Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » Detroit Oak Trees - Location of « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Southwestmap
Username: Southwestmap

Post Number: 610
Posted on Monday, October 23, 2006 - 2:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a project that I will need acorns for. I have searched around in Clark Park for acorn-bearing trees and this must be the off-year for those Oaks, because there have been none. Last year there was a huge crop there.

I think its very late to be looking for acorns, as all the squirrels and bluejays will have been working on them for weeks, but maybe the readers here have some hard leads on locations of (preferably) several oak trees in or near SW Detroit.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 816
Posted on Monday, October 23, 2006 - 2:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What are you going to do with them, if I may ask?

Southwestmap

Post Number: 612
Posted on Monday, October 23, 2006 - 2:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Make Thanksgiving decorations and a wreath.

The ones without caps I do give back to the squirrels and the bluejays.

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 3963
Posted on Monday, October 23, 2006 - 2:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not a hard lead, but a good possibility might be some of the cemeteries, Woodmere, Holy Cross in SWD, Elmwood, Trinity, etc.

Or maybe a call to Greening of Detroit

Jimaz

Post Number: 818
Posted on Monday, October 23, 2006 - 2:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ah. I was hoping for a recipe. I hear they're edible once they're leached of their tannin.

I've seen very few acorns this year. Sorry.

Southwestmap

Post Number: 613
Posted on Monday, October 23, 2006 - 3:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Go here for some recipres using acorn flour. I know a family that uses acorn flour that they make, or acorn "meal", to make cookies.

There is a website about self suffiency that describes how to make acorn flour. You can google it up. You are right about the tannin leaching. Very necessary.

Jimaz

Post Number: 819
Posted on Monday, October 23, 2006 - 3:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, yes! Very nice website!

http://www.selfsufficientish.c om/acorns.htm

Treelock
Username: Treelock

Post Number: 160
Posted on Monday, October 23, 2006 - 7:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You're definitely late in searching for acorns. My 'hood in Ferndale is filled with towering oaks but the squirrels hoarded all the acorns away weeks ago and dig holes to bury them all over the goddamned place.

I'm not sure about oaks in SW Detroit, but they're all over the place in the Green Acres, Sherwood Forest and University District neighborhoods.

Rustic
Username: Rustic

Post Number: 2858
Posted on Thursday, October 26, 2006 - 12:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jeez given that maple syrup thread, the mind kinda boggles about what possible uses there might be for acorns ...

you string them like beads, loop a ring on one end, and ....

or maybe it's simply to feed the gerbil?

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 293
Posted on Thursday, October 26, 2006 - 10:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have billions of them up at my cabin, how far are you willing to drive?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.