Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » Christmas in Detroit area-where does your employer fit in? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Wash_man
Username: Wash_man

Post Number: 207
Posted on Tuesday, December 05, 2006 - 4:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://money.cnn.com/2006/12/0 4/pf/holiday_work_bonus/index. htm?postversion=2006120509

No bonus for me. Not sure on the days off.

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 728
Posted on Tuesday, December 05, 2006 - 6:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Used to get a bonus years ago but they cut it. 3 days off, used to be 4. They have a fairly nice x-mas party I've heard, but I don't go.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 1776
Posted on Tuesday, December 05, 2006 - 8:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Two paid holidays (Dec 25 and 26 this year since Christmas Eve is on Sunday). We have a pretty liberal vacation plan plus 2 flexible holidays each year so the majority of our employees are out for the last two weeks of the year. (I'm out beginning Dec 20 through the end of the year using up my remaining vacation days. Plus I've got 3 days off before the 20th to take or lose.)

In addition, each employee receives holiday lunch in the company cafeteria, a $25 Amazon.com gift certificate, plus two free company products (worth $35 or so, and which are generally appreciated by employees).

(Message edited by Kathleen on December 06, 2006)

Wash_man
Username: Wash_man

Post Number: 209
Posted on Tuesday, December 05, 2006 - 8:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember as a kid, our gifts were a reflection on the size of my Dad's bonus. Small or no bonus=small gifts. Bigger bonus, bigger gifts. He received it in the middle of the month, then my mom immediately went to do the Christmas shopping. No credit cards for them back then. Cash only, from the bonus. This probably wouldn't work today.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 490
Posted on Tuesday, December 05, 2006 - 8:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Two paid holidays and no bonus.

Yaktown
Username: Yaktown

Post Number: 66
Posted on Tuesday, December 05, 2006 - 8:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My company has a "bonus payout dinner" usually in the middle of January, helps with the post Xmas bills! It's a casual affair, held in the building lunchroom after work. For 2005, every employee got a bonus of 5% of their gross annual pay. That's the biggest bonus I've ever received. I'm crossing my fingers for it this year! Some people get even more bonuses for going beyond their goal. That's pretty generous I'd say. Also, we have a formal Christmas dinner the first Saturday in December every year. However, since they stopped the open bar, I no longer go. :-)

As far as holidays go, we are scheduled to have 8 holidays off every year, as well as 2 "floating holidays" to use at your leisure. Since Christmas Eve and New Year's Eve both fall on a Sunday this year, we got 2 extra floating holidays.

Brandon48202
Username: Brandon48202

Post Number: 130
Posted on Tuesday, December 05, 2006 - 8:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We are each getting 2 cookies with green and red sprinkles. We are getting the 25 and 26th off.

Imperfectly
Username: Imperfectly

Post Number: 162
Posted on Tuesday, December 05, 2006 - 11:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My employer is pretty good, they take us out to dinner, we get a gift card to somerset, and the week off after xmas. The week off isnt paid...I work on commission but I dont care I make enough money the week of Christmas it doesnt really matter.

Mudflap
Username: Mudflap

Post Number: 188
Posted on Wednesday, December 06, 2006 - 8:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Brandon, do you know how big the cookies are going to be this year?

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 9029
Posted on Wednesday, December 06, 2006 - 11:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I used to get a turkey (actually a $30.00 voucher) but ever since the Yanks came over to head our company they have tried to nickel and dime the workers to death. Economics 101 states you can't nickel and dime a company to prosperity.
Anyhoo, no Christmas "bonus" this year.

Yaktown
Username: Yaktown

Post Number: 68
Posted on Thursday, December 07, 2006 - 12:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I also used to work at Arbor Drugs from 1990-1996. Our Christmas "bonus" was a deli tray for each store. Woo hoo.

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 835
Posted on Thursday, December 07, 2006 - 10:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My employer just laid people off. Ho Ho Ho!

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 396
Posted on Thursday, December 07, 2006 - 2:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I second that! This time of year is the favored time of year for large companies to axe people. As the budgets for the new year will have monies to pay the laid off people. Guess who gets to divvy that up?

