Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » High School Roll Call!! » Archive through July 01, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Kimistree
Username: Kimistree

Post Number: 156
Posted on Friday, June 27, 2008 - 10:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well Gannon I'm afraid I remember names and not faces. I can't remember what Tim Legel looked like. It's funny..We recently moved and I was looking for something in the attic, and I saw my old yearbooks. I have to dig it out and look Tim up.

I do remember Sam however, and I do remember that he partied. The last time I saw him was at our 20 year reunion. If there is a 30 year reunion I'm sure I will see him then.

Islandman
Username: Islandman

Post Number: 1644
Posted on Friday, June 27, 2008 - 10:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CT 88

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 2422
Posted on Friday, June 27, 2008 - 10:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Birmingham High-1954.
We're tied Ray36, but Tponetom has yet to chime in. He might have about 6 years "advantage" on us. jjaba won't even make the cut.

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 2075
Posted on Friday, June 27, 2008 - 10:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Carolcb, did you know any of the Mardiarosian's or Kubiak's at Wayne? I think the Mardiarosian closest to our age would be Theresa or Tony
And there are too many Kubiak's to try to name them.
Those were my cousins.

Carolcb
Username: Carolcb

Post Number: 4417
Posted on Friday, June 27, 2008 - 11:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jcole, gosh, I don't, and back then I thought I knew everyone. Maybe it is short term memory loss (only kidding).

Jcole

Post Number: 2086
Posted on Friday, June 27, 2008 - 11:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did you live in town in Wayne or out in the boonies? My cousins were east of Wayne Rd. North of Michigan on Thinbark next to the train tracks.
My grandparents house was on Palmer, just west of Wayne as well as my Smith cousins. My husband grew up at Palmer and Haggerty

Foxyscholar
Username: Foxyscholar

Post Number: 139
Posted on Friday, June 27, 2008 - 12:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Renaissance High School, Class of 1987....

Carolcb

Post Number: 4421
Posted on Friday, June 27, 2008 - 1:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I grew up south of Michigan Ave off Howe Rd, but I knew people in Thinbark & Palmer, plus I did my student teaching at Stevenson JH. I have Smith friends (I guess everyone does)...walked to school across Michigan Ave through the park and up the hill every day,I grew up like two blocks from Atwood park where the ice rink is.

Jcole

Post Number: 2096
Posted on Friday, June 27, 2008 - 1:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think the closest Smith cousins that went to Wayne were Ronnie and Roger, and maybe my cousin Denise
There were also the Ruthig's, but I think they went to John Glenn in Westland. My uncle owned Cliff and Al's transmission shop on Michigan, and my other uncle owned Jack's Bike shop on Annapolis

Caldogven
Username: Caldogven

Post Number: 170
Posted on Friday, June 27, 2008 - 2:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eriedearie -
What years did you go to Wright?
I went there in the fifties.

Eriedearie
Username: Eriedearie

Post Number: 2074
Posted on Friday, June 27, 2008 - 3:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Caldogven - I graduated in July 1965. I think you and I might be the only ones on the forum that went there! Do you remember Mr. Schimelfenning? What about the librarian Miss Hess? Just 2 names I can remember right now!

That was a great school, I loved every minute I was there. How 'bout you?

Carolcb

Post Number: 4424
Posted on Friday, June 27, 2008 - 4:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JCole, what were the cross streets on the Bike Shop? The transmission shop sounds familiar.

Jcole

Post Number: 2110
Posted on Friday, June 27, 2008 - 4:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think it was Annapolis at Inkster. He ran it out of a building in his back yard

Carolcb

Post Number: 4427
Posted on Friday, June 27, 2008 - 4:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Back when everyone had a bike and rode all the time - jeez, that is all we did - miles. If we weren't swimming at the city pool.

Caldogven

Post Number: 171
Posted on Friday, June 27, 2008 - 6:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eriedearie,
It was a great school. I remember Mr. Schiemel very well. Sad to say he has passed away. His son was a year or two behind me. All of the automotive teachers were just great. Mister Walters, Torres, Peters and all of the teachers! Misters Meiers, Burns, Foy, Tatum, Chapel, Weimer. Counselors Gordon and Kendall.
Miss Hess always reminded me of the typical spinster librarian. The girls came over from Goldberg just before I graduated. All of the guys thought that was great!

Eriedearie

Post Number: 2080
Posted on Friday, June 27, 2008 - 8:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Caldogven - yes I knew about Mr. Schiemelfenning passing. Tom Peters passed as well; a few years back, maybe 2002 or 2003 I think. Saw Mr. Tatum at the last reunion we had in 2001. The Weimer brothers - had them both - one for math I think and one for social studies. And your take on Miss Hess is perfect! You think of the typical and that was her. I don't think I ever saw that woman smile. Didn't Mr. Torres teach English?

