Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » Anybody know of any good Lasagna recipes « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Umbound
Username: Umbound

Post Number: 247
Posted on Thursday, November 06, 2008 - 5:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hope some one here can tell me a good recipe for lasagna, my mom want to know what recipes there are out there that can go with Sausage from another country, or one with turkey.
Thanks

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 9610
Posted on Thursday, November 06, 2008 - 5:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Direct all recipe questions to:
https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/5843/112802.html?1225988 053

Just reading through that thread makes you hungry.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 3851
Posted on Thursday, November 06, 2008 - 5:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stouffers, in the frozen food section...... :-)

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 2678
Posted on Thursday, November 06, 2008 - 6:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lasagna can use any kind of meat, or no meat at all. My fave is spinach lasagna. A little of this and a little of that. Two layers of a little bit of sauce, lasagna noodles, tomato sauce with or without meat, spinach if that's what you like, ricotta mixed with one beaten egg and some chopped parsley and basil, mozarella and more sauce. Bake at 325 for an hour to an hour and a half depending how thick it is, and let it set for at least ten minutes before you cut into it. Yum.

Denbytar64
Username: Denbytar64

Post Number: 43
Posted on Thursday, November 06, 2008 - 6:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Only my Mothers...and she will not give up the recipe...it is in the will.

Alley
Username: Alley

Post Number: 759
Posted on Thursday, November 06, 2008 - 7:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Boil noodles according to box, I cut that time a little short since I will be baking them too.

I use jarred sauce, and add extra garlic, italian spice, crushed pepper, and parmesan cheese. Simmer sauce while the noodles boil

I sautee chopped onions and mushrooms, then add ground beef and ground italian sausage, and season with salt, pepper, and italian seasonings as it browns.

while meat is browning...

Cheese mixture: mix 2 cups ricotta, 1-1.5 cup s shredded mozzarella, and 3/4 cup parmesan with one egg and one egg yolk, chopped garlic, and black pepper and basil. Set the mixture aside

add meat to sauce and let it cool a bit

ASSEMBLY:

a little sauce in the bottom of the pan
noodles
cheese mixture
sprinkle shredded mozzarella
meat sauce
sprinkle parmesan cheese
REPEAT
top with another layer of mozzarella and a sprinkle of parmesan cheese

cover with foil and bake at 350 for 35 minutes, then take foil off and bake another 25

Lferg
Username: Lferg

Post Number: 33
Posted on Thursday, November 06, 2008 - 7:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, Alley's recipe sounds yummy, I'll have to try that!

Mine is close but a little different. Brown meat, toss in chopped onions and red peppers, add a little ground pepper corn, oregano, basil, and garlic powder. Toss in a medium size jar of Prego with meat, and half a jar of Classico Tomato and Basil. Let simmer... cook noodles and assemble the same as Alley. FYI - The longer the sauce simmers the better it gets. Oh, and I also sprinkle the sauce with a little sugar.

(Message edited by Lferg on November 06, 2008)

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 1625
Posted on Thursday, November 06, 2008 - 7:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Umbound, etc.

Seriously, go to the above mentioned thread and start posting there. You'll get great results. (not from me, though. I, too, am a Stouffer's girl!) Happy eating :-)

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 5613
Posted on Thursday, November 06, 2008 - 7:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I really wish people would take the extra 15 minutes and make their own tomato sauce. So much better, so much healthier.

*sigh* my personal peeve.

Blueidone
Username: Blueidone

Post Number: 388
Posted on Thursday, November 06, 2008 - 8:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I make my own sauce...about 10 quarts at a time. I give some away, freeze some. I use the sauce for spaghetti, lasagne and mostaccioli. The neighbors all come by when it's cooking to beg for a container when it's done! I can't give an exact recipe though because I don't measure much.

For the lasagne, I use my sauce, mozzarella and parmesan cheeses and noodles.

If anyone's interested in my sauce recipe e-mail me at corneroffice2 at aol dot com.

