Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » Currently in rotation? (A Music Question) « Previous Next »
Currently in rotation? (A Music Question) - 2Doctors82 05-16-06  12:36 pm
Currently in rotation? (A Music Question) - 1Oldredfordette80 04-10-06  1:28 pm
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Superaygun
Username: Superaygun

Post Number: 427
Posted From: 68.42.181.216
Posted on Wednesday, May 03, 2006 - 3:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thanks, Erikto, for the tip. :-) i am definitely going to look into that...
(sorry for the delay in response; i was on vay-kay [Coachella---WOOO!!!])
the Saints are awesome. i didn't even know they were still around. weird.

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 8392
Posted From: 67.71.56.144
Posted on Wednesday, May 03, 2006 - 9:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Damn you and your Coachella concert. I would have loved to have seen that!

Erikto
Username: Erikto

Post Number: 355
Posted From: 64.228.108.111
Posted on Wednesday, May 03, 2006 - 10:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I found the Saints were okay, short of awesome. Diferent singer, too. I much preferred Galactic a few weeks ago even though they really do need a singer. Right now I am playing morning-before-work music by way of one Steve Camacho. He's a black folk singer from the rustic Bronx. Great voice, the lp is on the Cook label and comes with a lyric sheet dated 1962. None of the folkies I know have ever heard of the guy, although there's one walking folk encyclopedia I know whom I keep forgetting to ask about this fine record. 1962 might be the last year folk records were made without any Dylan covers! I love Dylan but how many people recorded "Blowin In The Wind"? Steve talks between songs as if it's a live recording but there are no audience sounds. I like his introductions to ye olde standards like "Cotton Fields" and "Gallows Pole", dunno if this one's on cd or not...

Superaygun

Post Number: 429
Posted on Wednesday, May 03, 2006 - 1:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

sorry Goat! i know you would've...your boys She Wants Revenge were there (sorry dude, couldn't tell you how they were, i was in the Daft Punk tent! wasn't missing that!!). and not to rub it in but it was fucking amazing (sorry!). even Depeche Old was sweet.
post-Coachella listening:
Celebration (STILL!! even MORE so!!)...
TV On The Radio (to me, right now, best band ever. AMAZING, AMAZING live show)'s new songs from myspace...
Bill Nelson/Be Bop Deluxe reissues (courtesy of the greatest music store on the planet, Amoeba Music on Sunset Blvd. i was like a kid in a candy, er, record store...??)
the Go! Team (who could not have been any cuter or more fun at Coachella!! mind-blowing good times!!)

Black_barbie
Username: Black_barbie

Post Number: 8
Posted From: 136.181.195.84
Posted on Friday, May 05, 2006 - 12:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Albums that are in my rotation (or should be)...

Amp Fidler "Ghetto Waltz Fly" (i believe)

Outkast...any album will do but my favorite is "Aquemini"

Black Bottom Collective "people mover"

Dave Chappelle's "Block Party"

Portishead "Dummy"

Green Day "American Idiot"

Various Artists "The Detroit Experiment"

and thats it for now :D

-BB

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 3394
Posted From: 65.222.10.3
Posted on Friday, May 05, 2006 - 6:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tom Tom Club self titled

This album is damn catchy and sugary, but at the same time it is fun. The songs seem timeless like they could have been created yesterday. Great Caribbean-style rhythms with a funky bass line and some great drum work.

Goat

Post Number: 8417
Posted From: 70.53.98.74
Posted on Friday, May 05, 2006 - 6:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mew - Compilation

Stratford 4 - Compilation

Kurwo
Username: Kurwo

Post Number: 851
Posted From: 68.100.112.29
Posted on Saturday, May 06, 2006 - 1:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Herb Alpert.

You can't go wrong with Herb Alpert.

Super_d
Username: Super_d

Post Number: 867
Posted From: 70.227.84.17
Posted on Saturday, May 06, 2006 - 2:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

'The revolution won't be televised'
Gil Scott Heron

'American Dream'
Bossa Beatnix

'Don't believe the Hype'
Public Enemy

super d(motordetroit)

Islandman
Username: Islandman

Post Number: 173
Posted From: 68.42.171.59
Posted on Saturday, May 06, 2006 - 5:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Patrick,

Good call on Tom Tom Club. How about that one track:

Take a Walk on the Wild Side

Is that the name of it?

Patrick

Post Number: 3396
Posted From: 69.209.162.163
Posted on Saturday, May 06, 2006 - 10:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

what tracj number is it?? i cant get "On,on,on" out of my head though.

Islandman

Post Number: 174
Posted on Saturday, May 06, 2006 - 5:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was thinking of Walk on the Wild Side (Lou Reed).

Holly came from Miami, F-L-A
Hitchhiked her way across the U-S-A
Plucked her eyebrows on the way
Shaved her legs and then he was a she
She says hey babe, take a walk on the wild side
Said hey honey, take a walk on the wild side

Candy came from out on the Island
In the back room she was everybody's darlin'
But she never lost her head
Even when she was givin' head
She says hey babe, take a walk on the wild side
Said hey babe, take a walk on the wild side

And the colored girls go
Doo, doo doo, doo doo, doo doo doo...

Little Joe never once gave it away
Everybody had to pay and pay
A hustle here and a hustle there
New York City's the place where
They said hey babe, take a walk on the wild side
They said hey Joe, take a walk on the wild side

Sugar plum fairy came and hit the streets
Lookin' for soul food and a place to eat
Went to the Apollo
You should have seen him go go go
They said hey Sugar, take a walk on the wild side
I said hey babe, take a walk on the wild side
All right, huh

Jackie is just speedin' away
Thought she was James Dean for a day
Then I guess she had to crash
Valium would've helped that bash
She said hey babe, take a walk on the wild side
I said hey honey, take a walk on the wild side

And the colored girls say...

Erikto

Post Number: 357
Posted From: 64.228.108.22
Posted on Sunday, May 07, 2006 - 12:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's a funny live rendition of this on Lou's classic "Take No Prisoners" lp...

Superaygun

Post Number: 440
Posted on Monday, May 08, 2006 - 5:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i LOVE that Tom Tom Club record! i had the tape when i was little. me and my sister used to know all the words to "Wordy Rappinghood!" love that funky little organ breakdown...
can't stop playing the Go! Team's Thunder, Lightning, Strike record OR the new Yeah Yeah Yeah's. those reviewers can bite me (i miss Velma :-(); that YYY's is some of their best work IMO.

Douglasm
Username: Douglasm

Post Number: 544
Posted From: 66.189.188.28
Posted on Monday, May 08, 2006 - 11:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"The Revolution Will Not Be Televised".....

