Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » Greyhound, Saginaw To Detroit? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 1561
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 11:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Okay, I'm trying to see if I can get to Detroit from Saginaw for a decent price, without a car. Greyhound is my only option, right? I'm attempting to navigate their site for the first time. I must be doing something wrong. A one way trip costs me $27. However, I can get from Saginaw to NYC for $12. What am I doing wrong?

Pgn421
Username: Pgn421

Post Number: 798
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 1:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

im leavi ng for up north today ,if you want a ride

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 1584
Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2008 - 12:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL, I will be making the trip regularly for the next month.

Navigating Michigan without a car sure must be fun... I don't know how those without a license manage...

Wolverine
Username: Wolverine

Post Number: 601
Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2008 - 3:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dude, just drive it like everyone else in Saginaw does. There's no point in wasting 3 hours on a bus when you pay essentially the same or less driving a car

- Coming from a former resident -

Django
Username: Django

Post Number: 1699
Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2008 - 6:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pgn, where exactly do you go up North? My folks live near Clare (we may have discussed this before) Id like to pop in on them sometime for a weekend. I could pitch in on gas. Oh yeah, do you go up often?

Do you have my e mail? Gannon, Cub, Res, has it. Hell I may have yours. My memory is shot, damn college and all their bongs.

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 1593
Posted on Sunday, August 24, 2008 - 4:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Right, I'm trying to find a cheaper way then driving. I have issues with driving, Wolverine. I just hate it. I average about one major accident a year. I'm just sick of it... and refuse to drive whenever possible. I also try to avoid freeways. They really are death traps. I've lost to many people close to me to our freeways.

This will become a bigger problem in two years when we agreed to give up our car. Our family not in the transit system grid hates it... but it's there choice to live in the middle of nowhere. They can't come visit us, and we can rent a dang car from Avis, for Thanksgiving or Christmas.

LOL...

If my grand parents survived in Detroit until the seventies without a car, and fifteen kids... we should have no problem doing it in 2009 Detroit. True there is a lack of service in some areas, but we have the Internet now too...

On the other hand, there is no cheap insurance companies for a car, and I don't know of any good and reputable auto mechanics very close to the CBD. Plus gas, lack of safety, and the headache... just not worth it. I could be like "everyone else", but I'm beginning to think "everyone else" is bonkers. If I'm wrong, then we should have some improved transit not to long after the drop.

So anyway... back to the Greyhound service... there is nothing cheaper or (if not) better in service, correct?

Amtrak does not go North of here, right?

Django

Post Number: 1714
Posted on Sunday, August 24, 2008 - 5:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sean, you might get a better rate through Indian Trails (I think thats the name) Also Gannon plays taxi service sometimes.

Wolverine

Post Number: 602
Posted on Sunday, August 24, 2008 - 3:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I could be like "everyone else", but I'm beginning to think "everyone else" is bonkers."

No, Tri-Cities residents are for the most part responsible drivers who are accident-free for decades and use the expressway without worry.

And I really doubt your parents are off the transit grid. The city and suburbs do have a bus system and it's very nice if you've tried it. Unless you live in the middle of a cornfield, but that doesn't mean the system is broken, it means you've chosen to live off of it..

(Message edited by wolverine on August 24, 2008)

Cheddar_bob
Username: Cheddar_bob

Post Number: 1847
Posted on Sunday, August 24, 2008 - 5:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You guys realize that if you give him a ride, you'll be stuck in the car with sean of detroit for an extended period of time, right? Not that he would show up anyway, but if he talks like he posts (and I bet that he does), bring your ipod.

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 1602
Posted on Sunday, August 24, 2008 - 11:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You guys try so hard to be donkeys... it's adorable. You're like Stewie on Family Guy, only not funny. I COULD edit my posts down, but then you guys would have nothing to do on your lonely Saturday nights, and Sunday afternoons. :-)

Wolvy, I don't know Saginaw to well. What would you do if you wanted to learn something... hmmm... oh yeah, you'd probably ask other people. What a crazy concept? Good thing you thought of it.

I am interested in jumping between cities... go back and reread the question and all the posts (just giving you something to do). Yes, some of them do live off the grid. That is their problem... (reread, and then come back and apologize once you realise you repeated exactly what I said).

Bring your Ipod.... LOL! Words I would expect from a true "yuppie". Are you trying to be cool with the 8 Mile reference in your name? Smooth!

(Just playin' with you guys. You make it way to easy).

PS: Oh, and I love the little tag team thing you guys always do. All I can say is it's much easier to be a donkey when you have a lap dog by your side.