Maof2
Username: Maof2

Post Number: 1006
Posted on Thursday, November 06, 2008 - 8:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

whatever you do, buy the good ricotta at nino's, or manzella's or randazzo's. do not, i repeat, do not buy the crap they sell at the grocery store in the plastic tub.

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 4551
Posted on Sunday, November 09, 2008 - 3:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had posted this over on the Food thread, so here it is again

Baked Lasagna
1/2 lb. Italian sausage, remove from casings
1/2 lb. ground beef
(1 clove garlic, minced
1 tsp. dried oregano
1/2 tsp. salt
½ C Dry red wine
2 (16 oz.) jars spaghetti sauce
1 (6 oz.) can tomato paste)
or your own recipe for sauce

1 (16 oz.) pkg. Prince lasagna
2 eggs, slightly beaten
1/2 c. Prince grated Parmesan cheese
2 c. cottage cheese
2 tbsp. parsley flakes
Dash Black Pepper
1 lb. Mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced
½ lb Swiss cheese, thinly sliced.

Brown meat; drain. Add garlic, oregano, salt. Simmer 3-5 minutes. Stir in spaghetti sauce and paste; cook, stirring for 10-15 minutes. Boil lasagna in salted water; stir with wooden spoon.
Combine egg, cottage, Mozzarella, Parmesan cheeses, parsley and pepper. Blend well. In greased 13 1/2 x 9 x 2 pan Layer lasagna, then cheese, then spaghetti sauce. Keep layering til gone. . In the middle of layering, place ½ of Swiss cheese, and then the rest on top.
Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes until bubbly
Let stand 10 minutes before serving

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 5632
Posted on Sunday, November 09, 2008 - 6:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jcole, sounds like an awesome recipe!

you forgot 1/2 c of dry red wine for the cook!

Alley

Post Number: 769
Posted on Sunday, November 09, 2008 - 7:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

try 1/2 bottle...at least :-)

Jcole

Post Number: 4556
Posted on Sunday, November 09, 2008 - 9:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OldRed, thanks. You can add up to one full bottle (minus the 1/2 cup) for the cook, just mix in AFTER putting the lasagna in the oven.

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 2807
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2008 - 12:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i have al capones spaghetti sauce recipe that he liked in one of his clubs, (noone else has it except me) haha.

Eriedearie
Username: Eriedearie

Post Number: 3929
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2008 - 12:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok Lefty2 - there's a story behind your post...let's have it! Tell us all about how you know Al Capones taste in spaghetti sauce...

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 1656
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2008 - 10:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Come on Lefty, spill it! *Yeah, see.... here's what's gonna happen. You fork over the recipe and we won't have to hurt anyone.....

*use mobster-type voice :-)

Eriedearie

Post Number: 3935
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2008 - 10:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, come on Lefty. 'Fess up real fast now or things could get mighty ugly.

BTW, how come you call yourself Lefty??

Zarks, I think we've got another story that needs to be told!

Yeah, all the above in the mobster-type voice that Zarks recommends! Good thinkin' Zarks. :-)

Bobby08
Username: Bobby08

Post Number: 95
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2008 - 10:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What would you al say the best cheeses are to use,
I usually would use mozzarella cheese and ricotta, I need a change it up a bit

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 1657
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2008 - 11:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Say Erie, you sure are swell!

Fellas, what's a gal gotta do to get the canary to sing?

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 1661
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2008 - 11:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wait a minute.

Canary refers to women singers in the '40's, right? Not sure if Lefty is male or female. If you are a male - sorry.

Maof2

Post Number: 1023
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2008 - 1:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bobby08 - I only use "fresh" ricotta, not the stuff they sell at the grocery store in plastic tubs as I mentioned above - yuck! I know there are recipes that use cottage cheese but coming from a true "dego", ricotta is the only way to go.

Bobby08

Post Number: 97
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2008 - 2:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What about the other cheese, and how do you cook with Fresh mozzarella?