Where did you do your co-op? I had a couple of them. Edmonson Elementary School and Continuous Forms - that was around the block from the Vernor's plant. Plus I worked in the school bookstore for a bit as well.

Great school - I formed a bunch of life long friends from there. Your chosen curriculum really prepared you for the working world.

Mayor_sekou
Username: Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 2461
Posted on Friday, June 27, 2008 - 9:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Murray Wright c/o '03

Eriedearie

Post Number: 2084
Posted on Friday, June 27, 2008 - 9:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No kiddin' Mayor! :-)

Both schools are gone now, right?

Caldogven

Post Number: 172
Posted on Friday, June 27, 2008 - 11:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eriedearie,
I did not have a co-op. I was been working after school and really enjoyed the two weeks of shop. Mr.Torres was a teacher in the garage and Mr. Tocco was an english teacher. Mr Torres first name was Pedro so whenever Mr. Peter and him would talk they called each other Pete.
If I remember one of the Weimers was kind of a flirt with the girls. Mr. Kendall was also my counselor at Eastern before I transferred.
Do you remember the pictures of the graduation classes that were on the walls of the first floor? Someone had gotten into the old boarded up school and posted some pictures on Flickr. One of them was a picture of my graduating class he found laying on the floor.
I would sure like to find out about any reunions.
I can still hear Little Richard coming out of the jukebx at Julies!

Eriedearie

Post Number: 2085
Posted on Friday, June 27, 2008 - 11:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah! Julies! I think that's where I had my first taste of black coffee with a cigarette. Thought I was gonna DIE! (not from the coffee tho') Chubby Checker was always a favorite with my buddies there. One of my friends started playing the back side of one of his records on the jukebox called "Hooka Tooka", and almost every time we went through the doors that was playing.

And you are soooo right - it was Mr. Tocco that I'm thinking about for English. The Weimer that was a flirt was Chester - I can still picture him in front of the class. I do remember the pictures on the wall. What a shame that someone didn't gather those up for safekeeping. They could have gotten some of us alumni to go over there and take charge of them. Heck, I would have done it in a heartbeat.

So, were you in automotive? Us girls would stroll past that classroom every now and again just to get some whistles when the teacher wasn't in there! :-) - naughty, naughty girls were we!

As for a reunion - are you registered on Classmates.com? They do postings on there if there is to be a reunion. I know there is one coming up, or maybe they already had it - it's for the later years like 80s and 90s, at least that's what I heard. The last one I was involved in was the 2001 reunion and it was for graduating classes from 1960 - 1970. We had about 500 people show and had a blast. I made many renewed connections from that partay! I was on the committee and had so much fun putting it all together. Lots of work to getting everyone together.

Getting back to the pictures - how would I find the pictures on Flickr? I'd like to look at them and see if my class was included on the floor!

Jaja
Username: Jaja

Post Number: 71
Posted on Saturday, June 28, 2008 - 9:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cass Tech 1963 ... great school!!

Alley
Username: Alley

Post Number: 340
Posted on Sunday, June 29, 2008 - 1:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Grosse Pointe South 1996

Grumpyoldlady
Username: Grumpyoldlady

Post Number: 161
Posted on Sunday, June 29, 2008 - 3:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Denby June 1967. When it was a real school! Nobody else here from Denby?????? Hard to believe.

Detroit_uke
Username: Detroit_uke

Post Number: 18
Posted on Sunday, June 29, 2008 - 5:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chadsey '72

Caldogven

Post Number: 173
Posted on Sunday, June 29, 2008 - 7:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eriedaerie,
Yes I was in automotive. We did whistle and say thing to any girl who passed the garage when the doors were open if they were students or just someone walking down the street. Mr. Torres and Peters were great guys, in the morning they knew someone was sneaking across to Julies to bring back coffee for some of us, so they would have us get one for them too!
More than once I went into Mr. Walters room who was the head of the automotive department, at the start of a class and he was smoking a cigarette. He was another good teacher!
I have not seen anything about a reunion on Classmates.
bohemianrobot posted pictures on Flickr about a year ago under Wilbur Wright School in March '07. My class was the only picture.

Lpg
Username: Lpg

Post Number: 30
Posted on Sunday, June 29, 2008 - 8:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lincoln Park HS Jan68

Terridarlin
Username: Terridarlin

Post Number: 63
Posted on Sunday, June 29, 2008 - 8:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Grosse Pointe South '73

Wkl
Username: Wkl

Post Number: 130
Posted on Monday, June 30, 2008 - 9:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

De La Salle - 74

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 4225
Posted on Monday, June 30, 2008 - 6:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Nobody else here from Denby?????? Hard to believe.

Check the Eastside memories mega-thread on the front page. There are 2 huge Denby threads.

Scs_scooter
Username: Scs_scooter

Post Number: 93
Posted on Tuesday, July 01, 2008 - 11:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Grosse Pointe North 1976