Goat

Post Number: 8463
Posted From: 70.53.96.156
Posted on Tuesday, May 16, 2006 - 7:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ned's Atomic Dustbin - Every song they have made thus far!
Hopefully a tour of N. A this year or next.

(Message edited by GOAT on May 16, 2006)

Erikto

Post Number: 368
Posted From: 64.228.108.18
Posted on Wednesday, May 17, 2006 - 12:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

...of "Unbelievable" fame, Goat? I've been on a Canadian music kick, after borrowing a cd ("Canadian Rarities", surely a boot) with cuts by everyone from Montreal's The Haunted, Toronto's Ugly Ducklings, Handsome Ned, lotsa stuff I've never come across before. It inspired me to get a few Canadian rekkids, both the Paupers' lp's and a nice find I'm enjoying at this minute, the one and only Natural Gas record (jazzy, in the spirit of early Chicago). Also grabbed two Fanny albums I hadn't seen before, bringing my Fanny collection to 6... this early 70's girl rawk band had some fine moments.

Doctors
Username: Doctors

Post Number: 702
Posted From: 68.42.124.248
Posted on Wednesday, May 17, 2006 - 10:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Recently discovered Sun Ra and his Intergalactic Space Arkestra.

Album: Heliocentric Worlds

Rocket Number Nine is also one of my favorite's from the Arkestra.

Erikto

Post Number: 369
Posted From: 64.228.108.115
Posted on Wednesday, May 17, 2006 - 10:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Doctors, if you're getting into Sun Ra, there is a most interesting thread on him in the Soulful Detroit forum... someone there mentioned a Batman & Robin lp that features him and the Arkestra, sounds intriguing. I have a neato Batman lp on tape, but I think there are a few such lp's.

Goat

Post Number: 8465
Posted From: 70.54.70.170
Posted on Wednesday, May 17, 2006 - 11:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Erikto, no that would be EMF. Ned's had Kill Your Television and Grey Cell Green.
BTW: The Haunted are a good band.

Superaygun

Post Number: 457
Posted on Wednesday, May 17, 2006 - 6:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ned's Atomic Dustbin is still around? they were a neat band back in the day. i was always impressed by their dual bass players.
wow, someone else likes (and has even HEARD of!) Fanny! kick ass! you rock, Erikto...;)
fantastic spring-soon-to-be-summer record: Truly's Fast Stories From Kid Coma album. one of my favorite bands.

Islandman

Post Number: 176
Posted on Wednesday, May 17, 2006 - 8:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ditto,

Ned's is still around? I have all of their stuff on CD from back in the day.

Erikto

Post Number: 370
Posted From: 64.228.108.127
Posted on Thursday, May 18, 2006 - 1:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, Goat. Dunno why I mixed those two up..! I'm surprised you're familiar with The Haunted, they only recently came to my attention, and I'm from Montreal; I can drop names of Montreal music artists that nobody who isn't from there would know. On the other hand, I was also told the Haunted's '67 lp sells for hundreds of dollars. Makes a couple of bills for the Ugly Ducklings seem worth it!
Hi Superaygun, I might have jumped the gun about 6 Fanny lp's, I can only seem to locate 4, but those ladies were pretty cool. I played side 1 of "Mother's Pride", it reminds me of a guilty pleasure of mine, early Heart.
On the Windsor tip, I saw a record by a group called Windsor Tunnel. If memory serves, they had a Windsor address on the back cover, so it's not a case of the Bay City Rollers or Montreal (Salsoul disco act) type bands naming themselves after cities they aren't from. Any information of this band, Goat? Anyone?

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 5544
Posted From: 64.228.209.230
Posted on Thursday, May 18, 2006 - 8:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Erik, yes they were a local band, a freind of mine used to work with one of the members. I think they only ever released the one album.

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 599
Posted From: 69.212.169.194
Posted on Thursday, May 18, 2006 - 8:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Come Ons
Stars CD

Amazing!

(Message edited by east detroit on May 18, 2006)

Superaygun

Post Number: 460
Posted From: 65.196.52.227
Posted on Thursday, May 18, 2006 - 9:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

shame on you, Erikto...early Heart should never be anyone's GUILTY pleasure!! i saw the Wilson sisters live at Pine Knob several years ago, just them and a couple of guitars. it was AWESOME.

Erikto

Post Number: 371
Posted From: 64.228.108.86
Posted on Thursday, May 18, 2006 - 10:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, Superaygun. Maybe now I can throw on 'Dreamboat Annie' even when people are around! Thanks for the info, Andrew. I was advised the album was poppier and softer than I'd like, so I passed. Too bad, we (rekkid store man & myself) agreed vintage rock from across the Detroit River seemed so promising.

Toolbox
Username: Toolbox

Post Number: 909
Posted From: 66.184.29.148
Posted on Thursday, May 18, 2006 - 1:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kinky - A very alternative Latin funk/electronic band. Kind of a Santana meets The Crystal Method meets BB King.

Erikto

Post Number: 372
Posted From: 64.228.108.65
Posted on Saturday, May 20, 2006 - 4:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm just listening to a pile of records I got at a sale today. Any Detroiters familiar with Catfish? I got a spiffy album of theirs recorded live at the Eastown Theatre, and thought they were perhaps local. Also continued on my Canadian kick- currently listening to the excellent Mainline album. Also cooped a Perth County Conspiracy album along with a Canadian Talent Library Bluegrass album (saw a Jackie Mittoo lp on that label, it was more than I wanted to pay but I have a feeling it was still pretty cheap for something so rare by a big ticket artist). Also got a record by Dr Music, one by Brazil's Toquinho (live Montreux '81), Tico All Stars at the Village Gate vol3 (still missing volume 1), Puerto Rico 68 by Joe Loco, the Blues Busters on Montreal's Trans World label, Michigan & Smiley's Studio 1 lp 'Rub A Dub Style', the 2 Motherlode albums, Leo Acosta's "Boogaloo No.1", and tons of other stuff to keep me occupied. Also found a fairly cheap copy of the first Kool & The Gang album, but I'm already tempted to sell it to pay for the rest of what I bought.

Chemak
Username: Chemak

Post Number: 69
Posted From: 130.101.48.82
Posted on Sunday, May 21, 2006 - 9:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just picked this up:

Live at the Old Quarter - Townes Van Zandt

and damn if these aren't some great songs.

Douglasm

Post Number: 562
Posted on Sunday, May 21, 2006 - 10:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Would that be Bob "Catfish" Hodge's band from the early '70's? He's a Detroit native, and though I don't know much about the band itself, singer/songwriter/guitar player Hodge was still out there as of 5 years ago. His "Bluesbusters" LP's are pretty good.....

