Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » Google and genealogy « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 3662
Posted on Wednesday, September 17, 2008 - 2:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Was staring at an old family obit clipping yesterday. When I noted the church at 12th (now Rosa Parks) and Lysander, I wondered if the church was still there. Being 2,000 miles away, little tough to take a drive there, so instead I clicked on Google street view, and by golly, there's the church she had her funeral from. Yeah, hard copy made and added to the files. Cyberspace is amazing!

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 1824
Posted on Wednesday, September 17, 2008 - 4:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Microsoft's Live Search Maps have a "birds-eye-view" feature for many urban and suburban areas.

Here's one of their multiple views of 12th and Lysander (resized to fit this post):

12th & Lysander

Lferg
Username: Lferg

Post Number: 25
Posted on Thursday, September 18, 2008 - 3:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Ray,

Just had to comment on how much I enjoy your genealogy posts!

You may be way ahead of me, but the new search through LDS offers old marriage and birth records from Wayne County.

Ray1936

Post Number: 3665
Posted on Thursday, September 18, 2008 - 6:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ah....wasn't aware of that. I'll check it out.

I got hooked on the hobby about ten years ago. Started with 40 names of relatives I knew. My database is currently pushing 6,000.

Lferg
Username: Lferg

Post Number: 26
Posted on Friday, September 19, 2008 - 9:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The new search feature is great. Use your imagination with the spellings as I have found some very unusual versions of the last names.

My database isn't nearly that large yet, but so far I am very pleased with my progress. One of these days I'll get back to Michigan so I can check out the Detroit Library.

Dtctygrl
Username: Dtctygrl

Post Number: 55
Posted on Monday, September 29, 2008 - 10:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Isn't genealogy wonderful? How great to have pieces come together.

Dtctygrl
Username: Dtctygrl

Post Number: 56
Posted on Monday, September 29, 2008 - 11:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Isn't genealogy wonderful? It's so great when pieces come together.

Ray1936

Post Number: 3699
Posted on Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 11:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes. Yes.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 8765
Posted on Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 12:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ray, has your family been in the U.S. for awhile? 6,000 names! My great grandparents all came here in the early 1900's. Tracking them back overseas is not easy.

Ray1936

Post Number: 3701
Posted on Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 1:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks to my paternal grandmother's side, it goes back to 1620. John Alden and Priscilla Mullins are 8xgreat grandparents.

Direct male line goes to 1717 when Thomas Downing, a Quaker, left Devonshire for Pennsylvania. And that line can be traced in Devon back to 1530 thanks to parish records.

But I've been researching for eleven years now. I started with about 40 names. Hey, it's a great hobby if you love screwing up your eyes over rolls and rolls of microfilm....... :-)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.