(Message edited by Sean_of_Detroit on August 24, 2008)

Cheddar_bob
Username: Cheddar_bob

Post Number: 1860
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 12:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, good luck finding a ride anyway. Personally, driving it myself is the best option. But then again I not only have a car but can also drive it more than few feet without crashing into the first tree I come across. Also I can, like millions of other people, manage to drive on a freeway. I guess I didn't realize it was such a formidable task for some people.

Wolverine

Post Number: 605
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 2:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lol, Okay then. don't ask me. I grew up in Saginaw so I must be "bonkers."

EDIT: But really on the serious note if I came off as being an asshole on my first post I apologize. But I had entirely assumed you owned a vehicle and had no problem driving to Detroit. You'd still save money driving it (as I mentioned) but greyhound or another bus line are really your only options (as well as the prices)

(Message edited by wolverine on August 25, 2008)

Django

Post Number: 1731
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 2:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Didnt cheddar bob shoot himself in the dick? Oh I get it, thats part of the joke. Nevermind.

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 1607
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 3:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No worries... it's all good natured (at least when it's from me) fun.

I commute between Detroit and Saginaw A LOT. As my fiancee lives in Saginaw, and I (technically) live in Detroit. We hope to be in a new place this Fall. Unfortunately, my soon to be... um, Grandmother in-law, is sick. We spend some time there to watch her. It's not so much sick, as kind of just forgetting everything. I'm not sure if you know what I mean.

I appreciate the offers for rides, and information about local buses, but that really wasn't the problem (I appreciate it all though). I should have been more clear. Maybe car pools could be used in the future. Right now, I was just exploring options though.

I don't think I'm that bad of a driving companion, but that's irrelevant. Sorry you attracted rude comments by trying to be nice. In the future, feel free to E-mail me (this name at Yahoo.com). The mosquitoes can be annoying (They're on the same level, IMO). You truly are a saint.

Django... to funny! I should be nicer to him, I forgot about that. I guess I'd be ornery too if I were him. LOL!

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 4483
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 9:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Also I can, like millions of other people, manage to drive on a freeway. I guess I didn't realize it was such a formidable task for some people.

Freeway phobia is no joke.

Tkierpiec
Username: Tkierpiec

Post Number: 114
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 1:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think my mother has freeway phobia. She's a normal driver around town but as soon as she gets on a freeway, she is in a state of panic - especially I-75. She's always been that way so it's not her age setting in. She hugs the outside lane and is convinced a semi is going to be the death of her.

In regards to the drive to Saginaw - I think that has to be one of the dullest routes to drive. My family all lives in Midland and points further north and I hate making the drive - not a damn thing of interest to look at until you get north of Midland. I drive up every 5-6 weeks to visit family and would welcome a passenger to alleviate the boredom! I'm taking back roads on my next visit just to see something different along the way. Looks like it will take me an extra hour to get to Midland but maybe it's worth not being on that boring stretch of I-75.

As an aside, I was quite impressed the last time I drove up (last week) - the engineers have devised the detour through the Zilwaukee area pretty damn seamlessly.

Craig
Username: Craig

Post Number: 996
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 4:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tk - beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I've always thought that the ride from Clarkston north looked like "up north." For a City kid who escaped it really is up north, and the trees, hills, and lakes confirm this.

Now a ride up north with Sean is another topic...

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 1616
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 5:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes it is, but FYI; I'd probably bring a book.

It's just crazy you guys! Have you not seen some of the replies many of us get on here? Someone challenges an opinion or point, and then finds it "annoying" when the person explains themselves. It's a setup, I swear that's what it seems like sometimes. It's like; "Why are you egging me on if you find me so annoying".

Django

Post Number: 1738
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 6:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sean, I think you would be surprised at how many ppl follow your posts because your a thoughtful and kind person. Quit worrying about the ding dongs. Often its better to be talked about than not be talked about. It can often work to your advantage.

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 1623
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 8:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Django. I'm still kind of new to the Internet. I've met some truly bizarre people, but none of them hold a candle up to some of these Internet yahoos.

Like this post by Neil R. What on Earth is the point of that? Seriously, how long did it take you to do that? Funny, funny.

But, I do have to say... Michigan needs more jobs... clearly.

(Ignoring the fact that they aren't all even Americans... that's their poorly kept secret).

Django

Post Number: 1743
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 8:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Shit like that lets you know we are getting older and we have to deal with immature shit from the young uns. But seriously, that was awesome. Be sure to save that clip off "Channel 3 News" for your portfolio. Im jealous that Ive never gotten that much attention and time from a hater.

