Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » Paging Detroitteacher « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Chuckjav
Username: Chuckjav

Post Number: 1052
Posted on Monday, November 03, 2008 - 3:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello!

Pardon the short notice; was wondering if you could steer me in the direction of an Administrator at Cooley. I am hoping to visit your school on Friday morning; looking for local clearance - I already possess the Board's blessings

Detroitteacher
Username: Detroitteacher

Post Number: 1390
Posted on Monday, November 03, 2008 - 7:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chuck: I'd talk to either Dr. Edison or Tom Moss (both are APs). I wouldn't bother with anyone else. You can call 313-866-9400 and ask for either of them. Both are more than kind and willing to help folks out.

If I may ask, what is the nature of the visit? If it's just to tour around, please stop by my room (117) and say hi! I am there 1st, 3rd and 4th hours (I'm in other spots during the day, but that is my morning spot). I'd be happy to show you around between 9am-10:20am (my prep).

Chuckjav

Post Number: 1054
Posted on Monday, November 03, 2008 - 9:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitteacher...Big & Many Thanks - I will call the Cooley Office Tuesday morning.

My son and I will be taking some interior photographs at Duffield Elementary on Friday afternoon; we are hoping to do likewise at Cooley on Friday morning. This is all part of a retrospective I am putting together on 1930s-40s Detroit; a comparison of sub-communities (Black Bottom and former Village of Strathmoor).

In that respect, Duffield (constructed in 1922) is amazing; it hasn't changed at all - inside & out. Cooley is another well-preserved example of the period architecture I am looking for.

PS Thanks also for the invitation to stop by during your planning period; I sincerely hope to do so. I will report shortly regarding your AP's decision.

Chuckjav

Post Number: 1055
Posted on Tuesday, November 04, 2008 - 11:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitteacher...I spoke with Dr. Edison this morning; he could not grant permission - referred me to Principal Woodhouse (he's not in the building today)...I will call again tomorrow.

Detroitteacher
Username: Detroitteacher

Post Number: 1391
Posted on Tuesday, November 04, 2008 - 12:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good luck with that. If you have anything from the Board granting you access, I'd mention it (IF you can get Woodhouse on the phone). I'd mention that you are interested in the architecture of the building and nothing more. They haven't been too keen on having outsiders in the building during school hours lately.

Chuckjav

Post Number: 1058
Posted on Tuesday, November 04, 2008 - 1:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitteacher...thanks for the tip.
Totally understandable that administrators might be hesitant to grant outsider-access; imagine my serum level of incredulity when DPS said "yes" to visiting Duffield.

I shall remain optimistic regarding Good Old Cooley High.

Chuckjav

Post Number: 1073
Posted on Wednesday, November 05, 2008 - 10:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitteacher...from chuckjav newsdesk - in Kettering, Ohio - here is the latest update:

Tough getting through to TW on the phone; left a detailed message/request with CHS office secretary - similar information emailed to TW.

In the meantime, the Board of Education has granted permission for an interior visit to Cooley on Friday morning; I have emailed all of this late-breaking information directly to TW

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.