Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » Looking for a cabinet maker/finish carpenter « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Mkgirrrl
Username: Mkgirrrl

Post Number: 7
Posted From: 68.42.169.141
Posted on Sunday, August 13, 2006 - 11:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

need some kitchen cabinets made inexpensively.

Ndavies
Username: Ndavies

Post Number: 2066
Posted From: 129.9.163.233
Posted on Monday, August 14, 2006 - 9:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The cheapest cabinets you'll find will be at one of the home superstores. Inexpensive and carpenter made are mutually exclusive.

Nainrouge
Username: Nainrouge

Post Number: 56
Posted From: 209.104.146.146
Posted on Monday, August 14, 2006 - 12:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The home superstore cabinets are pressboard junk. Laminate cabinets are fine until the laminate gets scratched or chipped. With wood, you could just re-sand it. My recommendation is to buy some cabinets used and then refinish them. Try Habitat's ReStore http://www.habitatdetroit.org/ chapter/restore/index.html

I guess it is up to you and what you define as "inexpensive".

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 3607
Posted From: 75.10.2.187
Posted on Monday, August 14, 2006 - 1:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

IKEA!!!!!

Ndavies
Username: Ndavies

Post Number: 2072
Posted From: 129.9.163.233
Posted on Monday, August 14, 2006 - 3:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

The home superstore cabinets are pressboard junk.

Definitely not true. You can order anything from pressed chipboard cabinets all the way up to high end all wood.

Gambling_man
Username: Gambling_man

Post Number: 811
Posted From: 199.178.193.5
Posted on Monday, August 14, 2006 - 8:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I do think, however, Ndavies, that face-frame cabinets (the ones your grandmother likely had in her house, complete with the glass knobs and steel pulls).....are fairly inexpensive from a cabinet maker.....I have a magazine somewhere that gave some sources........

Wash_man
Username: Wash_man

Post Number: 70
Posted From: 68.79.164.148
Posted on Monday, August 14, 2006 - 9:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I renovated two kitchens using cabinets made by Mills Pride. They are definately not top of the line. However, they look very good for the money. The cabinets are three quarter inch laminated press board, which is thicker than most brands. The doors are available in real wood styles. They were very easy to work with because the sizes are exact and the cabinets were square. The best part is that they are flat packed so I got the entire kitchen in one trip in my Jeep Cherokee with the seat folded down. (it was sagging a bit in the rear though) These cabinets are great for a place that needs a cost-effective reno. I wouldn't use them in my dream home, but I highly recommend them for the appropriate application.
http://www.millspride.com/

Mkgirrrl
Username: Mkgirrrl

Post Number: 8
Posted From: 68.42.169.141
Posted on Wednesday, August 16, 2006 - 12:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thanks for all the suggestions. I should rephrase perhaps. I need custom cabinets due to the spaces I have to fill but I would like to do it as inexpensively as possible. I have contacted several carpenters advertising on Craig's List but Harmonie had told me that someone on the site does finish work.

Udmphikapbob
Username: Udmphikapbob

Post Number: 170
Posted From: 206.81.45.34
Posted on Wednesday, August 16, 2006 - 4:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i know a place in Sterling Heights - Daiek Woodworks - but i bet they're pricey.

www.daiekwoodworks.com

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.