Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » Are the posts on www.detroityes.com falling off? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Bob_cosgrove
Username: Bob_cosgrove

Post Number: 430
Posted on Friday, November 24, 2006 - 2:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It seems to me there have been fewer posts on www.detroityes.com in the last month or so than there were before. Am I right? If so, why?

Bob Cosgrove

Bussey
Username: Bussey

Post Number: 372
Posted on Friday, November 24, 2006 - 7:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What is your metric for this equation?

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 3333
Posted on Friday, November 24, 2006 - 9:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is no easy way to measure that and the software administration tools do not have a measure of that. Besides does a one word post in "Word Association" equal a lengthy and probing post in another?

This I can easily find. Since the new version of the the forum software was installed in Oct. 2003, this is thread number 87,805 [can be seen by looking at your status bar when mousing over the thread name on the topic list] and is post number 596,686 which can be obtained by view page source of this thread.

One thing is certain and measurable is that 'viewership' has been steadily increasing all year, even during the normally slower summer months and has grown every year since inception in 1999.

Visits to the forum alone [as opposed to the whole DetroitYES site] is on a track to surpass 1.6 million for the year. An average visitor is viewing 6.01 pages [threads in this case] per visit and staying for 10 minutes and 24 seconds. Peak days are now topping 7K visits.

While visitors are predominately from metro Detroit the whole world is watching with visits coming in from all around the earth.

As forum participants we are the proverbial small tip of the iceberg. Our words and views of Detroit are reaching a an immense and often influential audience.

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 8995
Posted on Friday, November 24, 2006 - 9:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some posts may have trickled off due to a core group of former posters who have either left or have been banned.

Bussey

Post Number: 373
Posted on Friday, November 24, 2006 - 9:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

and i say to that ... good riddance.

I had enough of the fudge when I was at Mac In Ack

Buddyinrichmond
Username: Buddyinrichmond

Post Number: 78
Posted on Friday, November 24, 2006 - 10:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Word to that Bussey!

It's good that we still have some real Detroiters on here putting their money up and investing in the D! Happy Thanksgiving!

Bob_cosgrove
Username: Bob_cosgrove

Post Number: 431
Posted on Friday, November 24, 2006 - 10:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lowell's as-alwyas excellent comment emphasizes the importance of www.detroityes.com is in the number of viewers, not necessarily in the number of posts. Perhaps, if I'm correct that there's been a decrease in postings and I don't know this for certain, it's caused by seasonal factors.

I'd rather see good posts than just posts for posts sake.

Bob Cosgrove

Bussey

Post Number: 374
Posted on Friday, November 24, 2006 - 10:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Buddy....what are you talking about?

Restoretheroar
Username: Restoretheroar

Post Number: 714
Posted on Friday, November 24, 2006 - 11:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe it's because this forum blows now. Not every art project can be an "A".

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 3140
Posted on Friday, November 24, 2006 - 12:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well we've covered soooooooo many topics thru the years. Everything from bus routes... Belgian neighborhoods.... pigeons.... movie palaces.... buildings downtown.... East side versus West side... politics.... race relations... crabby posters... ad nauseum...

Rustic
Username: Rustic

Post Number: 2955
Posted on Friday, November 24, 2006 - 1:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dance around it all you want, but clearly CRIME is responsible for the recent drop in posts ...

Bussey

Post Number: 375
Posted on Friday, November 24, 2006 - 2:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought it was the lack of street level retail?

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 4257
Posted on Friday, November 24, 2006 - 2:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lack of a good Transit system?

Knocturnal
Username: Knocturnal

Post Number: 174
Posted on Friday, November 24, 2006 - 2:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The unemployment rate has dropped over the past month, which means some people that are normally on here have lives now.

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 250
Posted on Friday, November 24, 2006 - 2:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lack of a cheesecake factory downtown...

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 1789
Posted on Friday, November 24, 2006 - 4:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Middle schoolers losing their computer access at school.

Tetsua
Username: Tetsua

Post Number: 917
Posted on Friday, November 24, 2006 - 8:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think Ndavies has anyone too scared to post. :-)

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 1069
Posted on Friday, November 24, 2006 - 8:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Since the addition of the spellchecker (and whatever other changes), I've noticed a bit more lag on DetroitYES. As a result, a few times I think I clicked the "perform search" button under "Messages since I last checked for new messages" too many times, causing me to miss some messages. Since then I've learned to be more patient and that seems to work just fine.

