Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » Musical performances at Comerica « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Wash_man
Username: Wash_man

Post Number: 134
Posted on Monday, October 23, 2006 - 11:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What does everyone think of the musical performances so far? I think Josh Gracin was the best so far. Everyone else was mediocre. I hope they are saving the best for last next weekend...ARETHA! Anyone know if she is scheduled?

Thnk2mch
Username: Thnk2mch

Post Number: 455
Posted on Monday, October 23, 2006 - 11:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought John Mellencamp was decent, except for his tardiness. His musician counterparts were all just standing and waiting.
I expected better from Bob Seger, his song did not do him justice.

Everydayislikesunday
Username: Everydayislikesunday

Post Number: 270
Posted on Monday, October 23, 2006 - 11:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i found myself wondering how Josh Gracin acquired a southern accent when he grew up in westland...

i havent seen any of the other performances. i did hear bob seger saturday night from outside the park. he just doesnt do it for me.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 6932
Posted on Monday, October 23, 2006 - 11:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mellencamp's was classic corporate capitalism at its near finest.

I kept waiting for the Chevy truck to levitate off that left-center field perch and drive across the Ambassador Bridge, with a gaggle of Homeland Security and Coast Guard trying to keep up with it.

Their PR really missed the boat on THAT one, didn't they?! Heh.

As it was, I kept singing the refrain..."This is our Chevy ad". "And I made you way-yit for-r it"

Gannon

Post Number: 6933
Posted on Monday, October 23, 2006 - 11:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Everyday,

When is the last time you met anyone from Westland?!

Cheers!

Wash_man

Post Number: 135
Posted on Monday, October 23, 2006 - 11:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not sure about the accent either, other than it seems to be a requirement for county music artists. BTW Josh Gracin and Jennifer Hudson (the girl on Sat.) are both former American Idol contestants. Conveniently, the World Series and AI are both on Fox. Coincidence or planned?

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 3150
Posted on Monday, October 23, 2006 - 12:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^ Agree with Gannon. The corporatism of Mellencamp was so transparent it was painful. The confusion surrounding it and his tardy grumpy looking appearance was like a parody of the chaos now going at GM.

The whole exploitation of MLK, Rosa Parks, Viet nam war, and Katrina in that Chevy ad campaign is sickening. In the end we see a huge gas-guzzling lumbering pickup in a mown wheat field.

So that's what we struggled and fought for?

On a more positive note, I really liked the Eminem hip hop video lead-in at the start of the TV broadcast. [Caveat, I couldn't make out most of the words but it was energetic and by a Detroiter]

Susanarosa
Username: Susanarosa

Post Number: 1207
Posted on Monday, October 23, 2006 - 12:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Except for the fact that a member of his "posse" was wearing a Yankees hat.

Thnk2mch

Post Number: 456
Posted on Monday, October 23, 2006 - 1:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are talking about the commercials or the performances?

Ndavies
Username: Ndavies

Post Number: 2261
Posted on Monday, October 23, 2006 - 1:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Are talking about the commercials or the performances?

Is there a difference? Isn't the World series one long commercial?

Wash_man

Post Number: 136
Posted on Monday, October 23, 2006 - 1:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was talking about the performances, but there seems to be a connection with Mellencamp's song and a new Chevy Truck ad campaign.

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 679
Posted on Monday, October 23, 2006 - 1:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I got the impression that Seeger was so overwhelmed by the occasion he couldn't pull it together till the end. Teared up and big grin.

Sometimes sincerity beats polish.

Gannon

Post Number: 6934
Posted on Monday, October 23, 2006 - 1:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sincerity kicked polish's ass on Leno a few weeks ago. Saw it in High Def.

Didn't know it was Bob Seger's first tv appearance EVER.

He represented the area just fine, very authentic...

...glaringly illuminating that Mellencamp sellout.

I couldn't seperate his delayed-game-introduction song from the over-played Chevy ad, because of the reasons Lowell listed. They play off so many national tragedies...of course we need Chevy trucks to respond to fear and trepidation.

I am overwhelmed by the stupidity of the ad, and was NOT surprised to see Cougar messing up the infield. Most of the crowd was bored out of their gourds, until the camera found the ONE fan in the stands who was singing along. Heh.

Anyone else think they need to film roughly triple the number of ad spots to keep the story from getting instantly stale? Some of these ad gems went from funny to old in three viewings...if only they spaced them out a bit more, they could get more life out of them.

I'll never get a jump from a car named Nitro...

