Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » Forum Touch Football Game Thanksgiving Weekend? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 1880
Posted on Thursday, November 09, 2006 - 6:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was thinking about how great this could be given the fact that there are many sports enthusiasts on this forum. Besides there are a few of you I'd sure liked to leave in my wake following a long touchdown catch or run.

What I'm thinking about is having a game on the Friday or Saturday following the Thanksgiving Day holiday. The time would be around 10:00 a.m. I'm thinking about two possible fields: one at Third and Selden and the other on the Wayne State campus at Warren and Trumbull. The losing team buys the first round at a nearby bar.

Anybody interested? Ladies, your presence is highly encouraged. I'll bring the cones to mark the field and a football. The time, days, and fields are just suggestions. If anybody has any other suggestions, feel free to offer them. I hope we can get this off the ground. I think it could be fun, if not therapeutic.

(Message edited by royce on November 09, 2006)

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 10857
Posted on Thursday, November 09, 2006 - 9:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A few of us played at the WSU field at Trumbull and Warren a few weeks ago. I'd suggest Saturday, as that will give those who headed out of town a chance to get back, if in fact they are coming back for the weekend. I can't say I'm in for sure, but If I'm back by Saturday, I may be able to gather up a handful of people who played last time. Keep us up to date!

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 8960
Posted on Friday, November 10, 2006 - 4:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am interested. Let me know if this is going to happen.

Alobar
Username: Alobar

Post Number: 120
Posted on Friday, November 10, 2006 - 4:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd be interested. SS -- if you guys play on a regular basis and need and extra let me know.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 920
Posted on Friday, November 10, 2006 - 5:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i'm interested

Supergay
Username: Supergay

Post Number: 21
Posted on Friday, November 10, 2006 - 11:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This sounds fabulous!!

Mgoblue
Username: Mgoblue

Post Number: 8
Posted on Saturday, November 11, 2006 - 12:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ready set! Ready set!! Hut! Hut!! I think it's a great idea. Let me know at hail.2.victors.uofm@gmail.com

Supersport

Post Number: 10866
Posted on Saturday, November 11, 2006 - 8:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My neighbor is in as well, as long as we can do it Saturday. We can probably gather up another 2 or 3 more, as long as they are in town.

Harmonie
Username: Harmonie

Post Number: 638
Posted on Saturday, November 11, 2006 - 6:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm in...if you allow girls that can probably throw the ball farther than most of you:-)

Supersport

Post Number: 10871
Posted on Saturday, November 11, 2006 - 7:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Back in '83 I could throw the football a 1/4 mile.

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 798
Posted on Sunday, November 12, 2006 - 1:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

4 football fields? Amazing...

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 46
Posted on Sunday, November 12, 2006 - 1:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yea, right.

Tetsua
Username: Tetsua

Post Number: 872
Posted on Sunday, November 12, 2006 - 10:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm interested

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 8964
Posted on Sunday, November 12, 2006 - 1:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah Sport, I can throw it over them mountains...if only coach had put me in the game. I knew I could win.

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 4167
Posted on Sunday, November 12, 2006 - 1:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll give 12 pts and take Harmonie's team if SS QB's the other team.

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 803
Posted on Monday, November 13, 2006 - 3:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does Supersport still have his built-in helmet?

Supersport

Post Number: 10874
Posted on Monday, November 13, 2006 - 6:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Royce,

Can we confirm Saturday, 10 am, at Warren and Trumbull?

Royce

Post Number: 1888
Posted on Monday, November 13, 2006 - 6:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

SS, sounds great. Unless there's a torrential rain storm, the game is on.

Tetsua

Post Number: 876
Posted on Monday, November 13, 2006 - 6:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How many people are committed to this, is there going to be enough for a game?

Royce

Post Number: 1890
Posted on Monday, November 13, 2006 - 10:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tetsua, you make at least 18 possible. Seven or eight players on the field for each team for either defense or offense is the minimum needed. Others not playing can relieve others who want to take a break.

Supersport

Post Number: 10875
Posted on Tuesday, November 14, 2006 - 9:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not true, we played with 5 people a few weeks ago. One all time QB, 2 on 2 for the game. Granted, the more people we got, the more fun, but we'll make due as long as we got 5 people who show.

(Though I very much like the idea of people stepping in so others can take a break. That about killed me last time we played.)

Mongo
Username: Mongo

Post Number: 8
Posted on Wednesday, November 15, 2006 - 4:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

MY friends and I have our annual hang over football game every year since 1980. That's right Jan 2nd.

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 915
Posted on Friday, November 17, 2006 - 9:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

SuperSport....

If only coach had put you in, you coulda beat State. You would have been playing in the league and married to your soul mate.

