Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » Retail workers of 80's and 90's « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

N7hn
Username: N7hn

Post Number: 105
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 11:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

85 to about 93 I worked an alot of the metro deroit malls including livonia mall, fairlane, southland,eastland, lakeside. store included Chess king, Cignal, Donna sacs, T Edwards.......What a time that was. Such a fellowship between the workers. Free cookies and movie entrance all on the hush. Trading discounts and drinks in the mall bars afterwork (and sometimes during) and that god aweful xmas parking for employees, I guess I couldnt help think of them during theis time of year. I know some of you out there worked in the malls too. See ya in the food court

(Message edited by n7hn on December 03, 2008)

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 3085
Posted on Thursday, December 04, 2008 - 2:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fast times at Ridgemont High ? I think I saw you with the Pirate hat. :-)

Lonelycloud
Username: Lonelycloud

Post Number: 14
Posted on Thursday, December 04, 2008 - 6:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone remember Tally Hall ?

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 9722
Posted on Thursday, December 04, 2008 - 7:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice try, but a good example of how a successful marketing plan in one place, doesn't necessarily work everywhere.

Faneuil Hall works in Boston, but Orchard Lake Road?

Norwalk
Username: Norwalk

Post Number: 438
Posted on Thursday, December 04, 2008 - 8:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I worked the malls as well from 78 to 85 Lakeside, Eastland, Summit Place, Livonia all for Musicland Great times indeed. I have to say Eastland was my favorite to work. Having grown up in the suburbs working there was an eye opening experience and in 1978 when when I was there the area was a lot different then it is today. I've lived south of 8 mile ever since.

Lferg
Username: Lferg

Post Number: 51
Posted on Thursday, December 04, 2008 - 8:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I worked at Eastland for a while. Saw quite a few strange happenings, lol.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 14847
Posted on Thursday, December 04, 2008 - 9:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My experience was Fairlane Towne Centre, 1979-81.

Had to wear a three-piece suit because I worked with Anton's Menswear...drank in both of the mall bars with no problems well before I turned eighteen! We even had the Hyatt fooled most of the time, too, loved riding that monorail buzzed and desserted after a long day.

I cannot remember paying for food during the entire time. Had friends in pretty much all the restaurants, especially Elias Brothers and Burger King...and that Pizza joint just down the hall from BK, still regret chosing Alien as a first date movie with Jody who worked there.

Wouldn't have been so bad if we weren't forced to sit right up front...sometimes when you snuck into the theaters there weren't too many options!

I knew every back alley route and shortcut through the center of the mall...and which level had the stairs to make the straightest line through the mall. Spent too much time at Fairlane...not unlike the airport, but at least we could have wheelchair races out there.

Lonelycloud
Username: Lonelycloud

Post Number: 15
Posted on Thursday, December 04, 2008 - 11:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember Anton's. They were the shit for men's clothing at that time.

I worked at Heslop's at Twelve Oaks in the earlier '90s. Could still smoke inside the mall at that time. That was before Taubmann decided to take it upscale.

Also worked at Albert's at Westland in the mid '90s. Anyone remember the birds in cages at Westland in the 1970s ? Outrageous !

Working at the mall was almost a right of passage for young girls back then. That 10% employee discount was key...

Alley
Username: Alley

Post Number: 827
Posted on Thursday, December 04, 2008 - 1:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I worked at The Gap at Eastland Mall in 1995-6. I couldn't deal with the 'on-call' schedule, as if I were a surgeon or something! It was an OK highschool job otherwise. Awesome discount! The Gap wasn't really my style, but with 50% off regularly priced items and 33% off on sales, how could I not take advantage?

N7hn
Username: N7hn

Post Number: 107
Posted on Thursday, December 04, 2008 - 1:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

that was me in the pirate hat,,,, arrrrggghhhhhhhhh

Wykkidx
Username: Wykkidx

Post Number: 83
Posted on Thursday, December 04, 2008 - 10:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Back in 87-88 I worked in Wonderland mall at the Dunham's store. While the job it's self sucked working in a mall was great, N7hn you are right about the fellowship between the workers, even between the workers and the security guards was tight. It was great taking the shortcuts in the mall to get across it quicker, or on days off walking the malls with friends and getting the discounts on stuff and your friends can't figure out how or why you were getting it (all with a friendly wink) It is one place I think about fondly.

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 2032
Posted on Friday, December 05, 2008 - 11:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember going to meet a friend who worked at the Tel Twelve American Eagle as he was getting ready to leave work. He had to let a manager search his coat for stolen items every night before he left; I was shocked! I worked lots of service jobs in the late 80s and early 90s, none at the malls though.

Mashugruskie
Username: Mashugruskie

Post Number: 345
Posted on Tuesday, December 09, 2008 - 9:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I worked at The Cookie Factory at Fairlane (lasted one day. I quit.) and also some deli right near Jonathan B. Pub (I can't remember the name right now). I then ended up at the Hyatt, which I loved. That place was unreal in the early 1980's. One big family and huge parties at Christmas (for the employees...including a Big Band!).

...and then it all changed and became crap.

I always wanted to get hired at Just Pants and Peaches Records & Tapes on Schaefer but I wasn't cool enough.

Gannon

Post Number: 14853
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 11:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Peaches Records & Tapes...wow.

I have one of their earliest promo wall hangings...a yellow and purple silkscreen of James Taylor...before they had artists copy the record album covers for their high-up wall decorations.

What a place that was...it was where we hung on Fridays because we could shop until midnight.

Those are days I wish I could re-visit, at least with today's wisdom.

Gannon

Post Number: 14854
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 11:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember one skinny and very cool manager at the Hyatt I made friends with...he was at the restaurant with the amazing desserts for a long while, then they moved him to that steak joint next door before catering.

I think his last name was English...seems I remember him getting into a bad car crash. Fuzzy synapses...thanks for rattling them, Mashug.

Mashugruskie
Username: Mashugruskie

Post Number: 355
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 11:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Was it Dougie? When Guilio's was in full-force, those waiters made $500 per night, easy. The head chef was named Dominic, I think. Free filet for me when I was there.

At Peaches, I slobbered over Iggy Pop's "The Idiot" wall hanging, which was outside the store. One of my friends worked there (a musician) and he used to load up his empty guitar case with records and drop a few off at my house. One of those records was Kate Bush's "Lionheart".

Schaefer Road was always ugly but it's uglier now.

Gannon

Post Number: 14855
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 12:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah! Doug English...always some cool perk when he was around, he would make my dates swoon...it was always a party.

I think he was one of those enthused that he'd been serving me for years and I only turned eighteen working at the my next job.

Ended up selling him some equipment when I went to Tech Hifi on Telegraph Road after Anton's.

Haven't thought about him in twenty years or more!

J_stone
Username: J_stone

Post Number: 442
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 4:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did anyone know Pete Collias from Anton's?

Gannon

Post Number: 14856
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 6:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow. He has been on my top five list of influential men of my lifetime since high school.

He all but fired me then, and re-hired me years later to work in the RenCen store. Upstanding gent whom I'd not mind crossing paths with again.

Wow.

Two major blasts from the past...how do you know him J?

J_stone
Username: J_stone

Post Number: 178
Posted on Monday, December 15, 2008 - 1:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gannon -

Seriously??

Small world I suppose.

If I ever see you again in person, I'll have to tell you about it.

I believe there is still a suit store, albeit with another name in Downtown Mt. Clemens.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.