Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » New York Yes? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Harmonie
Username: Harmonie

Post Number: 648
Posted on Monday, November 27, 2006 - 10:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know we have a few Detroiters who currently reside in New York and I was hoping to get some recommendations for interesting tours, historical sites, fun corner bar type places and/or anything else that I should see/do on my first real trip to NYC. I will be there this Friday morning until Monday evening.
Appreciate any and all suggestions.

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 693
Posted on Monday, November 27, 2006 - 10:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't live there but I think this place looks cool:

http://www.tenement.org/

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 694
Posted on Monday, November 27, 2006 - 10:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Another museum:

http://www.coneyisland.com/mus eum.shtml

Neilr
Username: Neilr

Post Number: 391
Posted on Monday, November 27, 2006 - 11:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Harmonie, since this is your first trip and it's only four days, I won't bother suggesting out of the way places.

My main recommendation would be Central Park. My favorite area is the north-east quadrant around the Harlem Meer and the Conservatory Garden.

If you like looking at buildings, the apartments on Central Park West, especially from 65th Street to 81st are breathtaking. Don't miss the Dakota on 72nd and the Beresford on 81st. Also, notice the brickwork on 55 CPW. It changes color as it rises. The movie Ghostbusters was set here. The blocks just off the park in the 70's have fine, old townhouses. Don't miss them.

On the East Side, walk along 5th Avenue to see some of the most expensive, refined, apartment buildings in NYC. Also, tour the nearby side streets for amazing townhouses.

If by any chance, you find yourself up in Harlem, Strivers Row on 138 &139th Streets is one of the finest, most architecturally significant townhouse neighborhoods in the city.

In what area will you be staying? What are your particular interests? I hope you have good weather; but even if it's raining just buy an umbrella and get out and about! Good luck!

Cjdb16
Username: Cjdb16

Post Number: 152
Posted on Monday, November 27, 2006 - 11:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do the Circle Line boat tour.

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 1516
Posted on Monday, November 27, 2006 - 11:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I did the boat tour with my wife a few years ago and it was very enjoyable. I have seen mid Manhattan to Battery Park lots of times, this time I saw the whole island (from the water) and it was great.

Downtown_dave
Username: Downtown_dave

Post Number: 108
Posted on Monday, November 27, 2006 - 11:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Grand Central Terminal is awesome. I've gotta recommend that. Enjoy lunch at the Oyster Bar while you are there. Sit at the counter and watch 'em put together all the pan roasts.

A walk to/from Brooklyn on the Brooklyn Bridge is also memorable. The views of the skyline are tremendous as is the architecture of the bridge itself – all the patterns of cables and its massive towers. You can’t beat the cost – free! – and the pizza is very good from the kiosk at the walkway entrance.

Per Pam's suggestion, the Lower East Side Tenement Museum is a bit off the beaten path, but well worth a visit to get a sense of the immigrant experience in this city. It's not far from Little Italy and Chinatown where you can see these "living" examples, too.

I look forward to a similar museum experience that will eventually be available to Detroiters when Corktown's Workers Rowhouse Museum opens its doors.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 1729
Posted on Monday, November 27, 2006 - 1:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Harmonie: Where are you staying? That may make a difference.

Why hasn't anyone recommended these obvious sites?

* Empire State Building (yes, the view from the Observation Deck is a must!)
* New York Public Library
* Museum of Modern Art
* Metropolitan Museum of Art
* The Guggenheim
* St. Patrick's Cathedral
* Rockefeller Center (a tour of the NBC studios is always fun! and you can check out The Today Show during its air time each morning)
* Rockefeller Plaza
* The Ed Sullivan Theatre on Broadway where Letterman tapes his show (always a crowd around 5:30 or so at the stage door to watch the guests come and go)
* The Broadway Theatre district (get your 1/2 price tickets at TKTS in Times Square)

I recommend long walks up and down and across 5th Ave, 7th Ave., and Broadway.

Check out Restaurant Row on 46th St. between 8th and 9th.

