Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » Huge rant for me « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Sumas
Username: Sumas

Post Number: 546
Posted on Wednesday, January 07, 2009 - 6:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Car was down. Easy diagnosis, 1997 Taurus. Need new oil pan gasket. I called around for pricing. Best price. $485.

Husband calls around, $245. Picks the car up after the repair and guess what, now we have no brakes.

We just had the brakes done this summer. I am sick to death of crappy car service. Give a price, and sabotage the car?

He could have harmed himself or others. The car is "fixed" but no brakes now. Pissed off in the extreme.

Denbytar64
Username: Denbytar64

Post Number: 85
Posted on Wednesday, January 07, 2009 - 6:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ford...find on road dead

Dodge..dirty old dingy greasy engines

Fiat..fix it again Tony

Sorry to hear of your car troubles.

Chuckjav
Username: Chuckjav

Post Number: 1362
Posted on Wednesday, January 07, 2009 - 6:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sumas....damage to your brakes - specifically brake line(s) - could have been caused by the mechanic while raising your car on hydraulic lift.

What do your observations...the evidence suggest?

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 2815
Posted on Wednesday, January 07, 2009 - 6:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What did the shop say? I had that happen once, and it was fixed at no charge of course.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 3768
Posted on Wednesday, January 07, 2009 - 7:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Son graduates from High school.

I shudder. What college are you going to stick me with?

He shrugs. Naw, I wanna go to GM Tech and be a mechanic.

I send. Fraction of the cost of college.

He does fine. Loves it. Great mechanic. Have never had to pay a penny for car repairs except for parts.

Whew. Dodged a great bullet.

Sumas

Post Number: 548
Posted on Wednesday, January 07, 2009 - 8:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry people for the rant. But really, as a woman, I was quoted double. Yes, I am sure they messed something up. My husband, who picked the car up, came home screaming. I don't blame him. No brakes??? Will take the car back tomorrow, might get satisfaction might not.

Okay Ray, what shop is he working for and can I adopt him?

Crystal
Username: Crystal

Post Number: 357
Posted on Wednesday, January 07, 2009 - 8:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

About 20 years ago, a repair shop replaced a head gasket on one of our cars. A mile or so after we left the repair shop, the car stalled. Turned out they forgot to put in oil.

Another time, a mechanic mistakenly hooked up the washer fluid pump to the fuel tank. The fuel tank buckled and had to be replaced.

Sometimes life seems like one of those great George Booth cartoons about car repair. If you find a good mechanic, take very good care of them!

Mashugruskie
Username: Mashugruskie

Post Number: 410
Posted on Wednesday, January 07, 2009 - 8:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stan's in Redford on Six or Van Ess in Livonia on Five.

Both honest and no jacked prices because you're female.

I use Stan's first.

Chuckjav

Post Number: 1363
Posted on Wednesday, January 07, 2009 - 8:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Crystal....those sound like meth-head mechanic miscues; seriously drug related.

Vic_doucette
Username: Vic_doucette

Post Number: 168
Posted on Wednesday, January 07, 2009 - 8:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you're on the east side, go to Masonic Auto Electric in Fraser at Masonic and Groesebeck.
Kept my cars running for close to 20 years.
Won't jack you around because you're a woman.
Owned/operated by two brothers.
Mention my name, and look to see if my testimonial letter to them is still on the wall.
Reasonable prices and good, quality work.

Ray1936

Post Number: 3769
Posted on Wednesday, January 07, 2009 - 9:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Okay Ray, what shop is he working for and can I adopt him?"

Sorry, Sumas, but he's here in Las Vegas and working for a company that services school buses for the Clark County School District, among other clients.

Cheddar_bob
Username: Cheddar_bob

Post Number: 1600
Posted on Wednesday, January 07, 2009 - 9:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Need new oil pan gasket. I called around for pricing. Best price. $485.

Sounds like that girl that paid $45 for a cab ride from The State Theatre to Mid-town. At least you didn't pay it.

