Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » What are your favorite comedy flicks? » Archive through July 10, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 3378
Posted on Wednesday, July 09, 2008 - 6:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not TV -- Keep it to movies.

I gotta go for #1 being "It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad, World". You have to see it four or five times to really pick up on all the subtle humor in it. Sort of like "History of the World, Part 1".

Any Mel Brooks film is right in there. And, God bless 'em, "The Boys", Stan and Ollie, always make me laugh.

This is another fine mess I've gotten us into.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 7536
Posted on Wednesday, July 09, 2008 - 6:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Definitely History of the World, Part 1.

Office Space
Ghostbusters
Blues Brothers
Monty Python and the Holy Grail. Probably seen it a thousand times and I still nearly wet my pants in that scene with the Black Knight.

Tarkus
Username: Tarkus

Post Number: 549
Posted on Wednesday, July 09, 2008 - 7:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Monty Python and The Holy Grail. Ni. Ni.. Ni...

Thnk2mch
Username: Thnk2mch

Post Number: 1307
Posted on Wednesday, July 09, 2008 - 7:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 2346
Posted on Wednesday, July 09, 2008 - 7:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Blazing Saddles and Young Frankenstein have to be at the top of the list

Redvetred
Username: Redvetred

Post Number: 235
Posted on Wednesday, July 09, 2008 - 7:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Animal House

Ddaydave
Username: Ddaydave

Post Number: 539
Posted on Wednesday, July 09, 2008 - 7:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

IT'S A MAD, MAD, MAD, MAD WORLD timeless sunday afternoon drink a few beers and laugh your ass off movie. and look at the list of stars
Spencer Tracy
Milton Berle
Sid Caesar
Buddy Hackett
Ethel Merman
Mickey Rooney
Phil Silvers
Jonathan Winters
Buster Keaton
Don Knotts
the 3 stooges Moe Howard, Larry Fine, and Joe DeRita
Jimmy Durante
Jack Benny
Jerry Lewis

The only drawback to this movie is it was a to long for a comedy

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 2174
Posted on Wednesday, July 09, 2008 - 9:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oliver and Hardy as Gypsies siphoning wine into the bottles. "It's gold, Jerry".

The drunk woman in "40 year old virgin" driving him home from the bar.

John Belushi on the ladder in "Animal House"

Jeff Spicoli -"What Jefferson was saying was, Hey! You know, we left this England place 'cause it was bogus; so if we don't get some cool rules ourselves - pronto - we'll just be bogus too! Get it?"

Alley
Username: Alley

Post Number: 387
Posted on Wednesday, July 09, 2008 - 9:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Grandma's Boy is hilarious!

Mortgageking
Username: Mortgageking

Post Number: 153
Posted on Wednesday, July 09, 2008 - 9:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dumb and Dumber -- it won the Oscar for Best Movie Ever.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 2771
Posted on Wednesday, July 09, 2008 - 10:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Norbit. :-)

(Message edited by DetroitRise on July 09, 2008)

Maof2
Username: Maof2

Post Number: 26
Posted on Wednesday, July 09, 2008 - 10:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Young Frakenstein

Egor or Igor

"Walk this way"

Sharmaal
Username: Sharmaal

Post Number: 1327
Posted on Wednesday, July 09, 2008 - 11:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ray1936,

You are old. Those movies are terrible.

Sharmaal
Username: Sharmaal

Post Number: 1328
Posted on Wednesday, July 09, 2008 - 11:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Johnlodge,

High Five!

Eriedearie
Username: Eriedearie

Post Number: 2254
Posted on Wednesday, July 09, 2008 - 11:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dumb and Dumber
Animal House
Planes, Trains and Automobiles
National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation

Django
Username: Django

Post Number: 1244
Posted on Thursday, July 10, 2008 - 3:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Borat, when he orders the hooker to the religious folks house, I was rollin. And the poo in a bag, Oh man, genius toilet humor.

Gannon turned me on to Mars Attacks recently, That is no doubt a classic now.

I cant stop laughing at all the classic quotes in Repo Man. I bought it for my boy for his 13th birthday in June and we got to watch it this past weekend for the first time together.

"John Wayne was a fig, I installed two way mirrors at his pad in Brentwood, and he came to the door in a dress"

"Dukeie wukkie hurt his wittle hand"

I guess you have to be there.
Yeah, you definitely have to be there, and some dumbass doesnt hurt.

Animal House, oh yeah, COLLEGE

I mentioned Evil Dead as one of my favorite Horror movies, but only because I was shooting rootbeer through my nose while watching it.

D_mcc
Username: D_mcc

Post Number: 950
Posted on Thursday, July 10, 2008 - 3:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like:

Ricky Bobby - cuz...I like to picture my Jesus wearing a tuxedo t-shirt...because it says, I'm formal, but I like to party

Silver Streak
Blazing Saddles
Life of Brian
Shawn of the Dead

Dumb and Dumber - HARRY! YOU'RE HANDS ARE FREEZING!

Holy Grail

Flanders_field
Username: Flanders_field

Post Number: 656
Posted on Thursday, July 10, 2008 - 3:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A Fish Called Wanda

Most Cheech and Chong movies (just announced another one is coming soon)

Trading Places

Office Space

All of the Monty Python movies

What About Bob?