Ventura67
Username: Ventura67

Post Number: 90
Posted on Friday, November 24, 2006 - 10:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe our sports teams have us depressed and in hiding; bringing us to the brink of greatness, then falling short (Wolverines, Tigers). Or the ones that just plain stink (Lions Spartans).

Crash_nyc
Username: Crash_nyc

Post Number: 676
Posted on Saturday, November 25, 2006 - 3:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I for one have posted less (or at least started less threads) on the Non-Detroit side of the board, because I've become sick & tired of Karl hijacking every other thread. The original subject could be something politically inert, but he always figures out a way to ruin a completely good discussion, by twisting it into an anti-liberal rant (the Kramer thread is a good example). Some posters just can't seem to ignore this troll. He's simply narrow-minded and ignorant, and seems to have nothing better to do with his life than post on this board. I wonder what kind of reaction his "spiritual advisors" might have if they saw his web logs. Ridiculous. Don't waste your keystrokes on deaf eyes.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 7154
Posted on Saturday, November 25, 2006 - 5:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some posters are still learning to deal with him...since I learned that ignoring to the point of feigning his death (on my side of the ether, obviously) even doesn't work. He is the UNdead of Trolls...can somebody give me a graphic workup of a few Zombie Trolls?!

Just when I consider conversation with him totally wasted energy, he turns human for an instant and I give him another chance. I'm big on that love and forgiveness stuff...although it can be tough sometimes.

If it weren't for more than a few individuals (including two 'tangibles' whose opinions I hold in very high esteem, you know who you are!) saying encouraging things to me privately I would have considered the whole energy expenditure in extreme error.

That said, I still stand by my comments spoken in the day and a half after the last election day when he did another of his micro-disappearances.

We need every opinion above board and available for all to consider, because it does NOBODY any good to have hidden thoughts, feelings, or agendas. They always bubble to the surface when things get warm...just ask Michael 'Kramer' Richards. Better to sort everything out before the test.

If one of us cannot speak out their basest and most honest opinions, understandings, feelings, reactions...whatever...then ALL OF US lose out.

Without worthy opponents to challenge our understanding...how would any of us know when we're wrong?!

When could you then recognize when you're right?!

You couldn't.

You'd just be under the delusion that because everyone NEAR you is laughing and nodding their head...that you are the brightest bulb in the room.

Doubt is uncomfortable, but through discomfort we gain strength, wisdom, and courage.

Not a one of us endures growth without pain.

Dday
Username: Dday

Post Number: 862
Posted on Saturday, November 25, 2006 - 8:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's one reason why I have been posting less....

You people cheerleading the posters who were banned kill me. Some of the most high profile projects in Detroit were, in no small part, done by people that either who no longer post, were banned during the "purge", or do not contribute anything of near the substance as, say, back in 2002. Anyone who as been here for longer than a couple of years knows of whom I speak. Most of them were run off by ignorance just like that cheerleading and their work continues (de.g. The Vinton Building) without this forum, but these are the people that have replaced them.....

quote:

and i say to that ... good riddance.

I had enough of the fudge when I was at Mac In Ack

Done a deal regarding Tiger Stadium lately? Well, guess what someone who used to post here was instrumental in putting that deal together. Someone whom I count count on as a very close and dear friend. I have to laugh when I see him come on to fend off off some of the ignorance, rumors, and innuendos that periodcally appears on here. So think about that as your wishing good riddance think about that. There was a time when this forum didn't tolerate such things and was a reliable source for things going on i9n Detroit. Not anymore, though

quote:

Word to that Bussey!

It's good that we still have some real Detroiters on here putting their money up and investing in the D! Happy Thanksgiving!

Say, buddyinrichmond, done any of the legwork putting together creative financing packages to get the B-C job done and stick with trying to get it done for years? Yep, that was done by a former forumer no longer contributing here and not investing his money into Detroit. Word to that. Oh, by the way, Happy Thanksgiving to you, too.