I got that info for you, you know about time travel... back to '82

Bobzilla
Username: Bobzilla

Post Number: 60
Posted on Friday, November 17, 2006 - 10:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd like to play.

I play in a touch-football league. We have five guys on each team. The field is only 50 yds long plus 10 yard end zones.

The offense has to move the ball 20 yards to get a first down. There are three eligible receivers on each play, plus the QB and a blocker.

The defense can rush the QB after counting to five-one-thousand. They can send one rusher, and use four guys to cover the three receivers ... or they can send two rushers to put more pressure on the QB.

Those rules work out great. But I guess we will see how many people are there, and we can figure out the rules then. I'll bring cones to mark the field, and towels that we can use for the line of scrimmage and first down marker.

Royce

Post Number: 1898
Posted on Friday, November 17, 2006 - 11:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bobzilla, those sound like workable rules. Thanks for offering to bring the cones and towels. Look forward to seeing you there.

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1420
Posted on Saturday, November 18, 2006 - 12:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll show up if you allow me to coach you on proper utilization of Fritz Crisler's famous single wing formation.
And you are wearing leather helmets, I trust.
And if jjaba has any real clout, I assume he will assert his influence to have a segment of the Cass Tech marching band perform at half time.

Sticks
Username: Sticks

Post Number: 137
Posted on Monday, November 20, 2006 - 1:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Got room for one more?

Royce

Post Number: 1909
Posted on Tuesday, November 21, 2006 - 12:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sticks, always room for one more.

Eastside
Username: Eastside

Post Number: 975
Posted on Wednesday, November 22, 2006 - 1:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you all were playing tackle, I would show and take some heads off.

Supersport

Post Number: 10897
Posted on Wednesday, November 22, 2006 - 11:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok Uncle Rico.

Royce

Post Number: 1917
Posted on Friday, November 24, 2006 - 1:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Remember, the game is tomorrow at 10:00 a.m. at the corner of Warren and Trumbull on Wayne State's campus. The weather should be great. See you all there.

Royce

Post Number: 1919
Posted on Friday, November 24, 2006 - 7:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^Bump.

Supersport

Post Number: 10903
Posted on Friday, November 24, 2006 - 7:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm back in town, I'll be there, as will my neighbor.

Tetsua

Post Number: 916
Posted on Friday, November 24, 2006 - 7:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I might be a little late, but I'll be there.

Ragtoplover59
Username: Ragtoplover59

Post Number: 28
Posted on Saturday, November 25, 2006 - 11:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Saturday,Almost 11:30 am, I wonder where everyone is?
Game sounds like it would be a Blast,Would of loved to have been a part of it ! Rag

Sticks
Username: Sticks

Post Number: 139
Posted on Saturday, November 25, 2006 - 3:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Only six of us showed, but good game to those who did!

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 1723
Posted on Saturday, November 25, 2006 - 6:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Only six? Sounded like you were going to have enough to field a couple of teams!! I even thought momentarily of stopping by to watch but did not make it out of the house early enough.

Bussey
Username: Bussey

Post Number: 377
Posted on Saturday, November 25, 2006 - 6:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was at the softball field with the dogs and didn't even know it was you guys. I just thought Wayne had some really old intermural teams!

Bobzilla

Post Number: 62
Posted on Saturday, November 25, 2006 - 7:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was actually a great game. "The War on Warren." It was me, Royce and Sticks versus Supersport, a non-forum guy named O.A., and Tetsua. It was close. Lots of great plays on offense and defense. Lots of fun. No arguments. Great weather. The game finally ended with Sport's team winning 7 tds to 6 tds.

Tetsua

Post Number: 922
Posted on Saturday, November 25, 2006 - 7:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Very nice meeting all you guys today. Hope to play again with you all in the near future.

Bobzilla

Post Number: 63
Posted on Saturday, November 25, 2006 - 8:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, it was nice meeting you, Tetsua -- and Royce and Sticks and O.A. (I already knew Sport.) And I hope there's another game.

Royce

Post Number: 1922
Posted on Saturday, November 25, 2006 - 10:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Too sore to respond earlier. It was a great game and a lot of fun. Great meeting Tetsua, Sticks, and Bozilla. I already had met Sport, and it was good seeing him again.

Rag, I don't know where you were. We were where we said we would be.

BTW, Sport maybe we can play a game during a snowy but warm weekend.

Ragtoplover59
Username: Ragtoplover59

Post Number: 29
Posted on Sunday, November 26, 2006 - 12:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Saturday,Almost 11:30 am, I wonder where everyone is?

"Rag, I don't know where you were. We were where we said we would be."

Royce, sorry for the confusion, I was commenting on the empty Forum? and my Dream of the Field being Fuller.
My drive would of been a little long, I live in Tenn.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.