Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » Korean food « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Lakesuperior
Username: Lakesuperior

Post Number: 152
Posted on Wednesday, November 22, 2006 - 11:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hey all--- i checked through the archives and didn't find many mentions of good korean food in the area. the only recent mention i found was for naysa in windsor (recommending it), does anyone care to comment on naysa or to direct me to some other awesome korean restaurant?

i'm looking for somewhere with great korean food, serves cocktails, and has decent ambience. if the ambience is asking too much, i'll take great food and the cocktails.

thanks!

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 6018
Posted on Wednesday, November 22, 2006 - 11:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I went to Naysa, excellent food & very friendly staff.

Did you go for the regular menu or the weekend bbq special? I noticed too that there is a second Korean BBQ place open on that stretch of Wyandotte, I have yet to try that one.

Superaygun
Username: Superaygun

Post Number: 541
Posted on Friday, November 24, 2006 - 11:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the only places i know are both outside of the city, in Southfield, but are both excellent: New Seoul Garden on Northwestern Hwy (that stretch that runs right along the Lodge at Telegraph; it's the pricier of the two, but very nice) and Mi Loc at Nine Mile and Beech Rd (a little more homey, and has great sushi too). if you want ambiance i'd go more for New Seoul. their bi bim bap is yummy, and they also have a terrific Japanese menu.

(Message edited by superaygun on November 24, 2006)

Brandon48202
Username: Brandon48202

Post Number: 123
Posted on Friday, November 24, 2006 - 11:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is a place on Maple Rd in Troy called Shilla. I haven't been there for a few years and I'm not sure if it there anymore.

Crash_nyc
Username: Crash_nyc

Post Number: 674
Posted on Saturday, November 25, 2006 - 3:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've never heard of any exceptional Korean restaurants in the CoD, unfortunately.
One of my sisters lived in Seoul for 2 years though, and is always on the lookout for good Korean around town. I remember her mentioning a restaurant on Mound Road in Utica that she was fairly impressed with (can't think of the name though). Apparently, they have authentic Korean BBQ (bulgogi, kalbi, etc) with traditional cook-it-yourself grills built right into the tables.

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 1448
Posted on Saturday, November 25, 2006 - 11:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ann Arbor is the place for Korean food in the area... probably more Korean restaurants there than the rest of metro Detroit combined.

Supposedly there will be a Korean booth or something similar at the new Asian Village market by the RenCen, which will be nice. Not a full-fledged restaurant, though, I don't think.

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 3685
Posted on Saturday, November 25, 2006 - 4:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Shilla is still there. BTW, what is Korean food like? I have never had it. Is it similar to Chinese?

Brandon48202
Username: Brandon48202

Post Number: 124
Posted on Saturday, November 25, 2006 - 4:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The signature Korean dish is called Kim-Chee. Is is made by placing cabbage, garlic and hot red pepper paste in a pot, burying it and letting it ferment for a long period of time. This process results in a foul smelling dish that they love.

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 3325
Posted on Monday, November 27, 2006 - 8:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

mmmmmm....bulgogi....

*droolin*

Sailor_rick
Username: Sailor_rick

Post Number: 150
Posted on Monday, November 27, 2006 - 11:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Shilla's A-1 G.I.
Located on 15 mile east of Crooks, traditional Korean & Sushi.
Authentic decor, great lunch deals with side dishes including kim-chee.
They have the burners for BBQ at the tables.
No hic, Soju (Korean Sake)though.

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 818
Posted on Wednesday, November 29, 2006 - 12:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The restaurant on Mound was another Seoul Gardens.

The flavors I associate with Korean are garlic and vinegar and peppers. I think it's really hearty delicious food.

I like kim chee too.

One of the nice things about eating Korean is the array of small dishes they bring to the table at the beginning. dibs and dabs of vegetables. I could live on the cold sesame spinach. In fact I think I will go make some now!

If you have a group of people, New Seoul Gardens has tatami rooms, where you take off your shoes and eat in a pit in the floor with a barbeque on the table. Spend a couple of hours. Divine.

Track75
Username: Track75

Post Number: 2449
Posted on Wednesday, November 29, 2006 - 9:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Seoul Garden is on Dequindre, just N of 15 across from the Polish Cultural Center. Not quite as nice as New Seoul Garden, no private rooms, but bulgogi grills at many tables. Korean/Japanese menu with sushi.

(Most Korean places also have portable tabletop BBQs if all the tables with built-in BBQs are taken.)

Dabirch
Username: Dabirch

Post Number: 1965
Posted on Thursday, November 30, 2006 - 10:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Track 75 --

That is a great little strip mall.

The Korean joint, a couple of Lebanese bakeries, a Thai place, an Indian place, an eastern European bakery, and the Polish Village and Polish Market across the way.

Going into that Seoul Garden on a sunday afternoon is great.

Pretty much everybody is Korean and everybody is coming from church. It is an interesting spot.

Track75
Username: Track75

Post Number: 2453
Posted on Thursday, November 30, 2006 - 1:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That is a great strip. We go stuff ourselves on bulgogi yet can't resist a stop at the bakery on the way out. I worked in Korea for a while, the Korean food here is very authentic. The western food in Seoul is ummm, different.

It's an interesting area. On the one hand it's physically just your typical Troy/Sterling Heights subdivisions and strip malls. One the other hand there's more true ethnic diversity there than in most of Detroit. On my block I had neighbors that were first-generation German, Polish, Indian, Filipino, Serbian, Chaldean and Korean. Not to go off on a suburb-city thing, but my neighbors in Detroit were rather bland by comparison.

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 819
Posted on Thursday, November 30, 2006 - 2:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You're right, Track. My bad.

I've been dreaming of a Korean feast since I read this thread.

Hairybackjoe
Username: Hairybackjoe

Post Number: 9
Posted on Tuesday, December 05, 2006 - 3:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You might also try Woo Lee Garden just north of 12 Mile Road on the west side of Southfield

or

W. F. BiBimBab
Main Street development, 43155 Main St., Novi

Both restaurants offer very good ambience and alcohol service. I tend to lean towards the food being better at Woo Li, however.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.