You want to doubt my credentials or take me to task because I no longer live in the D? I, at least, tried to save the Columbia with a handful of no longer contriubuting. Some of you forumers may have enjoyed the 4th Annual Tour de Troit. Well, the 1st Annual was my idea and I did all of the logistics for it. The 2nd Annual was held, and took a loss, all while I was unemployed. Another "old school" forumer has taken the ball from me and run successfully with it. The unpaid volunteers that helped me get it going....well, most of them no longer post here or contribute, but many can be found on that other, somewhat chocolatey, site.

The forum "bandwidth" may be increasing but the information has much more of a "white noise" quality to it. Because of that I fail to see how "influential" the audience is. My guess is that movers and shakers in the city don't regard this forum as they once might have. The number of users may climb but the activism is gone. Style over substance.

Too bad......

(Message edited by D-Day on November 25, 2006)

(Message edited by D-Day on November 25, 2006)

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 1258
Posted on Saturday, November 25, 2006 - 8:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

SuperSport artificially inflated the post numbers with his rapid fire forumizing - aint been the same since Sof8mile was born.

LOL

Restoretheroar
Username: Restoretheroar

Post Number: 715
Posted on Saturday, November 25, 2006 - 10:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dday- perfect.

It is always better to be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt. This forum should take that to heart.

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 818
Posted on Saturday, November 25, 2006 - 11:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So, if you rehab a building or put on a bike tour then you should be allowed to swear and treat other people rudely on a forum of public opinion? It means your opinion is more important than that of others because you have better "credentials"?

Susanarosa
Username: Susanarosa

Post Number: 1254
Posted on Saturday, November 25, 2006 - 3:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was going to stay off of this thread but I can explain why I don't post as much...

Every time I posted something that I knew from my current or previous employment, I was constantly told that I was wrong, didn't know what I was talking about and argued with.

It gets annoying when you have 18 year old college kids debating every single thing you say. I shouldn't have to post my resume before posting here.

Bussey

Post Number: 376
Posted on Saturday, November 25, 2006 - 5:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is an INTERNET FORUM. What ever impact this has on the rebirth of Detroit I think is severely limited at best. It is merely a place to voice opinions, share info, seek out info, and dream.

The OPINIONS and THOUGHTS of random voyeurs should not be the driving force behind urban development and frankly cannot be.

D-Day, take the hubristic tone out of your voice and look around. This is Detroit.

I just got back from taking my dogs for a walk and saw a guy get on a bus not before throwing his finished 40oz in some ladys front lawn, a man rummaging through my dumpster, and the local "mole" fixing up his house that has no running water, electricity, gas, or windows. He has a porch ready to collapse and plywood over every window yet felt the need to fix his porch steps and paint them too! If this is the "contribution" you feel you have so humbly performed thanks but, here's the kicker, THE CITY STILL BLOWS.

making a cool downtown with fun bars and a forum to talk about it isn't going to change the fact that poverty is out of control, the homeless are everywhere and every corner has a liquor store and a church.

More solutions are needed and I don't think that your pals who have fixed up a few dots on the map are going to finish the job by yourselves. Ford built the "Renaissance Center" and did that make the city great?

It takes regional planning and cooperation and most of all positivity.

Lowell banned certain people because he has a right to, this is his site. But the city and our views are ours so we can say what we want regarding it. Don't feel that you are superior to a persons opinion due to your perceived status as messiah or savior. There have been plenty like yourself before and there will be plenty more after and the problems of Detroit will still exist. Only a fool goes up against an army with a handgun.

To quote Goonies, "Where are , where are you? You are in the clouds and we are in a basement. This is incredible. I feel like I'm babysitting and not getting paid."

If you and your arrogant, ostentatious, pompous, and self-rightous friends want a sound board start Hot Fudge Part Two. Until then Stop Whining.

Matt
Username: Matt

Post Number: 1131
Posted on Saturday, November 25, 2006 - 7:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BANG!

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 428
Posted on Saturday, November 25, 2006 - 8:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What was this "purge," when did it occur, and who was "banned?" My curiosity is piqued and poked.

Bussey

Post Number: 378
Posted on Saturday, November 25, 2006 - 8:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Certain people, as seen below

equate Lowell with this historical figure

Another example of how dead Detroit is. Your world is over when you get banned from an online forum so you REVOLT, start your own forum, and spend countless hours debating the worthiness of the forum you sought to replace.

