Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » Looking for extra shingles. » Archive through August 19, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Django
Username: Django

Post Number: 352
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 3:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Many times a few packs of shingles never get used when reshingling a house. If you have any extra packs Id gladly take them off your hands. Id like to put up a new layer on the shack Im buying. Weve got a few leaks and its getting annoying. Im not worried about the color, Im not familiar with the different types. Ive got about 2 bundles already. The house has only about 1700 sq ft to roof. I havnt figured out how many bundles Ill need yet. Im just throwin this out there to see what kind of a response I get. I may have something to trade, or labor. I do have some viable skills.

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 2711
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 8:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Django can stack a mean rock, I hear.

;)

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 2270
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 5:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HOT

FUDGE

Detroit

is

Cheep! (sic)

thread

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 3123
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 6:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.homeadditionplus.co m/Shingling%20a%20Roof.htm

You have 49 bundles more to go and you can do 1700 square feet. 3 bundles make one square, or 100 square feet.

Django

Post Number: 355
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 8:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ray, Thank you.

56. Im scared to look, Ive NEVER been over there.
Luckily Gannon was over and deciphered that for me, I LOVE IT, I LOVE IT, I LOVE IT.

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 1767
Posted on Sunday, May 25, 2008 - 11:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Saw this over on CL. $100

http://detroit.craigslist.org/ mat/693764985.html

Django

Post Number: 568
Posted on Monday, May 26, 2008 - 2:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Bigb, but the post was removed, so I assume sold. I appreciate you keepin an eye out for me.

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 1751
Posted on Monday, May 26, 2008 - 12:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hmmm, still can't figure it out.

Model D Detroit is hatching spools/threads... I dunno.

Django

Post Number: 583
Posted on Monday, May 26, 2008 - 5:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

East_d

Place your cursor over each pic for a second, from top to bottom.

Gannon was kind enough to show me what was going on with that.

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 1752
Posted on Monday, May 26, 2008 - 8:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ahh, ok, thanks!

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 4818
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 10:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is this what you have in mind for those shingles Django? :-)

Multi Shingle house Detroit

Rel
Username: Rel

Post Number: 728
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 9:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lowell,

I think you discovered a new architectural style... patchwork shingle revival.

Django

Post Number: 637
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 11:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you saw my house, youd be rollin, it looks so much like that one. I swear to god, I did a double take. LOL Only diff. My weeds are taller.

Plymouthres
Username: Plymouthres

Post Number: 854
Posted on Monday, August 18, 2008 - 9:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Django-

I am reviving this thread so that you know that I am going to help you get this project started just as I promised I would.

I have secured at least three bundles of black shingles from CraigsList tonight with the help of Rel (couldn't have done it without her!), and I have made two more calls to pick up an additional couple of bundles. I will go and retrieve them when the people call me back.

Since three bundles make a square, that equals two squares (10' x 10' each), and since your house is only about 12 square (my best guess from just looking at it from the ground), we only need about ten square (30 bundles) more to do the whole thing so you will be dry for the winter.

I have also secured two 47" x 47" double paned vinyl windows for the front of the house, and a 32" aluminum screen door for the side door, which should help make the place a bit more hospitable.

I will see if we can get the "Krewe" out to help mow down the weeds and clean up a bit, and I will also try to get some 1x for the fascia and soffits so that we can make the front look a bit more inviting and lived-in.

By the way, I did not think of your house as a run-down, ramshackle "SHACK", and I happen to think that the house actually will look pretty good when we get done with it. I will keep vigilant for more material (shingles, windows, etc.) to finish-up around the place and to let some light in. Start looking for some old curtains to cover the windows so that you have some privacy, and maybe some white paint to finish off the front of the structure once I frame the windows back in. I will also cover the windows with plexi glass when I am done to make sure the rock throwing kids don't mess up what we get done, and to protect them for a while. It will also help deter any break-ins, too.

