Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » Looking for extra shingles. » Archive through August 23, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Thursdaynext
Username: Thursdaynext

Post Number: 413
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2008 - 12:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Zimm's correct about Habitat for Humanity's ReStore. Had this thread come up a year ago you could have had a bunch of windows from me that I ending up giving to them.

http://www.habitat.org/cd/env/ restore_detail.aspx?place=59

Django
Username: Django

Post Number: 1686
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2008 - 12:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gnome, my Bathroom is actually the best place in my house to hang out in. Library within reach of the can and everything. If you want the vanity gone Ill take and store it until someone needs it, No Prob. But I dont NEED it. Ive got storage room though.

Sean., I do have mechanical skills if you need them, although newer cars can be tough. Simple stuff no prob.

Zimm. Buleidone made a donation to Cubs and my own garden for that reason of needing a watering hose. Im all set for hose, but like I told Gnome, you can store it here if its in the way at your place. Ill make sure it gets a useful home.

Lodgedodger
Username: Lodgedodger

Post Number: 400
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2008 - 7:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On which date is this shindig scheduled?

Plymouthres
Username: Plymouthres

Post Number: 865
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2008 - 8:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LD-

No date set yet, but perhaps the last half of September as I have other volunteer obligations thru the second week of September. I also need time to gather materials and coordinate volunteers, so keep watching here for an announcement as to when this will go down.

I would really like to thank everyone for the out-pouring of support and offerings of materials for this effort. I am sure that you all realize that this is not a charity event, but a way to make a difference in someone else's life that will help them, in turn, to help someone else when it is their turn.

Although he probably doesn't realize it, this is just a way to help Django for the stuff he has helped others with before.

Further proof, also, that we are not here for the benefit of ourselves, but for the benefit of others.

The community garden concept is sweeping through the city at a fierce rate, tying communities together that have been allowed to fall into the separation that causes the blight, both morally and literally, throughout neighborhoods all across our region and the CoD.

This is your opportunity to take back what has been taken away over so many years, and the garden concept is a vision that Django shares with our other more visionary members here.

I am looking forward to meeting many of you that I haven't met before through this effort, and, perhaps by working this together, we can expand the vision that Cub began this spring into a thriving way of bringing people back together rather than the trend of driving them apart.

Thanks again!!

Res

Craig
Username: Craig

Post Number: 979
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2008 - 9:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just curious and asking because I'm not clear as to whether any experienced roofers are in on this project...

-is the project a re-roof or a tear-off?
-(if there are two or more layers up there now you're tearing them off, right?)
-is the decking sound? safe to be up there working? if not: have access to some pieces of OSB for patch-work?

Good luck. Hope that the morning-after action report holds no casualties.

Plymouthres

Post Number: 866
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2008 - 10:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Craig-

I am an ex-owner of a construction business and I have done about 80,000sqft of roofing in my day. I am also a Historic Preservation Carpenter at Fort Wayne. I believe that we have enough experience to manage this job SAFELY.

This will be a re-roof, with approximately two/three layers of roofing existing but leaking.
We will be tearing down to decking and perhaps replacing the existing sheathing should it be necessary, then tarp paper and a new layer of shingles. We will also be replacing the 1x8 fascia and small, 4" soffit, plus rebuilding the small overhang of the porch that exists so that it will protect the front entrance door and new windows we are putting in.

It is a one story ranch and the fascia is about ten feet off the ground, with a walkable 4/12 pitch. I have roof jacks but don't think I will need them. We will have plenty of ladders as well, which should help it go much more quickly. I am sure we could use some roof vents if you have any to spare. I did not see any, but I was just there quickly and did not get up on the roof.

I was going to bring 1x for the decking, and have planned to bring some plywood sheathing as a back-up if it's not 1x already (3/4" vs. 1/2"?).

If you've got experience and want to help, feel free to keep an eye out here as we will need people to volunteer and make it easier for all of us.

I will be bringing my compressor and nail gun, along with 25#'s of roofing nails, 1 1/4" long.

In my day, I could roof a house like this in one day with another experienced member of my crew, as it is no more than 12 square.

Thanks for the interest and hope you can help out!

Res

Lodgedodger
Username: Lodgedodger

Post Number: 402
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2008 - 11:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If it's on a free day for me, you can count me in on the gardens...

Craig

Post Number: 980
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2008 - 12:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I doubt that I will be available: fighting an on-going war with my own place. Post the date when it's available, though. Maybe.

I'm a hammer guy. Straight roof (no goddamned dormers)? Strip the roof, and then two guys and a couple of kids could knock this out in a long day.