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 8915
Posted on Monday, October 23, 2006 - 2:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I turned off the sound of the tv because ALL of the "performances" were terrible.
Seger (and I am not really a fan) was worse than usual. The woman who sang God Bless America was absolutely horrible! What is it with the progressions that these people try to perform? They sound absurd on a good day.
Mellencamp, Cougar-Mellencamp, John Cougar or whatever the fuck his name is this week is a useless turd as well.
Get some kid to sing the anthem and then move on.

Wash_man

Post Number: 137
Posted on Monday, October 23, 2006 - 2:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bring on Karen Newman! Unfortunately, I don't think she's very well known outside of Detroit.

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 8917
Posted on Monday, October 23, 2006 - 2:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bring her on and dump her head in the toilet...another lame "performer" I hop eto never hear again much like those annoying Jarod Jeweller commercials.

Gannon

Post Number: 6935
Posted on Monday, October 23, 2006 - 2:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Apparently they talked about it on Drew & Mike, as covered by the Free Press.

They pretty much think Mellencamp's a sellout, too...

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 682
Posted on Monday, October 23, 2006 - 3:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

*blurghhhhhhh* Karen Newman? yuck.

Wash_man

Post Number: 138
Posted on Monday, October 23, 2006 - 3:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Geez, sorry I brought up Karen Newman. I happen to like her and so do a lot of other people. I am still hoping for an appearance by Aretha!

Rrl
Username: Rrl

Post Number: 680
Posted on Monday, October 23, 2006 - 3:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The performances have all been pretty bad, especially that one during the seventh inning stretch on Saturday night; which was horrible. With so much musical talent in this area, why does FOX shove these "performers" in our faces.

Also, and I mean no offense by this comment, cause he seems like a pretty decent guy, but note to Bob Seger: you should really get a new dentist. Those close-ups were unbearable.

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 684
Posted on Monday, October 23, 2006 - 4:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Let's just be grateful they didn't ask Kid Rock.

Thornetta could rock the HELL out of America the Beautiful.

Wash_man

Post Number: 139
Posted on Monday, October 23, 2006 - 5:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree. If the Kid is on, I'll tune out. A lot of people like him, I just don't happen to be one of them. I'm surprised they haven't booked him, now that you mention it.

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 686
Posted on Monday, October 23, 2006 - 5:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

*ssssshhhhhhhhhhh*

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 673
Posted on Tuesday, October 24, 2006 - 6:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm glad they didn't have Karen Newman sing. She needs to learn how to count (I can hear it now--"I just sing it the way I feel it") It's the national anthem, not the national love ballad. Anymore you have all of these performers singing the anthem (or other patriotic selection) with all of these "soul runs"--it's become almost comical to see what they think they can do to improve the piece. Oh well, it takes a lot less chops to do that caterwauling than to just hold the note ON PITCH.
Oh, and rtl, I'm with you re: Bob Seger and his choppers--he needs a good dentist--that's almost a British smile.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 846
Posted on Tuesday, October 24, 2006 - 8:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

get rid of all this singing crap and play some ball!!

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 674
Posted on Tuesday, October 24, 2006 - 8:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hard to argue with that!

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 689
Posted on Tuesday, October 24, 2006 - 9:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't often agree with Billy Joel but he was talking about Christina Agulilara once, and he said she should find her note then sit on it for a while.

Just because you can perform a melisima doesn't mean it's neccessary 30 times in a song.

Rrl
Username: Rrl

Post Number: 683
Posted on Tuesday, October 24, 2006 - 11:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've got something Christina can sit on for a while...

Username: 1953

Post Number: 1044
Posted on Wednesday, October 25, 2006 - 9:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ARETHA IS AWFUL!

Everydayislikesunday
Username: Everydayislikesunday

Post Number: 271
Posted on Wednesday, October 25, 2006 - 9:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i know this wasnt at comerica...but someone has the radio on at work, and they just played the national anthem from game 3...holy crap, it was horrible.

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 695
Posted on Wednesday, October 25, 2006 - 10:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

who sang it? I was at work, was mercifully kept from the whole thing, except for the screams and moans of my coworkers.

Thnk2mch

Post Number: 464
Posted on Wednesday, October 25, 2006 - 10:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Trace Adkins, country singer

Wash_man

Post Number: 145
Posted on Wednesday, October 25, 2006 - 11:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Who chooses the performers? MLB or Fox? Do you think they would be better if a NY team was in the series?

65memories
Username: 65memories

Post Number: 299
Posted on Thursday, October 26, 2006 - 2:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought Anita had trouble staying on key...not her best performance.

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 700
Posted on Thursday, October 26, 2006 - 3:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

SSBanner is a terrible song. America the Beautiful or This Land is Your Land should be the anthem.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 869
Posted on Thursday, October 26, 2006 - 4:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I say shut em all up and play some ball!!! Ty Cobb is rolling in his grave with a bottle of bourbon

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.