Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » What did we all get? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Dtowncitylover
Username: Dtowncitylover

Post Number: 424
Posted on Saturday, December 27, 2008 - 3:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am surprised to see no one has started this thread yet. (Of course I am blind as a bat and my not see it!) A simple question if you celebrate Chritstmas...what did you for Christmas?

For me, the coolest Detroit thing is the new Images of America book entitled "20th Century Retailing in Downtown Detroit". An incredible book full of information about Hudson's, Kern's, and Kresge's, Downtown Detroit Days, and other stuff, including a photo and caption about SEMTA's commuter train from Pontiac to Detroit that used to give shoppers coupons on board the train for shopping. I also got a navy issue peacoat.

Lodgedodger
Username: Lodgedodger

Post Number: 1145
Posted on Saturday, December 27, 2008 - 3:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Books, books, and more books! I'm in heaven over here! ;-)

9936sussex
Username: 9936sussex

Post Number: 203
Posted on Saturday, December 27, 2008 - 4:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I also received the Arcadia book regarding Downtown Detroit retailing. It's really neat, and a great companion book for the Hudson's book I received a few years ago. I also received some other books (interior design) and a DVD of "Sweeney Todd". It was a great Christmas in our house!

Eriedearie
Username: Eriedearie

Post Number: 4318
Posted on Saturday, December 27, 2008 - 6:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is probably not something you are expecting to read from anyone here. But...what I received from my family and friends was nothing; they did no shopping for me, and I had no shopping that I had to do for them.

I have wanted to do this for the past several years and everyone balked at the idea, so we continued to exchange gifts of doo dads, money, gift certificates, slippers, etc. All the usual.

We finally had a gift free Christmas for the adults. We only focused on the children in the family.

I realized yesterday I didn't have to make room for anything else in the house. I didn't have to put away something I truly like so that I can display some knick knack I really don't care for, because the next time so and so visits - they will wonder why I don't have that thing displayed!

We sat around the living/dining area and visited, told stories from our past holiday experiences, ate, and just really enjoyed being together.

It all was really quite liberating. An unusual Christmas at our house that I hope continues.

Mashugruskie
Username: Mashugruskie

Post Number: 379
Posted on Saturday, December 27, 2008 - 7:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I got a rock.

Kidding.

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 2994
Posted on Saturday, December 27, 2008 - 7:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I bought myself a 5.8 Ghz Uniden cordless phone using the Meijer coupons mentioned on another thread. It ended up costing me $14.99 + tax.

My other cordless crapped out two years ago, and I was using an old Princess style phone out of my junk drawer.

Nice to be back in the 21st century again.

Alley
Username: Alley

Post Number: 992
Posted on Saturday, December 27, 2008 - 8:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We got a Wii for the family, it's pretty fun! Our kids got TOOOOO much, it looks like Toys R Us threw up on our house!

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 2776
Posted on Saturday, December 27, 2008 - 8:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We don't do adult gifts either, for the most part. My son got me some really cool things for my boots, they are rubber over-thingies that have spikes in the bottom for walking on ice. Tried them out yesterday and they work great! Ginger the dog got a stuffed animal, she has been wanting one for months. Hubby got a computer device to convert slides and negatives to computer files. He got me a cast iron duck for the garden. Really cool stuff that we can use! Son got a nice special design shirt for business casual.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 3738
Posted on Saturday, December 27, 2008 - 8:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm still trying to figure out how a Wii is pronounced "Wee". I'd pronounce it "Why", myself, but what do I know?

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 2891
Posted on Saturday, December 27, 2008 - 8:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"We don't do adult gifts either, for the most part."

You mean like Lovers Lane ? Those commercials are creepy.

Mayor_sekou
Username: Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 2622
Posted on Saturday, December 27, 2008 - 9:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A threesome. No actually I'm kidding Ill ask for that next year.

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 2777
Posted on Saturday, December 27, 2008 - 9:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL, Lovers Lane. That would make Christmas morning interesting. What I meant was, we mostly buy gifts for the kids.

Lodgedodger

Post Number: 1150
Posted on Sunday, December 28, 2008 - 12:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The books are great, but as schmaltzy as it may sound, I'm perfectly happy (and thankful) I have my betterhalf. That's enough of a gift.

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 2176
Posted on Sunday, December 28, 2008 - 1:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^Yes, yes! My fiancee is herself, what more could I ask for?

This was a tough Christmas, but we ended up with some real miracles this year that I won't get into. Likewise for the hard times for friends and relatives. I got some gifts from family, towels, a clock, picture frames...

