Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » Schmaltz for the New Year! « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Tponetom
Username: Tponetom

Post Number: 354
Posted on Saturday, December 27, 2008 - 5:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This past year has not been the best for us and I am sure that there are many who might agree that it was not the best for them, either. So, indulge me a little and I will try to make you smile, or maybe put a tear in your eye. A good tear, of course.

Written on March 3, 2007
Just recently, my pal, Phil suggested, that when I write a message to him, I should include a CC (carbon copy) of that message to his wife, who just got her first computer!

Well, perish the thought! Ribald as I may be, I still have enough respect and reverence for all of the classy ladies I have known, not to tarnish the tenuous relationship that I have with all of them. His wife is one of those classy ladies!

There are certain, sacrosanct if you will, subjects, that I do not share with my more neanderthal, male friends.

With the ladies, I enjoy sharing my more vulnerable attitudes.

For instance, I write flossy and glossy things to Peggy. On her birthday anniversary, last year, (meaning 2006) I wrote:

22645 Days. April 26, 2006

That is a lot of Days. Memorial Day, 1944. 62 years ago.

That was the day that I knew I loved you. (We will always have Bob-Lo) There was no hesitation, no vacillation in my mind or heart that I would love you forever and ever, amen.

There has always been an eternal question in my mind. Do I love you more than I need you? Or do I need you more than I love you?

When I think of all the roads I have taken in my life, all the decisions, all the chances and opportunities that I might have had, some of which I employed and others that I rejected, the one firm and salient conclusion that I came to, was easy.

I would not change one iota of the itinerary that I followed. One simple detour in the path of life that was mine, may have altered both of our lives.

I have loved you totally, exclusively, and without reservation or qualification.

It took more than a few years to mature and even more years to understand and still more to put into practice the quality of love that we enjoy today.

I believe that there are as many different attitudes of love as there are people on the face of the earth. To many it may be nothing more than providing the simple ingredients of subsistence. To others it may mean extraordinary provisions of luxuries.

To me it has meant a physical dedication of my efforts to you alone. And more than that, it means an emotional commitment to thought and word as well as deed.

I believe the first thirty years of our lives together were a learning experience and the last thirty years have been a harvest of love and satisfaction.

I look at you today, and I marvel at the wonder of you!
. . . . . . . . . . . .

The following footnote is not a joke. It is real.

On October 1, 2006. Peggy woke up at 3:00 A.M. with a violent itch that covered her entire body, from the soles of her feet to the top of her head. There were red, random striations all over her body. After an hour and a half in a ‘corn starch’ bath the itch subsided.

Subsequent, multiple visits to our regular Doctor, our Dermatologist and an Allergist resulted in the unanimous opinion, which was and still is, “YES, SHE HAS AN ITCH!”

They do not know what causes it and they do not know how to get rid of it. It is erratic and spontaneous, any time of the day or night. It continues to this day. We treat it with Jergen’s Lotion. It stops the itch within minutes but it does not kill it.

And now there is a sad footnote to that declaration of love. Because of her new found “itch” condition, I can no longer embrace her and scratch her back when she stumbles out of bed into my arms. The scratching exacerbates her “itch.”

Tpone

Oh, I almost forgot. I have been happily married to Peggy for 59 years and she has been happily married to me for,,,I don’t know,,,maybe 7 or 8 years.

Does anyone know where I got that line,,,about Bob-Lo????????

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ONE AND ALL

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 2995
Posted on Saturday, December 27, 2008 - 7:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great post again, Tponetom. Keep them coming, I think it helps us all to be a little more - shall I say - real.

(Message edited by Bigb23 on December 27, 2008)

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 1766
Posted on Saturday, December 27, 2008 - 10:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tell Peggy I'm sorry about her 'itch' condition!

Oh, and I don't know where the Bob-Lo line comes from.

Terridarlin
Username: Terridarlin

Post Number: 96
Posted on Sunday, December 28, 2008 - 4:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tponetom: "we will always have Boblo" a remake of: "We will always have Paris"?

I enjoy your writing very much. Thank you for sharing it. I hope 2009 brings less problems, more love, and many more years with your Peggy.

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 2784
Posted on Sunday, December 28, 2008 - 4:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Love the letter! I am sorry about the itch thing too. Did Peg start taking any new meds or get any new clothing or furniture or was there anything new introduced into your environment before the condition started? It will be hard to remember all the way back two plus years, maybe, but whatever it is, it is still there. New bed cover? New pillows? New rug?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.