Ruthless People

Meet The Parents/Fokkers

One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest

Dirty Rotten Scoundrels

My Cousin Vinny

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 2339
Posted on Thursday, July 10, 2008 - 7:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sharmaal--you are too young, and don't understand the subjective nature of taste.

Bragaboutme
Username: Bragaboutme

Post Number: 328
Posted on Thursday, July 10, 2008 - 8:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Friday is at the top, Dumb and Dumber (when the cop pulled them over in the doggy truck, classic), Me, Myself & Irene....

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 13368
Posted on Thursday, July 10, 2008 - 9:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He's not THAT young, and understands way less being basically polite!

How did we get this far with NO mention of the master hisself, Peter Sellers?!

Loved all his work, but The Party is his best. I cannot watch it without ending up paralyzed by gut laughs curled in a ball on the floor!

Anything by the Monty Python troupe, but Meaning of Life and Life of Bryan are my favorites, with Holy Grail a close third.

Homeowners should ALL have a copy of The Money Pit...wait for the tub scene. It gets me EVERY time, one of the reasons I still rent!

Cheers, great thread, senior member Ray with the great sense of humor! Don't listen to a fellow who thinks Yacht Rock is cool...

Gannon

Post Number: 13369
Posted on Thursday, July 10, 2008 - 9:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We were just talking about Cinerama at the Music Hall last night, with a few of the folks there who really know their history...when I saw on the historic marker that they were a Cinerama theater.

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad World was one of the few filmed in this three-projector widescreen Hollywood-assault on the senses...I simply cannot imagine being in a 1701-seat theater packed to the walls with people laughing at that long movie filled with all those current stars.

It is probably the greatest EPIC comedy ever...mind boggling how much public joy it sparked, widescreen or not.

Next time you watch it, think about Cinerama framing in that last scene when it dawns on them all at once where that treasure is...

56packman

Post Number: 2340
Posted on Thursday, July 10, 2008 - 9:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mad, Mad, Mad world was composed for the Cinerama process, it doesn't work on TV very well--the pan-prints used are very unsatisfactory.
I have a friend who saw that film at the Music Hall/Cinerama many times and he told me that in the lobbies there was an intermission soundtrack that played through speakers installed just for that film, the mad-cubed world waltz theme would play, then be interrupted by an update of the status of the various characters, then it would call everyone back into the auditorium. This kept those packed shows on schedule, 3, 4 times daily. That film is from the road show/hard ticket era of epic films, a style that was developed in the battle against Television, to give people something that the tube couldn't. It is long for a comedy, but the intent was different than today's 120 minute targets.
BTW, the Cinerama process used three 35 mm projectors, left, center and right, with unique prints for those locations that together made that huge image on the screen. There was a forth machine that played the 35mm magnetic six channel soundtrack. One person sat at a console and controlled the speed of these four elements to make the show "flow" properly. If one machine "ate" some frames of film, the corresponding frames had to be cut from the other two prints, and the sound reel. The film stock was numbered on the margins; every tenth frame was numbered to aid in this process.

Gannon

Post Number: 13374
Posted on Thursday, July 10, 2008 - 10:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the in-fill, Packman, you rock.

I think your friend should talk with Vince Paul to make sure that background is fully detailed in the extensive history he seems to be collecting on the place.

I toured it with him last night as part of our Music Industry Improvement committee, then met this fabulous woman, Laura, who wowed me with her deep understanding of the history of the place.

We've got such a beauty right here under our noses, I think the last time I was even IN Music Hall was for Histeric's daughter's dance recital...but between booking Jazz acts for their new Jazz Cafe (especially working with Judy Adams and her excellent Discovery Series) and everything else culturally significant that simply cannot fit in other venues, I will now never be a stranger to the place.

I think I need to start a thread on it...

Crystal
Username: Crystal

Post Number: 221
Posted on Thursday, July 10, 2008 - 10:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

#1 favorite comedy movie in our house is "It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World".

Flanders_field
Username: Flanders_field

Post Number: 658
Posted on Thursday, July 10, 2008 - 11:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's A Mad x4 movie is the first I ever attended at a theater (Civic) in 1963. I was almost 7 years old, and can remember a little about the movie, the part with the 3 stooges as firemen, but I was waaay too young to really appreciate it.

I haven't seen the movie since then, maybe I will rent it to watch at home eventually.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 3380
Posted on Thursday, July 10, 2008 - 3:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Ray1936,
You are old."

I've never denied that for one moment, child.

56packman

Post Number: 2342
Posted on Thursday, July 10, 2008 - 4:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gannon--here is an article your friend from Music Hall will either find interesting or horrifying, depending on your outlook. The small two balconies at the base of the arches flanking the proscenium were chopped off for the Cinerama conversion.

Downriviera
Username: Downriviera

Post Number: 806
Posted on Thursday, July 10, 2008 - 4:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I liked the Pee Wee Herman movies.

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 9329
Posted on Thursday, July 10, 2008 - 5:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

"Ray1936,
You are old."

I've never denied that for one moment, child.

But still vibrant, and offer much.