Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » Coffee, which brand is best? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Lodgedodger
Username: Lodgedodger

Post Number: 549
Posted on Friday, September 12, 2008 - 12:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One of the posters mentioned a brand of coffee they'd drive out of their way to purchase. What are the favorite coffees of forum posters?

I'm hoping to learn of a few new brands as Hubby LOVES coffee. I'd like to surprise him with different coffees.

Downriviera
Username: Downriviera

Post Number: 967
Posted on Friday, September 12, 2008 - 12:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The City Brew at City Coffeehouse in Allen Park is really good. They also have some other good ones, too.

http://www.citycoffeehouseinc. com/

Alley
Username: Alley

Post Number: 632
Posted on Friday, September 12, 2008 - 12:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like any place with Cadillac Coffee

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 1987
Posted on Friday, September 12, 2008 - 1:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My favorite is the brew they serve at Dunkin Donuts. All the fancy places have coffee that is just too bitter.

Jiminnm
Username: Jiminnm

Post Number: 1782
Posted on Friday, September 12, 2008 - 1:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

New Mexico Pinon Coffee. Everyone who visits us goes home with some and some buy it off the web.
http://www.nmpinoncoffee.com/n pc_shop/index.asp

Cambrian, Costco here in NM sells Dunkin Donuts coffee beans (5 lb bags I think).

Maof2
Username: Maof2

Post Number: 543
Posted on Friday, September 12, 2008 - 1:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

if i'm buying at the grocery store, i flip-flop between folgers or maxwell house, whichever is on sale but, prices have gone up and i have been known to buy kroger brand which isn't too bad. now, if i treat myself, mcdonald's coffee is pretty good.

Tarkus
Username: Tarkus

Post Number: 583
Posted on Friday, September 12, 2008 - 1:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Costco sells Biggbys $11 for 2.5lbs. whole bean. Yumm

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 3643
Posted on Friday, September 12, 2008 - 1:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For a quick hot cup of coffee, I'll take 7-11 any time -- with Dunkin' Donuts a close second.

Vetalalumni
Username: Vetalalumni

Post Number: 1144
Posted on Friday, September 12, 2008 - 1:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Brewed from the grocer, Folgers
Brewed online, coffeefool.com
For the occasional instant, Lingzhi is surprisingly tasty

Detroitbred
Username: Detroitbred

Post Number: 99
Posted on Friday, September 12, 2008 - 2:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cambrian, I am with you! Dunkin Donuts has been my favorite for years ( with or without the donut )! I was excited when they started to sell it in the stores.

Downriviera

Post Number: 969
Posted on Friday, September 12, 2008 - 3:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When you're in Chicago check this place out, its coffee heaven. They even have a $20 cup of coffee.

http://www.intelligentsiacoffe e.com/

Awfavre
Username: Awfavre

Post Number: 288
Posted on Friday, September 12, 2008 - 3:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some of my all-time favorite coffee is from Raven’s Brew. You can buy the coffee at the Raven Coffee House in downtown Port Huron, or you can buy it online.
http://www.ravensbrew.com/NewF iles/shopping.html

Their decaf coffees are absolutely the best I’ve ever had.

Cheddar_bob
Username: Cheddar_bob

Post Number: 1969
Posted on Friday, September 12, 2008 - 3:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Meijer brand french roast coffee that you grind in the store is my fav. Reasonably priced, too. On the go, Speedway is my choice.

Lodgedodger

Post Number: 550
Posted on Friday, September 12, 2008 - 4:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks so much, everyone! He'll be tickled pink when some of these show up in the cupboard.

My personal favorite is Dallmayr Prodomo. I make it in my mini coffee pot. I don't like the strong stuff the way my husband does and this tastes good to me. I pick it up at Meijers in the International Foods section. If you like a mellow coffee without that strong, burned taste, try it.

Jiminnm
Username: Jiminnm

Post Number: 1784
Posted on Friday, September 12, 2008 - 4:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tarkus, we were in Kalamazoo a month ago and brought home a bag of Water Street and a bag of Biggbys. They're both pretty good, but I still like the pinon best.

(Message edited by jiminnm on September 12, 2008)

Jita1
Username: Jita1

Post Number: 88
Posted on Friday, September 12, 2008 - 6:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dunkin' Donuts coffee is the best.

