Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » Corktown Historic Home Renovation « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Psewick
Username: Psewick

Post Number: 42
Posted From: 70.235.110.46
Posted on Monday, August 14, 2006 - 9:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is a sad, dilapidated, over-grown house on my street. Its address is 2238 Wabash.

In mid-September, Wayne County will be auctioning off foreclosed houses. This house is on the list, and the minimum bid is $1,200.00.

Won't you please buy this once-beautiful, late-19th century row house? Or tell your contractor friend about it? Please?

For information on this property auction, go to: http://www.waynecounty.com/tre asurer/auction2006org.htm

I sure wish I had my own investment capital to restore this place instead of leaving weird messages on public forums in a vain attempt to beautify my street...

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 883
Posted From: 69.242.215.8
Posted on Monday, August 14, 2006 - 2:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

picture?

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 105
Posted From: 63.85.13.248
Posted on Monday, August 14, 2006 - 3:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What is the cross-street? I've always wanted a house in Corktown, though I can't leave Warrendale until my 95 year old grandmother does.

(No I don't live with her, but my being there allows her to have independance)

Psewick

Post Number: 43
Posted on Monday, August 14, 2006 - 4:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitplanner, it's on Wabash south of Michigan and north of Dalzelle. Wabash is one block east of 14th Street.

E_hemingway, I have no street-level photo yet, but I did take a quick screen grab from MSN's Virtual Earth. Please click here: http://pics.livejournal.com/ve gan27/pic/0005c5x9

The house on the right (south), unfortunately, is also vacant. It was "for sale by owner" until recently (see this listing: http://www.hno.com/property-de tail/?propertyID=19965). I don't know if he sold the house or just gave up...

Detroitplanner

Post Number: 107
Posted From: 152.163.100.8
Posted on Monday, August 14, 2006 - 10:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I tried driving by the site after work. You need a machete just to see these two! The lots are a bit overgrown.

Wow the oblique pic is pretty cool, first time I've seen that application. How do I get to it?

(Message edited by Detroitplanner on August 14, 2006)

Psewick

Post Number: 44
Posted on Tuesday, August 15, 2006 - 1:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To get to MSN's Virtual Earth, go to http://local.live.com/

Someone posted about it on here not long ago. They don't have all of Detroit from all four angles yet, but you can still find a lot of interesting views. The photos are only about a year old or so, unlike Google Earth, which doesn't even show Campus Martius Park yet.

Did the house look too far gone to renovate?

Detroitplanner

Post Number: 108
Posted From: 152.163.100.8
Posted on Tuesday, August 15, 2006 - 10:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I could not tell, sorry. I know the corner one is! How long ago was the fire? It was not like that Parade Day.

It pisses me off how slow insurance companies are to tear down burned out homes. Don't they know they are hazards?

Psewick

Post Number: 45
Posted on Wednesday, August 16, 2006 - 9:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The burned down house hasn't been like that for too incredibly long... maybe a couple of months? How sad that things are left like this even in the bounds of a historic district in a popular neighborhood. :-(

Heck, who knows if the house was even insured at all?

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 2338
Posted From: 69.246.29.74
Posted on Thursday, August 17, 2006 - 9:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is this the two unit just south of the burned house?
I've been admiring that place for a while.

WCPO is a great way to get a fixer-upper for a great price,
and a burned shell next door is a great source of extra materials!!

Psewick

Post Number: 46
Posted on Thursday, August 17, 2006 - 12:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Barnesfoto,

No, this is still two more houses down. This is just a one-story wood frame house.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.