Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » Email link to our user names on this board « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ladia
Username: Ladia

Post Number: 59
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 7:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

is it possible that we can have an email link to our highlighted user name on this board.it has recently been done on the other boards on the soulful detroit side. that way we can email other members privately if we want to,without having to post private messages on the board.

Detroitduo
Username: Detroitduo

Post Number: 924
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 10:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are you kidding me? I don't want any of you losers emailing me! don't do it!

Mrsjdaniels
Username: Mrsjdaniels

Post Number: 1113
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 10:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^^that is what I like about the board...anonymity if you want.

you only know what I want you to know

Richard_bak
Username: Richard_bak

Post Number: 224
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 12:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why not? Nobody says you have to respond to an off-board email.

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 3137
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 12:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Most boards have an opt-in/opt-out provision for email addresses, but I don't know if this software allows for that. Only Lowell knows for sure

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 13705
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 12:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It used to be this way, and Lowell stopped it for whatever reason.

I'd defer to his reasoning...

Richard_bak

Post Number: 226
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 12:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As an alternative we can just post everybody's home addresses, phone numbers and bank card numbers. Gannon, you go first...

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 6041
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 12:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What Gannon said.

You could post your own email address like this:
\mail{JohnDoe@Organization.com ,John Doe} ...

which would produce this:
John Doe.

Most people prefer to use address munging to thwart automated e-mail address harvesting by spammers. Avoid using the @ character since that's what they look for.

It's best to use a disposable email address just to establish contact then exchange real addresses for further communication.

In the past I have posted a screenshot of my address which accomplishes the same thing.

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 964
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 1:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think an optional address listing would be great. i'd do it for sure!

Richard_bak

Post Number: 229
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 1:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Everybody call Lowell at his private cell, 313-555-9999, and let him know how you feel about this! And don't be afraid to call between 2 and 4 a.m.

Island
Username: Island

Post Number: 54
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 1:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can hardly wait... "Hi to you! This email is sending to you DisgustDetroit emails listed. You have WON! millions of CASH prizes! Send money Order please to be American $1,000.000 to claim your WINNNING PRIZE."

Richard_bak

Post Number: 230
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 1:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, lottery announcements AND introductions to healthy looking Russian and Thai women! See, the upside is tremendous!

English
Username: English

Post Number: 772
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 1:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you go to forum gatherings, you end up getting people's email addresses. The regulars who were around back in 2003-2005 know my real identity.

Another option would be a PM (private message) system, but it's up to Lowell. Frankly, I think the board is good enough as is. If you're out and about the city, you're bound to run into people. (I know that doesn't help the out-of-towners, but what can you do?)

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1969
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 1:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Richard... you have the old number, the new one is 313-867-5309 call between 12:00PM and 12:07PM

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 1538
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 1:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I called that number but somebody named "Jenny" answered and said "Tommy, don't call here again". And my name isn't Tommy. Strange.

My viewpoint is I read and write to the board, and there are only two people on the board who actually know who I am and how to contact me off-blog, and that's fine with me.

Eriedearie
Username: Eriedearie

Post Number: 2624
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 1:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nawwww - it's not necessary. It would be more hassle for Lowell, and he doesn't get paid to do the services that he is already providing. IMO

Mrsjdaniels
Username: Mrsjdaniels

Post Number: 1140
Posted on Friday, August 08, 2008 - 7:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

pm's yes

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 5240
Posted on Friday, August 08, 2008 - 9:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Agreed with the private messages. It might diminish some of the fighting and personal slams that occurs on the threads to keep them more focused. At least you would hope so. Beyond that, if someone wants to ask another user a personal or semi-personal question, the other could respond without telling the whole world.

If Lowell can do it, it would be great.

Vetalalumni
Username: Vetalalumni

Post Number: 1078
Posted on Friday, August 08, 2008 - 10:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Disposable email address is the way to go.

Diane12163
Username: Diane12163

Post Number: 77
Posted on Saturday, August 09, 2008 - 1:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is a free board online called Proboards which allows users to send PM's to other users with there still keeping anonymity safe. The Proboards are free to get and set up and you can choose skins, etc. Plus folks can have their own banners and avatars or if they want post their own pics. This whole forum and all of its extras can be easily converted to the Proboards.

Just a suggestion.
For an example and this is NOT advertising anything, this is ONLY for example:

www.phoenix00.proboards51.com

This is just a board I belong to for Days Of Our Lives and I just think it's a good example of a forum board. It just has the most facets.

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 1416
Posted on Saturday, August 09, 2008 - 3:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are thousands of Detroit Boards, but none of them with the quality and professionalism of Detroit Yes. I think it attracts the most knowledgeable crowd. The lack of bells and whistles is a plus I think. This site is the best at what it does. It seems like the bells and whistles really clog up the board, and detract from it. It's also easier to navigate on mobile devices than a few of the others.

