Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » Vegetarian Question « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

D_mcc
Username: D_mcc

Post Number: 1566
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 12:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was considering going vegetarian and I wanted to see if anyone else here has made the leap, and if so, if they had any advice for someone thinking about going for it.

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 4845
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 1:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've been a veg for about 25 years now. You might try giving up meat in stages. First red meat, then chicken etc.

Also reading up on the nutritional aspects is important. If you also give up eggs and dairy, you will need B-12 from someplace. (Either a supplement or fortified soy milk etc.) I think it is much easier now to go veg than it used to be, since even mainstream grocery stores now stock stuff like Boca Burgers, falafel mix, soy milk etc. There are a lot of vegetarian cook books out there, you might try reading those too.

(Message edited by Pam on November 11, 2008)

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 9090
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 1:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eat lots of portobellos. Grill them up and use them as hamburgers. Yum, good stuff. My wife is a vegetarian and I grill those for her in the summertime. They are probably the most meat-like thing you can get that isn't meat. They are a hell of a lot better than those nasty Smart Dogs.

Det313grrl
Username: Det313grrl

Post Number: 394
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 1:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am a vegetarian and no longer believe in the "protein" myth. You can get the same amount of protein in a handful of almonds as you would a steak.

Here are a few quotes on the subject from notable vegetarians.

"Now, I can look at you in peace; I don't eat you anymore."-Kafka

"Animals are my friends, I don't eat my friends."-George Bernard Shaw

"One day the world will look upon research upon animals as it now looks upon research on human beings."-Leonardo DaVinci

"The love for all living creatures is the most notable attribute of man." -Darwin

"He is a heavy eater of beef. me thinks he doth harm to his wit."-Shakespeare

Plato, Socrates, Newton, Tesla and H.G.Wells were also vegetarians.

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 1017
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 2:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was a vegetarian from birth until I found out how good bacon was. I don't recommend it. :-)

D_mcc

Post Number: 1567
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 2:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was asking because I've been suffering from some moral dilemmas I have been experiencing due to my reading these days...

I think I could drop red meat/chicken/pork...

But I love sushi too much...

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 4846
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 2:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

But I love sushi too much...

Sushi does come in many meatless varieties you know.

D_mcc

Post Number: 1569
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 3:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am aware...

I was reading about lacto-ova vegetarianism

That seems doable for me

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 9097
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 5:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

"One day the world will look upon research upon animals as it now looks upon research on human beings."-Leonardo DaVinci

This is an interesting quote from DaVinci, as he bucked the will of the Church in his time, and smuggled human cadavers into his workshop to dissect and study. This was considered a big no-no by his Popeness.

Trivia tangent

The smuggling of cadavers for research continued in America. They would put them in barrels full of whiskey to preserve them. If you've ever heard the term "rot-gut whiskey", you'll quickly realize the preservative often ended up in saloons once it's original purpose was complete. EWWWWWWWWW.

D_mcc

Post Number: 1573
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 5:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's disgusting

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 2830
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2008 - 8:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

The smuggling of cadavers for research continued in America. They would put them in barrels full of whiskey to preserve them. If you've ever heard the term "rot-gut whiskey", you'll quickly realize the preservative often ended up in saloons once it's original purpose was complete. EWWWWWWWWW.

That explains Jack Daniels and Jim Beam. :-)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.