Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » Note to 9936sussex « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Chuckjav
Username: Chuckjav

Post Number: 1098
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 8:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

9936sussex....saw your HOF post to the Bowling Alleys thread; you mentioned Mont Carlo Lanes, on Plymouth near Hubbell. I was on a youth league there in 1971; when did you bowl at Mont Carlo?

PS How's this for coincidence: my first girlfriend - ever - lived at 9936 Mark Twain; we were both on the youth bowling team at Mont Carlo

(Message edited by chuckjav on November 13, 2008)

9936sussex
Username: 9936sussex

Post Number: 197
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 10:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Chuck! I bowled there from around 1960-1969. My girlfriends father worked there (might have been one of the managers) so a bunch of us girls would bowl there on Saturday mornings. Do you remember a little cafe/diner near there? We used to go in there for burgers once in a while after we bowled, but I don't remember it's name. Who was your girlfriend? I may have known her. My piano teacher lived on Mark Twain on that block.

Chuckjav

Post Number: 1099
Posted on Friday, November 14, 2008 - 6:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

9936...still trying to remember a cafe near the bowling alley ; we always ordered frozen subs at Mont Carlo - for the microwave...which was kind of cool, back then.
My girlfriend was Sue - we were both 12, in 1970; she had a kid sister, Patty and two brothers that attended Mackenzie, Doug & Ed.

(Message edited by chuckjav on November 14, 2008)

9936sussex

Post Number: 198
Posted on Friday, November 14, 2008 - 5:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chuck: Nope, don't recognize the family.

Chuckjav

Post Number: 1101
Posted on Saturday, November 15, 2008 - 11:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

9936sussex...those were fast-times; quite a few people came & went through that neighborhood during the early to mid-70s.

My guess is that you attended George Ford, K-8 & Mackenzie, 9-12?

I was bummed out to see that George Ford had been torn down - I had no idea.

Did you play sports at MHS?

9936sussex

Post Number: 199
Posted on Saturday, November 15, 2008 - 4:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Chuck! I did attend George Ford K-9, and then Mackenzie 10-12. Didn't play sports, but was on Dial, Choir, and Mixed Ensemble.

Chuckjav

Post Number: 1105
Posted on Saturday, November 15, 2008 - 5:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

9936sussex....COOL!
Did you get a chance to look at the (just posted) Cooley pictures? Absolutely no-dif between interiors at CHS at good old Mackenzie.

I was cracking up Cooley's football coach last week; he was taking my son and I on the grand tour. I could tell him where everything was - thanks to my magical Mackenzie Memory.

PS Just between you & me (and everyone reading) - I have a serious mind to blow the security doors off MHS...take a good walk around - just one last time.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.