit. Didn't remember the details, of course, but it struck me that the writeup had his DPD identification number. So I took a chance and e-mailed the poster.

She was Shirley Lee Weinberg, now living in Tennessee. I worded the contact most carefully because of the nature of the information I had. She was delighted! She knew of his record with the DPD, and among other things, was desparately seeking a photograph of him. She remember him warmly as a child, but he left when she was rather young. Her mother destroyed all photos of him.

Well, I told Shirley I'd be glad to send her a copy of the writeup I had, and added that since I had his DPD mug number, perhaps I could obtain his photograph. I think she was squealing with delight when she wrote back, yes, yes, please!

I then emailed a friend of mine on the Livonia PD, asking if he got down to 1300 Beaubien on business, could he stop in at Central Photo and pick up the mug shot, explaining the circumstances. My pal got right on it, and today I received the photos. He sent me three copies, so I kept one for my looseleaf binder, and immediately re-mailed the other two to Shirley.

And now, among Shirley's family research and records, she has a photo of her father. Here is how he looked in 1968, and I feel kind of good about it all.

Ragtoplover59
Username: Ragtoplover59

Post Number: 253
Posted on Monday, April 28, 2008 - 9:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ray1936, You did a good thing! Shirley had to grow up without her Dad although no fault of her own, But the Internet (and your connections) can help fill in the missing pieces!

Alan55
Username: Alan55

Post Number: 1614
Posted on Monday, April 28, 2008 - 10:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes Ray, that was above and beyond the call - good job. You took the time to reach out and help.

It's sad, however, that this poor woman's whole life, right from childhood, has been colored by the actions of her dead-beat dad and his immoral actions. Even though the loser has been dead 20 years, his past actions are still impacting his relatives today. In some respects, it might have been better if she had known nothing at all about him.

Eriedearie
Username: Eriedearie

Post Number: 1386
Posted on Monday, April 28, 2008 - 10:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I miss Tp's musings too!

This is such a nice thing you did for Shirley. As a little girl growing up without her birth father, I know she would be anxious for any pictures or information that anyone would have. Ray, you're one of the good guys! Thanks for doing that for Shirley. :-)

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 5023
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 1:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

(trying to imagine what it would be like to be happy to have a police mugshot of one's father, and for that to be the only picture one had of one's father)

See Ray, this is why I think that you should write a book, you too are a great storyteller.

...and a class act.

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 3998
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 7:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You should send that story to Ancestry magazine.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 12584
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 11:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It won't be just ghosts, Ray you just tightened up our six degrees of separation some. Using the Internet for things they couldn't have imagined.

Keep this up, we'll get two-tiered and joy like this will harder to access!

Cheers!

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 1143
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 12:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

seems that Warren Galoner has some unclaimed money that is being held by the State of Michigan, Ray you should let Shirley know she may have some money coming to her.

https://treas-secure.state.mi. us/unclaimedPropertyStatic/unc laimedProp1617.asp

Ray1936

Post Number: 3067
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 1:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good work, Gnome. I've forwarded the link to her along with the cut&paste of the precise entry. Will let you know if she lets me know of any follow through.

DYesers: Serving fellow man through the internet! :-)

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 6420
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 2:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ray1936. See if your buddy can find jjaba's mug shot down to Central Photoshop. jjaba believes you have his real name. It might be tougher since jjaba has the negatives and prints, the DPD stating since the case was thrown out, there is no record. It was a civil rights arrest, and totally bogus. The date was April 04, 1965. The police wanted jjaba so much they sent two detectives right to his door in an unmarked car.

Ray1936 did a nice Mitzvah for Shirley. He shall be known for his Mitzvot.

jjaba.

Ray1936

Post Number: 3068
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 2:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Will do, AP.

Rustic
Username: Rustic

Post Number: 3235
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 4:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

damn that mug shot looks more like someone pushin 50 than pullin 30 ... if that is the same guy that Ray arrested that is what is called a HARD 31 ...

J_stone
Username: J_stone

Post Number: 428
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 4:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Ray - Did you ever know a Frank Nardoni who was with the DPD during that time?

Ray1936

Post Number: 3069
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 5:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, Jstone, sorry to say that the name fails to ring a bell in my foggy brain.

Jjaba

Post Number: 6423
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 6:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Ray1936. See what you can find since jjaba has a letter saying he has no record with the DPD, including mug shot copies, and negatives. Also, jjaba has his finger prints.

These are cherished souvenirs from so long ago.

jjaba.

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 2315
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 7:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I pulled my 1965 pocket secretary and see that April 4, 1965 was a Sunday and there is a notation that my folks and my wife's folks were visiting us in Birmingham for a Sunday dinner.
And to think that a few miles South of us in the C of Detroit, jjaba was being hustled into a squad car and being carted downtown with siren whailing and lights flashing, and all this on a Sunday no less. Sounds like the cops had nothing better to do that day.
The next day it appears I was in OCCC before Judge Thorborn and I am sure that had I know the Great Westsider then, I could have arranged bail for him.
Probably would have been stiffed on the atty fee, but pro bono work is good for the soul.

