Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » Volunteers Needed! Rouge Park Mountain Bike/HikingTrail, 10AM, Sunday, November 2, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jfried
Username: Jfried

Post Number: 1203
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 12:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey! We're going to spend a few hours working on the Rouge Park Mountain Bike/Hiking Trail starting at 10 AM, this Sunday, Nov. 2, 2008.

We will basically be trimming the overgrown brush along the trail, raking out leaves/debris, picking up trash, and clearing any fallen trees. We will also work on blazing trail on the east side of the river (the current trail extends from Tireman, to Joy on the west side) which will double the trail length to approximately 4 miles.

Please join us if you would like to help out! We will be meeting at the north east corner of Outer Drive & Tireman.

If you've never been along the river in Rouge Park you will be blown away. The elevation changes, the size of the trees, and just the beauty of this natural section of the park is amazing.

We've been working on this trail for a few years. It is a great opportunity for recreation in the city, and also to introduce city kids to the nature in their back yard, along with getting them interested in sports such at trail running, biking, hiking, etc., which they otherwise may never be exposed to.

Again, please join us!

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 994
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 1:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Aw, man, working that morning till 11. :-(
Sounds right up my alley, though. Make sure to post here next time you do something like this.

Crystal
Username: Crystal

Post Number: 323
Posted on Thursday, October 30, 2008 - 10:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jfried, please keep us informed about future work dates!

We are not able to help this time, but our family are long time MMBA members and avid cyclists.

Jfried
Username: Jfried

Post Number: 1204
Posted on Friday, October 31, 2008 - 2:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bear - we'll probably be around to 2, or 3. if you get the chance, please stop by.

Crystal - That's great!

This whole work day was last minute, but I'll definitely give more notice next time.

Bearinabox

Post Number: 1004
Posted on Friday, October 31, 2008 - 7:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll see how it goes. Do I need to bring gloves or tools or anything, or do you have all that?

Bearinabox

Post Number: 1008
Posted on Sunday, November 02, 2008 - 3:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As stupid as this is going to sound, I could not for the life of me find you guys. I saw a sign that volunteers were working at the entrance to a trail on the west side of the river and the south side of Tireman, so I walked down there and ended up in what looked like a paintball arena. I walked back up to Tireman and found another trail leading up to Joy along the west side of the river, so I walked that until I got to a place where it was flooded by some sort of water main break. Then I bushwhacked out to Outer Drive and took the stairs down to Joy, and then looped around to Spinoza and back to Tireman, where you guys still weren't.
Oh, well. At least I got some fresh air and exercise. :-)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.