Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » Crossing to canada today: bridge or tunnel??? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Lakesuperior
Username: Lakesuperior

Post Number: 222
Posted on Friday, August 01, 2008 - 9:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i've got to get over to canada today to catch a reservation-only ferry. i can't leave work too early so i need to maximize my time-- will it be quicker to take the bridge or the tunnel at 5:30pm today? and about how long can i expect it to take to cross the border? (knowing that any estimate could end up totally wrong of course...)

thanks!

Eriedearie
Username: Eriedearie

Post Number: 2544
Posted on Friday, August 01, 2008 - 10:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh Gosh! That's a tough one on any given day, much less on a Friday! It will be busy either crossing at that time. With this one you've gotta take your chances. If you're taking the Pelee Island Ferry you'll want to head down Huron Line off the bridge. If you take the tunnel, you'll have to weave your way through downtown Windsor to get to Huron Line. You'd probably shave a few minutes off if you took the bridge.

But really, to be sure to arrive on time for the ferry, I think I'd leave work about an hour early. Only because it is the start of a holiday weekend over here and the OPP and Windsor Police cruisers will be patrolling Huron Line and thereabouts for speeders. Keep in mind 60 km/h on that road. They enforce it!

Hope this is helpful.
Good luck - happy travels!

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 4341
Posted on Friday, August 01, 2008 - 10:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They have traffic conditions listed. Check before you leave.

http://www.dwtunnel.com/

http://www.ambassadorbridge.co m/bridge-report.php

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 1738
Posted on Friday, August 01, 2008 - 11:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The tunnel has always worked faster for me because there is little to no commercial traffic going through it. It seems like the bridge is all semi trucks at times.

Lakesuperior
Username: Lakesuperior

Post Number: 223
Posted on Friday, August 01, 2008 - 11:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thank you all very, very much! i'm worried about my missing my 7:30 ferry to pelee island as this will be my first trip there so i don't know how everything works yet. i had NO idea it was a holiday in canada this weekend either!

Eriedearie
Username: Eriedearie

Post Number: 2546
Posted on Friday, August 01, 2008 - 12:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yep, Monday's Civic Holiday - the Canadians will be out enmass! LOL

And the other way around - they will be hitting the Detroit Metro Area you can be sure of that!

Have a good one!

Dtowncitylover
Username: Dtowncitylover

Post Number: 235
Posted on Friday, August 01, 2008 - 3:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I prefer the bridge because at least you have radio and a view to look at unlike the tunnel where you get inhale the smog of the cars and stare at white tiles, listening to the smooth sounds of static. I took the tunnel today with my mother and it was alright, took us a half-hour to reach the other side (USA)

Lowell
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 4928
Posted on Friday, August 01, 2008 - 11:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The bridge always if possible. The view is dramatic. Drive slowly in the lane closest to edge. Savor the view.

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 1917
Posted on Saturday, August 02, 2008 - 10:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tunnel is faster, especially if you have your act together.

And... you dont have to go West of Woodward to get to it. Whew.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 3240
Posted on Saturday, August 02, 2008 - 1:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would also go with the tunnel.

The last time I crossed over into Canada, it took me no more than 5 minutes to do so. All you needed was I.D. or driver's license. Plus, the traffic wasn't so bad.

When taking the bridge, you must have everyone's birth certificate (whoever else is in the car), and the custom checks are just too complicated.

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 1316
Posted on Saturday, August 02, 2008 - 1:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I refuse to take the bridge. Traffic always seems ten times worse, and I always end up getting searched. I don't think I have ever had a problem with the tunnel, when traveling into Windsor.

On a side note; It used to be that one was cheaper on the way there, but more expensive on the way back. I don't know if that's still the case.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 3241
Posted on Saturday, August 02, 2008 - 7:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^It was also slower going & quicker coming back (as far as I know).

News4400
Username: News4400

Post Number: 1
Posted on Sunday, August 03, 2008 - 12:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My point of view on the Tunnel is not to sell it, because it is good for traveling from this city to Canada. If it is not broke don't fix it. you couldn't change the name on it now KK wants to sell no, no. I remember when there was a Ferry that crossed over from Canada to Detroit. My mother would go over to shop at the meat market and buy her eggs. We were living in Old Black Bottom then. God how long ago that has been but i sure remember. Canada just told KK last week that they would not negotiate with him on the Tunnel while all of the felony charges are pending against him. So i'm wondering why is he keep beating this dead horse to death. Don't lay off these few working employees that are working because of the Tunnel deal. Keep laying off people and there will be no one here left to pay for anything much less for the 300.00 dollars he has put on us to pick up the garbage now. There will be only the old folks with Social Security left in this city trying to keep it together i guess. We're in one Hot Mess and this Dark Cloud thats hanging over this city now need to be moved staaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 3248
Posted on Sunday, August 03, 2008 - 1:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey News4400, and welcome to the DetroitYES forums.

I must say that was an excellent 1st post. :-)

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 7080
Posted on Sunday, August 03, 2008 - 12:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

News4400, thanks for the great post. Welcome to the Forum from the Westside.

jjaba, Proudly Westsider.

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 1347
Posted on Monday, August 04, 2008 - 5:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, yes, thank you for that.

As to why he keeps beating a dead horse... I honestly think he doesn't know it's dead. Either that, or he thinks it can still be resuscitated.

It will be interesting to see how he reacts if and when it finally "clicks".

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.