Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » Old Fort Wayne « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Talleman1
Username: Talleman1

Post Number: 5
Posted From: 69.245.81.70
Posted on Sunday, June 18, 2006 - 8:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fort Wayne is open and ready for tours. It has a great architecture and many underground passages. A large Stone Barracks and other building on the site. It sits off of livernois and Jefferson. The Fort is open satudays and Sundays from 10-5 and 11-4 sun. We are open every weekend till labor day. July 8th is Civil war days do come down and see. Restoration but the city, Wayne county parks and rec and Vollunteers have been helping restore this 1845 Fort. Contact me for more info. Thomas

Kimmiann
Username: Kimmiann

Post Number: 51
Posted From: 155.139.50.15
Posted on Monday, June 19, 2006 - 12:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Contact you how? My question is this, what special events are occuring for Civil War day? Is parking still $5.00? Is the fort itself still free? Thanks for the info.

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 2719
Posted From: 66.167.210.44
Posted on Monday, June 19, 2006 - 5:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great news Talleman1; thanks for the update and welcome to the forum.

Talleman1

Post Number: 9
Posted on Thursday, June 22, 2006 - 11:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok here is the Scoop on the events:
Parking $5 Tours guided $3 and yeah all the rest is free. Get ahold of me at talleman1@yahoo.com. Civil war days off reecreated battles of our own civilwar.
Thanks
Thomas

Kimmiann
Username: Kimmiann

Post Number: 56
Posted From: 155.139.50.15
Posted on Thursday, June 22, 2006 - 3:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, Talleman1, I'm marking my calendar, it sounds like fun!

P.S. Please excuse my rudeness, welcome to the forum!

Talleman1

Post Number: 10
Posted on Wednesday, June 28, 2006 - 8:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Fort is useful to the community but needs help from you. The history of the site has great potential for Tourism in our city. Detroit needs to connect the Fort to the river walk and greenways projects.

Solarflare
Username: Solarflare

Post Number: 447
Posted From: 63.69.106.3
Posted on Wednesday, June 28, 2006 - 10:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll be sure to come down again. Love old Fort Wayne...
I helped out EMU Historic Pres on an Officers Row house they worked on a couple years back.

Is there a Foundation in place for any kind of fund-raising? Is there a 501(c)3 in place?

If you go, don't forget to stop by the National Museum of the Tuskegee Airmen while you're there!

Talleman1

Post Number: 11
Posted on Thursday, June 29, 2006 - 1:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We plan to get the Tuskegee boys to come down more often and the friends of Fort wayne or our fort wayne colalition are the two main groups putting over 800 hours of volunterring into the place, myself included. So do come down. It is not a easy task.

Talleman1

Post Number: 13
Posted on Wednesday, July 05, 2006 - 9:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This weekend relive our coutrys most troubled time, when Civil War raged at home. July 8-9, from 9-5pm. Vintage baseball also.

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 3484
Posted From: 68.248.82.6
Posted on Thursday, July 06, 2006 - 1:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you have a couple of hours to work on the post theatre, join us:

quote:

Fellow Guard:

This Saturday - July 8th, we are meeting at the Post Theatre to continue the work on the Porch Ceiling. We will start installation - cuting boards and nailing in place. There are still some boards that need to be painted.

We need at least 6 pairs of hands to make any progress on Saturday - please let me know if you can join Robert and I on Saturday morning.

Meet at the theatre
9:30 - 10:00 a.m.
Robert has a power chop saw and power nailer.

We have the paint and brushes.....We just need as many folks as can show up.

This weekend is the Civil War Re-enactment weekend - so - Rob and I thought it would be a great weekend to show our presence and accomplishments.

Talleman1

Post Number: 14
Posted on Monday, July 17, 2006 - 11:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This weekend 22nd only,at Historic Fort Wayne on saturday from 9-5 we are having a clean up day. All help is welcome. Volunteers will be on hand and have tools, so bring some if you want but there will be plenty to do. We have bathrooms and showers if needed. The fort will also have tours at 12pm and 2pm. So come out and help our history.

Thomas Alleman
Fort Wayne Site Manager

Huggybear
Username: Huggybear

Post Number: 245
Posted From: 70.236.161.246
Posted on Sunday, July 30, 2006 - 5:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was just down there today, and it looked better for all the efforts.

What is fascinating about the area to the south of the main gate (all the duplex houses/quarters/barracks) is their potential as private, historical residences.

They don't look like they're in that bad shape that they can't be rehabbed; they are in a pleasing arrangement and would make up a nice community; and putting them in the hands of private preservationists would make their upkeep less of a public problem. If it can be controlled, it might not even be bad to clone another row of those houses with new "old" construction between the existing duplexes and the fence.

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 945
Posted From: 65.221.183.120
Posted on Wednesday, August 02, 2006 - 6:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wenton field trips to the Fort several times while I was in elementary school - I would love to see it again. I will be there this summer

Bvos
Username: Bvos

Post Number: 1778
Posted From: 70.228.57.79
Posted on Wednesday, August 02, 2006 - 10:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Very cool idea Huggybear. A bed & breakfast (like the Inn on Ferry St.) might be another idea for financial means to rehab them, although the hotel market wouldn't be as strong in this part of town like it is in Midtown.

I guess if folks were to buy/lease a place at Fort Wayne they'd have to do so with the understanding that there would be a lot of visitors on the weekend snooping around.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.