On the other hand, it's less than 12 bolts. You take them out, change the gasket, and then put them back in. It's not like learning Aramaic or giving a Boolean interpretation of categorical syllogisms. It's 12 bolts that you take out and put back in. Not that I would expect a woman to do it, but I assume your husband could have done it for around $25.

I changed my transmission fluid and gasket the other day. While I could have paid the blind, mentally handicapped, six fingered 12 year old girl next door to do it, I just spent the 20 minutes to do it myself. Total cost...less than $30. The best part was that I didn't fuck up my brake lines when I did it, though.

Gazhekwe

Post Number: 2817
Posted on Wednesday, January 07, 2009 - 9:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Southfield Muffler at Greenfield just south of 13 Mile is honest and get the job done, reasonable prices. Not just muffler work, all kinds of mechanical work and tires, too.

Sumas

Post Number: 550
Posted on Thursday, January 08, 2009 - 5:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Cheddar, actually the part was $30 at Auto zone and yes I do believe in supporting the handicapped. You want to fix my brakes?

Bongman
Username: Bongman

Post Number: 688
Posted on Thursday, January 08, 2009 - 7:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Having lost a trans on my last Silverado, I would really like to perform that simple preventative maintenance procedure Cheddar has outlined on my current truck. Only problem is, all of the new "foreign" transmissions are permanently sealed at the "foreign" factory before installation.

I also recently attempted to change my fuel filter, which on my last three GM models was in-line under the truck by the passenger door. That fuel filter is now located inside the gas tank.

Sometimes it's not easy being loyal.

Gazhekwe

Post Number: 2820
Posted on Thursday, January 08, 2009 - 12:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Heh, it does sound intimidating to have the fuel filter and pump inside the gas tank, doesn't it? The mechanic across the street assures me it is a simple job to drop the tank and replace things. Not that I would try it.

Bongman
Username: Bongman

Post Number: 691
Posted on Thursday, January 08, 2009 - 12:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm probably not the best choice to be messing with dripping gasoline.

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 4824
Posted on Thursday, January 08, 2009 - 12:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What side of town do you live on Sumas? (So we know if places to recommend are near you.)

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 3175
Posted on Thursday, January 08, 2009 - 1:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had an 81 Chevette way back when, and I had to replace a starter. Most mechanics wouldn't touch it. So I went and did it myself. Big problems - the only ways to change it was either jacking up the engine/drive train OR removing the dash, and pulling the steering column completely out.

Then you needed special GM designed tools, to complete the job ! I did the dash/steering thing, with jury rigged tools, and then sold it right after. That was not engineered as a user friendly vehicle.

What a pain.

But I've had GM vehicles ever since then, and that's loyalty ! (Or just plain crazy).

Ray1936

Post Number: 3770
Posted on Thursday, January 08, 2009 - 1:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Only frustration I experienced was in my '93 Ford Explorer. Headlight burned out. EZ fix, right? Wrong. You have to remove the damn battery to get to the bulb.

Some engineer with a Master's, no doubt.

Sumas

Post Number: 555
Posted on Thursday, January 08, 2009 - 3:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Called the shop that did the work. They did send a tow trunk (their cost) to pick up our car sitting on the sidestreet that it slide into from a parking lot when my husband found out he had no brakes.

They came to the house and picked up the keys even. Don't want to give out too much info cause maybe these guys are good, real, legitimate car repair people. If they do step up to the plate and fix a problem they caused I will definitely put their name out there as a good place to do business.

The towing company they sent, still has us laughing. "End of Time Towing". Scripture on the business card and in large letters, Lock outs and Junk cars. I guess someone has to do it.

Good people, I'm sure, but that was the oddest business card we have seen. It's kind of stale to be without a car but we did get a good laugh and maybe even will have a drivable car by tommorow.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 8959
Posted on Thursday, January 08, 2009 - 10:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL, you gotta wonder how many folk shrug and say 'what the hey' and give UP on their broken vehicles when this truck arrives.