Dont stop being who you are Sean. Fuck em all. Ive got a huge envious smile right now.

Spaceboykelly
Username: Spaceboykelly

Post Number: 303
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 9:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are there some people on here who regularly travel between Detroit and Saginaw?

I live in Detroit but my family is in Saginaw and I am also without a car. Greyhound/Indian Trails is ridiculous. It once took me 9 1/2 hours.

Awfavre
Username: Awfavre

Post Number: 281
Posted on Tuesday, August 26, 2008 - 3:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For those who want a truly interesting detour on the way to Saginaw or Bay City & don’t mind taking a few hours to do it, I have detailed directions how to follow the old Dixie Highway all the way from Waterford to the Soo.

To me, the most interesting part lasts through Bay City. You see so many older structures that once belonged to a very different era: genuine roadhouses, old motels, former gas stations built within a few yards of the road, & all sorts of interesting signs seemingly inspired by the Jetsons. When you go through Bay City & Saginaw, you see all sorts of odd zoning: houses next to junkyards & small industrial complexes, old port facilities, & so on. It’s fascinating stuff.

My directions are at home, but if anyone’s interested, I’ll see if I can dig them up.

Wolverine

Post Number: 607
Posted on Tuesday, August 26, 2008 - 5:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^ I second that. The drive is extremely rewarding. You may want to consider it to avoid the Zilwaukee Bridge fiasco as well.

Tkierpiec

Post Number: 117
Posted on Tuesday, August 26, 2008 - 8:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dig 'em up, please, amfavre! :-) I'm interested for the next time I make the drive in about a month. I don't mind taking a little extra time if it keeps the boredom at bay. When I lived in Ann Arbor, I used to sometimes drive up through Owosso and Chesaning for a little change of pace. Lots of winding country roads through a bunch of little towns along the way. I'm easily entertained!

Kotrbab1
Username: Kotrbab1

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 1:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I lived in Bay City until a year ago and moved into Georgia, but I agree that the non-automobile transit in Michigan is horrible, buses take way to long and waste hours of time and if you ever are lucky to be involved in a break-down it sucks waiting for another bus.

Also Amtrak has no northern trips, north of the Flint stop, anything through them is via greyhound.

But you might want to check out the suburban buses and make a connection to grey hound or indian trails, or try even dean trailway, take it to bridgeport and then transfer to a STARS (saginaw) public transit to get into the city.

Which side of saginaw are you commuting too?

Sorry, this is long, but here in Georgia, there has been action for constructing a maglev rail line between Atlanta and Chattanooga, TN to connect the downtowns and especially the airports due to spillover loads, but it would create high speed transportation options in my area possible, Michigan really needs something like that to connect its urban corridors.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1864
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 10:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Amtrak would not be much of an option. You would need to change trains in Battle Creek. The trains are not timed to move from one line to another well at that location, as separate trains service the two lines.

Awfavre

Post Number: 284
Posted on Thursday, August 28, 2008 - 7:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The directions are below, but they take you all the way to the Soo, for any truly adventurous folks. I tried to note anything unusual, but I won’t pretend these are 100% perfect.

I strongly recommend taking a Michigan Gazetteer showing most of the back roads. Also, print out detailed Google maps for the Bridgeport, Saginaw, & Bay City areas.

I haven’t successfully done the old Dixie Highway from Monroe through Detroit, although I tried, once. (I got side-tracked by a boat in the Rouge along the way, & that pretty much killed any Dixie Highway notions for the day. :-) ) Having said that, the old Dixie Highway through Detroit pretty much consists of taking Woodward North to the connector to M-24 in Pontiac. Follow M-24 through Waterford then Clarkston, & you connect with my directions.

If anyone tries my directions, please feel free to suggest any corrections, clarifications, etc.

1. US 24/Dixie Highway North – from Waterford/Clarkston area to M-54/Dort Highway in Flint (right on Dort Highway North of Grand Blanc)

2. M-54/Dort Highway North – through Flint & Clio to Bridgeport; do NOT follow M-54 to the right in Clio (i.e., do not head North toward Frankenmuth)

3. Dixie Highway/Genesee Ave North – veer right just past Washington (on right)

4. Genesee Ave North – through Saginaw to M-13/Washington

5. M-13/Washington North – through Saginaw then left on Veterans Memorial Parkway/M-13

6. Veterans Memorial Parkway/M-13 North – through Saginaw; becomes Bay City Rd through Zilwaukee, then S. River Rd, then Broadway St in Bay City then Broadway St in Bay City to W. Lafayette Ave./M-84

