Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » West village thoughts « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Sc00by9999
Username: Sc00by9999

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, November 16, 2006 - 2:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am moving from ferndale to the west village, on Parker street. Does anyone have any pointers for me? How is the community?

thanks
Mark

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 4209
Posted on Thursday, November 16, 2006 - 3:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't try to pet Eastsidedog's dog.

Or for that matter Eastsidedog.

Jams

Post Number: 4210
Posted on Thursday, November 16, 2006 - 3:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BTW Welcome to the neighborhood!

40's of Pabst are cheaper at Jefferson Liquor than the store at the corner of Agnes and Van Dyke.

Dabirch
Username: Dabirch

Post Number: 1950
Posted on Thursday, November 16, 2006 - 4:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mark --

Where on parker? Been there for 7 years, and unfortunately, we will be making our exit around the same time you make your entrance.

It has been a great neighborhood, and I will miss it.

If you do shop at either liquor store, make sure to check the expiration dates on all non-liquor products...

Sc00by9999

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, November 16, 2006 - 4:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

between agnes and lafayette. Hows the walkability of the area?

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 10881
Posted on Thursday, November 16, 2006 - 4:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why would one buy non-liquor products at a liquor store?

Jams

Post Number: 4211
Posted on Thursday, November 16, 2006 - 5:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mark,
The walkabilty of the neighborhood is among the best in the City.

With the exception of a dearth of banks, bars and restaurants in the immediate area, it's quite easy to do without a vehicle for most day-to-day needs.

Indian Village Market is about 4 blocks from you and is surprisingly clean and stocked, the aforementioned party stores (jefferson open til 12M during the week, 2am Fri & Sat), a couple of dry cleaners within a couple of blocks from you and 3 buslines with just a short walk for you, not including SMART. Even the 24hr Sunoco station is great for emergency items.

Dabirch

Post Number: 1952
Posted on Thursday, November 16, 2006 - 5:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

between agnes and lafayette.

Are you buying my house?

Walkability, in Detroit, is a matter of definition.

If you want to "go for a walk" it is great -- beautiful neighborhood and scenery, and close to the water/belle isle.

If you want to walk to a restaurant, a store, or anything else really, it leaves much to be desired.

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 58
Posted on Thursday, November 16, 2006 - 5:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

where is Dabirch moving to?

Dabirch

Post Number: 1953
Posted on Thursday, November 16, 2006 - 5:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Mark,
The walkabilty of the neighborhood is among the best in the City.

With the exception of a dearth of banks, bars and restaurants in the immediate area, it's quite easy to do without a vehicle for most day-to-day needs.

Indian Village Market is about 4 blocks from you and is surprisingly clean and stocked, the aforementioned party stores (jefferson open til 12M during the week, 2am Fri & Sat), a couple of dry cleaners within a couple of blocks from you and 3 buslines with just a short walk for you, not including SMART. Even the 24hr Sunoco station is great for emergency items.

quote:

Walkability, in Detroit, is a matter of definition.

If you want to "go for a walk" it is great -- beautiful neighborhood and scenery, and close to the water/belle isle.

If you want to walk to a restaurant, a store, or anything else really, it leaves much to be desired.

As stated, it is a matter of definition and expectation.

Sknutson
Username: Sknutson

Post Number: 735
Posted on Thursday, November 16, 2006 - 5:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My old block! I used to live next door to the Parkhurst.

Jams

Post Number: 4212
Posted on Thursday, November 16, 2006 - 5:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

As stated, it is a matter of definition and expectation.

...or necessity.

Dabirch

Post Number: 1954
Posted on Thursday, November 16, 2006 - 5:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

where is Dabirch moving to?

dabirch got transferred to southern california.

So I figure I have three choices:

(1) Forget about detroit and the forum entirely
(2) Become one of those "it used to be so great but now it is hell - but i hope it get's better, but I am sure it will not" sort of people; or
(3) Be one of the "I miss it, I can't wait to come back, any pics?" sort of people.

My guess is somewhere between 2 and 3.

