Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » Landscape Architect « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Rrl
Username: Rrl

Post Number: 1021
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 8:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm in need of a good landscape architect to draw up a new planting plan for the yard of my place.

The house is in the cabbage patch of GPP, narrow city lot, approx. 25-ft wide I believe. I'm looking for an extremely low maintenance design, that respects and utilizes native plantings and allows for interesting coloring year round, w/ minimal to no mowing.

I've considered utilizing one of the many landscaping companies around the east side for the design, however I'd like to find a creative individual that can use their skills to plan a rather unique garden. Some previous experience is a plus, but I'm not opposed to hiring a younger and somewhat limited experienced LA that may be just getting started in the business.

Thanks for recommendations and thoughts.

[Not sure if this thread belongs in Connect or Classified, apologies if it should've gone there >>>]

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 1925
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 9:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't have a contact for you, my guy died a dozen yrs ago, but give Michigan State a call. They have the best Landscape/turfgrass school around these parts. Their grad students look for projects to fill up their portfolios. So, I'd head to MSU, have a sit down and get a young person to be creative.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 14219
Posted on Friday, September 26, 2008 - 8:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One of my neighbors does this, I will ask her about it when I see her...should be later today.

Connections if you want to meet someone, classifieds if you want to sell them.

Sumas
Username: Sumas

Post Number: 298
Posted on Wednesday, October 01, 2008 - 7:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rrl, I do landscape design and garden care and am very familiar with the cabbage Patch. My company is called Scapes. My email is sueview2@sbcglobal.net I also do sub contract work for another master gardener. Her name is Mary. 313 516-3568. She also lives in the Park. Her company is called Bloomin Easy Gardens. We both have area references and pictures of our work. We collaborate often, are both reasonably priced and we both know our stuff.

You did't say if it was front or back yard or both. Some good suggestions for native plants that are low maintenance include Purple Cone flower, Blackeyed Susans, Russian Sage, Lavender, Siberian Iris, perennial grasses, stello D'Oro Daylilys and most Sedums. Great low maintenance shrubs for front or back include flowering shrubs like Spirea, Miss Kim Lilac or Mountain Laurel. Great evergreen shrubs to use are Mops heads (false Cypress) and my current favorite Hinoke Cypress. Both are dwarf and need no trimming. Dwarf trees are many. One over looked, multi- stem tree/shrub is Witch Hazel it blooms in February/March.

Good luck with your landscape. Hope to hear from you. One personal suggestion, if you go with ground cover stay away from Pachysandra, it is so GP and dated. sue

Classicjeff
Username: Classicjeff

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, October 13, 2008 - 7:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Please check out my web-site classicdetroit.net I hold a degree in Landscape Architecture. I think the web-site will be our best description. We pride ourselves in creative, thoughtful landscape solutions. A couple press links on the web-site will give you some more insight. Let me know, you can e-mail me directly from the site. Thanks

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.