Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » Least expensive home internet providers? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 5274
Posted on Monday, September 29, 2008 - 2:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm looking for a less expensive ISP for at home. Right now I'm with TDS Metrocom on a bundled dsl internet & landline phone package. While the service is great the bill runs $65-$70/month and I'm sure I can find cheaper. I almost never use long distance on the landline though there are a few inter-lata calls (e.g. West Bloomfield, Detroit, Ann Arbor triangle).

Any recommendations?

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 4704
Posted on Monday, September 29, 2008 - 2:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you don't mind internet service only, I have Netzero DSL and it is $19.95 a month.

Dianeinaustin
Username: Dianeinaustin

Post Number: 116
Posted on Monday, September 29, 2008 - 4:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pam,

What is the speed like with NZ?

Pam

Post Number: 4706
Posted on Monday, September 29, 2008 - 6:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

What is the speed like with NZ?

Good.

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 1008
Posted on Monday, September 29, 2008 - 9:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just signed on with comcast for a six month special-$34 bucks per 6 months includes basic cable and internet. Thanks for the Netzero info Pam ol buddy.

Django
Username: Django

Post Number: 2057
Posted on Monday, September 29, 2008 - 10:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Terryh, your bill is going up to about $100 in 6 months though right? Unless of course you can get out of the contract in 6 months.

Im with ATT, I pay about $20 a month. Thats for Internet only, they have 3 speeds of which I subscribe to the mid level. Fast as I need, have no complaints.

When I called ATT to set up the wiring, the techie apparently came, looked at my house and left thinking no one lived here. I didnt get someone out here for another 4 days after calling them complaining continuously. I wrote the BBB and ATT asked me what I wanted so I would dismiss my complaint. I said 2 free months of service. I got that and $200 credit. They didnt charge me for the setup. I havnt paid a bill yet and its been been about 5 months. They just keep sending me a bill that says no payment needed and $20 taken off the $200 credit every month. Also if you live under a certain yearly income you can get an additional cut with a simple form they will send you.

I guess what Im saying is if you have a problem with ANY company, write the BBB, this isnt the first time they've hooked me up. It seems they are many businesses worst nightmare.

Back to the real thread, I do like ATT. Comcast will preform oral for 6 months for only $29.99. Just read the fine print.

Sorry to be crude.

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 2376
Posted on Monday, September 29, 2008 - 11:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

f all dat, sign up wiff comcastt internet only and get tv fo free. It just comes along.

Django

Post Number: 2060
Posted on Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 12:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Your still going to wind up paying $50 a month for just internet as I understand. I understand about the free hookup as long as your paying comcast. If you want anything more than just basic cable your gonna have to shell out the $100 a month for both. I believe ATT has cable service now. I must sound like a spokesman for ATT. I just cant stand comcast is all.

Maof2
Username: Maof2

Post Number: 775
Posted on Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 7:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree with Django. I was with Comcast for a long time and every time I opened by bill, the rates were going up. Finally got AT&T in my neighborhood at the beginning of the year. Internet service is $25. and cable t.v. is $59.00, less $10. because I have both services. Haven't gone with phone service yet because I just haven't gotten around to it.

Anyway, internet service is good and cable comes with that DVR...very cool. The installation was free along with up to 3 boxes (not big ones). You can record up to four programs at once while watching something else and is very user friendly. Now the few times I had to call them, and your not calling India, they remedied the problem (which was my fault) right away.

Check out the AT&T U-verse website. That should give you plenty of information.

AT&T gets my vote (no, I do not work for them)

Maof2

Post Number: 776
Posted on Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 7:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

oh, you get tons of channels too!

Pam

Post Number: 4708
Posted on Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 10:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Thanks for the Netzero info Pam ol buddy.

You're welcome Terry, ol non-buddy.

Lilpup

Post Number: 5295
Posted on Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 8:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My dad has AT&T but he gets a senior citizen price, which is cool. He also gets an old folks discount on his cable service.

I'm thinking of dumping the little bit of cable I have. Maybe I should just get rid of my landline phone, too, and go totally cellular. I wonder if I can do that and still have dsl internet.

Pam

Post Number: 4713
Posted on Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 8:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Maybe I should just get rid of my landline phone, too, and go totally cellular. I wonder if I can do that and still have dsl internet.

No, DSL uses a landline.

Maof2

Post Number: 803
Posted on Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 9:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lil - yes you can. a friend of ours hasn't had a landline phone in 2 years and does have dsl.his internet and cable tv is with WOW.

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 1013
Posted on Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 10:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Django you are wonderful. Sounds like a winner. ILL TAKE IT!
lol @ Pam.

Mike
Username: Mike

Post Number: 1502
Posted on Wednesday, October 01, 2008 - 12:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i hate comcast as well but it seems like i just keep going back to them because they are the only game in town. they are expensive, but their internet is the only one that has given me the fewest problems.

i just got a dsl line hooked up for my mom and i cannot get the wireless wifi thing to work. i may have to go back and resign her up with comcast (cringe)... i myself hooked up with comcast for one of those six month promotion things, after that, i may do something else.

Django

Post Number: 2071
Posted on Wednesday, October 01, 2008 - 3:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mike, I know firsthand how much of a pain it is to deal with calling the techies to get it all straightened out but it can be worth it. I always write down everyones name or ID # that I talk to when talking to ANYONE regarding any kind of service. Im polite but but tell them I want the issue resolved ASAP otherwise Ill be contacting the BBB.
After I finally did get my ATT connection hooked up Ive had no problems.

Im not sure why you would be having probs with the wireless connection, I just recommend talking to tech. support and deal with the muzak they make you listen to while waiting for directions.

I still say

FUCK A COMCAST.

Pam

Post Number: 4715
Posted on Wednesday, October 01, 2008 - 7:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

lil - yes you can. a friend of ours hasn't had a landline phone in 2 years and does have dsl.his internet and cable tv is with WOW.

That is still using a cable. If Lil wants to go "totally cellular" that's different. You need cellular modems or a wireless access card for a laptop or some such.

Lilpup

Post Number: 5300
Posted on Wednesday, October 01, 2008 - 6:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No way I'd go totally cellular for internet. That's way too expensive. What I was wondering was if I had to maintain a landline phone account in order to get dsl service across the line or if I could just have the dsl alone.

Right now I'm at around $100/month for landline phone + cell phone + dsl. Dropping the landline phone and getting a cheaper dsl could get me down to $50-$60/month.

Mike
Username: Mike

Post Number: 1505
Posted on Wednesday, October 01, 2008 - 8:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

django, the apple wireless router that i have is having trouble with the dsl modem that Cavilear gave me. When I finally get the connection working. My laptop (and others) see the connection but cannot actually get connected. the teches dont help, I am not the most computer savy, but I can usually figure this stuff out on me own. and i usually find myself knowing more than the teches advice of restarting everything.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.