No reason to feel guilty about Heart. If you can find it, pick up The Lovemongers EP from about 10 years ago. Ann and Nancy do killer acoustic versions of "Papa Was A Rolling Stone" and "Battle Of Evermore" recorded live at a Seattle club date in 1991.

Superaygun

Post Number: 465
Posted on Monday, May 22, 2006 - 10:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yes, that version of "Evermore" is as classic (and VERY faithful to--i understand the ladies are big fans) as the original...

Boo
Username: Boo

Post Number: 132
Posted From: 63.117.185.99
Posted on Monday, May 22, 2006 - 5:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hmmm... is that the same version of "evermore" that turned up on the singles soundtrack way back when? i used to love that...

Douglasm

Post Number: 563
Posted on Monday, May 22, 2006 - 6:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wes, I believe so......

Heart made an appearance as "special guest vocalists" with The Funk Brothers in Seattle a couple years ago, and I was VERY dissapointed that they didn't do "Papa...." It's a hard EP to find, but then again, the club it was recorded at is no more, either....

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 198
Posted From: 4.229.141.49
Posted on Monday, May 22, 2006 - 7:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Music trivia: Sandy Denny of Fairport Convention sang on the original "Battle of Evermore". She is worth checking out if you don't know her stuff. Awesome voice.

Bongman
Username: Bongman

Post Number: 1088
Posted From: 198.111.56.128
Posted on Tuesday, May 23, 2006 - 7:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

9-29-71 Osaka, Japan...Led Zeppelin

5-10-06 Toronto, CN.....Pearl Jam

RHCP...Stadium Arcadium

Erikto

Post Number: 376
Posted From: 64.228.108.30
Posted on Wednesday, May 24, 2006 - 9:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mojo Magazine had a free cd a while ago featuring Zep influences, I highly recommend it to Zep fans. Page was a great guitar player, but after hearing early variations of cuts like "Black Mountain Side" it seems he had so very few original ideas. On their last American tour in 1977, Zep tried playing "Battle of Evermore" live, with Page joining Plant; ugh. That 9.29.71 gig was a hot one, though. I thought the band recorded this using multiple microphones on stage, making this one of the best '71 recordings. I'd like to hear the rest of the Toronto 71 soundboard if that's surfaced. About 40 minutes started making the rounds about 15 years ago.

Bongman

Post Number: 1091
Posted on Wednesday, May 24, 2006 - 11:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was actually John Paul Jones who tried to sing Sandy Denny's part on the 77' tour. He was playing mandolin at the same time, so we must cut him a little slack.

JPJ was the unheralded genius of the mighty Zep. Read this interesting article.
http://www.thecelebritycafe.co m/interviews/john_paul_jones.h tml

I wish he would write a book. It's amazing how some folks can make it through the hype in one piece.

Erikto

Post Number: 378
Posted From: 64.228.108.152
Posted on Monday, May 29, 2006 - 2:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just got a Sandy Denny cd from someone I gave it to at least a decade ago. There's a live boot of her recorded in Denver in 1973, from a radio broadcast (I think). My copy's really hissy and muffled, but since nobody else I know has it, I put it on a cdr along with a live Fairport broadcast from Amsterdam in 1968 (nice cover of a Leonard Cohen song- either "Suzanne" or "Bird On A Wire" if my mem'ry serves me). On a similar tip, I am playing the lp "Perth County Conspiracy Doesn't Exist". Mellow late night tunes.
Thanks for the clarification on JPJ's vocals, Bongman. I suppose I gave him too much credit for not playing wasted like Jimmy Page.

Pdtpuck
Username: Pdtpuck

Post Number: 56
Posted From: 208.251.168.194
Posted on Tuesday, June 13, 2006 - 6:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

just came across this thread.....

The Hellacopters - Grande Rock
Backyard Babies - People Like People Like People Like Us
Kiss - Destroyer
Killswicth Engage - The End of Heartache
Gluecifer - Automatic Thrill
Cheap Trick - Dream Police
Slayer - "Cult" single

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 817
Posted From: 4.229.54.158
Posted on Wednesday, June 14, 2006 - 8:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Beck Bogert and Appice - "Superstition" and "Lady"

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 897
Posted From: 68.60.177.56
Posted on Wednesday, June 14, 2006 - 10:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gorillaz - Demon Days

Toolbox

Post Number: 928
Posted on Wednesday, June 14, 2006 - 12:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Afrika Bambaataa & Soulsonic Force - Planet Rock

Aiw

Post Number: 5623
Posted From: 209.216.150.127
Posted on Wednesday, June 14, 2006 - 2:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hooverphonic - No more sweet music

Pam

Post Number: 247
Posted From: 4.229.90.242
Posted on Wednesday, June 14, 2006 - 6:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bill Monroe and his Bluegrass Boys- The Early Years 1940-1947

Super_d
Username: Super_d

Post Number: 913
Posted From: 69.220.232.219
Posted on Wednesday, June 14, 2006 - 10:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marley Marl Live Mix 1986 WBLS(New York City)
on TDK High Resolution Cassette.

super d(motordetroit)

(Message edited by super_d on June 14, 2006)

Superaygun

Post Number: 498
Posted on Thursday, June 15, 2006 - 9:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wow! you guys have kept this thread alive! hooray for the love of music...
these days it's Cat Power, Bill Nelson's Quit Dreaming etc. album, and the new Hot Chip record for me.

Pdtpuck

Post Number: 60
Posted on Friday, June 16, 2006 - 3:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

new Danko Jones-Sleep is the Enemy
Tomahawk-Mit Gas
Charlie Hunter-S/T
Captain Beyond-Sufficiently Breathless

Headskeleton
Username: Headskeleton

Post Number: 1
Posted From: 64.12.116.204
Posted on Wednesday, June 21, 2006 - 2:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Todd Rundgren - Todd
The Flaming Lips - At War With The Mystics

Dabirch
Username: Dabirch

Post Number: 1599
Posted From: 208.44.117.10
Posted on Wednesday, June 21, 2006 - 8:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Porcupine Tree -- Signify
Spock's Beard -- Day For Night

(A little neo-prog for a gloomy Wednesday morning)

Erikto

Post Number: 384
Posted From: 64.228.108.63
Posted on Wednesday, June 21, 2006 - 9:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Currently playing Springsteen at Cobo Hall from October '04, I had a good time at this concert... a friend caught him near Cleveland and near Detroit this past weekend and said it's a good tour, but with hardly any set list changes.

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 949
Posted on Wednesday, June 21, 2006 - 12:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was an incredible show. We've got the Seeger Sessions from Oslo on right now!

