Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » RUSSELL KEETER SHOW @ CPOP « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 1025
Posted on Wednesday, September 20, 2006 - 3:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Russell Keeter - an absolutely amazing figurative painter - has a show opening Friday at 7pm at CPOP. If you like art at all, you should try to see this show. This man was just incredible, and its one of the crimes of life that he died at the too young age of 56.

"BODIES OF WORK"
A Master Painters Last Works
Friday September 22, 7PM. @ CPOP 4160 Woodward

SEPT 22-OCT 31

Heres pics from the flyer:
http://www.detroitfunk.com/200 6/09/20/russell_keeter_show.ht m

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 3004
Posted on Wednesday, September 20, 2006 - 6:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great painter, great handball champion, and a great friend with an incredible sense of humor that kept everybody in stitches with his famous southern drawl. He was real folk without a bone of arrogance or stuffiness. He is still greatly missed.

Anybody have and idea how this show came about? It is so long since his passing that I thought he had been forgotten.

Mauser765

Post Number: 1026
Posted on Wednesday, September 20, 2006 - 7:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

RK

:-(

Mauser765

Post Number: 1029
Posted on Friday, September 22, 2006 - 7:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The show came about as a result of former Keeter students who are now represented by CPOP constantly raving about "the Master". The CPOP guy got ahold of a collector who owns all the paintings in this show. With some additional help from CCS personel, and this show was the result.

Absolutely jaw dropping work.

The Friday opening is right now, 7pm. CHECK IT OUT !

Matt_the_deuce
Username: Matt_the_deuce

Post Number: 667
Posted on Friday, September 22, 2006 - 9:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I checked it out - It was great.

My mom was a student of his when I was around 11 years old - 1978 or so. She also worked at the Cade gallery where Russell had most of his success in the Detroit Area. We had a couple pieces of his hanging in our house and I had the privilage to look at them everyday. Really something special.

Russell Keeter lived an amazing life, or should I say lived the hell out of life - which is reflected in a lot of his works. An enormous talent.

I was expecting to see a lot more of the old gang there tonight, but learned that last night is when they had a private opening for all his former students and CCS faculty. Oh well, it just gives me the kick in the butt to dig some of them up myself.

A side note. Russell was a masters champion handball player.

Anyway - great show, and thanks for the info Mauser, I was wondering where all the works came from.

MTD

Mauser765

Post Number: 1033
Posted on Saturday, September 23, 2006 - 11:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

MTD - thanks for the story, its always great to hear about other people who had the privilege of knowing Russell Keeter.

And yeah, he was the handball KING ! In fact he died while doing just that. He went out in style.
Lowell - did you ever actually play handball with Russell ??

Heres some pics on my site of the CCS VIP opening - and special thanks to the CPOP guy for doing that for us.

http://www.detroitfunk.com/200 6/09/23/the_master.htm

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.