Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » Ravine's 2500th: Nothing To See, Here « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 2500
Posted on Thursday, July 31, 2008 - 2:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know that the occasion of my 2500th post on DY has all, or some, of the significance of an old Harlequin Romance paperback, a Jerry Bruckheimer Production, or a pile of soggy leaves stuck in the gutter, but having noticed that my post-count had reached that number, I couldn't quite bring myself to allow the post to be just another boring, burdensome, verbose, judgmental, self-important, high-handed and alienating snarl from Yours Truly.
Against my most sincere intentions, the smart money is on my allowing it to be many of those things, anyway.
I have really enjoyed this forum, and I must thank Lowell Boileau for assembling this software/verbal Erector Set and maintaining it. The effort may not be entirely selfless-- and after all, how many human acts truly are-- but I'm sure that it is mostly thankless, so Hey Lowell, if you're reading this post, Thanks!
I have interacted with some very nice, and sometimes very informative, folks in here. It has been a pleasure. I hope that some of you might feel the same about me. I'm not one of those people who boldly claims that he doesn't care, at all, about what people think of him. (Almost 100% of the folks who make that claim are stating it to impress the listener, thereby directly contradicting the statement.) I do care. Not too fucking much, actually, but a little bit.
I could make a real goddam award-acceptance speech, out of this post, by listing a bunch of screen-names of people who have made an impression on me, but even I am not that ruthlessly maudlin or precious.
However (always with the "however," I know, I know,) I do want to deliver a salute, and a thank-you, to one woman and one man, for their apparent ability to, through my words alone, zero in on my particular (and peculiar) personality and, on various occasions, "give me what I need."
Pam: Thanks, ma cherie. I have always appreciated your stepping in, on occasions when I was away, and sort of "explaining Ravine" to persons who seemed to be completely failing to "get" my posts. I wouldn't really endorse anyone as my interpreter, but you are closer to that than anyone here, you and...
Smogboy, who also knows how to push aside the dense thickets of my verbosity & vulgarity and identify what I am really trying to say, specifically about my beloved (and currently bedraggled) Tigers, and who has dashed to the roof, on more occasions than I can count, to cajole me away from the edge, at which I was teetering while spewing profanities, over-blown declarations, and all manner of bile & spit.

And lastly, a special nod to Karl. Yes, Karl. I should not speak for Karl, but I am going to go so far as to make a statement which could be seen as my doing so. I am fairly sure that I am safe in making this statement.
A nod to Karl, because (I think) Karl & I learned, or, more probably, re-learned right here, and through each other, that sometimes, that person who makes such a bad first impression on you, and who seems so completely opposite to you, and who almost seems as though they stand for everything that you stand against, is-- if you keep an open mind, an open heart, look a little closer & dig a little deeper, you might see it-- a person who is not so different from you, after all.
Corny? Oh, yeah. Absolutely true (in my experience)? Oh, yeah(squared.)

Ravine, Over & Out!

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 4335
Posted on Thursday, July 31, 2008 - 3:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, not sure how I feel about being on a list with Karl but thanks.

Your cranky but literate rants have often been entertaining. Congrats on 2500.

Ravine

Post Number: 2501
Posted on Thursday, July 31, 2008 - 3:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pam, thank you (again!)
"Cranky but literate." Tres bien! See, that's what I mean. You "get" me.
I would venture to say that one could insert a baker's gross of adjectives, in the spot where you used "cranky," and be reasonably accurate, just so the adjectives were followed by "...but literate." That's right, goddamit! That is the one arena in which I am willing to slap leather with anyone, and I would advise the opponent to have an undertaker, and casket, on hand.
And Pam, dear, I'm sorry about your feeling queasy about that one aspect of my post. Don't think of it as being on a list with Karl. It's not a list, and you are not "with Karl."
However (arrggghh... again with the "however!,") maybe there is something, to that, for both you & Karl to ponder...

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 1360
Posted on Thursday, July 31, 2008 - 3:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I liked reading your post, Ravine. The lines about Karl made me smile. That was nice.

Eriedearie
Username: Eriedearie

Post Number: 2531
Posted on Thursday, July 31, 2008 - 4:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ravine, you are one of my favorite posters here. Congratulations!

Jimg
Username: Jimg

Post Number: 1018
Posted on Thursday, July 31, 2008 - 5:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ravine, greetings from a fellow music nut, etc, etc, etc. All the best, my man. I am saluting you by listening to Eric Dolphy.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 3483
Posted on Thursday, July 31, 2008 - 5:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can't listen to Eric Dolphy. I'm busy listening to Ravine.

Ravine

Post Number: 2506
Posted on Thursday, July 31, 2008 - 6:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, it is true that Dolphy & I are both Out To Lunch, although I would like to think that is not the reason for Jimg's musical selection.