Mackenzie68
Username: Mackenzie68

Post Number: 34
Posted on Friday, September 12, 2008 - 9:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just went to Costco and they had a setup for Espresso Royale to do tastings and grind their beans for customers. $9.99 for two pounds, dark roast, medium roast or decaf. I tried the decaf and immediately bought a bag of it and one of dark roast. It's roasted in Ann Arbor.

I usually drink Bay Blend from Trader Joe's, mixed two parts decaf to one of regular, just so you know my tastes. Coffee out is Dunkin', Panera, Tim's, Biggy or Bearclaw. Caribou has stuck me with regular instead of the unleaded too many times, they are off my list.

(Message edited by mackenzie68 on September 13, 2008)

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 2726
Posted on Friday, September 12, 2008 - 10:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I drink a lot of coffee. I mean a LOT of coffee. (Perhaps that is evident in my posts.) Therefore, I can't always indulge myself in premium coffees. I will add that I owned (and still own) a Sunbeam-brand grinder 'way before grinding your own was as fashionable as it now is, which led me to discovering that Eight O' Clock Hazelnut is, to my surprise, actually pretty good, BUT speaking of hazelnut, I don't know if Merchant Of Vino is still around, but their hazelnut ("Creme de Noisette") coffee was some of the best coffee I have ever tasted. (Whole bean, ground at home, of course.)
Way back when, I used to mix Chock Full O' Nuts coffee and Progresso (brand) Espresso at about a 3/1 ratio and brew it in an aluminum percolator. Don't look at me like that!-- it was really, really good, and smoooooth.
In the 70's, the Kona coffee served at Formerly Alvin's, on the campus of Wayne State, was superb.

Grocery store:
I find that Folger's and Maxwell House are O.K. IF and ONLY if I buy the Columbian.

Folger's makes one called Gourmet Supreme. It's pretty good, but it's a rather dark roast; I wouldn't suggest drinking it for many days in a row, as it could wear out its welcome. Folger's also test-piloted a new one, recently, called Black Silk. Of course, I had to try it. It was interesting, and O.K., really, but it is not only very dark and robust, it also has a kind of smokiness to it which, again, makes for a good change-of-pace, occasionally, but not every day. I can't truly give it a definite thumbs-up or a definite thumbs-down.
I even used to belong to a coffee-of-the-month club, for a while, and that was fun, but CRIPES, once my wife told me how much it cost, it almost became difficult to really enjoy the coffee.
Still... After the day at work, to be at home, with some freshly brewed coffee and a pipeful of Haymarket tobacco from Hill & Hill... Life is pretty good, in some small-but-invaluable ways.

Yeah, that's right; I'm a shameless sensualist, in my fashion.
Don't even get me started about chocolate.

Ravine

Post Number: 2727
Posted on Friday, September 12, 2008 - 10:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm sorry; that was just ridiculous.

Lodgedodger, check to see if the Merchant Of Vino still has a store, around here. I loved the Creme de Noisette I mentioned, but their Jamaican Blue Mountain was terrific, too, and I'll bet that all of their coffees are top-notch. Also, you could buy it in whatever quantities you choose, so you might be able to bring your coffee-loving spouse a basket of assorted little bags of delicious samples.

If you don't have a grinder, buy one. They're inexpensive.

You're a GOOD wife!

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 6367
Posted on Friday, September 12, 2008 - 10:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kopi Luwak Eeuw!

Ravine

Post Number: 2729
Posted on Friday, September 12, 2008 - 11:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, Jimaz, thanks for that.
Suddenly, a nice can of Chase & Sanborn-- whose coffee tastes like it was pulled out of a mildewed basement shortly before the assassination of the Archduke Ferdinand-- sounds kinda yummy.

Olddetroiter
Username: Olddetroiter

Post Number: 1393
Posted on Saturday, September 13, 2008 - 9:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't like those fancy flavored coffees. After many, many years drinking coffee out of machines at work anything that's actually brewed tastes good. Even most instants taste better. My favorite is whatever is on sale.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 2447
Posted on Saturday, September 13, 2008 - 9:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just really like Tim Horton's Coffee, the right viscosity (a big thing with me and coffee, can't stand the brown dishwater at most gas stations) and full of smooth flavor.
Don't like Starbucks, too bitter.
try the Green Mountain brand that some Mobil stations sell, a great cup of joe at a regular price.