If you like books, I recommend the Gotham Book Mart at 16 East 46th Street and the Strand Bookstore at 828 Broadway (in lower Manhattan).

Have a great time!!!

Harmonie

Post Number: 649
Posted on Monday, November 27, 2006 - 2:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks all! I will be staying in Manhattan, but I'm not sure exactly where. I am going to do some if not all of the obvious spots. I found a bunch of free walking tours that I am going to have to pick and choose between.
It's good to hear what things people really like beyond the obvious too.
As for bars...can someone recommend a down to earth corner bar? Like the Beaubien or the Anchor Bar?

Jfried
Username: Jfried

Post Number: 920
Posted on Monday, November 27, 2006 - 2:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Metropolitan Art Society Tours -

http://www.mas.org/viewcategor y.php?category=19

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 7192
Posted on Monday, November 27, 2006 - 3:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone know the name of that Irish bar with the basement a few blocks off Time Square?!

That place was a f'in' riot. Drink two Irish Car Bombs with the authentic Irish barkeeps in the basement to start one of your nights. They'll slam 'em with you, so you'll help their night, too.

Check the Living Room website, there are two CD release parties Friday night...you never know when you'll see someone who at least should be nationally known.

That is down in SoHo, you'll love the vibe there...and this bar has simply the finest sound system for a small venue that I've ever heard.

Rosa Mexicano (two locations, First Ave at 58th and 61 Columbus Ave at 62nd, I've only been to the First Ave location), this place has off-the-charts guacamole, mixed table-side in a lava rock bowl.

Look at their martini list, try the first three that appeal to you. Don't be afraid of the pomegranate one. You'll thank me for this.

Get down to the Lower Manhattan walking tour...I think they meet every Saturday morning...they'll take you through Wall Street and Battery Park and everything inbetween...it'll blow you away, and you've GOT to get down there to see the Lady Liberty from across the water.

My thinking friend in NYC lives right down there, and took that walking tour...then immediately shared it with me the next day, when we went up to the WTC one month before 9/11. I'll see if he can give us the specifics, but you might just want to search on those terms and see what pops up in the ether.

Sit in the same seat where Will Smith made his decision to become a Man in Black down in Battery Park. Heh.

Everydayislikesunday
Username: Everydayislikesunday

Post Number: 284
Posted on Monday, November 27, 2006 - 4:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

McSorley's Old Ale House
15 East 7th Street

No frilly cocktails - but this is one of the oldest bars in Manhattan, a city classic and an echo of a golden, gun-slinging age. A saloon bar with swing-doors, sawdust floors and a long wooden counter, your drinks choice is light or dark ale. Women were not allowed in until 30 years ago: if they come now they’ll find a youthful, rowdy crowd mixing with elderly regulars and queuing round the corner.

http://www.mcsorleysnewyork.co m/

Kathleen

Post Number: 1730
Posted on Monday, November 27, 2006 - 4:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

After annual trip to NYC on business for some 20 years where I made sure that I got the most out of each visit, plus one family vacation in the Big Apple in '98, I haven't been there in 7 years. I'm going to keep all of your suggestions in mind for the next trip which, I'm hoping, is next year to celebrate a milestone birthday.

Harmonie

Post Number: 650
Posted on Monday, November 27, 2006 - 5:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kathleen...21?

Saw your hubby the other night at Cliff's...does he have a fake i.d. too:-)

Valkyrias
Username: Valkyrias

Post Number: 377
Posted on Monday, November 27, 2006 - 5:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

be prepared to smoke outside at the bars, hun...i think they have banned smoking in all eating and drinking establishments over there...

Gannon

Post Number: 7202
Posted on Monday, November 27, 2006 - 5:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Musicians and their groupies are never carded.

Especially the good ones.

Kathleen

Post Number: 1732
Posted on Monday, November 27, 2006 - 6:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

21? FYI...our older son just turned 21!!!

Harmonie: Sorry I didn't make up to Cliff Bell's on Friday night, but I did go last night to R.J.'s Birthday Party at the Cadieux Cafe. Boy, what a time it was!!!