Thanks, to Kath, Erie, Jim and Ray.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 7930
Posted on Thursday, July 31, 2008 - 6:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I also enjoy your posts, Ravine. You shore write purty.

Has it been over 2 years already? How the time does fly. You are my favorite of the verbose posters. My scroll wheel is nearing replacement from reading them.

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 876
Posted on Thursday, July 31, 2008 - 9:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You scolded me once or twice I think,but I forgive you and enjoy reading youre posts!

Vetalalumni
Username: Vetalalumni

Post Number: 1073
Posted on Thursday, July 31, 2008 - 9:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Another fellow music enthusiast here saying, "go on" Ravine :-)

Ravine

Post Number: 2507
Posted on Thursday, July 31, 2008 - 9:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ah, Johnlodge; always good for, at the very least, a laugh, and frequently a source for a good bit more than my petty amusement. Your scroll wheel comment is more proof of my opinion that you are one of the most naturally funny citizens of the morbidly multivariate melange which we call DetroitYES! (Sometimes I think we should call it DetroitOhIsuppose,whynot...)
Terryh! Good of you to come by. You may not have seen the post, but I once defended you, on the basis of the fact that, whatever else one might think or say about you, you are disarmingly up-front about where you stand on certain, well, er, ah, shall we say, somewhat SENSITIVE issues. I respect you for that.
And, Terryh? You wrote, "you scolded me once or twice I think..." Terryh, believe me: if I was truly, sincerely scolding you, there would be no room for uncertainty on your part, mon ami.

Thanks, Johnlodge and Terryh.

Ravine

Post Number: 2508
Posted on Thursday, July 31, 2008 - 9:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Forgive me; I see that another guest has graciously stopped by. (This is more fun than I would have imagined; without intending to do so, it seems that I have thrown a party for myself and, incredibly, people are actually willing to attend.)
Vetalalumni, thank you. While Jimg & I have determined, beyond all reasonable doubt, that we have somewhat similar tastes in music, I would also say, based merely on your posts alone, that if you and I were to exchange record collections, each of us probably would have a blast poking around through the other's stuff. (Then, naturally, we both would want our own shit back!)
Please, go listen to "Vulcan Worlds" at ear-bleeding volume, for me...

Upinthewoods
Username: Upinthewoods

Post Number: 69
Posted on Thursday, July 31, 2008 - 11:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey ravine shoot me a e-mail ajbcbtechrock@yahoo.com

D_mcc
Username: D_mcc

Post Number: 1101
Posted on Friday, August 01, 2008 - 2:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Though we have "yet" to bump heads...except for maybe some slight disagreements on our beloved boys of summer, I appreciate and out and out sincerely enjoy reading your diatribes Ravine, usually passionate and full of solid opinion based reasoning that is tough to disagree with.

Here Here!

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 5164
Posted on Friday, August 01, 2008 - 9:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Congratulations, Ravine. I can barely hear over the din of early Fleetwood Mac, but you always come through loud and clear.

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 5165
Posted on Friday, August 01, 2008 - 10:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

oops

(Message edited by oldredfordette on August 01, 2008)

Ravine

Post Number: 2513
Posted on Friday, August 01, 2008 - 2:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, D_mcc. "Tough to disagree with?" That's a real compliment. I don't like to draw an empty gun. If it's only my opinion, and I don't have a damned reasonable thing with which to back it up, I consider that opinion to be an empty gun, and brandishing it is like saying, Hey look, everybody, I've got a gun.

Oldredfordette, I wanted to say a little something, to you, in my original post (above,) but the post was already starting to bulge, and as I wrote, I didn't want to cause the band to start playing and the curtain to begin drifting inward. Now, I will tell you that I highly respect your involvement with the Women In Black and your refusal to just sit and "be O.K." with the current situation.
Please, if you would, hit me with "Rattlesnake Shake" followed by "Miles Away."
Fleetwood Mac was so good, when they were scuffling around FM rock radio, barely noticed and selling just enough to get by.

Rel
Username: Rel

Post Number: 771
Posted on Friday, August 01, 2008 - 2:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ravine, I raise my glass to you!

I have enjoyed reading your posts :-)

Islandman
Username: Islandman

Post Number: 1798
Posted on Friday, August 01, 2008 - 2:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ditto!

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 5172
Posted on Friday, August 01, 2008 - 3:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, and you got it!

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 2416
Posted on Friday, August 01, 2008 - 8:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good for you, Ravine! There's good pith in all your posts. (No lisp, see?)

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 1349
Posted on Monday, August 04, 2008 - 6:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll drink to that!

(...and silently realizing I have made WAY to many posts on here the past few months... and my special numbers were all one word or worthless... :-( ).

Here's a toast to your next 500!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.