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 4441
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2008 - 1:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

pic

Blueidone
Username: Blueidone

Post Number: 306
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2008 - 1:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Res: Check your e-mail...got some info on windows for you...hope it helps!

Plymouthres

Post Number: 868
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2008 - 11:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Blue. I will be checking it out when Django gets us the measurements.

Alley
Username: Alley

Post Number: 573
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2008 - 1:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whenever you guys decide to do it, if I can get away from the kids I'll come over to help. I can't roof but I can clean up or garden and all kinds of other things. It'll be like workcamp all over again!

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 1678
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2008 - 6:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not much of a roofer, ... get a little PTSD with being up high - but I can install windows.

Django

Post Number: 1694
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2008 - 7:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I really want to thank everyone. DYES amazes me yet again with responses of generosity.

Ive been E mailing with Res and we've got it under control. Id really like this all to happen but I need to get some paperwork done so that I know the house will legally be mine. I hope to get this done before mid Sept.

Vetalalumni
Username: Vetalalumni

Post Number: 1105
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2008 - 8:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Please take digital pictures of the evolution, if Django allows for it. Digitally capturing transformations can be a positive influence and an education on many levels. Inspiration for the apprehensive. Reaffirmation for the discouraged. Proof to the uninitiated. History in the making.

Plymouthres

Post Number: 869
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2008 - 8:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Vet-

We will be working diligently toward the goal of restoring the place so that it fits in better with the current houses in the neighborhood and hopefully we can start the garden across the street with the same vision that Cub had for his garden-as a community gathering place.

We will also record this project, as you suggest, as it moves along, to kind of illustrate what it takes to establish and complete these types of efforts and hopefully it will save others any trouble that they might run into if they chose to take on such an endeavor.

With all the negative that this city gets continually, perhaps this project will spur others on to do something positive for their neighbors and their enclaves, too. It really isn't that difficult, just takes some time, effort and some devotion of peoples spare time (which is always the most difficult part!).

This project will be on your "tour" when you come to town! Maybe we can even have a couple of more for you to see by the time you get here!
Time will tell......

Stay tuned....

Gnome and Alley-

Please feel freee to show up when we get the times ironed out. we can use you for something, as there will be many tasks to accomplish, and the moral support would be nice, too!

Eriedearie
Username: Eriedearie

Post Number: 2799
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2008 - 10:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The respect shown here towards your fellow man is so heartwarming to me. Really guys, reading this has brought tears to my eyes.

The saying "Every man for himself" does not apply when you guys get involved. The camaraderie that started with Cub's vision is astounding to me.

I think you've all forged some life long friendships here. People working toward the betterment of all and paying it forward. This really is Detroit history in the making.

If our health wasn't so poor, me and Mr. Erie would lend a hand. But I'll keep watch as to when this is gonna happen and I'll bake my awesome apple walnut muffins or something and we'll do a road trip! I've just gotta pitch in and do something!

Vetalalumni
Username: Vetalalumni

Post Number: 1106
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2008 - 11:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eriedearie, that is a tremendous gesture.

Vivadetroit
Username: Vivadetroit

Post Number: 50
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2008 - 10:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Everyone on this forum make me proud to be from Detroit. This is why Detroit is so great. Unfortunately, the media focuses on the bad and not like great deeds like we are all going to be doing for Django. yay DYes!

I would love to help. I am good at cleaning yucky old stuff, painting and fixing little things. Just let me know the date.

Django, I have a pair of navy blue miniblinds, 4 x6 size, if you're interested.

What else do you need for your house? Let me know and I will go hit my parents up for some stuff. My mom is Michigan's largest packrat and I am sure she could outfit your house 5 times over.

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 538
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 12:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

looking in my garage today i found some shingles, not alot but i have a shingle removal tool and some ice guard? also.have to see my buddy about his shingles.

Plymouthres

Post Number: 870
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 5:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Reddog -

We will certainly take the shingles off your hands, and that should make just about 3 square we have collected already! The tool, the shingles and the ice shield will really come in handy and we appreciate it very much! Please let us know about your buddy or anyone else who has shingles that you know as we still need about 9 square(about 27 bundles!).

Viva-

Thanks so much for the offers of support and material. Awesome contribution as we can use all the help we can get! Django and I will discuss things and let you know if there is anything else we need. Thank you so much for your consideration.

I know Django is very grateful to you all for your kindness!

We are looking forward to meeting you and Reddog when the time comes. Please keep watching this thread for the announcement!

