Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » America's Thanksgiving Day Parade 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 2175
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2008 - 12:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The parade starts at 9:30 AM on Thanksgiving Day. From Mack Avenue in Midtown, the parade will head South down to Campus Martius. Terminating near Hart Plaza.

So, who is going? I should be there, but this one is all up to my family. We're hoping this is a new tradition, as this will be the first year my soon-to-be in-laws have Thanksgiving in Metro Detroit. However, none of us are big fans of the extreme cold. So, if it's overly cold, or there is extreme inclement weather conditions, we'll be watching on television instead.

Still, I thought it'd be fun to get a thread going on this. Where is the DYES viewing area going to be? :-)

Eriedearie
Username: Eriedearie

Post Number: 3965
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2008 - 3:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll be watching the TV from my kitchen as I baste the bird!

Lodgedodger
Username: Lodgedodger

Post Number: 876
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 10:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll be putting the finishing touches on my cheesecakes and pies. One year, I hope to make it...

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 2208
Posted on Saturday, November 15, 2008 - 6:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wonder if Lowell has thought about making DYES shirts.

Crystal
Username: Crystal

Post Number: 344
Posted on Sunday, November 16, 2008 - 11:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Remember how cold it was in 2005? That year, two of our boys were playing in the parade with their high school marching band. One boy was a drum major and the other boy played clarinet. The boy playing clarinet said he played three notes, then the keys stuck! He kept his horn up to look like he was playing.

When we told them we saw their band on TV, they laughed and said that after a few seconds, instruments' keys and valves were sticking and there wasn't much sound issuing except from the drumline!

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 2214
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 4:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^Going in 2005 was the reason we won't commit for 2008. That was horrible! To make matters worse, it was to windy for all of the balloons.

Kimistree
Username: Kimistree

Post Number: 199
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 9:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We go to the parade every year. It is so much fun. There is nothing like lots of people cheering shouting and smiling. Everyone getting along..I just love it.

The 2005 Parade was the absolute all time coldest..I think the windchill factor was 3. We were lucky that year though, my Dad treated us to tickets at Orchestra Hall so we were able to watch from inside.

The 2006 parade was almost balmy, in the high 50s. Last year was a normal temperature in the 40s.

Crystal I remember a band just wholesale turning around and running in 2005. They just said forget it it was way to cold and once the majorettes ditched so did the rest of the band.

Sean of Detroit, Don't be discouraged..2005 was a fluke. The weather is usually quite tolerable.

Crystal
Username: Crystal

Post Number: 345
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 11:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kimistree, the band director did call for the band to drop out due to cold and the risk of frostbite (fingerless gloves for the band members). As I recall, the drum majors did not get the message, and most of the band kept playing. Some band members who did get the message bravely soldiered on, but wow it was cold that morning!

Agreed, usually the weather is OK for the parade.

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 2223
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 1:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Parade Web Site: http://www.theparade.org/

Are their still free viewing areas on lower Woodward, or is that only for the T.V. crews and VIP Grand Stands?

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 2293
Posted on Wednesday, November 26, 2008 - 6:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A nice 40' for tomorrow; we'll be there. Now, picking out a spot...

What do you guys think? Grand Circus Park or Campus Martius will probably look spectacular, but doesn't provide much wind protection. Is the space between the two parks all news crews and grand stands? It would be neat to see it from the 1400 Block (in the vicinity of Oslo).

Ragtoplover59
Username: Ragtoplover59

Post Number: 392
Posted on Thursday, November 27, 2008 - 11:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Campus Martius looked to be a great spot.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.