Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » What are your favorite comedy flicks? » Archive through August 10, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Mackenzie68
Username: Mackenzie68

Post Number: 24
Posted on Thursday, July 10, 2008 - 5:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Young Frankenstein
Spinal Tap

and to watch first-timers faces,
Eat and Run

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 3382
Posted on Thursday, July 10, 2008 - 6:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Come to think of it, the Blues Brothers car chase through that mall in Chicago was really a classic, wasn't it?

Thnk2mch
Username: Thnk2mch

Post Number: 1312
Posted on Thursday, July 10, 2008 - 7:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Elwood = "Baby clothes"

Jake -"This place has got everything"

Erikd
Username: Erikd

Post Number: 1035
Posted on Thursday, July 10, 2008 - 7:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Major League
Harlem Nights
Grumpy Old Men
Spaceballs

Comedy classics!

Django
Username: Django

Post Number: 1260
Posted on Thursday, July 10, 2008 - 9:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jake- " The new Oldsmobiles are in early this year"

Oh man I forgot about that movie, definitely a contender.

Anyone know what the connection was with the guy at the very very end of the Blues Brothers movie who took Jake and Elwoods money to pay the Taxes on the church, and the movie itself? Theres some connection between that guy, I cant remember what it is. To be clear, its the end of the chase, they make their way up to the top of some building to pay the tax on the church and the guy who slowly writes out their reciept is somehow connected to something behind the scenes. This has been driving me nuts for at least two years.

Anyone,, anyone.

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 2381
Posted on Thursday, July 10, 2008 - 9:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Airplane and Naked Gun should be on that list, too.

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 2179
Posted on Thursday, July 10, 2008 - 9:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Was that Frank Oz, you were thinking of Dj?

He used to be with Jim Henson and the Muppets and was a famous director in his own right.

"As an actor, Oz appeared in 1980 as a corrections officer in The Blues Brothers movie"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F rank_Oz

Flanders_field
Username: Flanders_field

Post Number: 661
Posted on Thursday, July 10, 2008 - 9:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was a barn I passed on my way home from northern Michigan back in the late 80s, located somewhere south of Clare, on a two lane Michigan highway where someone painted a huge mural of Elwood and Jake on one side of it.

Wish that I could remember what town was nearby, I think that it was Ionia, but I am not positive. It put a big smile on my face, thinking about that movie and how someone was impressed enough by it to paint that mural in the middle of almost nowhere.

Django

Post Number: 1269
Posted on Friday, July 11, 2008 - 12:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bigb. Im pretty positive it was the guy who took the mony at the very end of the movie. Frank Oz does not ring a bell, seemed he was a much more important part of the films history.

Flanders. Its funny because I just drove South today out of Clare and Ive been going there for my whole life but dont remember that painting. Ill ask my dad though, Ill bet he knows about it as he lives up there.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 2343
Posted on Friday, July 11, 2008 - 8:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the clerk at the Cook County offices was played by Steven Spielberg. Frank Oz was the corrections officer who gave Jake (Belushi) back his worldy possesions as he was being released from Joliet.
I saw the Blues Brothers at Pine Knob in 1980, as a promotional tour for the movie. The entire band, as featured in the move was with them on stage with the exception of the drummer. It was a very memorable concert. John Belushi did cartwheels while making his entrance. The band played the standard "BB" vamp and while Akroyd (Elwood) was getting the briefcase un-handcuffed from his wrist he intoned "It's so good to be back in Detroit, the home of the Chevrolet Impala, the Plymouth Grand Fury, the Cadillac Coupe D'Ville, the Dodge Polara and last, but not least--the Pontiac Bonneville"

Akroyd has always had a love relationship with big 'ol American tanks.

Django

Post Number: 1279
Posted on Friday, July 11, 2008 - 11:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

56, That was very cool. Wish I was old enough to have been there.

Are you SURE that was Steven Spielberg? I know it was someone important, but I didnt think THAT important. Wow.

I need to look that one up.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 3392
Posted on Friday, July 11, 2008 - 11:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From the Internet Movie Database:

" Steven Spielberg ... Cook County Assessor's Office Clerk "

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt00 80455/

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 2188
Posted on Saturday, July 12, 2008 - 12:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Mystery Woman: You contemptible pig! I remained celibate for you. I stood at the back of a cathedral, waiting, in celibacy, for you, with three hundred friends and relatives in attendance. My uncle hired the best Romanian caterers in the state. To obtain the seven limousines for the wedding party, my father used up his last favor with Mad Pete Trullo. So for me, for my mother, my grandmother, my father, my uncle, and for the common good, I must now kill you, and your brother."