God Bless Backstreets

Toolbox

Post Number: 933
Posted on Wednesday, June 21, 2006 - 12:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Probot, a Dave Grohl project. It is very metal featuring Lemmy, Cronos, Max Cavalera and King Diamond.

Mauser765

Post Number: 835
Posted From: 4.229.123.41
Posted on Wednesday, June 21, 2006 - 5:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Leo Kottke/Mike Gordon doing Aerosmiths "Sweet Emotion"

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 960
Posted on Thursday, June 22, 2006 - 3:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Listened to a Rhinocast podcast tonight (#39) that has a long rant about Bob Seeger and "Back in 72". Very funny hearing an outsider talk about Seeger.

Erikto

Post Number: 385
Posted From: 64.228.108.6
Posted on Thursday, June 22, 2006 - 9:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I haven't checked out Backstreets in a long time. I read on Soulfuldetroit's forum that youtube currently has a clip of Bob Segar performing 'Rambling Gambling Man' back in the proverbial day... there's a great show floating around, I wish my copy sounded better, from a show in Schaumberg IL in 1975, I highly recommend it. Currently listening to Kitchener Ontario's own Charity Brown with one of my favourite Canadian disco tracks, "Forecast". Belle Epoque's "Miss Broadway" comes close for me, but this is a fun track not too many people are hip to... off to work now...

Pam

Post Number: 293
Posted From: 67.107.47.65
Posted on Tuesday, July 11, 2006 - 10:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Break out Piper at the Gates of Dawn, Syd Barrett has passed away:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/200 60711/ap_on_en_mu/obit_barrett

(Message edited by Pam on July 11, 2006)

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1167
Posted From: 198.208.159.18
Posted on Tuesday, July 11, 2006 - 12:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the wildbunch: don't fear the robots (live at the gold dollar)

"this is a song of personal and political action and was writen especially....for, you."

Toolbox

Post Number: 941
Posted on Tuesday, July 11, 2006 - 12:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Damned - Alone Again Or... A cover of the Arthur Lee and Love song.

Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1169
Posted on Tuesday, July 11, 2006 - 2:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

l'spaerow (s/t album)

Machoken
Username: Machoken

Post Number: 1394
Posted From: 207.145.38.104
Posted on Tuesday, July 11, 2006 - 3:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Massive Attack - Teardrop

Part of my collection I've been building from extracts of podcasts of Alternate Take, includes a bunch of Johnny Cash, Bruce Springsteen (yes, the Seeger sessions are great!), Lisa Germano, Phoenix, Mojave 3, Spoon, Portishead, and The Ditty Bops. I'm putting many of these on my shopping list...

(Message edited by machoken on July 11, 2006)

7even
Username: 7even

Post Number: 84
Posted From: 198.109.26.19
Posted on Tuesday, July 11, 2006 - 10:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cold - 13 Ways to Bleed on Stage
^It is not as hardcore as the album title sounds.

Mudvayne - L.D.50
^It is hardcore rock.

Toolbox

Post Number: 943
Posted on Wednesday, July 12, 2006 - 1:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

7even

Mudvayne - L.D.50
^It is hardcore rock.

Might be hardcore to you bit it's not. More like cartoon metal.

HC would be bands like - The Necros, Snapcase, Sick Of It All, Bad Brains and Negative Approach.

Pdtpuck

Post Number: 120
Posted on Saturday, July 15, 2006 - 4:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bad Religion - No Control
AC/DC - Highway to Hell
The Distillers - Sing Sing Death House
Backyard Babies - People Like People Like People Like Us

Toolbox

Post Number: 947
Posted From: 69.14.125.129
Posted on Saturday, July 15, 2006 - 8:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Social Distortion - Sex, Love and Rock 'n' Roll

Mauser765

Post Number: 875
Posted From: 4.229.24.86
Posted on Saturday, July 15, 2006 - 11:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sister Wynona Carr:

"Dragnet for Jesus", "15 Rounds for Jesus"

Recorded in Detroit at United Sound, written and arranged by Wynona.

"Our Father"

Recorded live at New Bethel Baptist Church, with a juvenile Aretha Franklin sitting in the audience -learning how its DONE. This performance is chilling to the bone, inspite a 10 second erasure in the middle of the recording.

Sister Wynona ROCKS

Dabirch

Post Number: 1681
Posted on Monday, July 17, 2006 - 3:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Social Distortion - Sex, Love and Rock 'n' Roll

What you don't get enough of it at the Well?

Dabirch

Post Number: 1682
Posted on Monday, July 17, 2006 - 3:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wishbone Ash (1st LP), Spooky Tooth (Spooky Two), Gong (Expresso II), and Trapeze (Medusa).

A crazy, proggy, jammy, jazzy, and occassionally long-winded mix for this balmy Monday afternoon.

Erikto

Post Number: 390
Posted From: 64.228.108.128
Posted on Monday, July 17, 2006 - 5:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

James Brown "The Payback" from a 1976 episode of Soul Train from a dvd a pal just made for me... "WHOOOO-EEEEE!"

7even
Username: 7even

Post Number: 89
Posted From: 198.109.26.18
Posted on Monday, July 17, 2006 - 7:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Toolbox

Yes, I agree. I was kind of using the word hardcore to show that it is a little harder then what I thought most people would listen to on the forum.

A better word(s) would have been alternative metal I guess.

Dabirch

Post Number: 1683
Posted on Tuesday, July 18, 2006 - 11:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Camel (Echoes:the retrospective); Gentle Giant (Gentle Giant); Chocolate Watchband (Get Away); Savoy Brown (Getting to the Point) and Soft Machine (Man in a deaf Corner).

Enough music to shuffle my way at least through the mid afternoon.

Aiw

Post Number: 5703
Posted on Tuesday, July 18, 2006 - 11:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I caught Savoy Brown live probably about 10 years ago... Awesome.

Dabirch

Post Number: 1684
Posted on Tuesday, July 18, 2006 - 11:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Crazy thing is they (well at least Kim Simmonds)are still kicking out some great music on a regular basis after all these years.

Always a great show.

Jfre66_77
Username: Jfre66_77

Post Number: 52
Posted From: 12.15.1.161
Posted on Tuesday, July 18, 2006 - 12:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pearljam - Rearview Mirror

Aiw

Post Number: 5704
Posted on Tuesday, July 18, 2006 - 12:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kim Simmonds can still rock. Anyone who hasn't seen them live should really check them out next time they are in the area. One of the legendary rockin' blues bands.

Jimg
Username: Jimg

Post Number: 655
Posted From: 205.188.116.137
Posted on Tuesday, July 18, 2006 - 5:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tom Archia, 1947-48...Bop Culture...Wes Montgomery, Full House w/ Johnny Griffin...NRBQ, Message For The Mess Age

Douglasm

Post Number: 612
Posted on Saturday, July 22, 2006 - 10:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good piece of work, that Gill Scott-Heron thing.