I mean if it truly IS the End of Time, why would anyone need a tow?!

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 3181
Posted on Thursday, January 08, 2009 - 11:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"End of Time Towing"

Sstashmoo
Username: Sstashmoo

Post Number: 3092
Posted on Thursday, January 08, 2009 - 11:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"End of time" is probably a diversion to take your mind off how much damage they did to your car.

Sumas

Post Number: 557
Posted on Friday, January 09, 2009 - 12:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Read the business card, including scripture to my sister and she almost bust a gut,I didn't know she had a sense of humor.

I am actually religious, but please give me a break. This is just silly.

My favorite born again story, regarded a piano repair. We left a book about the life of St. Augustine on the piano. Repair/tuner saw it and to get rid of him we had to kneel and do a prayer fest.

Our communion with God is private and we are not very comfortable with this behavior. I/we respect all forms of celebrating God in our world, but I found that one really wierd.

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 2899
Posted on Friday, January 09, 2009 - 7:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When I was a kid, I worked at a ten minute oil change place. One time, a guy cross threaded an oil filter, and sent the car on its way. It went through and got its free car wash - its last - and then started off down the road. A half mile later, a rod was thrown through the firewall.

We noticed too late, when we saw a huge pond of oil gushing out of the car wash.

My first day I started a brand new Fleetwood Cadillac and ran it for two minutes without a drop of oil in it. I forgot to fill it after draining it. Cant imagine that car lived a very long life.

Moral of story: change your own oil. (or if you like: dont ever let mauser work on your car)

Chuckjav

Post Number: 1399
Posted on Friday, January 09, 2009 - 12:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sumas.....as our Reporter in the Field, please keep us posted on the gripping saga of your 1997 Taurus - inquiring minds want to know.

Updates every hour...bulletins at once...right here, on WDYS-TV

Ragtoplover59
Username: Ragtoplover59

Post Number: 447
Posted on Friday, January 09, 2009 - 1:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ray--"Only frustration I experienced was in my '93 Ford Explorer. Headlight burned out. EZ fix, right? Wrong. You have to remove the damn battery to get to the bulb. "

On my car (Sebring conv.) you got to remove the front left wheel to change the Battery?

One time I tried to change my own radiator fluid, that was when I stopped doing everything on this car myself, some things are worth paying for someone else to deal with !

I'll change my brakes and rotate the tires, But antifreeze and oil change just take too long at home.

Sumas

Post Number: 558
Posted on Friday, January 09, 2009 - 2:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When we were newly weds, we planned a trip out of town in a used car I bought from one of my sisters. Being logical, we had an oil change, tune up, etc. before the trip. Picked it up and got a mile away from the dealership and the oil light came on. That was our first major fight, my husband was going to ignore it and I insisted on pulling over. Sure enough, they had forgot to replace the oil. On that same trip, we stopped at a garage in Georgia when the air con started dumping lots of water into the front seat.. We were told we needed a new system. We declined, bought a bunch of towels and when we got home I took the car to my Dad. He diagnosed the problem in about a minute and fixed it faster, it was a clogged line. Boy, I really miss my Dad, he saved me fortunes with his knowledge and advice over the years.

I think people are getting my gist, I have really lousey luck with cars and repairs.

I had a guy I trusted for years but he retired. He called me Christmas Sue. One car or another always needed a major(to me)repair right before Christmas. At least this car waited for the New Year

Believe me I could write for hours about various cars we have owned. I think if I hear one more Time That my car's problem was one in a million I'll scream.

We live on the Eastside and I did write down east area shops. I appreciate people sharing reputable shops with us.

Still waiting hear the news on our car.

Chuckjav

Post Number: 1402
Posted on Friday, January 09, 2009 - 2:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good-Gawd...all these horror stories about mechanics, forgetting to do this/that & the other thing.

