Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » Columbia Grafonola - Hand Cranked « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 8358
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 12:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have recently come to acquire a Columbia Grafonola. It works... Somewhat. Does anybody know anything about these things? It's in fairly good shape, though it could use refinishing. On one hand, I bet a bunch of people will say NO! Don't refinish it! You'll lose value. On the other hand, if I'm going to keep it, I'd like it to look nice.

http://www.dargate.com/256_auc tion/256_images/2346.jpg

That is not mine, that one is in beautiful condition. But that is what I have.

Craig
Username: Craig

Post Number: 989
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 12:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Agree re: refinishing. Possessions are meant to be used and enjoyed.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 8359
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 12:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, Craig. That makes me feel better. :-)

Craig
Username: Craig

Post Number: 990
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 12:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

..of course my wife is forever calling me an idiot for mocking the people on Antiques' Roadshow who wind up with a toy or a hat stand worth $10K.

Adapt that mo-fo to suit your need and taste (says the guy making a table to fit the iron legs from an old foot-treadle Singer).

Johnlodge

Post Number: 8360
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 1:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah the Antique Roadshow thing. It's always the ugliest, tackiest looking vase or lamp or something that is worth the big bucks. The really cool stuff is never worth anything. Yeah screw em. It'll be the same wood, only nice looking instead of old and beat up.

Ed_golick
Username: Ed_golick

Post Number: 1068
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 1:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've got a table model Victrola. You're supposed to use one needle per song, then replace the needle with a new one. You can buy needles on eBay.
The don't refinish rule applies only to expensive antiques, which your Grafonola isn't. If the finish is in bad shape, go for it!

Johnlodge

Post Number: 8366
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 1:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Ed. I printed out the old instruction manual off the Web, and I did see you are supposed to have one needle per record. I took that to mean use that needle each time you use that record. Is that correct? The thing is amazingly loud for something that uses no electronic amplification. Even with the vents closed it can be pretty loud.

Ed_golick

Post Number: 1069
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 4:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Johnlodge,
One needle per play.
http://www.gracyk.com/needleti ps.shtml

Johnlodge

Post Number: 8386
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 4:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Got it, thanks ed.

Something just like this passage is what confused me though:

quote:

Needles must be changed because material used in a disposable needle is soft so it can adjust to a record's sound wave walls. Manufacturers added abrasive agents into the chemical mixture that was the basis for old discs. As a steel needle enters the first sound groove, it is subjected to a grinding. The needle soon conforms to the individual wall design of a record. The grinding lessens and the needle then glides through the grooves. If you use the same needle on a second disc, the worn needle will damage grooves. The human eye will not detect damage to a record after one or two plays with a worn needle, but damage is done.

If the needle conforms to the individual wall designs of that record, its seems like THAT needle should be ok on THAT record multiple times.

I'm not sure the 78's I have are the right kind. I'm going to have to check that out by doing the light trick in your article.

Ed_golick

Post Number: 1071
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 5:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Johnlodge,
If you decide to refinish your machine, try to save any decals on it, as the stripper will destroy them. You can either tape them off or carefully apply the chemical around the decal with a cotton swab. I like to refinish with wipe-on polyurethane, maybe 5 or 6 layers.
You can get new felt for the turntable and other parts from Great Lakes Antique Phonograph.
http://www.victroladoctor.com/

Johnlodge

Post Number: 8390
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 5:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the link, Ed!

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 1791
Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2008 - 12:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Keep it original if you want to sell it.

Jimg
Username: Jimg

Post Number: 1021
Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2008 - 3:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The 'replace needle after each play' refers to the disposable needles, not the steel ones. (excuse me if you already know this)
78s range in quality, material wise, from sturdy Victors to softy Deccas, and then we have the oddball Edison "Hill and Dale" records. And if you happen to run across any Bessie Smith flag Columbias, or King Oliver Okehs, or anything with "Buddy Bolden" on it, contact me right away!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.