Buddyinrichmond
Username: Buddyinrichmond

Post Number: 76
Posted on Thursday, November 16, 2006 - 6:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.modeldmedia.com/fea tures/wvillage67.aspx

It sounds like an amazing place!

Toolbox
Username: Toolbox

Post Number: 1007
Posted on Thursday, November 16, 2006 - 6:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hear it's like SoHo.

Jams

Post Number: 4213
Posted on Thursday, November 16, 2006 - 6:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd like to live there........oh, I do.......but I'd like to live in that neighborhood in the article.

I'm so confused.

Dabirch

Post Number: 1955
Posted on Thursday, November 16, 2006 - 6:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We all are Jams.

If my neighborhood was all that, maybe I would've...well never mind because we know what it is and have chosen to live there for an extended part of our lives, warts and all.

That's the beauty of the city and many of the people who call it home -- come at it with your eyes wide open, understand what it is, and still appreciate it.

Steelworker
Username: Steelworker

Post Number: 794
Posted on Saturday, November 18, 2006 - 3:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

umm this may be the only neighborhood in detroit i dont know the boundries or the area or even where it is. anyone help?

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 669
Posted on Saturday, November 18, 2006 - 8:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

umm this may be the only neighborhood in detroit i dont know the boundries or the area or even where it is. anyone help?

From the link posted above:

Located three miles east of downtown, adjacent to Indian Village,

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 1430
Posted on Saturday, November 18, 2006 - 1:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Basically from Parker to Seyburn, between Jefferson and Kercheval.

Steelworker

Post Number: 795
Posted on Saturday, November 18, 2006 - 11:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

where lafayette stops?

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 1902
Posted on Saturday, November 18, 2006 - 11:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Scooby, how do you move into an area without checking it out first? A simple drive or walk around could tell you something about the neighborhood. After that you could then ask forumers specific questions about the area.

Talk about being wet behind the ears. Well, at any rate, welcome to the forum and West Village, Scooby.

Sc00by9999

Post Number: 4
Posted on Sunday, November 19, 2006 - 2:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Royce, I have definitly checked out the area. I have been looking to move into the city for awhile, and finally settled on the west village. I was just hoping to get an insiders view of the area.

Steelworker

Post Number: 798
Posted on Sunday, November 19, 2006 - 2:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lol everyone loves to bust peoples ball on here.

Eastsidedog
Username: Eastsidedog

Post Number: 821
Posted on Monday, November 20, 2006 - 4:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sc00by9999. Welcome to the neighborhood and the forum. West Village is a good neighborhood on the upswing but not without it's problems. If you drive a newer car and plan to park on the street then get a killswitch (no one will touch it). If you drive an older car you might want to get a club especially if it's a truck or SUV. Car theft is the only major problem in WV. Otherwise the neighborhood is very safe. One thing you'll notice in WV is that many houses don't have "beauty-bars" AKA "ghetto-gates", a sign of the relative safety of the neighborhood.

As far as walkability, it is very good and much of the urban fabric is intact (although as it usually is in Detroit, it's usually easier to drive). Moving from ferndale, one thing you'll notice is the sense of community (come spring, in the winter no one is outside). People are mostly friendly and talkative and have a lot of pride in the neighborhood. If you get a dog you will meet a lot nice people on your daily walk (highly recommended). You may also want to check out the West Village Associattion and the HAC parties in IV. You can meet a lot of good people through those two organizations and their events.

Jams

Post Number: 4239
Posted on Monday, November 20, 2006 - 4:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

But don't try to pet Eastsidedog's dog.

"the Club" is great, I've received a check from them 3 times now, for my missing vehicles.

Eastsidedog

Post Number: 824
Posted on Monday, November 20, 2006 - 5:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Or he'll pet you.

Eastsidedog

Post Number: 825
Posted on Monday, November 20, 2006 - 5:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, I've heard the club doesn't work perfectly but thieves would probably rather steal a car without one.

Jams

Post Number: 4240
Posted on Monday, November 20, 2006 - 5:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I recommend the "club" highly. You get a check covering the deductible when your vehicle is stolen.