Perhaps you could even get that fellow to plow across the street like we talked about so that we can get a jump on the garden space and maybe Pgn and Cub can dump the horse manure there so the soil will start to break down a bit and the stuff won't go to waste.

I will write more when I know more, but for now, thatttttttt's allllllll, folks!!

Plan on a September work day to start this project.

Django

Post Number: 1685
Posted on Monday, August 18, 2008 - 10:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How could I possibly thank you properly online Res?

Like I said Ive got two bundles of shingles.

Snowbank and I should be able to get the roof done. If we had a workday I would like it to be for the new garden. I cant turn down supplies for the house though. Well see.

I went to craigslist with an ad for leftover shingles and dint get any bites. You had a day and youve got enough to cover my roof. Very nice.

Well talk. Thanks.

Cub
Username: Cub

Post Number: 737
Posted on Monday, August 18, 2008 - 10:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We can have the work day for the house and the garden.
I can bring my tiller, weed whips, and riding mower. I am good with a hammer, paint brush and roller too!

Plymouthres

Post Number: 856
Posted on Monday, August 18, 2008 - 10:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I ain't done yet, and you and Snowbank can thank us when we are done. It just breaks my heart to see a man with the kind of heart that you have live in a house that needs the kind of work that you need, and with no one but us to help, it is the least I can do to help a brother out! Cub is in this as well, and he gets his chance to help pay it forward like you did for him and his garden. We WILL do both as I anticipate once I post the thread on the Detroit side, we should be able to assemble a couple of more folks to make it a full work team and magically transform the place in one day. That should get some attention from the neighbors and the kids, too!

It is the way the world SHOULD be, people helping people. Pretty simple concept, really.

Remember, Django, the glass is ALWAYS half full!

Blueidone
Username: Blueidone

Post Number: 301
Posted on Monday, August 18, 2008 - 10:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Let me look and see what I have in storage in the way of curtains and/or curtain rods.

Can you tell me how big the windows are that you still might need beyond what Res is getting? I may be able to get some used ones from a business buddy, but I'm not sure.

Also, there are service agencies who provide new windows and other energy saving items to those with low incomes under an energy efficiency grants from the State of Michigan. I will try to get you the names of the agencies who do that work. Roofing is not included, but windows, doors, furnaces and insulation can be installed through these grants.

Standby for further information....:-)

Zimm
Username: Zimm

Post Number: 77
Posted on Monday, August 18, 2008 - 10:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Django-

i have roughly 1 bundle of shingles that is currently holding my garage floor down. i'dd be happy to contribute them to your cause.

fwiw-i checked out the craigslist posting for the shingles that Rel picked up and i believe that mine are similar in appearance. and had i know Rel was in the area, i would have pulled them out. i'm only a couple of blocks from the CL shingles...

i also have a rolled sheet of tarpaper-type roofing material that you are welcome to. i have no idea how large it is when rolled out (i'm guessing 3 feet by 5-10 feet), but it was a present from my house's previous owners.

Plymouthres

Post Number: 858
Posted on Monday, August 18, 2008 - 11:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Blue and Zimm-

Thanks so much, you guys are the bomb! Blue, please see what you can get for this project as only you could do! I just knew this was going to go well! We will need at least 4'x4'-6" curtains for the front windows almost immediately, so shoot for that size if you can. Bigger is okay, too, as MrsRes is handy with her sewing machine and is all set to do her part to help out.

Django-

Measure the rest of the windows in the house so that we can get you some more windows to fillup where those boards are now!

I failed to mention that the shingles come with 3/4's of a roll of tar paper, and I am going to pick up those shingles in Novi tomorrow night, Zimm. Please e-mail me at bcjaxson at comcast dot net so I can hook up with you perhaps and pick yours up too.

I can be there by about 6 or 7 if that is okay with you.

Thanks so much again, and I know that Django thanks you, too!