Have a great time in the Big Apple!!!

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 1495
Posted on Monday, November 27, 2006 - 7:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The tour of Radio City Music Hall was worthwhile when I took it a few years ago. Personally I sometimes like the lower profile sites and tours - places you wouldn't normally learn about or see (e.g. Society of Illustrators gallery). Here are a couple of more webpages for ideas - http://www.clubfreetime.com/ne w_york.asp, http://nyc.freecityevents.com/

I've always wanted to take the Penn Station tour but have never been there at the right time :-(

Harmonie

Post Number: 651
Posted on Monday, November 27, 2006 - 11:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kathleen,
Yeah...going out Friday and Saturday though I wasn't quite better made me feel double sick on Sunday and had to miss RJ's gig:-(

Oh..and Val...my smoking has been WAY down lately...I heard it was bad for you:-)

Gannon

Post Number: 7215
Posted on Monday, November 27, 2006 - 11:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Harmonie,

Here is the info for that walking tour...sounds like the same one my friend took, including their emphasis on the 1920 terrorist attack on the JP Morgan building.

Of course, when he took it they weren't talking about any 9/11 memorial...I still have my collection of pictures from that walk.

Valkyrias
Username: Valkyrias

Post Number: 378
Posted on Tuesday, November 28, 2006 - 12:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

good for you harmonie...i know it's hard to kick the habit, so baby steps are a good thing :-)

Crash_nyc
Username: Crash_nyc

Post Number: 680
Posted on Tuesday, November 28, 2006 - 7:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ahhh, New York City: Lived here for 11 years, and it's my second home (after Detroit, of course).

Kathleen named most of the obvious sites, but keep in mind that a visit to a major museum takes up a LOT of time, and admission can be pretty pricey. So if you're on a tight schedule and/or a limited budget, make sure that you do your homework beforehand. One major museum that I haven't seen listed (and my favorite of them all) is the American Museum of Natural History. The Rose Center Planetarium there is very cool.
http://www.amnh.org/
http://www.amnh.org/rose/?src= h_p

Also, here are some smaller museums that I highly recommend visiting:

Lower East Side Tenement Museum
http://www.tenement.org/

New York Transit Museum
(in the heart of Downtown Brooklyn: Boerum & Schermerhorn)
http://nymag.com/listings/attr action/new_york_transit_museum /index.html

As far as an observation deck goes, I'd avoid the Empire State Building, and opt for the brand-new observation deck atop Rockefeller Center ("Top of the Rock"). While the Rock's not as tall as the ESB, it has a MUCH cooler observation deck (trust me on this one)! Also, if you're pressed for time, the line to get to the top of the ESB is pretty insane -- you'll spend more time in the lobby than you will at the top. The Rock has an advance-ticket purchase system that allows you to select what time you want to visit, considerably reducing wait-time once you get there.
http://www.topoftherocknyc.com /ODTStatic/site.htm

Ellis Island is a great place to visit (time-consuming though), Avoid the Statue of Liberty. It looks much cooler from a distance, and you'll cruise right past it on the way to Ellis. Another great boat ride is the Staten Island Ferry. It's free, and also offers great views of the Statue of Liberty, as well as Lower Manhattan.

If you plan on visiting Ground Zero, you obviously won't see much, but a must-see down there is St Paul's Chapel, adjacent to Ground Zero. Nowhere will you feel the power of the tragedy of 9/11 more than here.
http://www.saintpaulschapel.or g/

On a more positive note, you'll want to check out some bars too. My favorite hangs are in Williamsburg, the East Village, Lower East Side, and a couple in Midtown (but I generally get a nosebleed anywhere above 14th St).