Res

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 539
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 12:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HEY found some drip edge too, left over stuff from the guy who lived here before, after i hit my buddy,s , i should stop by my big sis,s house. WHO KNOWS what she wants gone

Ffdfd
Username: Ffdfd

Post Number: 337
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 12:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think it's great that people are willing to help someone down on his luck. Just curious, how does this charitable spirit square with the fact he has been actively seeking a graffiti artist to decorate his house? Not trying to be flip here -- I want my neighbors to have windows, but I wouldn't want graffiti.

Zimm
Username: Zimm

Post Number: 80
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 1:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^^there's a big difference between graffiti and a graffiti art piece.

i have no problem helping someone who to decorate his garage in a manor that others find tacky if he's a good man who needs a watertight roof over his head.

Craig

Post Number: 986
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 9:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You're still going to post the work date & time, right?

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 13924
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 11:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, now we've got enough of ONE color...I was looking for the code for that pseudo random-number generator to mix the colors we had in smaller doses.

I guess I could've asked Jimaz, I'm sure he has a few lying around...

Ffdfd
Username: Ffdfd

Post Number: 338
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 12:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

As far as being "down on his luck", I wouldn't necessarily put it in such a condescending manner myself.

https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/5/151969.html

quote:

As for the graffiti, I saw none in the immediate area, so if it were "decorated" in that manner, it would stick out like a sore thumb, which is exactly what Django is trying to avoid.

https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/10041/146675.html

Django

Post Number: 1702
Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2008 - 6:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Again, I just want to truly thank everyone. Ive been gone for the past couple of
days, that's some of the reason why I haven't been more involved with this thread. The
other reason is that Im feeling a bit uncomfortable. I started this thread asking for
any extra shingles from you all for free or possible trade. Now its developed into
something much much much bigger. Thanks to the Res's Ive got a lot of hope now for
"the shack". Thanks to you all Ive learned a lot about what ppl might think of a house
with either a piece of art sprayed on the side, or seemingly common graffiti, and of
course, thanks to you all Ive learned how many big hearts are out there on The DYES.
The whole charity thing kinda bugs me though. I honestly just wanted some shingles. If
I take the shingles, the supplies, the help from you all on the house AND the garden,
that makes me indebted, but to who am I indebted too? to Res, Blueidone, Gannon, even
Ffdfd, all of you, the Karma Gods(or in my situation, Detroit's community).. That is
something that I am quickly learning, learning I can deal with that. Owing an
individual is one thing but putting work to a community is much easier and much more
fulfilling(for me anyway). This whole situation reminds me of modern day homesteading.
I still need to get some paperwork done so that I know this house will legally be in
my name someday. This should be done by the first week of Sept. Until then I think it
would be wise to hold up on the setting of dates for a work party. I dont want to put
a bunch of work into this house unless I know its going to be mine at some point. I
know the house was bought for $300 through a tax auction, Ive paid a little over $2000
toward the note. I have no idea what "the shack" is worth so the owner and I, who is a
friend, need to come up with a number.
Again, thank you all. Ive never seen such an outpouring of support and help up close
like this. This is really something that makes me happy. To be a part of Detroit in
this sense is something to be proud of.

Blueidone
Username: Blueidone

Post Number: 311
Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2008 - 6:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Django...I understand how you feel. Let me relate a little story of what happened to me a few years back...

In 1999, I began chatting in a chatroom on AOL. This particular group used to have parties at local bars almost every week, so I met lots of great people, but most of them remained strangers other than their screenname...just like the DYes folks.

In late October that year, I suffered a heart attack and was hospitalized for a few days. When my boyfriend (who I had met at one of these parties, and later married) told the folks in the chatroom what had happened, I received gifts, cards, and personal visits from people I had never met. They took the time to find out who I was, where I lived and what hospital I was in. I had never had such an outpouring of concern from people in my entire life.

At first I was embarrassed and didn't know how to react. Then, I realized that, in general, most people have kind hearts and compassion for others. They may have forgotten it, or pushed those feelings into deep recesses in their minds, but they are still there.

I thanked each one of them personally and promised to "pay it forward" to keep the feeling that we are all brothers and sisters of the same earth alive.

I can't physically do much anymore...but whatever it is I can do, I will do...to help others get through their lives with a little more happiness and comfort.

If we don't help each other in times of need, none of us will survive in the long term.

Yeah...I know it's corny...but it's what I truly believe.

Django

Post Number: 1705
Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2008 - 7:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not corny at all.

Pay it forward, thats the phrase I was looking for.