Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » Viewing the tigers game from a parking deck? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Skipp
Username: Skipp

Post Number: 99
Posted on Wednesday, October 18, 2006 - 4:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can anybody think of a parking garage that you can see into comerica park from? (besides the D.A.C.)

Docmo
Username: Docmo

Post Number: 142
Posted on Wednesday, October 18, 2006 - 5:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Skipp,
On www.mapdetroit.com it sure looks like you should be able to see part of the field from the Opera House garage roof looking up John R between the DAC and Barden. You can probably see over Barden, but not the DAC. I haven't been up there to see for sure, but I may see you on Sunday. Happy viewing.
Docmo

Skipp

Post Number: 100
Posted on Wednesday, October 18, 2006 - 6:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the input Docmo, a buddy of mine heard on the tv or radio that a parking garage was allowing tailgating and that you could see the field from there. I was just trying to figure which one it is. There aren't to many so you are probably right on.

Everydayislikesunday
Username: Everydayislikesunday

Post Number: 260
Posted on Wednesday, October 18, 2006 - 8:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

would it be the Gem/Elwood structure that they are talking about?

Skipp

Post Number: 101
Posted on Wednesday, October 18, 2006 - 8:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just got off the phone with a friend, and we thought of that garage too. We are going to head over there tomorrow and check out the view from the top deck. It seems like that would be a pretty good location.

Docmo

Post Number: 143
Posted on Wednesday, October 18, 2006 - 10:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think the scoreboard may block a large part of the view from the Gem structure. Not sure--it seems like the only structure you see from in the park is the DAC rather than the Gem (Brush & Adams) structure. Not sure, though.

Everydayislikesunday

Post Number: 262
Posted on Wednesday, October 18, 2006 - 10:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Skipp

Post Number: 102
Posted on Thursday, October 19, 2006 - 6:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Foiled again, Looks like we need to somehow get into the dac garage for are tailgate.

Docmo

Post Number: 144
Posted on Thursday, October 19, 2006 - 10:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe that is the elevator shaft and a small portion of the top deck of the Opera House garage just behind and to the west of the Barden building. Unfortunately, Barden seem to block much of the view. It looks like the GM fountain will block much of the view from the east side of the Opera House garage.

Skipp, all we have do now is apply, be sponsored and get accepted as members of the DAC before Saturday night's game.

I do suspect that little bit of the Opera House top deck will have people on it for the games.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 836
Posted on Thursday, October 19, 2006 - 6:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I tried for the All Star Game, DAC is the only way to see and that is private

Skipp

Post Number: 103
Posted on Thursday, October 19, 2006 - 9:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

well, i did a little walk around town to all the possible sites. None really had a great view. The dac is the only spot which has a straight shot into the park.
Docmo- we need to get going on our membership, i will take care of the sponsorship, if you don't mind bringing your check book we will be all set. Actually i think we are going hang out on the top level of the elwood/gem structure. You can see the upper decks and some of the out field from up there. We are going to set up a small tv so i think it should be pretty fun. If you happen to go up there on saturday to check it i will buy you a beer. GO TIGERS!!!!

Docmo

Post Number: 146
Posted on Thursday, October 19, 2006 - 10:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Go Tigers!!! It would be wild and windy and cold to watch the game from the top of the Guardian. Up there hanging out with the flags and a good telescope. Sounds OK to me.

Everydayislikesunday

Post Number: 267
Posted on Friday, October 20, 2006 - 9:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

here are a few articles about where people will be watching the games from. granted, not the top of a parking structure, but if you can't find the view you're looking for, these might be worth looking into. theyre pretty much the staple places, anyway...

http://freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll /article?AID=/20061020/ENT05/6 10200443

http://freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll /article?AID=2006610200444

Skipp

Post Number: 104
Posted on Sunday, October 22, 2006 - 1:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't bother trying to tailgate at the elwood/gem garage, because they will not let you. The lot across from the 36th district court was pretty fun, except for the dip-shits starting stuff on fire and leaving a shit-load of garbage there.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 4432
Posted on Sunday, October 22, 2006 - 3:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jjaba is watching game two in the bleachers of Tiger Stadium. You can see everywhere including AIW's crib in Windsor, and that's in Canada.

They promised good views from Adams St. and then they have done about everything to block us.
Remember that bullschitt about community integration with the ballpark. Ya right, just a bunch of cement parking lots surrounding our new pudding.

jjaba.

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 573
Posted on Sunday, October 22, 2006 - 9:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/ne ws?slug=ap-worldseries-vantage points&prov=ap&type=lgns

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.