Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » St. Joseph's Oktober Fest « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Tndetroiter
Username: Tndetroiter

Post Number: 385
Posted on Tuesday, October 17, 2006 - 8:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On Sunday October 22 from 2:30-4:30 p.m. St. Joseph's will be hosting its first annual Oktober Choral Fest which will show case 5 different German choirs. There will also be food (I'll be making the potato pancakes), desserts, beer, and wine. Admission is a $15 donation. There will also be a silent auction and a 50/50 raffle. St. Joe's is located just off of Gratiot right across from the Eastern Market. It's the big church w/ the single spire, you can't miss it. Please make plans to attend!

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 355
Posted on Sunday, October 22, 2006 - 8:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I attended and I thoroughly enjoyed both the performances and the food, not to mention the Warsteiner. I saw this thread and passed the word on to four others who also attended. One of those is my distant cousin from Eslohe, Germany who is in Detroit for the next six weeks researching the Kreis Meschede (Sauerland) emigrants who came to Detroit during the 19th century. He says that the framed 1883 list of donors (in the church hall opposite the restrooms) has a lot of Sauerland emigrants listed on it.

The Schwabischer Mannerchor performs in St. Joseph Church, 22 Oct 2006:

The Schwabischer Mannerchor performs in St. Joseph Church, 22 Oct 2006

(Message edited by Mikeg on October 22, 2006)

Tndetroiter

Post Number: 409
Posted on Monday, October 23, 2006 - 12:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You should have stopped by the grill that we had going in the Rectory garage and introduced yourself. I saw a couple gentlemen inspecting the above mentioned list from 1883, one of whom definately had a German accent; perhaps it was your party? Hope you enjoyed yourself.

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 356
Posted on Monday, October 23, 2006 - 8:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yep, that would have been us!

Prior to the performance, Sean Dey showed it to my cousin and I and gave us the story about how he found it in the attic a few years ago, where it was positioned to keep out some drafts. I found my great-great grandfather's brother's name on it (the brothers emigrated together from Westphalia in about 1849), along with a cousin of theirs who came here in 1879. Later, my cousin and I took some photos of the names on it and we were joined by a third acquaintence who also has one of his ancestor's names on it.

Sorry I missed you - I should have asked around to learn where all the grillin' was going on!

Tndetroiter

Post Number: 417
Posted on Tuesday, October 24, 2006 - 6:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was a really cool event. I just started thinking about how St. Joe's was a center of the German community way back when and how it certainly was that on Sunday, especially in the Parish Hall after the concert when they had the accordian going and everybody was eating/drinking/singing, really cool.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.