Here are a few Manhattan recommendations:

EAST VILLAGE:

Bull McCabe's
St. Mark's Place, bet 2nd & 3rd Aves
http://www.ryansnyc.com/ryans/ aboutbull.htm

7B
E. 7th St. & Ave B

Niagara
E. 7th St. & Ave A

Baraza
Ave C bet. 8th & 9th
http://www.worldsbestbars.com/ city/new-york/baraza-new-york. html

LOWER EAST SIDE:

Motor City Bar
YES, THERE IS ACTUALLY A DETROIT THEME-BAR IN NYC (not like you'd expect either -- much cooler, true to the D). DEFINITELY WORTH CHECKING OUT.
Ludlow St, bet Rivington and Delancey

MIDTOWN:

O'Neils
3rd Ave bet 44th & 45th Sts

Subway Inn
E. 60th St & Lexington
http://newyork.citysearch.com/ profile/11349653

Mica Bar
E. 51st bet 2nd & 3rd Aves

WILLIAMSBURG, BROOKLYN:

My neighborhood: a 5-minute ride on the L-train from the East Village (to Bedford Ave). "The East Village Annex". The bar scene is great, less pretentious, and a little less crowded on the weekends. Here are my local recommendations (all walkable from the subway stop):

Laila Lounge
N. 7th bet Berry & Wythe
http://www.lailalounge.com/

Brooklyn Ale House
N. 8th St. & Berry
http://www.brooklynalehouse.ne t/

SpikeHill
Bedford Ave. & N. 7th St.

Brooklyn Brewery
N. 11th St. bet Berry & Wythe
You should treat yourself to "happy hour" at the Brooklyn Brewery on a Friday evening. Yep, happy hour INSIDE a brewery. They also have tours on Saturdays.
http://www.brooklynbrewery.com /

Oh yeah, eats. I could do a book on this, but my short-form recommendation for a very unique only-in-New-York (and maybe Tokyo) experience would be "Kenka" on St. Mark's Place in the East Village (bet 2nd & 3rd Aves) -- the place with the huge badger with blinking red eyes). If you get there early (before 7) on a Saturday, it shouldn't be too much of a wait. It's a super-funky Japanese izakaya, truly authentic to Japan (a rarity), but also true to the East Village. My wife is a Tokyo native, and she loves this place.
http://www.yelp.com/biz/9xRIcn 0jTyvWNH9aBO3oAA
Here's what it looks like, because there's no sign in English:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/z ippy/46826681/

Have fun in NYC, Harmonie!

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 815
Posted on Tuesday, November 28, 2006 - 9:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm with Crash. The Empire State Building is best viewed from the Top of the Rock. Buy your tickets in advance and walk right in.

Gannon

Post Number: 7228
Posted on Tuesday, November 28, 2006 - 12:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ask every cab driver what their favorite Brazilian restaurant is, or if they don't have one that they know...what have they heard is good.

After you notice a trend, go there for your last night meal...let that be your lingering nourishment memory of your first visit to NYC.

Gannon

Post Number: 7229
Posted on Tuesday, November 28, 2006 - 12:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm pretty sure we ate at that Kenka in the Village that crash mentions, too. I'll have to check with anyone in my group that might have short term traumatic memory...it was raining and nasty that whole weekend.

Made the town the ugliest I'd ever seen it...Labor Day is when much of NYC leaves and goes elsewhere, isn't it?!

It's like a big exchange of humanity, since we travelled there...so most were down from the weather...

...and we had to suffer those New Yorkers pissed that they had to work that weekend, and those bummed they couldn't afford to go away.

Gannon

Post Number: 7230
Posted on Tuesday, November 28, 2006 - 12:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's it...from now on for this neo-Luddite...it'll be fasting from humanity for these holidays.

Makes more sense.

Probably just doubled my survival rate.

Magnasco
Username: Magnasco

Post Number: 189
Posted on Tuesday, November 28, 2006 - 4:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is no survival gannon...a quote from Death that I saw in an email tag the other day said: "You get the same thing everyone else gets, a lifetime..."

the problem is they all end the same...

Gannon

Post Number: 7238
Posted on Tuesday, November 28, 2006 - 5:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can we talk about why you're getting e-mail from people quoting Death?!

Sure cain't be those nice people in the Optimist's Club...

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.