I've received 3 of them.

Sc00by9999

Post Number: 5
Posted on Monday, November 20, 2006 - 7:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thanks for the info all, I look forward to living in the city. Today I got an alarm with a kill switch installed on my car, hopefully that will help.

I hope to do my part in helping the revitalization of our great city.

Eastsidedog

Post Number: 834
Posted on Tuesday, November 21, 2006 - 9:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sc00by9999, you should have no problems parking anywhere then. Thieves hate them.

West Village is an exciting place to be in the city right now. Lots of good (and some average) infill in the surrounding area and dozens of houses and other buildings undergoing rehabs. The transformation is very visible. Just wait till they get the riverwalk completed! WV is poised to become one of the best neighborhoods in the city.

Detroit_girl
Username: Detroit_girl

Post Number: 70
Posted on Tuesday, November 21, 2006 - 2:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cool neighborhood and very affordable. I lived there for 5 years. My only complaint is that your car gets the sh*t kicked out of it parked on the street, or stolen. I left the club off once out of laziness, in a bad snowstorm, and my car was gone the next morning. Needless to say, I felt stupid.

Ghetto_butterfly
Username: Ghetto_butterfly

Post Number: 655
Posted on Tuesday, November 21, 2006 - 8:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Took a walk through it today, loved it for its November atmosphere. But I still saw many dilapitaded/vacant houses like on Vandyke and of course, in the nearby ghetto streets. I felt sad about it and sad that this area is so beautiful and could be "all that", yet is surrounded on one hand by mansions in Indian Village, on the other hand by slums. I walked east on Agnes, passed a "grocery store" (aka Party store), an antique store, a bakery for wedding cakes, Harlequin Cafe with a notice on the front door that they got evicted on April 26 this year (I heard good things about this restaurant), the Parkstone apartments building (what a gem) and felt sad by the possibilities of not having been explored yet or having been neglected. Maybe some day (soon)... I live nearby on Jefferson and consider it my neighborhood.

Eastsidedog

Post Number: 842
Posted on Tuesday, November 21, 2006 - 8:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit_girl, what kind of car?

Detroit_girl

Post Number: 71
Posted on Wednesday, November 22, 2006 - 11:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The one that was hot-wired was a 1998 or '99 Toyota Corrolla that was fairly new at the time. The cops found it a couple of days later with the airbags ripped out and some broken windows. The dealer was able to fix it completely but my insurance company dumped me.

After the Corrolla I got a Mitsubishi Eclipse that was smashed while parked by a random accident on Van Dyke the VERY same night I brought it home from the dealership. The car situation was one of my main motivators for moving, really.

Eastsidedog

Post Number: 843
Posted on Wednesday, November 22, 2006 - 12:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry to hear that Detroit_girl. Parking on the street can be a real bitch. A lot of it is luck. Sounds like it especially sucks to park right on Van Dyke. Suprised to hear the stolen car was an import and not an SUV.

Ghetto_butterfly, what you say is very true. Parts of WV look very rough, no doubt. But from talking to lifetime residents, I've heard it was an absolutely crime-ridden and dangerous neighborhood just 5-10 years ago (stories of automatic weapon fire, open drug dealing and prostitution, no kidding -- I've heard it used to be a "no service area" i.e. no police show up period).

The transformation so far seems to be nothing short of amazing. On Seyburn in the summer I always see lots of kids playing in the streets, lots people sitting on their porches talking, in general it's very safe now -- and very diverse in age, race you name it. I've heard from longtime residents that Parker used to be a lot like Seyburn is now -- just 5 years ago. Describing the area west of IV as slums isn't really accurate, to use a "Jacobian" term it is currently "unslumming." Since the two years I've been there I can count 23 houses/rowhouses off hand (on Parker, Van Dyke, Seyburn and Baldwin) that have either been totally rehabbed or undergone major repairs/improvements. What's slowing the neighborhoods "unslumming" right now is the weak economy and some problematic property owners who own derelict properties and refuse to sell for realistic prices.