Forget the pic.

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 1443
Posted on Wednesday, July 16, 2008 - 5:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hummm...less see now. I thought Fahrenheit 911 was a hoot.

Ddaydave
Username: Ddaydave

Post Number: 546
Posted on Wednesday, August 06, 2008 - 6:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

every which way but loose with Clint Eastwood

Django

Post Number: 1562
Posted on Wednesday, August 06, 2008 - 9:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

56packman nailed it. Ray, thanks for the link and looking it up. I forgot about this little discussion until Dday bumped it up with Clints old movie.

Wow, Steven Spielberg.

What a classic movie.

On a closer to home note, I have to vote for Animal House also. Bluto hopping on that ladder was the best. I actually tried doing it once, its not as hard as it looks.

Also have to put a say in for The Jerk, and Fast Times at Ridgemount High. I hear Sean Penn was in character for the entire movie, on and off set. He essentially became the stoner Spicolli for the entire making of the movie. Probably the easiest method acting anyones ever had to put themselves through.

Grumpyoldlady
Username: Grumpyoldlady

Post Number: 194
Posted on Wednesday, August 06, 2008 - 9:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Son-in-Law is tops in my book.

Cheddar_bob
Username: Cheddar_bob

Post Number: 1754
Posted on Wednesday, August 06, 2008 - 10:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"The Royal Tenenbaums"

Cheddar_bob
Username: Cheddar_bob

Post Number: 1755
Posted on Wednesday, August 06, 2008 - 10:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh and Bulletmagnent, speaking of comedies...Did trolling the internet and DetroitYes for sex pan out for you, or are you still carrying a full tank?

Lodgedodger
Username: Lodgedodger

Post Number: 257
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 5:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The 'burbs--silly, silly, silly!

Frankg
Username: Frankg

Post Number: 481
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 11:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Airplane!

Gibran
Username: Gibran

Post Number: 3519
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 1:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

flanders list w/ any old Mel brooks movies and Marty Feldman:

add the first Austin Powers

flanders sick minds laugh alike...

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 1527
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 3:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know this is sick and twisted but I laugh my ass off at Pulp Fiction. If you take it for how it's intended it hilarious though somewhat gory.

My Cousin Vinny and the 2 Yoots is a classic too.

Gibran
Username: Gibran

Post Number: 3528
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 4:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the irony in Pulp Fiction is out there...

Douglasm
Username: Douglasm

Post Number: 1117
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 7:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gannon...
....you mean like "The Mouse That Roared"? Alas, like the Ealing comedies ("The Titfield Thunderbolt" and "The Man In The White Suit" are two other favs) it hasn't aged well, but Peter Sellers characters (Grand Dutchess Gloriana XII, Prime Minister Count Rupert Mountjoy, Tully Bascomb) are really well done.

Jim
Username: Jim

Post Number: 986
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 9:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dr. Strangelove. There are posters on the base Sterling Hayden is on that state 'Peace is our Profession'. The sexual nature of the character names and how the actors play the part to the names, I think, go right by viewers. Hail Merkin Muffly and there is no fighting in the war room.

Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House and the book it is based never tire on me.

Arsenic and Old Lace I enjoy and North by Northwest is very sly.

Superbad and Dan in Real Life were the two funniest movies I have seen in some time. Much better than Knocked Up.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 6056
Posted on Saturday, August 09, 2008 - 2:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are a lot of good ones up there ^.

I'd like to add Woody Allen's flicks (Wiki). My favorite was one of his earlier movies Take the Money and Run wherein he played a startlingly inept bank robber.

Vetalalumni
Username: Vetalalumni

Post Number: 1080
Posted on Saturday, August 09, 2008 - 2:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jerry Lewis movies were hilarious to me when I was a pre-teen. Those same movies are unfunny now. Other actors I enjoyed include Buddy Hackett and Flip Wilson. Other movies I liked include, "The Incredible Mr. Limpet" and most Mel Brooks movies.

More recently, Martin Lawrence, the Wayans, Chris Rock and Adam Sandler are funny in movies.

Django

Post Number: 1587
Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2008 - 12:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Zitro. I totally agree with you on Pulp Fiction.
It is sort of a black comedy.

"The one that says BADMOTHERFUCKER"

"Did you see a sign out front that said dead n****R storage?"

Wasnt meant as a comedy but it does have its hilarious moments.

Lodgedodger
Username: Lodgedodger

Post Number: 313
Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2008 - 8:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hubby loves Pulp Fiction. It does have its moments.