Next time I bring my car in for repairs, I'm insisting on documentation pertinent to employee drug screening.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 8967
Posted on Friday, January 09, 2009 - 6:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That won't guarantee a damn thing.

Sumas

Post Number: 559
Posted on Friday, January 09, 2009 - 7:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good suggestion actually.

This is for you Chuck,

Word just in, A & S Automotive Located at 15791 East Warren, Detroit, MI 48224 are real scum bags.

Car goes in with good brakes comes out with none. Checked with a friend who is a certified mechanic and he confirmed the damage was most likely done by them fixing that different problem.

They wanted another $245 to fix a problem they caused. We figured, why would we pay them for crap they caused. Tried to arrange for the car to be towed to a different station but it's being held hostage for the towing fee for the tow truck they sent when the brakes failed and the business said they would cover. No particular recourse so we have to pay.

$45 dollars to tow 1/2 to maybe one mile? They are lying again.

To complicate this even more AAA wouldn't pay for towing from one station to another. The reasoning evaded me. Did finally get a supervisor to over ride the rule.

Big deal, AAA gets almost $3000 a year from us between our son's car and ours, perfect driving records, no claims, in, I think its been close to two decades. I had to threaten to cancel my coverage for them to waive this rule. No doubt they checked our history, see us for the cash cows we are for them.

For people on the board who are bored with my rant. Don't read them. Simple really.

I do appreciate kind comments and advice from total strangers. Most people are kind and understand this is a hugh dilemma to me. I am going stir crazy with no car for more than a week. This post simply functions as a way to vent frustration. No job, no car, bills and limited money going fast to shysters. So make fun of me, if you will, at least they are funny and make me laugh.

I am going tomorrow to "Free Willy" ,my new name for my poor little car, what this service doesn't know yet is I'm coming with a different friend, also a cetified mechanic who will have them put it on a hoist. If I am wrong, I'll pay the shop for repairs, if I'm right, that sucker will rue the day.

I am sure people have figured out that I am not a "silent" sufferer. I have been a good advocate for people over the years and it's now time to advocate for myself.

Please don't ask why I didn't have these friends do repairs. I am sure you don't want another long boring explaination.

If my car isn't fixed by Monday, I probably will post every wierd problem I have ever had. Don't necessarily need readers to respond to these posts, just a way to vent and avoid a stress related heart attack. So apologies to DYERS just take a pass, don't read, this is the internet and all I am trying to do is protect my sanity by venting.

Chuckjav

Post Number: 1405
Posted on Friday, January 09, 2009 - 8:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sumas....thank you for keeping us posted - this is valuable information; hoping that that your plan of attack pays big dividends.

(Message edited by chuckjav on January 10, 2009)

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 847
Posted on Sunday, January 11, 2009 - 2:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Two years ago my"wife" made me take my car in to the garage to get my back breaks replaced. I was a former certified brake mechanic,It was a hard thing for me to do. Got the car back everything worked fine. The mechanic said " you almost got a new back window, them brakes are a pain in the a$$".Funny thing that car now has 180.000 + miles on it. Most problems were brake related.Oil leaks are one thing but brakes are major.Good LUCK Sumas and glad you stood up to AAA.

Sumas

Post Number: 563
Posted on Sunday, January 11, 2009 - 1:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well people I have to come clean, I was so determined not get screwed I took a Certified Mechanic with me, Guess what they were rusted through, no sabotage. On the other hand he could have said something cause he would have had to see, this problem. I just thank god we did't hit anything. I probably wouln't go there again but I feel bad I maligned him.

Alfie1a
Username: Alfie1a

Post Number: 142
Posted on Sunday, January 11, 2009 - 2:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you Sumas for clarifying whether or not they were at fault. In a highly competitive business, reputation is everything.

Just the same, they did give your husband a much better price, which is just plain wrong. So their reputation certainly did take a hit as far as you're concerned. What a shame.

(Message edited by Alfie1a on January 11, 2009)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.