BTW, the Harlequin was fantastic or terrible depending on who you talk to. Sherman was definitely an interesting neighborhood character that is missed. I'd love to see a neighborhood pub open in its place (like the one opening in Woodbridge). It will all come in time. That strip has a magical feel to it that I just can't quite describe.

(Message edited by eastsidedog on November 22, 2006)

Detroit_girl

Post Number: 72
Posted on Wednesday, November 22, 2006 - 1:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Heh heh. The Harlequin at times was a fun place to have brunch and spend a wine-drinking afternoon. IF we were with someone who was friends with Sherman. Otherwise, service was terrible.

One time we went into Columbine's Champaign Cellar and were sitting at the bar. About 15 minutes later Sherman approaches and asks for $12 cover charge. I don't think so. Not surprised they got evicted.

Sknutson

Post Number: 736
Posted on Wednesday, November 22, 2006 - 1:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eastsidedog: When I lived on Parker by Agnes in the early 1980's, it was not much different than it is today. A lovely and well-kept block. My partner and I parked on the streets for two years without a problem.

At that time, however, I would not have wanted to live on Parker between Agnes and Kercheval, and would have to have been an urban pioneer venture over to Seyburn.

Eastsidedog

Post Number: 848
Posted on Wednesday, November 22, 2006 - 1:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sknutson, yeah I'm referring to Parker between Agnes and Kercheval and Seyburn between Lafayette and Kercheval. My neighbor on Seyburn bought his house in 1991 for $4000 cash at an auction at COBO. He has told me many, many stories...

Eastsidedog

Post Number: 849
Posted on Wednesday, November 22, 2006 - 1:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit_girl, yes I've heard MANY stories like that about Sherman and the Harlequin. I ate and drank there a couple times and was lucky. It was really nice to to have a place to walk to though...

(Message edited by eastsidedog on November 22, 2006)

Detroit_girl

Post Number: 73
Posted on Wednesday, November 22, 2006 - 1:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah. Have Honest? John's withing walking distance was nice too.

Eastsidedog

Post Number: 851
Posted on Wednesday, November 22, 2006 - 2:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah Detroit_girl, he left WV with an empty lot and a vacant bar. :-(

Dougw

Post Number: 1442
Posted on Wednesday, November 22, 2006 - 2:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Another option with parking your car on the street is to purchase a vehicle which comes with an ignition key immobilizer. For example, all Volkswagen models come standard with this feature, which means that for all practical purposes, the vehicle cannot be stolen. Problem solved.

It looks like ignition key immobilizers are becoming more popular on recent domestic models, too.

Ghetto_butterfly

Post Number: 656
Posted on Wednesday, November 22, 2006 - 5:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Doug, any idea how far back VW's are equipped with this feature? Mine is a '99 Jetta. How do you know whether your car has it?

Dougw

Post Number: 1443
Posted on Wednesday, November 22, 2006 - 10:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looks like '99 VWs had them. See http://www.automotive.com/1999 /12/volkswagen/new-jetta/speci fications , open the Ride/Braking section. www.automotive.com seems like a pretty good site for looking up specs on older models. Looks like even Chrysler models have immobilizers now, checking some '07s.

One way to know if your car *doesn't* have an immobilizer, is if you have an all-metal key. A key with an immobilizer has a plastic handle, with the chip inside.

Ghetto_butterfly

Post Number: 658
Posted on Thursday, November 23, 2006 - 5:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Doug. That's good information. I never knew this immobilizer even existed, and I have it in my car. Makes me feel better. I wonder if car thieves know about this feature because even though we had several rashes of car thefts/vandalism in my neighborhood over the last years, my car was never affected, not even an attempt of break-in. I like my trusty little Jetta and plan on driving it into the ground.

Ohudson
Username: Ohudson

Post Number: 158
Posted on Wednesday, November 29, 2006 - 8:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, I am a new resident of West Village, too. I moved in about 3 weeks ago on St Paul. I got a fixer upper gem of a townhouse that I couldn't pass on. Thanks for all the info, luckily I have parking in the back.