Like a bad episode of Degrassi.

Crash_nyc
Username: Crash_nyc

Post Number: 677
Posted on Sunday, November 26, 2006 - 4:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gannon on Karl:

quote:

He is the UNdead of Trolls

LOL!!!!!

quote:

Without worthy opponents to challenge our understanding...how would any of us know when we're wrong?! When could you then recognize when you're right?!
You couldn't.

This might hold true with some dissenting posters with half-a-brain, but the problem with Karl is that he's flat-out wrong 90% of the time! Furthermore, his arrogance is like a lead weight, frequently pulling perfectly good threads into a downward spiral, and infuriating every other argument to the point of name calling. He's the lowest common denominator.

quote:

...through discomfort we gain strength, wisdom, and courage.

Karl's one of the few frequent-posters that I feel I've gained ONLY discomfort from, and ZERO wisdom.
Isn't this counter-active to what this board's all about?

Gannon

Post Number: 7165
Posted on Sunday, November 26, 2006 - 5:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the smile on my way to sleep, finally.

Cheers, Crash!

(I don't think Karl if flat out wrong that often, but since he NEVER admits any sort of fault it just seems that way.)

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 10905
Posted on Sunday, November 26, 2006 - 8:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I suppose we were long over due for a thread where people bitch and cry about who's been banned, how the forum has changed, blah, blah, blah. So people leave, get banned, or rip off their noses to spite their face, who cares?

I still find the forum to be one of the most powerful tools for Detroit. It is what it is, an online community. Sometimes you don't like some people in your community. You either need to learn to tolerate it, or move on, and it seems some simply find the path to move on to be the one more easily traveled. So be it, as I still say don't let the door hit them in the ass.

Can people still not meet via the forum? Can development projects still not be conducted via the forum? Can deals like the Book Cadillac still not happen with the aid of forum participants? I'm left scratching my head wondering what truly has changed, the forum, or the people? I'm thinking it's the people.

Gannon

Post Number: 7169
Posted on Sunday, November 26, 2006 - 11:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sport,

You cannot delete or ban people from your neighborhood.

If that were the case, some of your neighbors might push that button and launch you back to Adrian.

The goal should be tolerance at the very minimum, and some punishment for continued abuse of the rules...but banning someone from the community is so-o 1700's Puritanical crap that I'm amazed anyone who considers themselves enlightened in the 21st century would even consider it.

It is easier than dealing with those who are inconvenient to you.

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 10906
Posted on Sunday, November 26, 2006 - 1:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gannon,

Perhaps you should be a full time moderator for this site then, taking on the full legal responsibility of everything posted.

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 6023
Posted on Sunday, November 26, 2006 - 1:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bussey hits the nail on the head.

Bussey

Post Number: 381
Posted on Sunday, November 26, 2006 - 2:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

danke

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 3346
Posted on Sunday, November 26, 2006 - 2:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is clear we can't make everybody happy as much as I wish we could. If anyone is unhappy with the management of this site or can't abide by its rules there is always the option to not participate in it or even read it. I understand there is a whole para-site built on nothing more than making those complaints and ridiculing members of this forum. I’m sure those unhappy here will find a home there.

That's the beauty and real democracy of the web. If you don't like what someone is doing and offering for free, you are free to easily go do your own thing in cyberspace's infinite real estate.

Regarding the relative quality of discussion of the moment, I have heard that assertion repeatedly on several forums over the years, dating back to the pre-web UseNets of the 80's. That sentiment has cycled through here four or five times. Then, one day, a raft of hot topics lights up the board and that is all forgotten. Forums have a pulse like that; it’s their nature.

Regarding the coming and going of members, that is also a timeless forum behavior likewise dating back to the UseNets - some just move on, some take pauses, some have to stop due to job positions, some get bored, some stomp out, some come back, leave and come back again, some get run off for bad manners -- the reasons are endless. Meanwhile the forum "just keeps rollin', keeps on rollin' along". Numerous new people sign up every week.

Time to wrap up this thread and get back to the purpose of this forum - Discussing Detroit. If anyone has any further comments regarding the management of this site, have suggestions, wish to report abuse, etc., please click the CONTACT MODERATORS link at the left bottom and tell us about it.