Detroitrulez
Username: Detroitrulez

Post Number: 29
Posted on Thursday, December 07, 2006 - 5:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I once worked at a Meijer when I was a sophomore in HS....our grocery manager gave me one of those canned hams, with a little key to open it. Not a policy but more as a joke. I kept it for along time and it started to swell up...we were going to blow it up with some M80's but were concerned about shrapnel, so we tied the M80 to it and threw it in the lake.....it was pretty much anticlimactic.

Brandon48202
Username: Brandon48202

Post Number: 131
Posted on Thursday, December 07, 2006 - 9:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You should have thrown it through your manager's home window with an M80 on it. That would have been a lot better.

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 1602
Posted on Friday, December 08, 2006 - 12:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We don't really get anything - most floors/depts have potlucks which are employee funded.

Miketoronto
Username: Miketoronto

Post Number: 392
Posted on Friday, December 08, 2006 - 11:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't get me started on Christmas and the workplace.

My company does nothing, and ontop of that is forcing us to work every single day during the holiday. So I have to work Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, New Years Eve, New Years Day. And the hours are so stupid I miss family dinner on all four days.
Christmas Day is not written in stone yet, but it looks like night be forced, so I included it.

And I work for the government. I am so friggen mad, its not even funny. No bonus, no nothing, and not evein one of those days off.

Sticks
Username: Sticks

Post Number: 155
Posted on Saturday, December 09, 2006 - 3:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I actually attended my employers holiday party earlier this evening (couldn't drink too much, had to drive home then head out to some bars). They don't really monitor the drinking when the vodka-cranberries are 80-20 and a whiskey straight-up is at least 4 to 5 single shots.

Scottr
Username: Scottr

Post Number: 98
Posted on Saturday, December 09, 2006 - 4:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

no bonuses at this place, in fact, my employer is laying off about 1/3 of our workforce in the weeks before christmas (including myself). however, although they aren't required to, they are still paying us our 6 days of holiday pay for the week between christmas and new years. i guess it really isn't their fault - we lost a lot of work this month, it wasn't just rampant cost cutting. still sucks that it's right before christmas, not to mention, in a market with virtually no jobs.

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 2920
Posted on Saturday, December 09, 2006 - 5:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

So I have to work Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, New Years Eve, New Years Day. And the hours are so stupid I miss family dinner on all four days.

Christmas Day is not written in stone yet, but it looks like night be forced, so I included it.

And I work for the government. I am so friggen mad, its not even funny. No bonus, no nothing, and not evein one of those days off."

Boo-Hoo! Try doing it for 20 frickin years in a row and I might listen.

Oh yeah, when you're done with your shift on Christmas Eve, instead of going home to your own cozy bed, go check-in to an empty hotel in an industrial park a few hundred miles away, then we'll talk.

Andysrc
Username: Andysrc

Post Number: 146
Posted on Saturday, December 09, 2006 - 5:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We usually get a bonus roughly equal to 2% of our annual salary. There's a fancy holiday party somewhere in Detroit next Thursday. This year we're off 12/22 - 1/1. It's pretty nice. A few years ago we actually had two full weeks off.

Track75
Username: Track75

Post Number: 2460
Posted on Saturday, December 09, 2006 - 11:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Merry Christmas, MikeM. Umm... be of good cheer?

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 1549
Posted on Saturday, December 09, 2006 - 11:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

no bonus, no dinner, no gifting, Christmas Day and New Year's Day off (unpaid) unless you volunteer to work (time and a half if you do)

(Message edited by lilpup on December 10, 2006)

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 2922
Posted on Sunday, December 10, 2006 - 11:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Track :-)

Sorry to not address the topic...after working years at a large corporation with no bonus, now that we are bankrupt, I get $50 for working Christmas Day and New Year's Day.

My first job in my industry was working for a sole proprietor: Christmas bonus $500 (about 3 weeks wages back then) and a season pass to the local ski hill, and I didn't have to work Christmas day to get it!

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 102
Posted on Sunday, December 10, 2006 - 12:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wow, what line of work?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.