Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » Advice needed - how to revive an old degree? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 1313
Posted From: 69.130.18.100
Posted on Thursday, September 07, 2006 - 11:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi all,
About 16 years ago I completed a Masters in Engineering (Aerospace). At the time the field was really tight and I didn't get any offers right out of school. I ended up floating in the job I had with a small business and have basically been doing financial/administrative stuff all these years.

How can I go about trying to revive my degree? Is there any chance of getting an entry level position as is? Would I just need refresher courses? Would I have to get another degree in a related field?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 1378
Posted From: 69.242.223.42
Posted on Friday, September 08, 2006 - 12:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The end of the Cold War killed off aerospace engineers and lots of EEs--my field.

Why bother with a degree if you already have one? Many people work outside their degreed area with no problems. A degree is merely a rite of passage for those areas where a particular degree isn't required by law. It indicates that you can finish something which you started.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 1314
Posted From: 69.130.18.100
Posted on Friday, September 08, 2006 - 1:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are jobs in Aero now and I was wondering how I could get in after this long away.

(Within a year or two of graduating Aero had fallen to the lowest paid engineering. Yesterday I saw what the current salaries are and fell off my chair. It was like getting punched in the gut seeing what my degree is worth today and what I feel like I've pissed away.)

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 728
Posted From: 69.212.169.194
Posted on Friday, September 08, 2006 - 8:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Take another class, excel in it, then go to the career day at school.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 1379
Posted From: 69.242.223.42
Posted on Friday, September 08, 2006 - 8:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Military manufacturing firms are leery about hiring Chineses et al. for sensitive engineering positions. I got job descriptions for Raytheon almost every day the past two weeks.

Crew
Username: Crew

Post Number: 1027
Posted From: 146.9.52.18
Posted on Friday, September 08, 2006 - 8:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lilpup, Go talk to a recruiter/head hunter in the field and see what kind of advice a professional gives you.

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 1093
Posted From: 68.40.89.238
Posted on Friday, September 08, 2006 - 8:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Crew, good advice, I would do that

Dillpicklesoup
Username: Dillpicklesoup

Post Number: 187
Posted on Friday, September 29, 2006 - 10:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

you might also try attending a few trade shows in your field-
take some resumes- you might get lucky!
good luck-

Ndavies
Username: Ndavies

Post Number: 2195
Posted on Monday, October 02, 2006 - 10:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do you know how to do computer modeling/simulation? Almost every advanced engineering discipline I know of now uses Mathwork's Matlab, simulink and stateflow products or cad modeling software. If you haven't been to school recently or haven't been working in an engineering field, you need to learn how to do computer simulation.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.