Welcome to da hood!

Itsjeff
Username: Itsjeff

Post Number: 7168
Posted on Wednesday, November 29, 2006 - 8:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

<------

Click here, Ohudson.

Dabirch

Post Number: 1963
Posted on Wednesday, November 29, 2006 - 12:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ESD --

I really need to get a pair of your glasses.

You are doing wonders with your house, and it looks great. There are others that are doing wonderful things as well.

However, when I moved into the neighborhood, we had two upscale restaurants (Harlequin and Van Dyke Place), and sandwich shop and bakery, a coffee shop, and Honest John's all within easy walking distance.

None of those places are there -- and none have been replaced.

I love the neighborhood and will miss it. But let us not make it out to be something it is not.

You can love and support the city with eyes wide open.

Eastsidedog

Post Number: 856
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 6:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dabirch, I think that those places just hung on really long. None were on main thoroughfares OR near the freeway (Agnes, Field and Van Dyke?) and since everyone drives in Detroit, those are hard locations to do business in. The neighborhood will have to reach critical mass before it gets a cool neighborhood place, probably in 3-10 years depending on the economy. People will tire of downtown eventually (I think many already have) and the close in neighborhoods will become popular. Corktown already has. Maybe when the riverwalk is done, WV/IV will become hot as Corktown, Midtown and Downtown get oversaturated.

Right now house parties seem to be the social scene in WV/IV. Lately, I feel like I'm going to a party at someones house every other weekend.

I guess when you have such a beautiful house, why go out!

BTW, what year did the Riviera turn into Indian Village Market, from what I hear that was an immense improvement.

Oh and thanks for the compliments on the house. It still needs a lot of love though. It's so oddly positioned on that crappy corner. Hoping for nice infill around us some day. But until then we'll try to make that corner shine. :-)

Dabirch

Post Number: 1971
Posted on Tuesday, December 05, 2006 - 11:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The IV Market was definitely an improvement.

Keep fighting the good fight ESD. Just keep your eyes open and be conscious of the faults -- otherwise they will never be addressed.

Hopefully you will be able to stick it out until there is a neighborhood place to eat and drink, when people can leave their cars on the street overnight, and when you wife and kids can go for a walk by themselves at dusk or before sunrise, and you don't have to worry about their safety.

I was always sure i would make it until that time as well.

Peace.

Eastsidedog

Post Number: 857
Posted on Tuesday, December 05, 2006 - 12:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dabirch, I understand everything you're saying and fully realize I'm in the Honeymoon period with the neighborhood right now. I'm very conscious of the neighborhoods faults, I'm surrounded by them since I'm on the edge (not on Parker) -- 7 vacant lots and a boarded-up house right outside my window.

But I like to see glass half full so to speak. It important to remember that neighborhoods are not houses and stores, they are collections of people, and I've met some great and interesting people in WV that have changed my view of the world forever.

Good Luck in SoCal Dabirch. Sorry we couldn't hang more.

Sknutson

Post Number: 744
Posted on Tuesday, December 05, 2006 - 1:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eastsidedog: Where in WV do you live?

Eastsidedog

Post Number: 858
Posted on Tuesday, December 05, 2006 - 1:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On the edge. The bleeding edge. :-)

Eastsidedog

Post Number: 859
Posted on Tuesday, December 05, 2006 - 1:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll beat Eric_c to the punch and tell you that I actually live in Islandview. But I am literally 5 feet outside the WV border south of Kercheval north of Lafayette (but I'm a WVA member). That help?

(Message edited by eastsidedog on December 05, 2006)

Eric_c
Username: Eric_c

Post Number: 897
Posted on Tuesday, December 05, 2006 - 4:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Beat me to the punch"?

Why I would never be so bold as to call attention to the fact that you live in Islandview! We poor slobs in Islandview know our place, sir!

Field Ave. -atcha!

Eastsidedog

Post Number: 860
Posted on Tuesday, December 05, 2006 - 6:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lol. :-)

I'm just perpetratin. It's true.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.