Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » Historic House Repair Question « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Psewick
Username: Psewick

Post Number: 65
Posted on Saturday, December 02, 2006 - 4:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was a bulge in my kitchen wall caused by the plaster having come off the lathe beneath. (This house is from the 1860's.) I have removed the bad, loose plaster, and now I am wondering what the best way is to cover it up. Should I fit a rectangle of wallboard into the hole, or should I get a special kind of plaster to apply right back over the lathes? If I should go with option #2, what kind of special plaster would I need? Or would plain old joint compound suffice? (In case you can't tell, this is my first house and I'm learning as I go.)

My girlfriend is going to smack me when she sees what I did.

Thanks for your help! :D

--Paul

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 4318
Posted on Saturday, December 02, 2006 - 5:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Patching plaster, not joint compound, would be the best solution, but not the easiest to work with in large areas.

I've had success, at least to the eye, with a patch of wallboard thinner than the original plaster, then covering it with patching plaster to the level of the rest of the wall.

I have to admit, the areas were no larger than 3 sq feet, but they've held up for over 10 years.

Psewick
Username: Psewick

Post Number: 66
Posted on Saturday, December 02, 2006 - 5:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think I'll do the wallboard plus thin layer of patching plaster solution. The area I have to cover is three feet by two feet.

Thanks! :-)

Jams

Post Number: 4320
Posted on Saturday, December 02, 2006 - 6:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Be careful removing the lathing to access the studs, otherwise a minor repair becomes major.

JamS, still remembering that month repairing the ceiling over the bathtub because he didn't cut through the lathe to install the overhead light.

Cost me a week at the Hyatt to put up my wife while I made the repairs.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 1506
Posted on Sunday, December 03, 2006 - 12:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The wallboard patch is what we always did in our house, too. The hardest part is blending around the edges where the old and new meet. My mom does it well but my edges always end up built higher than their surroundings :-(

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 824
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 12:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A wet yardstick works wonders for level smoothing...

Jams

Post Number: 4334
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 12:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, East_detroit

Never thought of that, while cussing the 12 inch trowel.

Ndavies
Username: Ndavies

Post Number: 2352
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 12:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On one of the home improvement shows they were showing a special washer that would help resolve this problem without removing the plaster. You drive a drywall screw through it and the sagging plaster. This pulls the sag back level with the rest of the ceiling. You'd just then need to cover the divot created by the washer and screw.

http://www.onthehouse.com/wp/2 0030609

(Message edited by ndavies on December 04, 2006)

Wash_man
Username: Wash_man

Post Number: 200
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 4:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

More good info here...
http://www.phouka.com/oldhouse /ren_plaster.html

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 2828
Posted on Tuesday, December 05, 2006 - 8:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was going to mention the method Ndavies mentioned.
I did some plaster repair by drilling holes in bulge, injecting glue behind plaster and then using a plastic washer with drywall screw. When glue is dry after a couple days, you remove the washer.
Plastering is not that hard to do.
mix up some finishing lime.(Wear gloves and face mask! This stuff is bad for your skin!!!!)
Let it sit for a couple days.
Then, make a plaster pizza by placing a ring of lime on a piece of plywood. The size of your repair job will determine the size of your pizza.
Fill the lime ring with water, add moulding plaster until mixture looks like ice cream.
Let it sit for a couple minutes, cut into four wedges, then mix lime with plaster.
Wet lath with spray bottle, slap on plaster, smooth, let dry.
Sounds complicated, but it's quite simple, and the recipe goes back to the Romans.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.