As to NRBQ, I saw them once, a poorly billed show that had them open for The Stooges at the Birmingham Palladium. If you can find it, the original 1969 NRBQ Columbia LP was released on CD about 10 years ago. Grab it. Also worth looking for is NRBQ's "She Sings, They Play" with the late Skeeter Davis who was Q Bass player Joey Spampinato's wife. What they do to "Some Day My Prince Will Come" is worth the price of admission......

Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1185
Posted From: 69.136.142.0
Posted on Saturday, July 22, 2006 - 10:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

led zeppelin: in my time of dying

Jimg

Post Number: 662
Posted From: 205.188.116.137
Posted on Saturday, July 22, 2006 - 10:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I bet it is, Douglasm. Terry Adams is a bad mutha on the ol' keyboard...love when they dip into Monk's music, Terry really has a feeling for it. Great band.

Eastside
Username: Eastside

Post Number: 905
Posted From: 68.42.171.216
Posted on Sunday, July 23, 2006 - 12:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Willie Hutch; The Mack

Pdtpuck

Post Number: 133
Posted on Monday, July 24, 2006 - 4:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Frank Zappa - apostrophe (')
Over-Nite Sensation
Sheik Yer Bouti

Bongman

Post Number: 1197
Posted on Monday, July 24, 2006 - 12:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Last nite's selections....

Moody Blues...."Days of Future Passed" (breathe deep the gathering gloom...)

Rush....1978 Cobo Arena show

Neil Young..."Tonite's The Night" (after the beer kicked in)

Superaygun

Post Number: 517
Posted on Tuesday, July 25, 2006 - 9:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

<---contiunes to be impressed that you guys have kept this going. thanks for sharing!

Dabirch

Post Number: 1697
Posted on Tuesday, July 25, 2006 - 12:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Southern Culture on the Skids - Doublewide and Live.

Just picked it up. Really guite an unbelievable album.

Any SCOTS fans, I would highly, highly recommend it.

Also, they will be playing with the Paybacks in LA later this summer, so if there are any transplants are out there, it should be a hell of a show.

Pdtpuck

Post Number: 143
Posted on Wednesday, July 26, 2006 - 2:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

SCOTS-Dirt Track Date is a highly under-rated album, even if you take "Camel Walk" off (although not a bad song!)

and NO Barrett-era Floyd, either!

(lol - see "Barrett Dies" thread in non-detroit issues.......)

Pam

Post Number: 310
Posted From: 4.229.81.44
Posted on Wednesday, July 26, 2006 - 5:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

and NO Barrett-era Floyd, either!

(lol - see "Barrett Dies" thread in non-detroit issues.......)

Funny, that is what I listened to last night after reading that thread. :-)

Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1196
Posted on Wednesday, July 26, 2006 - 8:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

action patrol: 1993-1996 On patrol (anthology)

Toolbox

Post Number: 951
Posted on Wednesday, July 26, 2006 - 8:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All - Shereen

Sumotect
Username: Sumotect

Post Number: 219
Posted From: 64.243.32.9
Posted on Wednesday, July 26, 2006 - 12:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Who: "Live at Leeds"

Dabirch

Post Number: 1707
Posted on Wednesday, July 26, 2006 - 1:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Cramps - Rockinnreelininauklandnewzeala nd
Nashville Pussy - Get Some
Dick Dale - Greatest Hits

Alobar
Username: Alobar

Post Number: 115
Posted From: 198.208.251.23
Posted on Wednesday, July 26, 2006 - 3:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I saw someone on here mention the Fiery Furnaces so I thought I would post the following link.

Free download, Live FF from D.C. about a month ago. Pretty good show, still bummed that I missed them when they were here recently.

http://www.npr.org/templates/s tory/story.php?storyId=5515829

Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1198
Posted on Thursday, July 27, 2006 - 10:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the bronx: II

Dabirch

Post Number: 1720
Posted on Thursday, July 27, 2006 - 10:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Peter Green: Man of the World
John Mayall: Crusade
Paul Butterfiled: The Resurrection of Pigboy Crabshow

Toolbox

Post Number: 952
Posted on Thursday, July 27, 2006 - 12:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Moev - Obituary Column (Ha)

Pam

Post Number: 319
Posted From: 4.229.81.79
Posted on Thursday, July 27, 2006 - 8:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Basement Tapes-- Bob Dylan and the Band

Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1201
Posted on Friday, July 28, 2006 - 9:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

metroschifter: strawberries: cover of "my old kentucky home"

Paulc
Username: Paulc

Post Number: 68
Posted From: 159.53.110.143
Posted on Friday, July 28, 2006 - 4:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In today's rotation - in no particular order:

Buzzcocks - "Flat-Pack Philosophy"
Elvis Costello and the Attractions - "Armed Forces"
The Hentchmen - "Motorvatin'"
Holly Golightly - "Serial Girlfriend"
X - "Wild Gift"
Stiff Little Fingers - "Inflammable Material"

Cheers.

Erikto

Post Number: 402
Posted From: 64.228.108.10
Posted on Saturday, July 29, 2006 - 5:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I got a spiffy punk-ish lp yesterday in Hamilton (Ontario)- Various artists, "Live at the Rat" (Rat Records) double lp from the legendary Boston punk rock venue. Fun stuff! Also got a record that might be my biggest ticket vinyl find ever, unless it's a reissue. Some re-issues have the same thick wax, and darker, thicker cardboard for the lp cover as the original. I thought the cover looked promising and I asked them to throw on "Spacing Out" by The Invaders and I loved it. I am only concerned about it's "original pressing" status because I looked for info on-line and all anybody seemed to know for sure was that this is one funky lp which normally costs a bundle- which means I will make a cdr of it, rather than bring it to the various places where I sometimes play records for people.

Dabirch

Post Number: 1755
Posted on Wednesday, August 02, 2006 - 2:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is just an Alejandro Escovedo type of day today:

Burbounitis Blues, Thirteen Years, With These Hands, By the Hand of the Father, and the new one -- the Boxing Mirror.

It has beena a nice couple of hours.

(Message edited by dabirch on August 02, 2006)

Superaygun

Post Number: 518
Posted on Monday, August 07, 2006 - 9:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

this week's special:
Thom Yorke, The Eraser
over and over and over again.

Dabirch

Post Number: 1778
Posted on Monday, August 07, 2006 - 10:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Heading out to SoCal next week, so it looks like a surfabilly-esque week for me.

