Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » Paging Terridarlin « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Tponetom
Username: Tponetom

Post Number: 356
Posted on Wednesday, January 07, 2009 - 9:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Terri:
I was 'trolling' backward on some of these posts and found your Post # 96, Dec. 28.
Of course you were correct about "We will always have Paris."
Some things that are ageless to me, may be idle to others. I realize that.
"Casablanca" makes me long for a return of the 'studio method' of producing a motion picture. I only watch Casablanca once a month,,,,or more.
Pure escapism!

Terridarlin
Username: Terridarlin

Post Number: 100
Posted on Thursday, January 08, 2009 - 3:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Tponetom, and I have to admit it's nice to be paged. I understand Casablanca was filmed during World War II, perhaps people were looking for the same escapism we're in search of today. I find myself on the "Turner" movie channel quite often myself.

The best to you and Peggy in 2009.

Lowell
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 2141
Posted on Thursday, January 08, 2009 - 5:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm hooked on TCM too, which recently replayed Casablanca.

PBS had a great documentary just last week on all the exiles from the [mostly] German and Central European film industry who were chased out by Hitler and how they impacted Hollywood, especially in the emergence of the Film Noir era. Casablanca was particularly loaded with exiles both in front and behind of the camera starting with Director Michael Curtiz [nee Manó Kertész Kaminer] from Budapest.

Quite possibly the best film ever.

Terridarlin
Username: Terridarlin

Post Number: 101
Posted on Thursday, January 08, 2009 - 6:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And the émigrés Hollywood film composers: Max Steiner, Franz Waxman, Korngold, Mauceri and more. I hope they rerun the PBS documentary, it sounds interesting.

In the company of Tponetom and Lowell; it's going to be a fine 2009.

Tponetom
Username: Tponetom

Post Number: 357
Posted on Thursday, January 08, 2009 - 9:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lowell, Terri,
I have 350 tapes of the movies of the Thirties and Forties. (Thank You Ted Turner.)
Yes, they are corny, dated, outrageous, ridiculous, completely implausible and mostly,,,,predictable, and thank goodness for that last word, predictable!
Some of them removed the audience from the awful truths of those years, if only for an hour or two or three, just long enough to sustain them until their next "fix" in the shape of another 'movie' or radio program. There was always a beacon of hope implied in most of them and a dash of reality, as well.
They did not just entertain. They imbued you with a mood, of the times, that you could never forget. Never.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.