7. W. Lafayette Ave. /M-84 left/West – becomes Salzburg Ave to M-13/S. Euclid Ave

8. M-13/S. Euclid Ave North – right/North, becomes S. Huron Rd then Mable St. through Pinconning then N. Huron Rd. to US-23/ S. Huron Rd

9. US-23/ S. Huron Rd North – through Standish all the way to Alpena, then to Rogers City

10. M/68 – left/East (is W. Erie in Rogers City, then Moltke); joins with M-33 in Onaway

11. M-33 North – joins with M-27/N. Straits Hwy in Cheboygan to US-23

12. US-23 North – in Cheboygan to S. Huron Ave in Mackinaw City

13. S. Huron Ave North – to Dixie Saloon for dinner?

14. Mackinac Bridge North – to Exit 344 to S. State St in St. Ignace

15. S. State St North – becomes N. State St. to Mackinaw Trail (H-63?) (just past St. Clair Trail on left)

16. Mackinaw Trail Right/North – past M-123 to M-134 East

17. M-134 East – to 129 North to the Soo

Craig

Post Number: 1016
Posted on Thursday, August 28, 2008 - 8:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

About where step #1 ends is a big boulder with a weathered-green placard commemorating the Dixie Highway or pioneers or some other damn thing. And of course Dort Highway will take you past a string of monuments which testify to the purchasing power of overtime pay in the pockets of shop rats. Cover your daughters' eyes.

Btw, Sean - how went the trip to the familial homestead? Greyhound? Hitch a ride with a fellow poster? What?

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 1658
Posted on Thursday, August 28, 2008 - 9:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Drive and drove and drived some more. Highways, construction, gridlock, all very fun. Got pulled over because the officer thought we left our gas cap on the trunk. It was a gas cap, but not ours.

We let him take it in. Weird... wonder if he took it back to the gas station.

I will be doing the trip regularly, for a little while at least. NO RADIO! Kally got some speakers for our music box (mp3... Not trying to sound cool, I just started to call it a music box, and it stuck).

Craig

Post Number: 1017
Posted on Thursday, August 28, 2008 - 10:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Time your trips away from rush-hours and you'll do fine with the construction on 75. 6 to 9, and 3 to 7 on weekdays will pretty much blow.

Also: watch for parked State & local motor cops between mile markers 98 & 109.

Tkierpiec

Post Number: 124
Posted on Tuesday, September 09, 2008 - 3:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Awfavre, a belated thank you for those directions you posted. I'd forgotten about this thread and it just occurred to me to check for an update....and voila. :-) I'm planning on driving up to Midland next week - not sure if I'll take the scenic route this time or next but either way, it looks interesting and I thank you for taking the time to share.

Awfavre

Post Number: 287
Posted on Tuesday, September 09, 2008 - 5:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good luck with the trip, Tkierpiec. Let me know if you have any suggestions.

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 2574
Posted on Tuesday, September 09, 2008 - 10:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Somewhere around Awfavre's step #9, you pass the new Saganing casino. It's a right on Worth before Standish, head toward Lake Huron. Also, Ida's Chicken dinners is up there somewhere. Right after Standish, you make a left on 76 and head up to Sterling, it's right before Sterling Road. Those are some places that might be fun to check out.

6nois
Username: 6nois

Post Number: 735
Posted on Saturday, September 13, 2008 - 1:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I go to Bay City quite often considering it is my 'homeland'. I normally take 75 but lately I have been going the Lodge to 696 to 96 to 23 to 75, I always get off 75 at the River Rd Bay City exit and come up through the south end. I'll have to try the Dixie highway route sometime.

Tkierpiec

Post Number: 127
Posted on Friday, September 19, 2008 - 12:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gazhekwe, you must be referring to Iva's Chicken Dinners in Sterling! My mother used to take me there all the time when I was a kid. The place had a real homey vibe, felt like Sunday dinner at grandma's. IIRC, it's an old house converted into a restaurant, right? I stopped eating meat years ago when I started following the middle path of Buddhism but I remember loving that chicken. :-)

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1901
Posted on Friday, September 19, 2008 - 2:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I stopped in at Iva's last year on my way back from my place in the West Branch area. Not much to write home about in terms of food, though it is very homey. The casino is also a bust. It is very small and has no table games or entertainment. The only food option is a subway and a hot dog cart. I am not much of a gambler and spent my time bored to tears while others in my party sat at slot machines like zombies.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.