Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » Paging Kathleen... « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 6690
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2008 - 5:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Willistead Classic show returns
Chris Vander Doelen , The Windsor Star
Published: Thursday, August 14, 2008
Thanks to a new sponsor, "the most beautiful traffic jam of the year" will take place at Willistead Manor again this year.

On Aug. 24, the owners of an estimated 200 museum-quality automobiles from all over North America wil converge on the historic mansion's grounds to stage the Willistead Classic and Antique Car Show.

It's the 19th edition of the invitation-only show, considered one of Canada's top-judged automotive events. The Classic wasn't held last year because organizers of the non-profit concours couldn't find a sponsor in the city's shell-shocked automotive industry.

Windsor's Maggio family have stepped into the breach to revive the show for 2008. "It's good for the city and it's well worth it for us," said Tony Maggio of A.D.E. Collector Cars and Restoration. The company was founded by Maggio and his developer father, Dino, who is president of Mid South Land Development Inc.

Three weeks ago A.D.E. opened its new showroom and restoration premises on Wheelton Drive, off Rhodes Drive. Several cars from the Maggios' personal collection, as well as some belonging to their customers, will be entered at this year's Classic.

"We've got a lot of cool cars this year -- a lot of old cars from the 20s, 30s, and the nineteen tens," said Craig Wood, co-chairman of the Willistead Classic committee. Featured marques this year are the Ford Model T, which is celebrating its Centennial in 2008, and the Dodge Challenger, which is being reborn this year as a 2009 model built in Brampton, Ont.

Wood, a powertrain engineer who works for Roush in Dearborn, Mich., said 175 cars have already been registered for the show and dozens more are expected to sign up by the time it starts. Photos of 125 of the entries can be viewed on line at www.willisteadclassic.com.

As usual for the Classic, entries are coming from as far away as Newfoundland and New York, although most are from Southern Ontario and nearby midwestern U.S. states.

The Classic attracted 150 cars the last time it was held in 2006 said Walt McCall, the retired Chrysler spokesman and automotive historian who has been involved with the show since its inception.

"This show has remarkable recognition around the country," McCall said Thursday as the committee kicked off the Classic in A.D.E's showroom. "People know about it."

The show actually starts Saturday, Aug. 23, when dozens of the participants traditionally hold an afternoon "road tour" from Walkerville east on Riverside Drive to St. Clair Beach and back.

The convoy of chrome usually goes so slowly, "it's like a funeral procession," joked committee member Neil Larson. The road tour of some 60 cars will be followed by a private reception at Willistead for the entrants.

A new addition to the Classic this year is a fashion show called Big Hats and Fancy Cars. Tickets to the $100 charity event, organized by Maggio's mother Enza, were nearly all gone on Thursday.

"It's going to be a very elegant party," said Enza Maggio. "Cocktails and the cat walk at noon, followed by lunch in the dining room. No men involved. Everybody has to wear a hat."

For the car lovers, this year's show will include five Rolls Royces, which is more than usual, plus two new judged categories: Future Classics, which includes special edition Corvettes, DeLoreans and Lamborghinis, and Street Machines, for cars built prior to 1975.

The show opens at 9 a.m., which is why the "most beautiful traffic jam of the year usually starts at 7:30," McCall said. "They all converge on us at once with their cars and their trailers. It's fun to watch."

Attendance is $10 per ticket, and there is plenty of elbow room to view the cars closely because they are spread out over the three acres of Willistead lawns. Proceeds go to the mansion's preservation fund.

http://www.willisteadclassic.c om/

I'm planning on going, let me know if you and Dave are thinking of coming over, and maybe we can meet up and go again like we did a few years back...

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2998
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2008 - 1:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, AIW. Of course, would love to attend, but we have family obligations that day and will be out of town. Please let me know how it goes.

Aiw

Post Number: 6691
Posted on Monday, August 18, 2008 - 10:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Will do. I'm glad the event has been restarted.

I'll let you know when I post the photos.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 7221
Posted on Monday, August 18, 2008 - 11:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

AIW restarting photos du jure?
We loved it.
jjaba.

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 2450
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2008 - 7:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I second you, jjaba, for a coming-out party for photo du jure. We have missed its daily appearance.
Hey, AIW, speaking of photos, and although it's not a car, is the Lanc back up on the pedestal in Jackson Park?

Jjaba

Post Number: 7233
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2008 - 12:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Take the Winsome over and see for your own damn self. AIW is still on honeymoon, what does he know, eh?

Exactly timed to the day, his marriage started, his photos du jure ended. Plain and simple.

jjaba tells it like it tis.

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 10308
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2008 - 12:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The-Rock, no it is still be restored to travel along the ground. It will never fly again but at least it can taxi. A Spitfire and a Hurricane model has replced the Lanc.

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 2451
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 7:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the update Goat. I have a cherished photo of AIW, jjaba and myself under the Lanc before she was taken down for restoration, and some later pix that AIW took as she was paraded to her restoration venue.
We had a Hurricane at the Yankee Air Museum a couple of weeks ago. The Spit always seems to get the publicity, but the Hurricane really did the job during the Battle of Britain.
Unfortunately, we will be in Petoskey on August 24, or the Willistead Classic Car Show ( and Jackson Park) would be a must. Hopefully, there will be some pix put on the Forum.

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 4453
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 9:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

New page for Kathleen:

Are you going on the Mt. Elliott tour this Saturday?

(Message edited by Pam on August 21, 2008)

Kathleen

Post Number: 3017
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 5:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Pam,

Sorry, I won't be there. It's been such a busy summer that I have yet to sign up for any of the DHS tours this quarter. I've just been too busy!

Have a good tour! Would love to hear about it.

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 4472
Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2008 - 6:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Would love to hear about it.

It was interesting but too hot out today. We left before it was totally over. Here is some info. from the website for you:

http://www.mtelliott.com/MtEll iott_History.pdf

Aiw

Post Number: 6705
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 6:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's a few shots from the Willistead show.

http://www.internationalmetrop olis.com/?p=749

Jjaba

Post Number: 7289
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 1:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As always, excellent work, AIW. We want more.

jjaba.

Kathleen

Post Number: 3021
Posted on Tuesday, August 26, 2008 - 6:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, AIW. I enjoyed seeing all those beautiful hood ornaments, and figuring out what we missed! We enjoyed a wonderful day with family and friends.

Aiw

Post Number: 6710
Posted on Tuesday, August 26, 2008 - 7:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A few more...

http://www.internationalmetrop olis.com/?p=750

Kathleen

Post Number: 3024
Posted on Friday, August 29, 2008 - 7:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

More thanks!! Those dashboard shots are terrific. I especially like the Art Deco speedometer. What car was that?

Over the Dream Cruise week, we did see a couple cars that we noted had been at Willistead.

Aiw

Post Number: 6719
Posted on Friday, August 29, 2008 - 9:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not sure which one you are asking about. The first dash is the White Nash, and the second one is the La Salle

Kathleen

Post Number: 3025
Posted on Saturday, August 30, 2008 - 2:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Two photos below JC the TV guy...so would that be the LaSalle?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.