...but the real treat was that I got to meet my new nephew for the very first time this Christmas (It's his first Christmas). Unfortunately, they (My Sister's Family) had to transfer out of state for work. My brother has a similar story, along with several other family members. This is also the first real Christmas that my fiance's Grand Parents were not around for (rest their souls). I am planning to do some more visits over the upcoming New Year's Week as well.

Given the extreme situations, this was a great Christmas. I don't think I could have asked for anything more. I can't wait to see what 2009 will bring!

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 3183
Posted on Sunday, December 28, 2008 - 9:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was a nice Christmas...we did spend less, as several family members are affected by the current Big 3 situation, including my in-laws who are dependent on GM retiree benefits. Among the adults (which now includes our 21+ children), we draw names, thus focussing on Grandma (my Mom, who received lots of gift cards and gifts), the under-21 children, and our soon-to-be first of the next generation.

I am blessed with a terrific family and very special friends. They know what I love and am passionate about, and certainly fed those passions. Among my gifts were a few Detroit items...the 1941 Hudson's Jubilee booklet (a compilation of articles describing six decades in the growth and development of Detroit and its environs 1881-1941), "Moving pictures: A look at Detroit from high atop the People Mover" by Manny Crisostomo (1987), an Essex Motors emblem (possibly from a 1919 Roadster), a Detroit map totebag and button (City Bird!), and a new I Heart Detroit coffee mug.

We've also been blessed to spend time celebrating the holidays with family and friends during this past month and through the first weekend of January. Cheers!!

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 3767
Posted on Sunday, December 28, 2008 - 2:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I received a big fat lump of coal labeled Economy.

Classicyesfan
Username: Classicyesfan

Post Number: 371
Posted on Monday, December 29, 2008 - 3:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My extended family decided to no longer exchange gifts. Instead of spending time shopping, wrapping, and in general schlepping around, we spend it together, relaxed and stress-free. We actually look forward to get-togethers now. I truly like not having to think of gifts for people who have everything or I hardly know.

My significant one and I decided to cut back drastically on holiday gifts and instead put the money into our fund to buy the whole-house generator with automatic switchover. Power outages seem more frequent and longer lasting, and we have a difficult time protecting our assorted animals from the extremes. We are almost there. So, that will be much more rewarding to me than any gift. I do enjoy the "Msd Men season one DVD collection though, since I missed the entire first year.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 9074
Posted on Tuesday, December 30, 2008 - 12:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I got this and laughed my ass off.

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.co m/product.asp?order_num=-1&SKU =16066281

Lodgedodger

Post Number: 1174
Posted on Tuesday, December 30, 2008 - 1:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

John, I've collected PEZ since the Sixties. Betterhalf doesn't understand it. To be honest, I can't explain it. When I see one, I'll pick it up. I have them all in a big box in the basement. The nieces and nephews love to play with them when they're over.

Enjoy your PEZ, John. ;-)

Raptor56
Username: Raptor56

Post Number: 684
Posted on Tuesday, December 30, 2008 - 5:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My parents took me to Ludwik's to get a much needed new suit. Received some cash, a few gift certificates (including one to Opus One in Greektown), South Park DVD's, and one of those liquor bottle carousel things. Made the girlfriend's holiday by giving her one of those expandable clothes drying racks and an engagement ring.

Det313grrl
Username: Det313grrl

Post Number: 331
Posted on Tuesday, December 30, 2008 - 10:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had to puy it out there.

Flanders_field
Username: Flanders_field

Post Number: 1461
Posted on Wednesday, December 31, 2008 - 2:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^^ My wife's Christmas "gift" was from her employer, being told that her hours were being cut at her part time, minimum wage "job" from around 20-22 hrs a week to 10, so now she has to work a month to earn the equivalent of a week of full time. I said to my wife that she is about as close to being unemployed without being unemployed as someone could possibly get!!

She has been looking for a better job, but has not been offered any interviews since September. If the employment prospects here stay the same or continue to get worse, we will be forced to move out and leave MI.

We also discussed quitting her job because 10 hrs a week is close to ridiculous, but I remembered that the same thing happened to me at my first job, in the early 70s, working full time at minimum wage at a high end national retailer, the store manager cut my hours in half, in a department that was selling fur coats to old-money Detroiter bluebloods for their mistresses @ $10,000 and up. I suppose a little money is better than none, but if the job was more than a couple of miles away, and gas prices were still $4.00+, it might not be worth it.

My gift was my Medicare card that finally came in the mail, I was happy until I looked at the effective date on the front of the card: April Fools Day..uh-oh...it was supposed to go into effect December 1st...WTF!!

(Message edited by Flanders_field on December 31, 2008)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.