Ladia
Username: Ladia

Post Number: 199
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 6:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lol at everyone's phone numbers and bank numbers.lol

i thought if we had an email option than we if we wanted to talk with one member,we wouldn't have to post it on the forum.

Lodgedodger
Username: Lodgedodger

Post Number: 603
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 11:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

But Ladia, we LIKE to listen to others' conversations! We're a nosey bunch. ;-)

*hug*

Frankg
Username: Frankg

Post Number: 643
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 3:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are DYes groups on Facebook and Myspace if people want to join them, they can contact some of the other members through there if they wish.

Tponetom
Username: Tponetom

Post Number: 326
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 7:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love those frozen, delivered to your door, Kansas City
Tpone steaks. They are delicious when served with some veggies
and a salad and some good Irish whiskey.
Peg loves them too, but without the whiskey.I say
“gee, the whiskey tends to help tenderize them.” I watch for the
mail man when we are expecting a delivery and when he
com es into view, I greet him with open arms.

I wonder how to get rid of that '&#' stuff.

Tponetom

Post Number: 332
Posted on Friday, October 03, 2008 - 4:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I never got any bites on this.
One more time:
I love those frozen, delivered to your door, Kansas City
Tpone steaks. They are delicious when served with some veggies
and a salad and some good Irish whiskey.
Peg loves them too, but without the whiskey.I say
“gee, the whiskey tends to help tenderize them.” I watch for the
mail man when we are expecting a delivery and when he
com es into view, I greet him with open arms.
(P.S. It is relevant to this post)

Maof2
Username: Maof2

Post Number: 842
Posted on Friday, October 03, 2008 - 5:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

mr. t - you've got me lost on this one:-)

Chuckjav
Username: Chuckjav

Post Number: 909
Posted on Friday, October 03, 2008 - 5:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tponetom....in your honor - on my way home from work - I purchased (4) t-bone steaks.

At $4.99 per pound, how could I resist?

Downtown_lady
Username: Downtown_lady

Post Number: 312
Posted on Friday, October 03, 2008 - 6:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just sent you an email Tponetom -- tell me if you receive it. :-)

Ragtoplover59
Username: Ragtoplover59

Post Number: 357
Posted on Friday, October 03, 2008 - 6:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm lost on this one too,, even my Space Patrol decoder belt buckle is of no help?
Darn modern TV shows, I'm sure they have ruined us!

Someone shine the Bat Signal to alert Jimaz to this thread. only he can save us now?

Ragtoplover59

Post Number: 358
Posted on Friday, October 03, 2008 - 6:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Even knowing that Downtown_lady has found clues to an Addy, I still don't see it.

I guess what bothers me the most, I'm not sure if it's because I'm too old, or too young?

(Message edited by Ragtoplover59 on October 03, 2008)

Chuckjav
Username: Chuckjav

Post Number: 911
Posted on Friday, October 03, 2008 - 6:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tponetom...dang-it; I am really, really trying to get through...deciphering as we speak.
I am at an impasse

Ragtoplover59

Post Number: 359
Posted on Friday, October 03, 2008 - 6:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^^^^^^
Why am I almost seeing a message in that, lol

Maof2
Username: Maof2

Post Number: 846
Posted on Friday, October 03, 2008 - 8:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tponetom - please, we are awaiting your explanation:-)

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 3719
Posted on Friday, October 03, 2008 - 8:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Omaha Steaks arrived today in the big styrofoam box packed with dry ice.

All of you...go away. BBQ tonight.

Tponetom

Post Number: 333
Posted on Saturday, October 04, 2008 - 3:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One and all:
I am totally delighted to have received four
replies.
I will definitely respond, (via Email and BCC,) to those replies.
I am sitting here, chuckling to myself. An Octogenarian, admittedly a little senile and demented, employing a CODE that I learned when I was nine years old. (Compliments to Tom Mix and the Ralston Straight Shooters.)
O. K. First of all I will NOT reveal the names of those who figured it out.
With that said: Go to the Post, "Paging Lowell" (Sept. 23)
Read Lowell's comments and then read my comments on that post.

If you don't figure it out, I will expose myself (no, not that way) tomorrow.

Think,,Purloined Letter!

Eriedearie

Post Number: 3677
Posted on Sunday, October 05, 2008 - 1:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tp - I've read this time and time again - I cannot wrap my mind around it! I am confuzzled! I never had one of those decoder doo hickeys.

Eriedearie

Post Number: 3678
Posted on Sunday, October 05, 2008 - 1:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh wait a minute - are you saying Omaha Steaks by Purolator Mail?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.