Currently playing:

Tiger Army, Tiger Army
The Bombora's, Swingin' Singles
Buck Naked and the Bare Bottom Boys, Buck Naked and the Bare Bottom Boys
HiFi and the Roadburners, Live in Fear City
Los Straighjackets - The utterly fantastic and totally unbelievable sounds of...los straightjackets

Goat

Post Number: 8686
Posted From: 70.53.96.174
Posted on Monday, August 07, 2006 - 2:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Suicide - various

What a great band they were...

FYI: Death From Above 1979 are now defunct (actually happened about 1 year ago but they wanted to finsih recording I believe).

Aiw

Post Number: 5746
Posted From: 67.70.118.252
Posted on Monday, August 07, 2006 - 2:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fired up today is the Kinks - 25 years- The Ultimate Collection.

Sharmaal
Username: Sharmaal

Post Number: 884
Posted From: 68.60.139.244
Posted on Monday, August 07, 2006 - 6:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The new Killer's Song (When you were young). Also, Hang 'Em High by Booker T. and the MGs.

Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1225
Posted on Tuesday, August 08, 2006 - 9:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds: Abatoir Blues/ the Lyre of Orpheus (double disk set)

Douglasm

Post Number: 619
Posted on Tuesday, August 08, 2006 - 2:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Da Capo" and "Forever Changes" -- Love
RIP, Arthur....

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 205
Posted From: 68.60.181.41
Posted on Tuesday, August 08, 2006 - 6:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Absolute Torch and Twang - k.d.lang

what a voice!

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 1486
Posted From: 69.14.122.57
Posted on Tuesday, August 08, 2006 - 7:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gaelic Storm's just-released CD Bring Your Wellies

Apparently doing well on the Billboard charts...
#2 Billboard World Music Chart
#1 Billboard Heatseeker East North Central Chart
#8 Billboard Heatseeker North East Chart
#16 Billboard Top Internet Sales Chart (Nelly Furtado is #17)
#31 Billboard Independent Album Chart
#32 Billboard Heatseeker Chart

We had a great time seeing them last Thursday at The Ark in Ann Arbor where they celebrated their new CD and raised funds for the Hospice of Michigan. Looking forward to their next visit to the Magic Bag.

Mauser765

Post Number: 906
Posted From: 4.229.93.121
Posted on Tuesday, August 08, 2006 - 8:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fiona Apple - "limp", "fast as you can".

Crazy as a shithouse rat, but she still rocks it.

Pam

Post Number: 349
Posted From: 4.229.102.27
Posted on Thursday, August 10, 2006 - 7:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jim and Jennie and the Pinetops-various

Did anybody else attend their show at the Lager House last week? Fun show.

Dabirch

Post Number: 1795
Posted on Friday, August 11, 2006 - 10:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A raucous Friday morning -- well rested and looking forward to beautiful weekend:

The Gories -- Outta Here
Blacktop -- I got a bad feeling about this
Soledad Brothers - The hardest walk
The Oblivians - Soul Food

Pdtpuck

Post Number: 166
Posted on Saturday, August 12, 2006 - 2:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Slayer-Christ Illusion
American Heartbreak-S/T (more hooks than a charter fishing boat!!!)
Moby Grape-Vintage (2CD set-OOP)
Monster Magnet-Powertrip

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 681
Posted From: 66.94.74.82
Posted on Saturday, August 12, 2006 - 10:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Roadhouse Gamblers

Just heard them last night with X and Rollins Band in Cleveland.

Steelworker
Username: Steelworker

Post Number: 711
Posted From: 75.10.1.205
Posted on Sunday, August 13, 2006 - 5:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thom Yorke(he is a genius) -Eraser , andrew bird - weather systems, Life Aquatic Soundtrack(mainly Seu Jorge)

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 329
Posted From: 70.141.76.207
Posted on Monday, August 14, 2006 - 2:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Charles Mingus' "Ah Um." Columbia Legacy remaster has wonderful sound, plus four previously unissued pieces. Sublime.

Wfw
Username: Wfw

Post Number: 163
Posted From: 207.107.50.100
Posted on Tuesday, August 15, 2006 - 7:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Congos - Heart of the Congos
Rahsaan Roland Kirk - The Inflated Tear
The Sadies - Favourite Colours
Love - Four Sail

Pdtpuck

Post Number: 178
Posted on Sunday, August 20, 2006 - 1:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

MC5-Kick Out The Jams
Back In The U.S.A.
High Time
(Yeah, on an MC5 kick!)
Radiohead-Amnesiac

Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1251
Posted From: 69.136.142.0
Posted on Monday, August 21, 2006 - 7:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

converge: petitioning the empty sky (album)

Douglasm

Post Number: 632
Posted on Monday, August 21, 2006 - 8:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Spanky And Our Gang - Anything You Choose b/w Without Rhyme Or Reason.

Love the harmony......

Pdtpuck

Post Number: 183
Posted on Tuesday, August 22, 2006 - 2:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Supersuckers-Paid E.P.
Hardcore Superstar-S/T
Social Distortion-Sex, Love, & Rock-n-Roll
Captain Beyond-Sufficiently Breathless

Superaygun

Post Number: 519
Posted on Thursday, August 24, 2006 - 9:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Townes Van Zandt Anthology 1968-1979 (did anyone else catch the excellent documentary Sundance has been showing on Townes?) and Black Sabbath's Heaven and Hell...

don't ask...

Bongman

Post Number: 1230
Posted on Thursday, August 24, 2006 - 9:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Flashback !

Kpalonis
Username: Kpalonis

Post Number: 341
Posted From: 207.148.205.178
Posted on Monday, August 28, 2006 - 7:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

sublime - 40oz. to freedom
the virgin suicides soundtrack (air)
radiohead - ok computer
imogen heap - speak for yourself

(that's my current rotation..for today at least)

oh! i also have an old WABX shirt from my dad. i love it! :-)

(Message edited by kpalonis on August 28, 2006)

Jimg

Post Number: 703
Posted From: 152.163.100.8
Posted on Monday, August 28, 2006 - 9:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Ptah the El Daoud" Alice Coltrane, who turned 69 yesterday...another great Det musician...
"Bud Powell", European gigs on DVD for the first time...what a gas to see Bud 'up close and personal'

Erikto

Post Number: 433
Posted From: 64.228.108.33
Posted on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 12:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Playing a Detroit album myself, just got the first 8th Day lp today... nice! I only had a 7" of "See The Light" before that. Now John Stewart's starting so I'll turn up the teevee instead...

Mauser765

Post Number: 940
Posted From: 4.229.24.118
Posted on Sunday, September 03, 2006 - 7:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Funkadelic 'Maggot Brain' while Im working on tha house.