Gannon

Post Number: 12650
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 11:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL...amazing, Rock.

Can't believe your secretary still lets you pull on her.

Ray1936

Post Number: 3110
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 1:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pro bono: Latin for "The defendant is the attorney's brother-in-law."

Just kidding, Rock. Can't believe you still have your notes from forty years back. On the other hand, checking my files, April 4, 1965, I was half-way through cycle training on Belle Isle, and Sunday would have been a day off. I probably sat in a hot tub most of the day hoping all the black and blue marks would go away. So it wasn't me who tried to put Jjaba in the slammer.

Gannon

Post Number: 12659
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 1:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

April 4, 1965

Being less than 2, I'm sure I simply ate, slept, cried, laughed, and shit. Not in any particular order.

All the things I had on my schedule today.

Some things never change...

...'ceptin' me needing a secretary...

...then maybe I can schedule some outdoor things better.

The_rock

Post Number: 2320
Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2008 - 7:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember seeing you guys, Ray, over on Belle Isle with your cycles going through training. You may have been rookies, but you still commanded attention as about 10-12 of you in two columns would be cycling around the Island.
Kinda reminded me of that old 50's movie, starring Marlon Brando/Lee Marvin called "The Wild One". Ever see it? Great flick. Banned in England for a good ten years. I still have a old VHS copy of it in living black and white.
Marlon,good looking dude, tough as nails, until the very end when he finally cracks a smile.
Easy Rider, Rebel Without a Cause, eat your hearts out. Marlon set the standard.Even if they didn't ride Harleys.

Jiminnm
Username: Jiminnm

Post Number: 1644
Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2008 - 11:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

4/4/65

My wife to-be's 17th birthday. She was probably in class at Mackenzie HS. Me, I was roaming the halls of Cass Tech wondering how to fill out college applications.

Ray1936

Post Number: 3115
Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2008 - 12:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Aha, Jiminnm...you didn't read close enough. It was Sunday. Did you and the Missus really like school THAT much? :-)

Rock, for some time one of my favorite flicks was "Electra-glide in Blue"....remember that one? And, I dunno, I think Brando looked better with the cotton in his cheeks as Don Corleone.

The_rock

Post Number: 2323
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 7:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Electra? You gotta be kidding, Ray. Robert Blake over Marlon? Blake had his best days in Our Gang comedies. But it's opinions that make the world ( and The Forum) go round.
Oh, yes, I think Marlon and Lee rode Indians in Wild One. Not positive, as I had a Cushman. Not stylish, but dependable. ( Speaking of 40 years back).

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 6630
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 9:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cushman, eh? Back when AIW worked for a Tier 1 auto supplier, we used to have Cushman electric tow cars, to pull the carts around the plant. Interesting to hear they used to be in the consumer market.

Ray1936

Post Number: 3117
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 1:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rock, it wasn't the marginal acting of Robert Blake in that flick that turned me on, it was the spectacular background scenery (monument valley, AZ/UT).

Best part of Wild One was having that trophy wired to Brando's handlebars. I could'a done that. With bowling trophies, of course.

Jjaba

Post Number: 6480
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 1:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ray1936, so teach Barack gutter-ball Obama how to bowl, will ya?

jjaba, Tower Bowl in Wyoming and Fenkell.

Ray1936

Post Number: 3119
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 5:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From what I saw, he's beyond teaching, Jjaba. His coordination just isn't there.

Ray, Crest Lanes, Grand River and Meyers. ("We have Color TV in our lounge").

The_rock

Post Number: 2328
Posted on Saturday, May 10, 2008 - 8:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

High school chum, Peter Welty actually bowled an 11 at the former Bloomfield Lanes which used to sit just south of the former Fox and Hounds. He later tripled that score at the former Birmingham Lanes that used to sit south of the former Peabody's market on Hunter. (Everything is now "former" from my high school days).
Peter drove a Bellaire convertible in the 50's, I had a Crosley and a Cushman. Ted Berz (Berz airport)had a Whizzer placed on his Schwinn. Berz passed me once on his Whizzer as I was driving the Crosley. Humiliating.

Wonderful memories,lousy bowling and mediocre transportation. Jury's still out on those motorcycle movies. No Barack back then. We had Ike and he played golf, not very well.
Ghosts from the past--55 years ago.

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 548
Posted on Saturday, May 10, 2008 - 11:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ray, not to be nosy, but were you born in 1936, or joined the force that year, or is it just a number?
I ask because my father was on the force from 1937-1973, and I just found a few clips in some of my mom's stuff. He retired in 73 as Inspector.
His name was James A. Cole

Ray1936

Post Number: 3120
Posted on Saturday, May 10, 2008 - 11:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Born in '36, Jcole. I remember your father's name...I think he was a Detective Inspector, wasn't he? Never had the pleasure of working under him, but I recall hearing a lot of good about him.

My DPD years were 1959 - 1984.

Rock, Ike was a mediocre golfer, but I still envy his membership at Augusta. Jeez, what a beautiful golf course. In my next life, I'm coming back as Tiger Woods.