Blueidone
Username: Blueidone

Post Number: 302
Posted on Monday, August 18, 2008 - 11:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's a list of groups and the amount of grant money they received for this year. The grant period for this year ends 8-31-08, however there will be new grants announced any time now, according to the information I have.

• Department of Human Services - $13,925,000 in total for statewide distribution to low-income households for energy efficiency upgrades.

• Michigan Community Action Agency Association - $2,000,000 in total for statewide distribution to provide weatherization upgrades for low-income
households.

United Way Community Services for Southeastern Michigan - $500,000 for matching grants to non-profit facilities for energy efficiency upgrade, energy, efficiency audits, and energy efficiency weatherization education.

• Urban Options, Inc. - $600,000 for weatherization of low-income client’s homes,
with a focus on heating systems, energy kits, and energy education throughout Michigan.

There are other groups, but those deal mostly with multi-family housing. One of these groups should be able to help you in the not-to-distant future.

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 534
Posted on Monday, August 18, 2008 - 11:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i got some shingles, have to see if my buddy still has some extra ones. this will pan out better the the gas grill i was gonna give Cub, besides the area needs the rain so i,d better hit the east side.

Plymouthres

Post Number: 862
Posted on Monday, August 18, 2008 - 11:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You got it, Reddog! Please drop what you can at Cubs or feel free to meet us at Django's for the workday when we announce it. Thanks for helping out and I look forward to meeting you very soon!

Res

Cub

Post Number: 739
Posted on Monday, August 18, 2008 - 11:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bring some rain if you come to the garden. LOL

Cub

Post Number: 741
Posted on Monday, August 18, 2008 - 11:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Man I love this place.

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 1667
Posted on Monday, August 18, 2008 - 11:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sure, I have a bathroom vanity that needs a new home. I need someone to take if off my hands ... Django, could you do me a favor and take a vanity?

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 1532
Posted on Monday, August 18, 2008 - 11:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All Electric... new business I'm involved in...

I think my Bazaar stuff is your area, right? Sorta kinda at least. Anyway, I will have a car, and be in the area. Meaning there would be time after that to do something in that department... I can't volunteer anyone else, but others may want to help (whom I work with... I am not licensed YET, but they are).

Also, if you find yourself wishing you had a certain tool... please ask. Depending on what it is, I probably have access to it.

Oh... car problems are worked out. I really am not one of those people that doesn't follow through... I really, really, really am not! I was just in a tight place for a few moments...

That is your area, right?

Zimm

Post Number: 78
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2008 - 12:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Django-
any chance you'd be interested in a 50' garden hose to tend to your garden? i have an extra that you are welcome to.

Zimm

Post Number: 79
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2008 - 12:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

does anyone here frequent the Habitat for Humanity stores. seems like those would be great sources for lightly used materials

Thursdaynext
Username: Thursdaynext

Post Number: 412
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2008 - 12:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Res - I think I have 2 packs of green shingles in my garage that may be of use. They are from the previous owner of my house and have been sitting on the floor of my garage so I'm not 100% sure about the condition. You'd need to take a look at them to see if they are still roof worthy (because I have no clue). If you're interested in checking them out maybe you can swing by my place after Zimm's, that is assuming you will be heading back home then and I'd be sort of on the way (I live in Redford, 6 & Beech area).

I can also give you a new set of IKEA curtains. There are 2 panels, each measure 57"x98" and they come with a special hemming kit that's supposed to be super simple to use (read: no sewing!). They are sort of an unbleached cotton look - very simple. They are lightweight, but not sheer, however light enough that at night you will probably see through them a bit when the lights are on in the house. Maybe you could use one panel per window for now?

Lastly, Django, since there is talk of mowing your yard, do you need a lawn mower? I have one I could give you. She runs well, but needs a little work (a good cleaning, oil change!, blade sharping). If you need one, and you are handy with this stuff, you can have it. It has a Honda engine so you know it won't die!