Transitrider
Username: Transitrider

Post Number: 69
Posted on Saturday, September 13, 2008 - 1:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rouge Roastery
Custom roasted locally by Big Dave, great selection of beans, makes the best coffee:
http://www.rougeroastery.com

Chalu64
Username: Chalu64

Post Number: 264
Posted on Saturday, September 13, 2008 - 4:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Another Dunkin Donut fan.

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 3733
Posted on Saturday, September 13, 2008 - 5:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK, everybody, you can yell at me all you want, but mine is Starbuck's Ethiopian Sidamo,Sulawesi, Arabian Mocha Sanini, Anniversary blend or Komodo Dragon. I like my coffee strong and rich.
Awfavre, the Raven is also very good. I like their Three Peckered Billy Goat and Deadman's Reach. The actual coffee house is very cool. Much cooler than Starbucks, but harder to get to.

Maof2
Username: Maof2

Post Number: 573
Posted on Saturday, September 13, 2008 - 5:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wow, that's a mouthful:-) jcole, when you order it, do you have to say the whole name or is there a broken down version? something like, "I'll have SESSAMSA".

Eriedearie
Username: Eriedearie

Post Number: 3093
Posted on Saturday, September 13, 2008 - 7:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

An Italian friend of mine makes the best brewed Espresso. She has her mother's small wooden coffee grinder that her mother brought with her when she left Italy. She grinds the espresso beans by hand and puts them into a two tiered silver coffee pot, also brought over on the ship from Italy. Sets it on the stove, and oh...the aroma. I've often thought if I could dab a little bit of that aroma behind each ear, I'd have Italian men seeking me for miles around! LOL

Once the brew is done to perfection, she pours the dark precious liquid in an oversized espresso cup and places it on a saucer and adds a shot of anise liquor to it. Oh...heaven just conjuring up the experience. What a treat! That is my favorite coffee in the world :-)

Downriviera

Post Number: 971
Posted on Saturday, September 13, 2008 - 8:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eriedearie, that 2 tiered silver pot is a Moka pot. They make good strong coffee, but not a true espresso. They don't provide enough pressure to make a real espresso with crema. The anise helps to tame the bitterness. Good stuff, just not espresso.

Lodgedodger

Post Number: 559
Posted on Saturday, September 13, 2008 - 8:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Erie,

Check this out. I LOVE mine! Treat yourself!

I checked out the Raven's Brew site. I think I'm going to order one of the t-shirt|coffee|travel mug combos and leave it for him one morning. He'll love it. Thanks for the heads up on that one, Awf!

Chuckjav
Username: Chuckjav

Post Number: 728
Posted on Saturday, September 13, 2008 - 9:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Costs more than most; well worth it - Caribou Coffee

http://www.cariboucoffee.com/a sp/shop/index.asp

Lodgedodger

Post Number: 560
Posted on Saturday, September 13, 2008 - 10:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's probably helpful to insert the link...

http://www.bialettishop.com/Mo kaExpressMain.htm

Eriedearie

Post Number: 3097
Posted on Saturday, September 13, 2008 - 11:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorta looks like the coffee pot, but hers seems to be taller and thinner. And its been in use for over 85 years. I'll have to ask my friend if there's a name on hers. We refer to it as espresso and ever since I was a young girl I drank the coffee from that pot. Wish I could still drink the strong stuff and sleep at night. But caffeine really does a number on me anymore. I have any caffeine after 1pm and my eyes won't slam shut all night. I drink espresso rarely - only when visiting my friend. Then it's a real treat for me. Good company, great conversation, and a delicious beverage. What more could one ask for?

Jcole

Post Number: 3738
Posted on Saturday, September 13, 2008 - 11:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Erie, that is the original stove top espresso maker, from before there were electric ones. http://www.espressozone.com/es presso-makers.html
There are a ton of different styles, as you'll see at the above link.

Jcole

Post Number: 3739
Posted on Saturday, September 13, 2008 - 11:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually, although it tastes really strong, espresso has less caffience per cup than coffee, because it's steamed and only in contact with the grounds for a short period of time. But, it does have a very high oil content,because it's not filtered. So it can raise cholesteral.

