Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » Paging JAMS « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Eriedearie
Username: Eriedearie

Post Number: 3764
Posted on Monday, October 20, 2008 - 7:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I really got into husking those black walnuts today. You know what I discovered? If you use a hammer instead of a knife to cut the husks - it goes much quicker. I found that if I hit the husk on the blossom end about 3 or 4 times, you can just peel the husk away with no problem. I had a routine going too - reach for the walnut, find the blossom end, hit 3-4 times, peel off husk, throw nut into container, throw husk in dump container. When I had finished husking what was in the bucket, I'd go get another bucket full and pitch the husks into the wheelbarrow. My arm got a remarkable workout today! It was fun, and the weather cooperated.

I've got a few more to do and I'm hoping to finish them up tomorrow.

Thanks again for all the tips. :-)

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 9495
Posted on Monday, October 20, 2008 - 9:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Eriedearie, for that tip. I've a bunch more to process, but found every excuse not to get started today, so I'll give your technique a try in the next couple of days.

After a week of curing those shells are a beautiful dark brown to black, I'm really looking forward to cracking that first shell to test for readiness, hearing that snap of a ready to use kernel, and tasting that Black Walnut flavor again.

Mom's already been strongly hinting, she'd like some for her Hungarian Walnut Torte which was part of my motive, as it is one of the very few cakes I eat. I'm not really a sweet eater, but those cookies of yours sound delicious, hope you post that recipe on the food thread.

I find it somewhat funny my neighbors, who own the property the trees are on, think the nuts are just an irritant, not realizing the treasure trove they have, (Priced Black Walnuts in the grocery store lately?) while you and I for a few days work will share and enjoy fabulous flavour for free.

Alan55
Username: Alan55

Post Number: 2304
Posted on Monday, October 20, 2008 - 9:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eriedearie, make sure you do not put those black walnut husks in any vegetable garden area, or compost pile. Black walnuts put out a natural herbicide called jugalone (sp?) that just destroy potatoes, vine crops, and especially tomatoes. I learned this lesson years ago the hard way.

Johnnny5
Username: Johnnny5

Post Number: 839
Posted on Monday, October 20, 2008 - 10:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Even faster than a hammer is running them over with your car tires. Works like a charm and no stained hands and fingers!

Eriedearie

Post Number: 3770
Posted on Wednesday, October 22, 2008 - 6:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jams - did you get started? Try out my method? I'm almost finished hulling all of the nuts. I've done about a bushel, and they've been washed and are drying already. Hope to get started on the 2nd bunch - I probably have almost 1/2 a bushel to go. However, I have asked a friend or two if they would like to take them off my hands. No answers yet!

Alan55 - I've dumped the husks in an area where only weeds will grow - I wanna see if jugalone will kill them! LOL

Johnnny5 - thanks for that tip!

Does anyone know if you "plant" a black walnut, will a tree grow? If so, would you have to plant the whole thing, husk and all - or put the unopened shell and nut in the ground?

Eriedearie just wondering...

Jams

Post Number: 9519
Posted on Wednesday, October 22, 2008 - 7:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great question!

I came up with this site.

http://www.extension.umn.edu/d istribution/naturalresources/D D0505.html

We'll have to share this with Cub for the orchard.

Maof2
Username: Maof2

Post Number: 952
Posted on Wednesday, October 22, 2008 - 8:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

uh, don't mean to be nosey but what the heck are you gonna do with all those black walnuts? just curious:-)

Jams

Post Number: 9524
Posted on Wednesday, October 22, 2008 - 8:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mom is going to bake an Hungarian Walnut Torte at Christmas and hopefully Eriedearie will share her recipe.

Otherwise I'll search out recipes on the internet or just eat the kernels, because they taste good.

Maof2
Username: Maof2

Post Number: 954
Posted on Wednesday, October 22, 2008 - 9:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

sounds delish!

Eriedearie

Post Number: 3772
Posted on Wednesday, October 22, 2008 - 9:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jams - thanks for that interesting link. I sure wish I would have known this stuff when I was about 30 years old like Cub! If he follows those instructions he'll still be around to enjoy plenty years of harvesting. It's too late for me to get started on a stand of my own trees that I could see harvested. I'll have to be satisfied with what my friend lets me have!

Once I go through my recipe folder, I will post the one I have for Black Walnut Snowball Cookies. I am really looking forward to getting those nuts cured and ready for holiday baking. Sometimes when I make Pizzelle cookies I will grind up regular walnuts and add them to the batter. This year I'm going to use the black walnuts. I bet they will make incredible tasting Pizzelles! :-)

Eriedearie

Post Number: 3784
Posted on Friday, October 24, 2008 - 11:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jams - how are things coming along with your task of husking? Mine are ALL finished and the drying process has begun! I've set my 'cured for sure' date as December 5th.

So, let me get this clear - the ones I will NOT use right away, can be frozen in the shell?

Jams

Post Number: 9571
Posted on Sunday, November 02, 2008 - 8:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, from what I found on the internet sites I checked.

I made Black Walnut/Banana waffles this morning for breakfast, with poached eggs on Old Delray bakery toast., very yummy.

Eriedearie

Post Number: 3854
Posted on Sunday, November 02, 2008 - 10:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That breakfast sounds delightful! Bet the aroma of the warmed up black walnuts have lingered long enough for you to crave your next fix!

Thanks for the info - all the sites I checked didn't say anything about freezing directly in the shell.

Eriedearie

Post Number: 3181
Posted on Saturday, December 13, 2008 - 1:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Okay - been digging through my recipe folder, cause it's time to start baking for Christmas. Here's my recipe Jams!

Black Walnut Snowballs

1 cup butter softened
1/2 cup powdered sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup finely chopped black walnuts

powdered sugar - for coating

Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Sift together the flour and salt.
Cream butter with 1/2 cup powdered sugar and the vanilla.
Mix in the flour and nuts.

Take about 1 tablespoon of dough and roll into balls. Place on an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake for 15 minutes. Do not allow cookies to get too brown. It is better to under bake them than to over bake. Remove from oven and while still hot, roll in powdered sugar. When cool, roll in powdered sugar again.

Store flat - do not stack on top of each other.

Enjoy - I usually get about 4 dozen from this recipe.

You can use regular walnuts or pecans - but now that I have black walnuts I'll be using them.

Jams - would your mom please share her Hungarian tort recipe. If it's not really, really complicated I would like to try making it for my dad. :-)

I'll post the recipe over on Non-Detroit, Food again thread too. Just want to make sure Jams sees this.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.