Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » Musician members on Detroit Yes roll call! « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jita1
Username: Jita1

Post Number: 34
Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2008 - 10:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where are my Detroit Yes musicians? Let us see (or hear) you!

I sing, play keyboards and a little drums, guitar and bass. Currently recording my debut Gospel CD check me out:

www.soundclick.com/briandonald

Richard_bak
Username: Richard_bak

Post Number: 389
Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2008 - 3:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Judging by the response so far, Jita, I'm afraid you're gonna have to play all of those instruments at the same time if you're looking to form a DYes band.

Sorry I can't help you out. However, as a kid I did have to suffer through my cousin's accordian recitals whenever my Uncle Harry and Aunt Leona visited. Part of being a Polack in the '60s. And my dad confessed to wanting to be a singing cowboy as a kid, just like Gene Autry, except (1) he couldn't sing (2) he couldn't play a guitar, and (3) he was afraid of horses. Other than that he had the act down cold. The Singing Polish Cowboy of Wesson Avenue.

Does any of this count?

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 7189
Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2008 - 3:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What do you call a musician without a girlfriend?

(Homeless)

jjaba on the Westside.

Tkierpiec
Username: Tkierpiec

Post Number: 110
Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2008 - 4:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice stuff, Jita1 .. just took a listen. :-)

My boyfriend is a musician - reggae music, mostly, he's a rasta so I think that's pretty much mandatory! (Kidding about the mandatory part!) He does it all - writes, composes, plays guitar, bass, keyboards. He's currently in England and won't be be back in Detroit until the end of September.

And jjaba, there's a lot of truth in that! :-)

Jita1

Post Number: 36
Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2008 - 4:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Richard_bak - Sure, when would you like to audition..LOL

Jjaba - never heard that before but you got a point there.

Tkierpiec - Thanks for listening! Does you boyfriend have any music on the Internet? I'd like to hear him.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 2408
Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2008 - 4:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

here!

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 8197
Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2008 - 5:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Musician is a strong word. How about dabbler of diddies? Then I might raise my virtual hand.

Bragaboutme
Username: Bragaboutme

Post Number: 451
Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2008 - 7:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Brag Checkin' in. I'm learning to play like Victor Wooten on the Bass, but I dabble with the beats mostly in my home studio.

Jita1

Post Number: 38
Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2008 - 8:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Victor Wooten is wicked. I admire you for aiming to be the best. I just started playing myself about two years ago. What kind of bass do you play? I play a Warwick Corvette 4 string.

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 1477
Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2008 - 10:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I play the guitar. I'm not very good, but I like to play every so often. Kally likes... I think. At least she says she does.

I also tried out for American Idol when I was 16 or 17 (whenever they were here). I really don't know what the heck I was thinking. Although I did make it to a second audition. I sound much worse now. Yelling on all those coasters really was not very good for my vocal cords... apparently.

Karaoke bar anyone?

Bragaboutme
Username: Bragaboutme

Post Number: 454
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2008 - 10:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm learning on an Ibanez roadstar II bass series. Jita1 That Vette is an excellent bass!!

Mr. Wooten makes it look easy on his video, but I'm just trying to keep up. Slowly but surely, I give myself about two years to get it down. I'm better at piano.

Sean I think you should get a better vocal coach, LOL.

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 1387
Posted on Saturday, August 16, 2008 - 12:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I sing with my church band. Also, I have played flute since 5th grade.

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 1504
Posted on Sunday, August 17, 2008 - 4:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I actually wasn't that bad... I think. Unlike what you see on the show, they are actually really nice. I really think the horrible ones you see on the show are totally staged, or many (but not all) of the rude comments are edited in later.

That dream was DOA. I didn't want it nearly enough to make it anywhere.

Just wasn't my thing.

Melody
Username: Melody

Post Number: 275
Posted on Sunday, August 17, 2008 - 4:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Life-long musician here. Currently in Coronados, Swamp Sisters and a new group to debut soon, also in the Sirens, which are on hiatus. Formerly of Gore Gore Girls, the Vamps, Stroker Ace, and Broadzilla. Rock and roll, whoo! I play a little guitar still but mostly bass these days, I have an Italia Maranello (I'm endorsed by the Italia guitar company), and my dad's 1970-something Fender P bass. I also play his '70s Traynor head, which is a total beast, I love that thing.

Downriviera
Username: Downriviera

Post Number: 895
Posted on Sunday, August 17, 2008 - 6:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wannabe bass player here. Played a little way back in high school. A friend gave me an older Epiphone a couple years ago, so I picked up a small Ampeg amp and have been messing with it at times. Need more time to practice though. It is relaxing when I do get to playing it. No big aspirations, other than to jam with some friends.

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 4157
Posted on Monday, August 18, 2008 - 1:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I play drums, sort of.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 3010
Posted on Monday, August 18, 2008 - 10:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll check in for my hubby Dave (aka The Grillmaster)...drummer playing with Thornetta Davis, The Lynn Laplante Septet, and The Millionaires. Also plays with Jim McCarty and The Rick Stel Project, among others.

Alfie1a
Username: Alfie1a

Post Number: 54
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 7:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like to beat on a guitar now and then, Epiphone archtop, Gibson SG. Play harmonica too. Play a mean dashboard drum as well.

Alfie1a
Username: Alfie1a

Post Number: 55
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 7:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, i forgot to say this.

Jita1, I like your music. very original

Defendbrooklyn
Username: Defendbrooklyn

Post Number: 983
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 1:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

drums

Jita1

Post Number: 55
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 5:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Alfie1a, I appreciate it..:-)

Papermoon
Username: Papermoon

Post Number: 80
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 11:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

3 V's here: violin, viola, vocals

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 3567
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 7:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Papermoon, why do girls look so very un-ladylike when playing the cello? Why don't they pick it up and put it under their chin like a violin or viola?

:-) :-) :-)

Papermoon
Username: Papermoon

Post Number: 87
Posted on Thursday, August 28, 2008 - 2:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think they found the cost of a ginormous shoulder rest was prohibitive.

You crack me up, Ray!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.