Jcole

Post Number: 4576
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2008 - 2:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In my recipe above, I add a couple layers of swiss, and I put Parmesean in the ricotta mixture. If you want more tang, add Romano instead of the Parmesean.
The swiss gives a nice nuttiness. You could try Gruyere instead.

Maof2

Post Number: 1024
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2008 - 3:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jcole - I too agree about the romano. It does have more of a "bite" to it. Ya know, I really dont' use much mozarella when I make lasanga. I only put a little on each layer, if at all. I just think homemade sauce really makes it. My hubby is the sauce maker in the house. My family's from the south of Italy, his from the north. There is a difference is sauces. When we first got married, he asked his mother to come over and show me how to make it. I was so pissed that when his mother and I were standing over stove, I looked at him and said "here, you do it" and that was the end of that!

Jcole

Post Number: 4581
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2008 - 7:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not Italian, but I might as well be. I was half-raised by Gazzarato's, Lanuzza's and Olcese's. My God-mother was Sicilian, and my two sisters in-laws are both Northern Italian.
I think the northern Italians use more cinnamon and sweet spices and the Sicilians more basil and oregano.
I lean more toward Sicilian style myself

Maof2

Post Number: 1032
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2008 - 8:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

and i always try and sneak a little sugar in.

Jcole

Post Number: 4584
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2008 - 8:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I put in a Tbsp of sugar when I'm making my own sauce. It cuts the acid. In my recipe for lasagna above, it calls for jarred sauce, doctored up, but I usually make my own, with roma tomatoes, tomato paste, wine, romano cheese, sausage, ground beef, bay leaf, basil, oregano, parsley, sugar, garlic, salt and pepper. If I'm making it just for spaghetti, I make a batch of meatballs, with beef, garlic, egg, bread crumbs, romano cheese and parsley, but I don't brown them. They go in the sauce raw, and they soak up the sauce beautifully. They make great meatball subs the next day.

Maof2

Post Number: 1035
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 2:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jcole - love meatball sandwiches!! have you tried mixing half beef and half veal for your meatballs? you'll love 'em.

Jcole

Post Number: 4596
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 2:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll have to try that. I've done it with pork and beef, but not veal.
Have you ever been to Vince and Joe's Market? There's one at 25 and Van Dyke and one in Clinton Twp.
They have a Marinara sauce that is the closest I've ever had to my God-mother's sauce. It's made with beef and pork cubed, not ground. It is delish.
Mary used to make her 'good' sauce by browning a beef roast with a pork roast and then building a sauce around it.

Maof2

Post Number: 1036
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 5:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ya know, once in a blue moon, I'll pick up a good jared sauce when I make polenta. Usually at Manzella's. It's a little closer to home than Vince and Joe's. Oh and the "good" sauce, my good friend's mom would make it that way. I never have....maybe something new to try.

Jcole

Post Number: 4597
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 6:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mary made that sauce at Christmas, and whenever she was making home-made ravioli. I remember her big wooden table completely covered in a layer of pasta dough, and her dolloping it with a mixture of ricotta, eggs, spinach and parsley, and then putting another sheet of dough on top, and rolling it with a special rolling pin with squares cut in it. She'd boil those up, and after the sauce was done, shred or cube the beef and pork roasts into it.
Oh, I miss her.

Jcole

Post Number: 4598
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 6:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, and the Vince and Joe's sauce isn't jarred. It's in their homemade section. They sell it in those quart plastic containers like they put fresh mozzarella or ricotta in.

Maof2

Post Number: 1038
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 6:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

oh ok, that's good to know.

Grumpyoldlady
Username: Grumpyoldlady

Post Number: 268
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 9:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Add some Worcestershire sauce to your meat sauce for spaghetti or lasagna...really improves the taste...everyone i know who has tried this agrees. If using jar sauce, i'd say about 1 tablespoon to start to see how you like it.