Jcole

Post Number: 3740
Posted on Saturday, September 13, 2008 - 11:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mao, no I just order whatever is brewing. Now they only brew the Pike Street blend, which is a good general coffee. I buy the others that I mentioned for home drinking. The ones I listed are pretty much Starbucks Full-bodied flavors from Asia and couple African ones.

Eriedearie

Post Number: 3100
Posted on Sunday, September 14, 2008 - 10:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jcole - I just know that when I drink espresso, I am WIRED! If I want to get a lot of housework done and be able to go, go, go all day long that's what I can count on.

When I was working out of the home I made the mistake of stopping at Starbucks and ordered an espresso to go. I drank that and had the most productive work day ever! LOL - I never made that mistake again :-)

Chuckjav

Post Number: 733
Posted on Sunday, September 14, 2008 - 11:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am told my our resident coffee expert - and son; the lighter roast coffees have a stronger caffeine content. The dark roasted coffees literally have the caffeine cooked out of them.

Eriedearie

Post Number: 3104
Posted on Sunday, September 14, 2008 - 12:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chuckjav - that is interesting. Ask your son if that is the way decaf is processed?

Servite76
Username: Servite76

Post Number: 72
Posted on Monday, September 15, 2008 - 6:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I bought a Cuisinart "Grind and Brew" a couple years back. That, with fresh whole beans from Dunkin Donuts makes my day.

Jita1
Username: Jita1

Post Number: 89
Posted on Monday, September 15, 2008 - 7:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Servite76, you know your stuff. I did the same thing. I got a Cuisinart Brew Central last Christmas. Along with the very smooth and tasty Dunkin Donuts coffee, it can't be beat.

(Message edited by jita1 on September 15, 2008)

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 2579
Posted on Monday, September 15, 2008 - 9:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like the New Mexico pinon coffee, too, and you can get it at Trader Joe's.

Chuckjav

Post Number: 737
Posted on Monday, September 15, 2008 - 2:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eriedearie....Sammy sez that Caribou uses water (universal solvent) to leech caffeine from the beans. Evil Starbucks, on the other hand, uses chemical solvents to decaffeinate their coffee.

Uh-oh...I've started a war!

Eriedearie

Post Number: 3127
Posted on Monday, September 15, 2008 - 4:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the info Chuckjav! Next time I'm around one I'll have to stop in at Caribou and try it to see if I can tell the difference. And thank Sammy for me :-)

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1891
Posted on Monday, September 15, 2008 - 5:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tim Horton's and Illy.

Chuckjav

Post Number: 739
Posted on Monday, September 15, 2008 - 5:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eriedearie...Will-Do

Girlygirl
Username: Girlygirl

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, September 15, 2008 - 6:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cafe Bustelo and Illy brewed in my little silver Moka pot..........ummmm, good!!

Jcole

Post Number: 3773
Posted on Monday, September 15, 2008 - 9:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't drink decaf so I don't care how they get the caffeine out of it, just so long as they leave the caffeine in mine.

Newlaster
Username: Newlaster

Post Number: 258
Posted on Thursday, September 18, 2008 - 1:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Definitely have to second stopping at Intelligentsia Coffee while in Chicago.

Order a cappuccino. No qualifiers. Just cappuccino.

I had been drinking 'specialty coffee' for 10 years before I tried a cappuccino from Intelligentsia and it changed how I thought about coffee. It was a 'see the light' moment.

Django
Username: Django

Post Number: 1953
Posted on Thursday, September 18, 2008 - 2:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

<?xml>
<kml>
<placemark>
<name>Blue Mountain</name>
<description>Manchester, Jamaica</description>
<point>
<coordinates>-77.4333333,18.06 66667,0</coordinates>
</point>
</placemark>
</kml>

Mikie
Username: Mikie

Post Number: 175
Posted on Friday, September 19, 2008 - 4:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is my personal favorite. You can buy it at Rafal's or Rocky's in Eastern Market.

http://www.gimmecoffee.com/Eth iopia-Harar-P15C13.aspx

(Message edited by Mikie on September 19, 2008)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.