Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » ItsJeff Memorial Boulder « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Lowell
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 5045
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 12:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It has been a long slow effort, but the ItsJeff Memorial Boulder has finally joined his bench at its serene setting on Belle Isle. Thanks to the generosity of many our late great forum friend is honored. Twilight pictures from today...

ItsJeff Memorial Bench adn boulder Belle Isle Detroit

Django
Username: Django

Post Number: 2002
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 12:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for that Lowell. Ill be out there to check it out ASAP.

That man was such a sweetheart, Im it debt to him for more than just what I owed him, and I didnt know him well enough.

(Message edited by django on September 25, 2008)

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 1071
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 1:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can't wait to go see it out there when I take my dog for a walk. Looks great!

Lodgedodger
Username: Lodgedodger

Post Number: 604
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 11:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That is so beautiful AND a wonderful tribute.

Many hugs to you, Lowell and the other contributors.

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 2120
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 12:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Very nice.

Maybe https://www.detroityes.com/itsjeff should point somewhere in case someone interprets that line to be an address?

Lowell
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 5047
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 2:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fixed^. I had it as http://Detroityes.com/ITSJEFF/ upper case like on the boulder. I have also created it as a lower case file. Shouldn't make a difference but it does.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 3052
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 3:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Beautiful, Lowell!! Dave and I will be sure to stop by on our next visit to Belle Isle!!

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 2122
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 4:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Fixed^. I had it as http://Detroityes.com/ITSJEFF/ upper case like on the boulder. I have also created it as a lower case file. Shouldn't make a difference but it does.

Excellent!

Terridarlin
Username: Terridarlin

Post Number: 70
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 5:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Such a wonderful tribute. I imagine his family is very grateful for the remembrance, and proud to know that their son was significant to so many.

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 1938
Posted on Monday, September 29, 2008 - 4:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Very impressive, Lowell

Gumby
Username: Gumby

Post Number: 1834
Posted on Monday, September 29, 2008 - 10:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Very nice tribute. It brought a tear to my eye the second I saw it. It is still hard to believe it has been over a year and a half since we lost Jeff. I will never forget the smiles he brought to all of our faces. Still miss ya Jeff.

Billybbrew
Username: Billybbrew

Post Number: 345
Posted on Monday, September 29, 2008 - 11:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jeff's mom and Aunt Karen visited the boulder over the weekend and they were very impressed and very grateful that he is remembered and was loved by so many.

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 2457
Posted on Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 12:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And it is also a very tranquil and serene setting as you view his memorial from the river.

Scout
Username: Scout

Post Number: 48
Posted on Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 4:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I didn't know Jeff, but this is a lovely tribute to someone's memory, D-style. Just perfect.

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 6737
Posted on Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 4:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I still feel the great void left behind when Jeff left us on a regular basis.

I know I'm not along in saying he is still greatly missed.

Eriedearie
Username: Eriedearie

Post Number: 20
Posted on Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 4:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That is such a nice memorial to an obviously great guy. I didn't know Jeff, but from reading his thread, I see I missed out.

However, I'd like to make a suggestion that maybe someone who frequents the island, might take pictures during the changing of our seasons and post them here if it's not too much trouble. Just a thought.

Dday
Username: Dday

Post Number: 918
Posted on Wednesday, October 01, 2008 - 4:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I still feel the great void left behind when Jeff left us on a regular basis.

I know I'm not along in saying he is still greatly missed.

I hear ya AIW. Not a day goes by that I don't think about Jeff. Great memorial. Great location for the bench. I saw the bench over the summer in the early morning before the Wings parade. What a nice place for some peaceful reflection. Knowing that it is there honoring my (and many others) dear friend makes it that much better. I can't wait come home and see the memorial boulder

Lowell: You should move these pictures to Jeff's page.....Speaking of Jeff, do you have the picture of him in the yellow Tiger hat in a resolution that I could make an 8x10 print of it? Shoot me an email here

(Message edited by D-Day on October 01, 2008)

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 7340
Posted on Wednesday, October 01, 2008 - 5:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sadly, I never made it to a Forum Picnic nor Forum Social Club while Jeff was still alive. So I had never met him personally.

But he and I had traded many EMAILs over the years, and he would give me a heads about some thread or some other item on the internet.

I also think about some of our other forumers who are no longer with us, such as PSIP and BOBJ.

They're probably together right now discussing Detroit in HeavenYES.com, or drinking a beer at the Heaven Forum Social Club. (There's a German song that states... yes, beer exists in heaven!) :-)

Gumby
Username: Gumby

Post Number: 1840
Posted on Friday, October 03, 2008 - 12:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You are right Gistok we should also remember PSIP and BOBJ. I never met BOBJ but he seemed like a great guy. I met PSIP (Zen) only once when we carpooled down to Detroit from the Flint area for an FSC meeting at the Park Bar. I was a little leery at first driving with someone I didn't know in my car but my fears were immediately put to rest when I met PSIP. What an awesome individual he was, had the best conversation with him on the car ride down and although we were from different generations we had no problem finding common ground on everything we discussed from music to politics. All of them are greatly missed.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 7346
Posted on Friday, October 03, 2008 - 2:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I met BOBJ and his wife every August (for the last 5 years) at Preservation Wayne's annual Historic Movie Palace tours.

They were 2 of the walking tour guides, and since I was the first speaker to the tour groups (onsite guide at the first stop, the State/Filmore Theatre) I always introduced Bob and his wife to the groups.

He was a really easy going pleasant guy, who will be sorely missed by Preservation Wayne, DYES, and especially his family.

Sadly he died about a week before this years August theatre tour.

(Message edited by Gistok on October 03, 2008)

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 7386
Posted on Friday, October 03, 2008 - 11:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We spotted it from the Detroit River recently. You can see the bench and monumental rock clearly from the water.

We will always remember Itsjeff. He was a wonderful guy. Thanks you Lowell for using our money so wisely.

jjaba, Westsider.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2124
Posted on Friday, January 02, 2009 - 7:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We stopped by while visiting Belle Isle on Tuesday for our annual visit to see the Christmas Poinsettia display in the Conservatory.

It was tranquil and very meditative as we watched the ice speeding on by and listened as it crunched against the shore.

Jeff_Bench_1231

Det313grrl
Username: Det313grrl

Post Number: 353
Posted on Friday, January 02, 2009 - 8:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice reminder, Kathleen.

Alfie1a
Username: Alfie1a

Post Number: 132
Posted on Friday, January 02, 2009 - 8:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lowell, wow that is a very cool memorial.

I started reading this forum after ItsJeff had passed and have seen many references to him in these threads. He was highly regarded by most, if not all, on this board.

One day, I was just browsing some old posts and read something that literally cracked me up. I thought, who made this crazy funny remark. I looked at the name. ItsJeff.

I'm sorry you folks lost such a good friend.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 8932
Posted on Sunday, January 04, 2009 - 7:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He pops up at the most interesting times, too.

As usual, wonderful...if now bitter with the sweet...of ItsJeff to be such a lingering spice for what we call life.

Made a delivery to the court the other day...walking up to the door I thought of Its and how many times he'd do that just for work.

Asked the guard and my customer if they knew him...and we had a marvelous conversation comparing our perceptions of our dear friend.

Not a one who knew him got away un-unscathed...heh. He was the anti-scathe.

Sumas
Username: Sumas

Post Number: 545
Posted on Wednesday, January 07, 2009 - 9:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Never knew, It's Jeff, but with a tag like that he must have worth knowing. The memorial stone is touching. Next time we go to Belle Isle, we will stop and say a prayer.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.