Pam

Post Number: 435
Posted From: 4.229.12.206
Posted on Sunday, September 03, 2006 - 9:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Sadies- In Concert

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 389
Posted on Monday, September 04, 2006 - 2:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hard-Fi - Stars of CCTV

Toolbox

Post Number: 980
Posted From: 69.14.126.173
Posted on Monday, September 04, 2006 - 10:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Went to a show at the Stick last night to see Radio Birdman
Mudhoney
Easy Action
The Dirtbombs

Was a damn good show.

Erikto

Post Number: 440
Posted From: 64.228.108.104
Posted on Tuesday, September 05, 2006 - 10:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hm, I wander if I slept on Radio Birdman in my town? The last punk-y thing I went to were fellow Australians The Saints, I have had a lean summer for concerts (Joe Bataan, Seu Jorge, Amadou et Mariam, a few others) and now summer's about done, yikes... glad to see Pam has good taste and digs Toronto's Sadies. I thought they might have stopped touring the USA? On that tip, are there any Good Brothers fans here? Dallas Good's dad and uncles. They sound a little like Hank Williams II, at least on the 1980 double live album I have. Currently listening to news. Exciting, eh?

Toolbox

Post Number: 981
Posted From: 69.14.126.173
Posted on Tuesday, September 05, 2006 - 11:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Erik
Only 5 US dates on the tour.

Pam

Post Number: 438
Posted From: 4.229.12.42
Posted on Wednesday, September 06, 2006 - 5:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Pam has good taste and digs Toronto's Sadies. I thought they might have stopped touring the USA? On that tip, are there any Good Brothers fans here? Dallas Good's dad and uncles. They sound a little like Hank Williams II, at least on the 1980 double live album I have. Currently listening to news. Exciting, eh?

Sadies coming to Detroit in a few weeks. (Lager House). The elder Goods guest star on the Sadies In Concert cd so that's the first I heard of them. Which one is their Dad?

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 407
Posted on Wednesday, September 06, 2006 - 3:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had the Sadies live CD in my hands aat work the other day, and I put it back down. What the heck was I thinking?

Erikto

Post Number: 445
Posted From: 64.228.108.115
Posted on Sunday, September 10, 2006 - 2:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Damn, I missed 'em this weekend (other stuff going on), but I'm glad the Sadies still tour, I remember reading about some difficulties they'd experienced in the States on a long haul tour a few years ago. Not sure which senior Good is Dallas' father (Bruce? -I was asked to fill in on the radio yesterday and I used to opportunity to play "Hot Knife Boogie" from the double live album (Good Bros, not Sadies). Not sure if that's become a Canadian-only hobby in this day and age...

Pam

Post Number: 450
Posted From: 4.229.45.174
Posted on Sunday, September 10, 2006 - 4:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Not sure which senior Good is Dallas' father (Bruce?

I did some more reading on the family and that is correct.

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 436
Posted on Sunday, September 10, 2006 - 4:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Modern Times" - Bob Dylan

Instant classic. It's really astounding how relavant and beautiful this is.

Superaygun

Post Number: 520
Posted on Tuesday, September 12, 2006 - 8:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

damn, this is still here!?

i agree, Redfordette. i don't usually pay too much attention to new Dylan, but i didn't have a choice after hearing Modern Times.

i can't stop listening to The Ex after seeing them in Chicago over the weekend. holy shit, were they great!

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 514
Posted on Wednesday, September 20, 2006 - 3:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I found (on iTunes) a series of podcasts called The Folkways Collection - 27 radio shows about Moses Asch and the Folksways record label. Woody Guthrie, Pete Seeger, Leadbelly, the Blues, music of the Civil Rights Movement, spoken word collections, a series called Subterranean Homesick Blues about the Village and the folk movement. Intensely interesting, free! Made for Canadian Public Radio.

Douglasm

Post Number: 670
Posted on Wednesday, September 20, 2006 - 9:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Who hosted them, Oscar Brand?

For some reason some Jan and Dean popped into my record collection last trip to the used store, then surf music showed up on one of my pandora channels, so I'm on a twangy guitar kick right now. Duo-Tones, Chantays, Rip Chords and the like.....

Erikto

Post Number: 453
Posted on Wednesday, September 20, 2006 - 10:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Heh, I'm on Canadian radio and I play stuff from a few of those Smithsonian-Folkways albums in my collection, any Detroiters familiar with the 'Songs of the Great Lakes' lp? I am intrigued by Oldrefordette's broadcast lp's, I always have my eye out for those sorts of oddities. I have a 1968 Detroit lp which is an album a narration of a year in the life of Detroit with snippets of speaches and the like. I bought it expecting to hear something like the "Cruisin'" series but from Detroit radio in 1968, but it's more like a self conscious time capsule. Right now I am listening to news, but 2 cd's I have had on regularly for the last 2 days are a compilation of the Bandit Records label (Chicago soul, I really love some tracks on here, the story behind the man (Arrow Brown) and his label is pretty creepy but they made some good records to be sure...) -also, mebbe because I missed Roger Waters (I think), I pulled out 1 of my Floyd cdr's, one I made from a 2nd generation cassette of a Floyd show from Germany on the spring '72 tour, one of the last non-Dark Side gigs they played, as I think they played the whole album from the fall '72 tour onwards. If either Roger or his ex-band mates had balls they'd play Atom Heart Mother again. Worked with Echoes on the 87 tour until they replaced it with (yawn) "Shine On, Parts 1 to 5"...
I played quite a bit of the Shoshtokovich (Sp?!?) opera of MacBeth with some crazy Russian singing last night, far out stuff... now that I think about it I followed that with one of the weirder passages on the Chicago 5 lp box set "Live st Carnegie Hall" and was surprised at how well they went together! Maybe it's just me... maybe that won't matter and I'll play the same combo on my next radio show...

Pdtpuck

Post Number: 210
Posted on Saturday, September 23, 2006 - 1:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Exodus-Shovel-Headed Kill Machine
Charlie Hunter-S/T
Isle of Q-S/T
Greg Graffin-Cold as the Clay

Pam

Post Number: 508
Posted on Saturday, September 23, 2006 - 7:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Erikto, Sadies rocked the Lager House last night. Did anyone else go?

Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1299
Posted on Saturday, September 23, 2006 - 7:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

chamberlain: exit 263

quote:

"Exit 263 is a near-perfect effort that reaches back beyond Nebraska to the Springsteen of Born to Run and Darkness on the Edge of Town to the parched, pleading soul of Wilson Pickett and Sam and Dave. It helps that singer David Moore bears a muscular resemblance to the Boss, and that he's got the thematic skills to back it up."
Carly Carioli / CMJ New Music Monthly - April 2001

Erikto

Post Number: 465
Posted on Saturday, October 14, 2006 - 9:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Glad the Sadies were sounding good, I thought I'd mention a couple of things Detroit-concert related and ask a question or 2-
Has anyone heard a Doors double live cd listed as Cobo Hall '70? It's a surprisingly good and long show, and sounds really good if a little bit tinny.
A firned of mine passed me a few Stones cd's that are supposed to be significant improvements over the previously circulating versions of some shows, from the 69 tour, and 1 is Olympia Stadium- I have yet to compare it to my tape of the vinyl double album, but if memory serves there is some audience chatter I don't remember from the tape, so I'm wondering if two shows were played in Detroit in 1969? There has been some confusion about this, as there are several cities where they played two shows in one night. Just wondering...

Pam

Post Number: 747
Posted on Monday, December 11, 2006 - 6:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gram Parsons- GP and Grievous Angel

Neilr
Username: Neilr

Post Number: 402
Posted on Monday, December 11, 2006 - 6:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In my car, for the past week, the sound track of Grey Gardens, the Musical.

Douglasm

Post Number: 727
Posted on Monday, December 11, 2006 - 7:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pam....
....what Parsons and Emmylou Harris do to "Love Hearts" on Grievous Angel puts any other version to shame. Played it about 18 months ago on a little country station I was working at and the phones just lit up like a Christmas Tree.

Recently...
"The Mamas And The Papas", by, well if you can't guess, you've got a problem. "Midnight Voyage" led me back there.

"Ellis Island", the 1968 LP by the Toronto group The Paupers.

Suprised and pleased this thread is still active.

Patrick

Post Number: 3740
Posted on Monday, December 11, 2006 - 9:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Alphonse Mouzon with Tommy Bolin

Robin Trower's bridge of sighs...

Pam

Post Number: 749
Posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 7:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Douglasm- Have you seen the recent Gram Parsons documentary, Fallen Angel? I just watched the DVD over the weekend which inspired me to get out some of his stuff.

Erikto

Post Number: 491
Posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 4:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, another fan of The Paupers' "Ellis Island" album. I like it better than their first l.p. I think they went on to form the core of Lighthouse, perhaps? I've been pulling out more albums I associate with winter (for no rational reason), like Funkadelic's "America Eats Its Young"...

Douglasm

Post Number: 728
Posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 3:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe one or two of The Paupers went to Lighthouse. I know another joined Janis Joplin's Kosmic Blues Band.....

Dannaroo
Username: Dannaroo

Post Number: 21
Posted on Thursday, December 14, 2006 - 2:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lately I have been in love Antony and the Johnsons "I am a Bird Now" from 2005. I don't know how I overlooked its greatness last year.

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 886
Posted on Friday, December 15, 2006 - 1:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tony Joe White - Uncovered

goregous stuff

Goat

Post Number: 9049
Posted on Friday, December 15, 2006 - 4:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

New Order - compilation with a great mix of Joy Division.

Douglasm

Post Number: 730
Posted on Friday, December 15, 2006 - 7:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Currently residing in my CD player is the latest MOJO CD (Dec. 2006) "The Who Jukebox". Martha a/t Vandella, Tops, Marvin Gaye, Tim Harden, Band, Jimmy Read, Etta James, Stanley Brothers and more. Great CD.

Pam

Post Number: 759
Posted on Friday, December 15, 2006 - 8:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On Yoolis Night, Medieval Carols and Motets-Anonymous 4

Qweek
Username: Qweek

Post Number: 100
Posted on Saturday, December 16, 2006 - 8:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Beatles "LOVE". Just picked it up last night for $9.99 at Best Buy, would make a great gift for any Beatles fan in your life.

Jimg

Post Number: 749
Posted on Saturday, December 16, 2006 - 9:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Erik, was at the Stones Det show and if memory serves there was one appearance that year.
If they played Det twice I'm sure I would remember, would have been a 'big deal'. I thought they played at Cobo, not Olympia, but could be mistaken. I do remember a quote from Jagger in the Fifth Estate: "We didn't really get it on until Detroit", which made all of us feel good...

Bongman

Post Number: 1360
Posted on Monday, December 18, 2006 - 8:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Led Zeppelin....1969 Whiskey A Go Go show !

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 1003
Posted on Monday, December 18, 2006 - 1:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Johnny Cash, 16 biggest hits

Qweek
Username: Qweek

Post Number: 102
Posted on Monday, December 18, 2006 - 10:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bob Dylan "Blood on the Tracks"
David Bowie "Buddha of Suburbia"

Dannaroo
Username: Dannaroo

Post Number: 24
Posted on Wednesday, December 20, 2006 - 4:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Mountain Goats - "The Coroner's Gambit"

Toolbox

Post Number: 1016
Posted on Friday, December 22, 2006 - 1:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Downset - Do We Speak a Dead Language
Snapcase - Progression Through Unlearning
Killing Joke- Laugh I Nearly Bought One

Erikto

Post Number: 498
Posted on Monday, January 01, 2007 - 6:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hm, I wonder how that Zep at the Whiskey is... I only ever listen to '69-'70 Zep anymore, and I don't even listen to much of that anymore either. That first tour was a smoker, though....
Tonight I will be playing music for others to listen to. If you're reading and bored on Monday January 1/07 between 8 and 10 pm feel free/ invited/ encouraged to listen to a variety of fun toones (heavy on the recently departed James Brown) at www.ciut.fm

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 967
Posted on Saturday, January 06, 2007 - 8:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Boys and Girls In America - Hold Steady

Pam

Post Number: 834
Posted on Saturday, January 06, 2007 - 8:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sharon Tandy- You Gotta Believe it's Sharon Tandy

Ravine

Post Number: 482
Posted on Saturday, January 06, 2007 - 9:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Charlie Parker, on the way in to work this morning, tooling down Grand River at 6:30 AM.

Jimg

Post Number: 759
Posted on Saturday, January 06, 2007 - 11:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Battle of Hastings Street", a compilation of JVB material...many unissued cuts. Brilliant.

Ravine, the Dial sessions perhaps?

Mayor_sekou
Username: Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 380
Posted on Sunday, January 07, 2007 - 7:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JDilla - "The Shining" and "Donuts" , two great cd's from the late Detroit producer.

(Message edited by mayor_sekou on January 07, 2007)

Ravine

Post Number: 489
Posted on Monday, January 08, 2007 - 7:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jimg, the Parker stuff was from a 2-CD package called "Yardbird Suite," issued about ten years ago. A broad overview of Parker; I imagine that some of it is from Dial recordings. I wish I could tell you more, but I borrowed a copy, duped it, and now have only the music, no printed material from the package. The re-mastering job was handled very deftly. The sound is about as good as possible for something so old.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.