Bobby08

Post Number: 100
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2008 - 11:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Someone please help me out with the fresh mozerella, how is it used? I mean the type thats rolled up in a liquid solution

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 2838
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2008 - 11:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Food again. Let's not lose it this time! :-)

Danindc
Username: Danindc

Post Number: 5205
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2008 - 12:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^You can slice it, and lay the slices in the lasagne. Just don't use smoked mozzarella in a lasagne. I made that mistake last night--the flavors in the sauce get overpowered by the smokiness of the cheese.

For real nuttiness, skip the romano cheese entirely, and go with Parmagiano Reggiano. It's pricey, but far more flavorful than the mystery crap-in-a-can.

Jcole

Post Number: 4613
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2008 - 12:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As far as I've ever used it, the fresh Mozzerella in liquid is good as an appetizer cheese or sliced with tomatoes and drizzled with some olive oil and balsamic vinegar on brushetta.
I've never heated it so I don't know if it melts well.

Awfavre
Username: Awfavre

Post Number: 298
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2008 - 3:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I amalgamated Jcole & Alley’s recipes, & ORF’s admonishment [hang’s head in shame] forced me to seek a fresh tomato sauce recipe online. I found such a creature http://zestycook.com/whos-up-f or-spaghetti/ & made one hell of a mess, but the results were worth it. Unfortunately, my recipe is at home, so I can’t post it until tomorrow, but here are a few comments in the meantime.

I grated fresh Asiago cheese instead of Parmesan. I used a hard, Swiss cheese & shredded it in a food processor. I used the fresh Mozzarella in the liquid, slicing it as much as possible (it was so young, it mostly fell apart). It seemed to melt just fine. The red wine made such a huge difference in flavor, it was simply stunning. The fresh tomato sauce recipe called for 5 to 8 cloves of garlic; I used 8, & it definitely wasn’t enough. I used Ricotta instead of cottage cheese.

Because I amalgamated everything, I think I need to up the spices & add more wine, since most of my spices & the ½ cup of wine went into making the base tomato sauce. Hmm … guess I’ll have to keep practicing!

Oh, any tips for getting everything into a single pan? Mine was full, & I was worried about boil-overs.

As for the fresh mozzarella (in the liquid), we do something similar to Jcole: we put it on sliced tomatoes, drizzle with balsamic vinaigrette & olive oil, then top with fresh basil leaves – no brushetta. It’s a super flavorful, fresh dish great any time of the year.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 7499
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 12:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have to agree with Ray1936... Stouffer's... but with several extra ounces of mozzarella cheese spread over the top before baking...

Eriedearie

Post Number: 3973
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 1:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jcole - when you put the meatballs in the sauce raw, how long do you let them cook? Can you stir the sauce while its cooking and they're in there? I've always browned the meatballs in the oven, then dropped them in the sauce and let them simmer on low for a couple of hours. And with them being partially cooked, stirring is not a problem. I'm a confessed stirrer of sauces!

I promised the kids I'd make a spaghetti dinner this Sunday and I'm thinking of doing the meatballs your way this time - just to change things around a bit and to see if they notice any difference. They can usually can tell if I change something around that they're used to - and they call me on it right away. I never really thought my boys actually tasted the food I cooked, they gobbled it up so fast. But turns out their taste buds were working! LOL

Alley

Post Number: 776
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 2:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I always put the pan on a bigger cookie sheet in case of boil-overs

Jcole

Post Number: 4627
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 2:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Erie, I cook them on simmer for about an hour, and yes, stir them. They won't break apart. At least they haven't for me. I make them about 1.5" in diameter.

Eriedearie

Post Number: 3976
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 8:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Okay Jcole, I'm gonna try it for Sunday's dinner.

Oh, and we all love lasagna and I'm a terrible lasagna maker. Mine always falls apart! I might be putting too much sauce in the layers. But I will try the suggestions above sometime.

Jcole

Post Number: 4628
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 8:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For the lasagna, it could be too much sauce or the sauce is too thin. Also, if you're using cottage cheese instead of ricotta, it could be loose and watery

(Message edited by jcole on November 13, 2008)

(Message edited by jcole on November 13, 2008)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.